MLB 2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: MLB 2019

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:Good thing the Red Sox horrible start is taking place on the west coast where the time difference means that less attention is paid (but this being Boston, the Sox still get more attention than your average baseball team). Last nite, Mookie Betts comes up w/ the bases loaded, 1 out and the Sox down 4-3. Last year that's an almost guaranteed double and the only question is whether 2 or 3 runs score. This year, Betts hits a sac fly. Not a terrible result but a late inning tie is just not enough for this year's edition and they lose on a walk off hit just after Betts saves the day by throwing out a runner at home w/ a perfect laser of a throw. It's still early but this is not the script we expected to be reading from.
In the home opener Betts came up in the 8th w/ the Sox down 2 and 2 men on. This is not last year. He struck out.

Didn't see your earlier Q re Sale, zip. Hard to tell from my relatively sheltered life (I don't talk to that many people about the sox) but I think there's more concern than outright panic re Sale at this point. But panic is never far off.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tomorrow night (2nd of 2 against you know who) will tell whether it's time for full scale panic in the hub, which will still be a bit short of all out Panic In The Hub. Tonight was a tale of 2 games: Paxton was flat out terrific; one of the better pitched games I've seen in the past few years. The Red Sox sucked, epitomized by having 2nd and 3rd & nobody out w/ the heart of the order up and not scoring. Something's gotta give pretty soon.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Tomorrow night (2nd of 2 against you know who) will tell whether it's time for full scale panic in the hub, which will still be a bit short of all out Panic In The Hub. Tonight was a tale of 2 games: Paxton was flat out terrific; one of the better pitched games I've seen in the past few years. The Red Sox sucked, epitomized by having 2nd and 3rd & nobody out w/ the heart of the order up and not scoring. Something's gotta give pretty soon.
Sale appears broken.

Of course Kris Bryant also appears broken so we have our own troubles In Chicago
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I think the Mariners might lead the league in home runs & lose 100 games in the same season. That would be memorable!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:I think the Mariners might lead the league in home runs & lose 100 games in the same season. That would be memorable!
So you think they're going 49-92 the rest of the way?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

All of the hope inspired by the Sox sweep of Tampa Bay over the weekend was wiped out over the course of yesterday's day/night doubleheader sweep by the Tigers. At Fenway! Only Chris Sale provided cause for optimism: Velocity down a little but overall stuff, control, approach and results were pretty darn good. Not that it mattered in the end.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:All of the hope inspired by the Sox sweep of Tampa Bay over the weekend was wiped out over the course of yesterday's day/night doubleheader sweep by the Tigers. At Fenway! Only Chris Sale provided cause for optimism: Velocity down a little but overall stuff, control, approach and results were pretty darn good. Not that it mattered in the end.
From #1 in runs scored last season to #22 so far this year. Sox need to warm up those bats and quickly!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

watching mariners play in san diego. what a great ballpark, my favorite. been to a few games there. like it more than t-mobile (formerly safeco) in seattle. & i've been to fenway. cool for an old timey vibe. went to yankee stadium before the new one. the history was cool but it was a bad 70s design.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Sox need to warm up those bats and quickly!
I would say they heard you, except it was like watching a little league game: 2 walks w/ the bases loaded (on 8 pitches if IIRC), the bases got loaded on 2 walks and a HBP, etc. Though 11 runs is 11 runs and there were some timely hard hits so we'll definitely take it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sox actually looked pretty good tonight in all phases of the game, except Jackie Bradley's error which was a real shocker on general principal. The ball was really jumping off their bats even if some of the best shots were foul. Detroit got a Pesky Pole HR, just one more example of how Fenway works in mysterious ways.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

chuckrh wrote:watching mariners play in san diego. what a great ballpark, my favorite. been to a few games there. like it more than t-mobile (formerly safeco) in seattle. & i've been to fenway. cool for an old timey vibe. went to yankee stadium before the new one. the history was cool but it was a bad 70s design.
Petco is better in person than on TV, by far. I was very impressed with Safeco, sorry can't keep up with all the name changing. I liked it better than AT&T, or whatever it's called now. Fenway is easily my favorite. Wrigley was very friendly to me as a person rooting for SD. They just kept buying me Old Styles and calling me San Diego. But that was 30 years ago. May be even better now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Have the Red Sox righted the ship? Probably too soon to say for sure, but the signs are positive. The team is at .500 for the first time since March. Their run differential is positive for the first time all season. The pitching is getting there. Sale pitched superbly last nite, the back of the bullpen has been just a hair short of spectacular and the other starters have all made progress. The hitting's not where it needs to be but is better than it was, led by something of a resurgence by Mookie and JD Martinez's steady excellence. Devers is still a hole on defense but is making it up w/ vastly improved offense. And Jackie Bradley is doing things that only Jackie Bradley can do (find the tape of last nite's catch!) although hitting .150 is just preposterous. After losing a heartbreaker on Monday which was a carbon copy of the kind of games they used to win last year, they've rebounded nicely. It's early May and they're in the middle of things. That's enough for the moment.

In other news, even if not one white player actually believes trump is toxic and dangerous to minorities (!) couldn't at least one white player show solidarity w/ his teammates of color and not go to the white house today? Everyone denies it of course but I don't see how this won't be divisive as the season moves along. "Everyone" now says that Jackie Robinson's teammates should have refused to stay at hotels or eat at restaurants that refused him service; this would seem to be a modern day equivalent.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Phillies @ Cubs, 4 games starting tonight. Let's get it on.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:Phillies @ Cubs, 4 games starting tonight. Let's get it on.
Game 1 goes to y'all, but I think we still win the series. Preview of the NLCS? could be...
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Random notes from recent games:

Houston has to be the team to beat. They are a seriously good team and gave the Sox as much as they could handle & more WITHOUT Altuve and Springer. Whoa! Verlander looks like he's lost 10 years, throwing 97 in the 7th (IIRC). Even though he lost the game, he looked really sharp.

Tyler Glasnow is the real deal. Barring injury and the usual pitfalls of stardom/celebrity, this kid could dominate the league for the next decade or more.

Chris Sale's 17 K game was a joy to watch. Beautiful and overpowering, but at least in my house, "you" just knew that it was a mistake to bring him out for the 8th. Tough break to lose a game after pitching so brilliantly but we have to face facts: It's the rare pitcher who can go more than 7 in this day and age and right now Sale isn't one of them. Neither is Porcello, who pitched a game remarkably similar to Sale's the next night. He doesn't have the overpowering stuff and didn't strike out 17, but he, too, dominated until he didn't and ended up losing the game.

It was interesting to hear the Red Sox TV announcers talking about how the Sox were losing just the kinds of games they won last year. That's exactly what I've been saying. The difference between winning and losing is razor thin and a whole lot has to go right to have a year like last year's.

I have really hoped, without rational support, that Dustin Pedroia could make it back to being a productive major league player. He was a great player, fun to watch and a real catalyst for the team. While the door hasn't been slammed and nailed shut, it seems that what was unlikely is now virtually impossible. Sad end to a great career and the anticlimactic ending of the past 2+ years probably leaves him short of the HOF.

Anyone who watched Devers last year had to see that he had the kind of talent he's displaying now. That he would break out so big this year was not exactly predictable but it hardly seems surprising to me, yet there's a ton of "can you believe this kid?" talk. Of course the fact that he's only 22 (!!) and has also improved his defense to almost tolerable levels (he made a superb play yesterday that he never would have made last year) while breaking out at the plate is pretty damn impressive.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: I have no idea who this guy Russo is but how does a guy who claims that Trout's not a top 10 player still have a platform from which to spout? At some point contrarianism leaks over into flat out wrong. And who would listen to a guy who has opinions like that?
I'm very envious of you that you don't know who he is. I don't have any idea how this is possible. He had the number one sports radio show in NY for 20 years "Mike & the Mad Dog" with Mike Francesa. I get exposure to him because i listen to MLB Network Radio daily and usually go to walk at lunch at 12:30 or so and unfortunately catch some of his show. I wish I didn't

i have never heard of the guy.

but then again i avoid sports radio like the fucking bubonic plague. nothing good can ever come of listening to that, or 'talk radio' in general. it's a boiling cesspool filled with bile and pus.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Brutal, ugly, brutally ugly, painful loss by the Sox to the Tribe tonight. The kind of game that could well be a turning point, in either direction.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: I have no idea who this guy Russo is but how does a guy who claims that Trout's not a top 10 player still have a platform from which to spout? At some point contrarianism leaks over into flat out wrong. And who would listen to a guy who has opinions like that?
I'm very envious of you that you don't know who he is. I don't have any idea how this is possible. He had the number one sports radio show in NY for 20 years "Mike & the Mad Dog" with Mike Francesa. I get exposure to him because i listen to MLB Network Radio daily and usually go to walk at lunch at 12:30 or so and unfortunately catch some of his show. I wish I didn't

i have never heard of the guy.

but then again i avoid sports radio like the fucking bubonic plague. nothing good can ever come of listening to that, or 'talk radio' in general. it's a boiling cesspool filled with bile and pus.
Russo is cut from the same cloth as Colin Cowherd, Mike North and Skip Bayless. If you tell your awful opinions loud enough, people will listen. And call in. And share their even worse opinions.

ESPN programming has far too much “hot take” content as well.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Wow! June 15th, lots going on, and no posts in 18 days. How about this? Padres floated trading Hunter Renfroe Friday. He hit 3 home runs last night. If that's his reaction, I say keep him! 21 home runs. Tied for third highest in MLB.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Fernando Tatis Jr. If you have not seen him, go out of your way to see him. Clearly I'm a Padre fan, but I have never seen a player like him. He is 20 years old. He has displayed Ozzie Smith (originally a Padre) defense, with a better arm. Tony Gwynn batting, with more power. And clearly the best baserunner in MLB now. He missed 5 weeks due to hamstring injury, caused by an amazing splits at second base. I try not to be a homer. Not gonna go nuts over Machado or Hosmer. But Renfroe, Tatis, and Yates are true all stars. P.S. Serious props to Charlie Blackmon after that series in Denver.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:He has displayed Ozzie Smith (originally a Padre) defense, with a better arm. Tony Gwynn batting, with more power. And clearly the best baserunner in MLB now.
Good thing you're not setting expectations too high :lol: Color me intrigued.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

beantownbubba wrote:
oilpiers wrote:He has displayed Ozzie Smith (originally a Padre) defense, with a better arm. Tony Gwynn batting, with more power. And clearly the best baserunner in MLB now.
Just stating opinions about observations. If he does not get hurt, I will predict be on the box for MLB21 video game.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

oilpiers wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Just stating opinions about observations. If he does not get hurt, I will predict be on the box for MLB21 video game.
Greatest defensive whiz of his generation. Best pure hitter of his generation. Predicted cover boy of MLB21. Equal tiers for sure.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Cortez the Killer
"Greatest defensive whiz of his generation. Best pure hitter of his generation. Predicted cover boy of MLB21. Equal tiers for sure."

Not sure what that means, but I suspect it is some form of condescension. Maybe I'm mistaken. He makes plays like this every game. This was the hardest thrown infield assist in MLB all year.

https://www.mlb.com/video/statcast-tatis-93-4-mph-throw

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Poor man’s Khalil Greene :lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

jordasch

Post by jordasch »

oilpiers wrote:Wow! June 15th, lots going on, and no posts in 18 days. How about this? Padres floated trading Hunter Renfroe Friday. He hit 3 home runs last night. If that's his reaction, I say keep him! 21 home runs. Tied for third highest in MLB.
I think it's worth exploring a trade. He's a really good player, but the team's contention window isn't quite open yet. Maybe trade him now, get some *very good* prospects - emphasis on *very good* - when his value is still high. That's how the Rays managed to put together such a good lineup with such a tiny payroll.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

jordasch wrote:
oilpiers wrote:Wow! June 15th, lots going on, and no posts in 18 days. How about this? Padres floated trading Hunter Renfroe Friday. He hit 3 home runs last night. If that's his reaction, I say keep him! 21 home runs. Tied for third highest in MLB.
I think it's worth exploring a trade. He's a really good player, but the team's contention window isn't quite open yet. Maybe trade him now, get some *very good* prospects - emphasis on *very good* - when his value is still high. That's how the Rays managed to put together such a good lineup with such a tiny payroll.
They have so many "very good prospects" there is no point to trade the player with the second highest HR total in the Majors, for another "very good prospect". His defense has also drastically improved. I know few here watch The Padres, but they have a chemistry that rivals the 2013 Royals. I say trade no one but Kinsler.
Last edited by oilpiers on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Went to SunTrust Park for the 1st time this season tonight, was nice to see the Braves remain SIZZLINGT after this last couple weeks. Dallas Keuchel debuts on Friday, and hopefully some bullpen reinforcements come through in time to stretch this division lead out over the Phillies.

They also did a pretty cool giveaway with replicas of a gold palm tree chain Ozzie Albies wears. It was just a cheap piece of plastic, but people outside the park after the game were buying them for as much as $20. Interesting sight.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

It appears the rumors of Sale's demise are greatly exaggerated. At the end of April his ERA was 6.30, his WHIP was 1.40 and batters were hitting him at a .271 clip. As of today his splits are 3.49/0.97/.202. His K/9 since May is 14.6. A couple starts ago he became the first pitcher to throw 2 immaculate innings (9 pitches, three strikeouts) in the same season since Hall of Famer Lefty Grove did it in 1928. His fastball has been regularly clocked in the upper 90s. If he was broken, I'd say he is fixed now.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM