NFL 2023

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: NFL 2019

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:57 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:22 am
Mahomes's extraordinary talent and greatness is obvious to anybody who watches him for even a few minutes. Even so, I have to say that I was perhaps most impressed with his incredible feats of athleticism while under pressure during the big game. Not all his passes were completed, and as noted that was often the receivers' fault, but either way, his ability to "extend plays" as they say and then to get throws off from every conceivable arm angle from overhand to underhand and all kinds of contorted body positions, including one while almost parallel to the ground, sometimes seemingly while not even looking towards the receiver, and to have most of those throws be accurate at least to the point of giving the receivers chances to make plays was astonishing.
Mahomes is a Bernie Kosar/Michael Vick hybrid. He is unconventional mechanically-speaking in a Kosar kind of way, yet possesses the incredible elusiveness that Vick once displayed.
You ain’t never lied.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

About the Rams-Lions trade: Did the Rams get fleeced? If the Lions do a successful rebuild and the Rams don’t win a Super Bowl with Stafford then I would agree with that.

But consider that in all Stafford’s seasons with Detroit, they had a top 10 defense exactly once. The Lions went 11-5 that season. The Rams had the number 1 rated NFL defense in 2020. They clearly lost confidence in Jared Goff and are hoping that Stafford can help them win a Super Bowl in the near future.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/308 ... ources-say
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bill in CT wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:31 pm
About the Rams-Lions trade: Did the Rams get fleeced?
The trade price was high because Goff's contract is a giant albatross
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:50 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
That’s part of it. Another part is that Stafford has been a more productive quarterback than Goff.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Bill in CT wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:59 pm
Zip City wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:50 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
That’s part of it. Another part is that Stafford has been a more productive quarterback than Goff.
And boy wonder fancies himself the ultimate QB whisperer. (He must be quite the pillow-talker, too.)
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:36 am
Haha. Can you say "one & done"? I knew you could.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gotta hand it to him
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Day 1 in Gainesville I thought he was swarmy. He's not a good loser, when he realized he could never beat Alabama
he had a heart attack. That won't work again so he's going for the morality clause and USC is looking for a coach.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Is there some cosmic filter that makes famous people not know that there are things called cellphones and they have cameras and everyone has one?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:14 pm
Is there some cosmic filter that makes famous people not know that there are things called cellphones and they have cameras and everyone has one?

Especially when you’re in a restaurant with your name on it while wearing Ohio State gear
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:20 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:14 pm

Especially when you’re in a restaurant with your name on it while wearing Ohio State gear
In his apology he said it started off with him posing for pictures. He knew cameras were there. Mark my words he's USC's next coach.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

For the Seattle Seahawks with Russell Wilson out for 6-8 weeks (of course RW doesn't play defense but that's a discussion for another day):

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tom Brady.

The Patriots, not so much.

beantownbubba

Re: NFL 2019.

Post by beantownbubba »

Congrats to Joe Burrow. 500+ passing yards in a game is pretty damn impressive.

As for the Patriots, they just aren't that good and their record is probably a fair reflection of who they are, maybe even a little better. The Pats win in Buffalo is that much more impressive when you see how much better a depleted Bills team is than a less depleted Patriots team in neutral weather conditions. Chalk another one up for Belichek.

It is hard to understand how N'Keal Henry can have so much talent yet so little success. The mind boggles, but I have to believe that coach Bill has about had it w/ the enigma that is N'Keal. Josh Allen is probably not quite as good as the commentators keep trying to make him out to be, but he's getting there. He should be a top QB for a long time.

Flea

Re: NFL 2019.

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:40 pm

As for the Patriots, they just aren't that good and their record is probably a fair reflection of who they are, maybe even a little better. The Pats win in Buffalo is that much more impressive when you see how much better a depleted Bills team is than a less depleted Patriots team in neutral weather conditions. Chalk another one up for Belichek.

I guess Belichick's nefarious cheating doesn't work so well unless he has a complicit GOAT quarterback (and it pains me to say GOAT in the same sentence as Tom Brady, but he is in spite of his dubious shortcuts).
Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Note to Russell Wilson:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Post by Flea »

The KC/Cinci game today was a lot of fun!
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:45 pm
Ya, Joe Burrow is a tough kid. Lots of good, young QBs in the AFC. I really like Justin Herbert too even though he went to OR.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Flea wrote:
why didn't Andy Reid just let them score and get the ball back w/ some time for Mahomes?

the only way his strategy would have worked would have been to force a turnover (and i guess to be honest, he nearly did via downs, as I thought the going for it on 4th down was really dunb).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:12 pm
Flea wrote:
why didn't Andy Reid just let them score and get the ball back w/ some time for Mahomes?

the only way his strategy would have worked would have been to force a turnover (and i guess to be honest, he nearly did via downs, as I thought the going for it on 4th down was really dunb).
Sunday was a very strange day in the NFL. Thought I had posted about it's obviously not here.

Not only is Burrow the real deal (900+ passing yards in 2 games!), so is Ja'Marr Chase. There's probably a connection there, pun intended :)

I know Andy Reid is considered a great coach, but when I hear his name, the first thing I think of is bad end of game time management. As I remember it, he essentially handed the Super Bowl to the Pats when he coached the Eagles (the Eagles wouldn't have necessarily won but he took away their chance to win). I agree w/ your comments, tin, but to me the strangest thing about it was how Cincy's decisions paralleled the ones in the Jets game. In that one, the Bucs scored a winning TD which sort of proves the Jets right for not kicking the field goal but I dunno... You don't often see one sequence like that on a typical wkend, but to see 2 w/in minutes of each other was weird. Speaking of which, kinda sorta, the trend of NFL teams going for it more on 4th down seems to have finally taken hold this season and that's a good thing,

And then of course there was the AB fiasco and what I thought was the fiasco of the announcers never letting it go and beating it to death. After the initial appropriate if rabid coverage, it was like opening the NY Times to find that the stories were all from the National Enquirer. I thought Brady's post game comments were on target and impressive, real GOAT material. Yes, what AB did was wrong and downright strange, but the guy is obviously very troubled in ways that go way beyond the field. I think we all have trouble dealing with great talent squandered and I get it, but at some point other things become more important.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:10 am

And then of course there was the AB fiasco and what I thought was the fiasco of the announcers never letting it go and beating it to death. After the initial appropriate if rabid coverage, it was like opening the NY Times to find that the stories were all from the National Enquirer. I thought Brady's post game comments were on target and impressive, real GOAT material. Yes, what AB did was wrong and downright strange, but the guy is obviously very troubled in ways that go way beyond the field. I think we all have trouble dealing with great talent squandered and I get it, but at some point other things become more important.
Someone pointed out that his actions may be real-time evidence of CTE. Apparently his demeanor has changed significantly since his intro to the league, and he has taken quite a few cranial blows like this one:

Now it's dark.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

a Steelers fan i know said he hasn't been the same since that Burfict hit.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Next weekend's Buffalo @ KC game should be a doozy! This weekend was boring for the most part. Nice that SF sniped the Cowpies. GB is going to be way tougher. & although I really like Joe Burrow, the Raiders got robbed by the officials. Really terrible officiating impacting both teams that game.

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:22 am
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:45 am
Next weekend's Buffalo @ KC game should be a doozy! This weekend was boring for the most part. Nice that SF sniped the Cowpies. GB is going to be way tougher. & although I really like Joe Burrow, the Raiders got robbed by the officials. Really terrible officiating impacting both teams that game.
NFL officiating is what it is. It just gets more attention at this time of year because the stakes are higher and often there are more cameras. Officiating in real time is really, really hard and if we're going to continue to judge the officials using multiple angle super slo-mo, they're always going to come up short. Plus, the idea that the teams and their fans are somehow entitled to perfect refereeing is, to me, a bizarre concept.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:53 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:45 am
NFL officiating is what it is. It just gets more attention at this time of year because the stakes are higher and often there are more cameras. Officiating in real time is really, really hard and if we're going to continue to judge the officials using multiple angle super slo-mo, they're always going to come up short. Plus, the idea that the teams and their fans are somehow entitled to perfect refereeing is, to me, a bizarre concept.
Part of the problem is the NFL take apart teams of officials that have been working together all season for the playoffs. It doesn't make much sense.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:35 pm
Part of the problem is the NFL take apart teams of officials that have been working together all season for the playoffs. It doesn't make much sense.
No, it doesn't.