MLB 2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Zip City »

Cubs scored 28 runs in 3 games and went 1-2.

Every Cubs game is going to be like a Big XII Football game
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Cubs scored 28 runs in 3 games and went 1-2.

Pitching will improve as some of the pen arms get healthy. Somebody like Alzolay becomes an option at some point as well. I’m concerned but not jumping off buildings, especially with as good as the offense looks. Hey, the Yankees lost two of three to the Orioles. It’s a long season.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Pitching will improve as some of the pen arms get healthy. Somebody like Alzolay becomes an option at some point as well. I’m concerned but not jumping off buildings, especially with as good as the offense looks. Hey, the Yankees lost two of three to the Orioles. It’s a long season.
Sure, it's just some fun overreaction to one series, but it's still frustrating to be pounding the hide off the ball and not winning

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

So lots of date rape?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Sure, it's just some fun overreaction to one series, but it's still frustrating to be pounding the hide off the ball and not winning
Serious question, when did overreacting become fun? Listen, I know Cubs fans aren’t alone in this as I’ve seen some Yankee and Red Sox fan reactions that are pretty over the top and even Braves fans are squawking, but after one series in 162 game season? To me this ruins the experience. I’m trying to come up with bright spots while everyone else is jumping off of buildings. The negativity around the Cubs last year was brutal to the point that I had to stop going to Cubs sites for days at a time. Have fans really become so entitled as to demand excellence in the first weekend? I’ve given up every other sport for similar reasons over the years, I’d hate to give up my favorite one. I guess the saving grace is that I no longer listen to local sports radio.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Promised myself I wouldn’t overreact to the first series of the season but the Braves’ young and inexperienced pitching staff from last season looks, well, young and inexperienced still.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Sure, it's just some fun overreaction to one series, but it's still frustrating to be pounding the hide off the ball and not winning
Serious question, when did overreacting become fun? Listen, I know Cubs fans aren’t alone in this as I’ve seen some Yankee and Red Sox fan reactions that are pretty over the top and even Braves fans are squawking, but after one series in 162 game season? To me this ruins the experience. I’m trying to come up with bright spots while everyone else is jumping off of buildings. The negativity around the Cubs last year was brutal to the point that I had to stop going to Cubs sites for days at a time. Have fans really become so entitled as to demand excellence in the first weekend? I’ve given up every other sport for similar reasons over the years, I’d hate to give up my favorite one. I guess the saving grace is that I no longer listen to local sports radio.
Fun wasn't the best word....perhaps tongue-in-cheek? I just know that many Cubs fans (including myself) were very worried about the roster construction, and the first three games pointed to the exact thing that fans were worried about (i.e. counting on an aging pitching staff to all have bounce back years)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Fun wasn't the best word....perhaps tongue-in-cheek? I just know that many Cubs fans (including myself) were very worried about the roster construction, and the first three games pointed to the exact thing that fans were worried about (i.e. counting on an aging pitching staff to all have bounce back years)
For the most part I still think 1-5 the starting staff is poised to be the best in the NL. Obviously the Mets and Nationals are more top heavy and the Dodgers have potential to be, but I think the potential is for the 1-5 ERA to be in the 3.5-3.8 range which should be enough. The bullpen is a different story.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Got a question. SD fan who now lives in Louisville. Reds are the closest MLB team, so they are my go to for live MLB. Along with Phillie, SD and Cincy are arguably the most improved teams in the NL. Since Philadelphia is actually picked by some to win the division, and Cincy and SD are not, between the Padres and the Reds, who will win more games and surprise the baseball world the most?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

oilpiers wrote:Got a question. SD fan who now lives in Louisville. Reds are the closest MLB team, so they are my go to for live MLB. Along with Phillie, SD and Cincy are arguably the most improved teams in the NL. Since Philadelphia is actually picked by some to win the division, and Cincy and SD are not, between the Padres and the Reds, who will win more games and surprise the baseball world the most?
That's a great question. Both really have the same problem and that's pitching and both have pretty good lineups but frankly I like San Diego's more. First, the Reds have a good lineup but are going to miss both Scooter Gennet and rookie Nick Senzel for awhile and that's going to hurt. Also while the Reds have more "names" in terms of starting pitching the Padres might have some diamonds in the rough in Lucchesi and the surprising Nick Margevicius who I saw a little of against the Giants the other night and who, despite not being a single prospect list, looks like he has really good stuff. The Reds have a better bullpen on paper but sometimes theres a funny thing on young clubs where no told the kids they're supposed to be bad. The Reds have virtually no chance at passing the Brewers, Cards and Cubs but it won't surprise me in the least if the Padres were able to hang around long enough to pick up some pitching at the deadline and at least compete for a WC. Is it likely? No, but Tatis is a stud and Urias is on his way and the rest of that team is pretty solid. Oh and their division pretty much blows outside of the Dodgers and maybe the Rockies if everything goes right again. The Padres have the assets to improve in July, the Reds don't and the Reds are probably more likely to be sellers, with only the one July deadline now, than buyers. I think if you're looking for a real surprise the Padres have a much better chance than the Reds. I fully expect them to compete for that division in 2020.

Oh, and it wouldn't shock me if MacKenzie Gore is in AA by June and maybe, just maybe, sees some bullpen action if they're in it in September. He's a future TOR, I'm sure of it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
For the most part I still think 1-5 the starting staff is poised to be the best in the NL. Obviously the Mets and Nationals are more top heavy and the Dodgers have potential to be, but I think the potential is for the 1-5 ERA to be in the 3.5-3.8 range which should be enough. The bullpen is a different story.
I hope you're right, but Lester, Darvish and Hamels are all in their decline years, and Quintana is a complete mystery day to day. Hendricks is the only reliable starter in the bunch

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I hope you're right, but Lester, Darvish and Hamels are all in their decline years, and Quintana is a complete mystery day to day. Hendricks is the only reliable starter in the bunch
Quintana has had one bad season, in 2018, and even then was really good after July with a 3.51 ERA, 3.24 FIP and 1.12 WHIP not to mention the 10.8 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9. His numbers the year before in a Cubs uniform were similar. As far as Darvish he's 32, not 35 like Hamels and Lester so I don't think he's falling apart quite yet and he had great stuff the other night which is what diminishes with age. His problem was an insane lack of FB command which came on after he got repeatedly squeezed by the ump. I think he's a bit of sensitive chap to be honest but I think he's going to be fine. Hamels looked great until he was also squeezed, he should have been out of that inning twice, and he still attacks the plate. Lester is my biggest concern but the guy still knows how to win, think Lackey in 2016. Are there if? Sure there are and I would have loved to see a younger pitcher brought in but que sera sera. I like the Cubs starters better than I like the Brewers and probably better than the Cardinals. This division is going to be about the bats and who pieces the pitching ifs together better.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Promised myself I wouldn’t overreact to the first series of the season but the Braves’ young and inexperienced pitching staff from last season looks, well, young and inexperienced still.
I promised myself I wouldn't overreact to the first series of the season but the Phillies look like they are able to compensate for good-to-mediocre pitching with lots of home runs, at least while playing in Citizens Bank Park. A series at Washington should tell us more, but their lineup is definitely stacked 1 thru 8...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
oilpiers wrote:Got a question. SD fan who now lives in Louisville. Reds are the closest MLB team, so they are my go to for live MLB. Along with Phillie, SD and Cincy are arguably the most improved teams in the NL. Since Philadelphia is actually picked by some to win the division, and Cincy and SD are not, between the Padres and the Reds, who will win more games and surprise the baseball world the most?
That's a great question. Both really have the same problem and that's pitching and both have pretty good lineups but frankly I like San Diego's more. First, the Reds have a good lineup but are going to miss both Scooter Gennet and rookie Nick Senzel for awhile and that's going to hurt. Also while the Reds have more "names" in terms of starting pitching the Padres might have some diamonds in the rough in Lucchesi and the surprising Nick Margevicius who I saw a little of against the Giants the other night and who, despite not being a single prospect list, looks like he has really good stuff. The Reds have a better bullpen on paper but sometimes theres a funny thing on young clubs where no told the kids they're supposed to be bad. The Reds have virtually no chance at passing the Brewers, Cards and Cubs but it won't surprise me in the least if the Padres were able to hang around long enough to pick up some pitching at the deadline and at least compete for a WC. Is it likely? No, but Tatis is a stud and Urias is on his way and the rest of that team is pretty solid. Oh and their division pretty much blows outside of the Dodgers and maybe the Rockies if everything goes right again. The Padres have the assets to improve in July, the Reds don't and the Reds are probably more likely to be sellers, with only the one July deadline now, than buyers. I think if you're looking for a real surprise the Padres have a much better chance than the Reds. I fully expect them to compete for that division in 2020.

Oh, and it wouldn't shock me if MacKenzie Gore is in AA by June and maybe, just maybe, sees some bullpen action if they're in it in September. He's a future TOR, I'm sure of it.
Nice analysis. I've been watching SD on MLBTV for several seasons, and Margot, Cordero, Reyes, and even Jankowski, are skilled outfielders that could breakout in the right environment. Renfroe hit 26 homers last year, he should get better. Paddack had a great pitching debut yesterday. Almost every year it seems at least one team greatly exceeds expectations. My biased guess is it is time for the Padres. At least by next year when they ditch the generic blue and go back to brown and gain some identity. (Don't know what TOR stands for, even after looking all I could find was Toronto.)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

TOR= top of rotation (starter)

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:TOR= top of rotation (starter)
Thanks. I don't actually read, or talk much about baseball, I just watch it way too much. No one I know personally watches any of it, except for a Yankee fan who doesn't watch any other teams.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Having trouble seeing the positives in this Cubs start. Pure poop

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

yo, clams.

apologies for the early inning nola jinx. ball up in the zone.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cubs have issued 35 walks in their first 5 games.

This pitching is total ass

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Cubs have issued 35 walks in their first 5 games.

This pitching is total ass
But some if that has been from guys no one was worried about like Cishek and Strop who normally models of consistency. Darvish walked more guys in his game than he ever has and Quintana and Hendricks aren’t walk machines either. It will get better. This is far more execution than personnel

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok, I take all that shit back. Something is seriously broken

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok, I take all that shit back. Something is seriously broken
I didn’t think Maddon taking out Darvish when he did was a big of a deal as the commentators made it sound last night, but man, Edwards Jr. couldn’t throw a strike. Made the Braves’ bullpen look capable for a change.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok, I take all that shit back. Something is seriously broken
I didn’t think Maddon taking out Darvish when he did was a big of a deal as the commentators made it sound last night, but man, Edwards Jr. couldn’t throw a strike. Made the Braves’ bullpen look capable for a change.
My issue wasn’t so much pulling Darvish, he had pitched much better and it’s understandable that Maddon would want to build on that as opposed to letting him get rocked, but Edwards is awful right now and if he was going to put him in he should have been prepared to pull him out after a batter if he couldn’t find the plate. That was on Joe.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Edwards has a 45.00 ERA and a 29.00 FIP. You can’t make this up

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Edwards has a 45.00 ERA and a 29.00 FIP. You can’t make this up
He’s awful right now. I don’t know if he has options But a trip to Iowa is in order if he does. It’s sucks because I really like Carl and he has world class stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cubs continue to be awful, but the Red Sox are right there with them. Chris Sale appears broken, and his extension doesn't even start for a year or two. Panic in Title Town?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:Cubs continue to be awful, but the Red Sox are right there with them. Chris Sale appears broken, and his extension doesn't even start for a year or two. Panic in Title Town?
we can only hope it is so!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Good thing the Red Sox horrible start is taking place on the west coast where the time difference means that less attention is paid (but this being Boston, the Sox still get more attention than your average baseball team). Last nite, Mookie Betts comes up w/ the bases loaded, 1 out and the Sox down 4-3. Last year that's an almost guaranteed double and the only question is whether 2 or 3 runs score. This year, Betts hits a sac fly. Not a terrible result but a late inning tie is just not enough for this year's edition and they lose on a walk off hit just after Betts saves the day by throwing out a runner at home w/ a perfect laser of a throw. It's still early but this is not the script we expected to be reading from.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The Red Sox' run differential should be troubling. I know it is largely skewed by one game vs. Arizona, but still, not good

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

The Seattle Mariners season explained:

http://sportspressnw.com/2242971/2019/t ... ed-colored