MLB 2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: MLB 2019

Post by Clams »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Harper to the Phillies for 13/$330 mil, no opt outs. Get your tickets Clams!
13 years. What are odds that NL gets DH well before his contract is over?
I've heard it's only 2 or 3 years away. Philadelphia is rejoicing, people are very stoked.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Harper to the Phillies for 13/$330 mil, no opt outs. Get your tickets Clams!
I've heard it's only 2 or 3 years away. Philadelphia is rejoicing, people are very stoked.
That lot of Everready hurlers will be ready to tar & feather him the first time he goes 0-4 :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

After today, I’m assuming in 2 years when Mike Trout hits free agency his agent will start negotiations at $400 million and work from there.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Damn near 100% it will happen long before 13 years
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:After today, I’m assuming in 2 years when Mike Trout hits free agency his agent will start negotiations at $400 million and work from there.
Nope it's got no opt-outs and a he has full no trade clause. He's a Phillie for the next 13 years unless he gets bought out or something. And I predict that the Angels lock Trout up in the next year a la Colorado/Arenado but for more money.

Clams

Post by Clams »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: That lot of Everready hurlers will be ready to tar & feather him the first time he goes 0-4 :lol:
You are angry that the Giants didn't get him and, like most of America, you are clueless as to the ethos* of the Philadelphia sports fan. We are much maligned but we know our shit and we care, and we are good people (well, 99.942% of us are.) You lead a winner in this town and you are a king. This city is already loves Harper.

* I hope I used that correctly

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Clams wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: That lot of Everready hurlers will be ready to tar & feather him the first time he goes 0-4 :lol:
You are angry that the Giants didn't get him and, like most of America, you are clueless as to the ethos* of the Philadelphia sports fan. We are much maligned but we know our shit and we care, and we are good people (well, 99.942% of us are.) You lead a winner in this town and you are a king. This city is already loves Harper.

x2 I hear ya Clams. Well said.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:

The Giants were never, ever gonna get him. He had no interest in hitting on our park. Hard to be angry over something that was never gonna be a thing

And no matter what you say, and I do appreciate your input as an insider, Philadelphia sports fans have more than earned the collective reputation

whatwouldcooleydo?

Big ticket free agents just don’t come to San Francisco. Imagine there are a plethora of reasons for this, but regardless of why, it seems to be a reality. And for clarity, I am saying this simply as a neutral fact

Clams

Post by Clams »

And no matter what you say, and I do appreciate your input as an insider, Philadelphia sports fans have more than earned the collective reputation
No more so than any other big city. Shit goes down everywhere all the time, but it's always a little more convenient to play it with a Philly accent.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:

They say sixty-five percent of all statistics
Are made up right there on the spot
Eighty-two-point-four percent of people believe 'em
Whether they're accurate statistics or not
I don't know what you believe
But I do know there's no doubt
I need another double-shot of something ninety-proof
I got too much to think about

Fuck Harper

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:
No more so than any other big city. Shit goes down everywhere all the time, but it's always a little more convenient to play it with a Philly accent.
Whatever gets you through the night

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Larry Baer catches his wife sexting with Bryce Harper!

#fakenews
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:Larry Baer catches his wife sexting with Bryce Harper!

#fakenews
more like Max Baer :roll:

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Never been a fan of Harper or Machado, but the Padres signed Manny so I have to reevaluate that. In honor of the spirit of this MLB thread, I thought I would post a pic I took 2 days ago. Rode the redline up from downtown. Wrigley was wrapped in canvas as they finish the remodeling, most of the bars were closed, and it was 15 degrees with wind. Yet, still exhilarating, and not just because of the wind chill! Image

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

oilpiers wrote:Never been a fan of Harper or Machado, but the Padres signed Manny so I have to reevaluate that. In honor of the spirit of this MLB thread, I thought I would post a pic I took 2 days ago. Rode the redline up from downtown. Wrigley was wrapped in canvas as they finish the remodeling, most of the bars were closed, and it was 15 degrees with wind. Yet, still exhilarating, and not just because of the wind chill! Image
I get a small glimpse of Wrigley every day on my commute downtown (brown line el) and it's always a highlight. Still hard to catch baseball fever while the temperature remains below freezing, but in a week or two things will pick and Wrigleyville will come alive.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Word to the wise: if you're a T-Mobile customer, they're giving away free MLB.TV subscriptions for the next week.

https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I am decidedly unexcited by the upcoming season. The Mariners are going to field a glorified triple A team. They did manage to raise ticket prices again right before they gutted the team. It will be another year of reliving past almost glories. & T Mobile has bought the naming rights for the stadium. They are going to have "exclusive" benefits if you have their crappy cell service. I don't plan on attending many games this year. In the past I've attended at least 1 game a homestand but they've priced me out. I just can't take another year of bad baseball.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Looks like baseball is finally back in Philly. Expecting good things this season. Love the new lineup and bullpen but not yet convinced about the back of the rotation and the manager.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Looks like baseball is finally back in Philly. Expecting good things this season. Love the new lineup and bullpen but not yet convinced about the back of the rotation and the manager.
Well at least you can be pretty sure that the manager won't bring in a reliever who hasn't warmed up.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've been way too busy to do my usual deep dive on my famous, patented usually wrong season predictions :D , but I'm not one to disappoint so here's the gist

AL East

New York
Boston
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Baltimore

AL Central

Cleveland
Minnesota
White sox
Detroit
Kansas City

AL West

Houston
Anaheim/LA
Oakland
Seattle
Texas

WC1- Boston
WC2- Tampa Bay

Pennant- New York

NL East

Washington
Philadelphia
Atlanta
New York
Miami

NL Central

Chicago
St. Louis
Milwaukee
Cincinatti
Pittsburgh

NL West

LA
Colorado
San Diego
Arizona
San Francisco

WC1- St. Louis
WC2- Philadelphia

Pennant- Washington

WS- NYY in 6 games

A couple of quick notes:

AL

Boston, Houston and maybe Tampa Bay are all capable of winning the AL pennant and all should win 95 games or more. Toughest division is clearly the East

NL

Chicago, St. Louis and LA are all capable of winning the pennant. Win totals in the NL are going to be down since the league is much improved. San diego could hang in a good long time and attempt to boost its pitching at the deadline, not probably but absolutely possible. They will score runs. 9 games at the most will separate the top from bottom in the NL Central. Chicago should win it with about 93 but St. Louis is likely to win over 90 as well. Atalanta is the biggest loser in the NL simply because they didn't seize the opportunity to improve. They still have plenty of assets to trade though so a midseason revitalization is possible but Washington and Philadelphia are likely too strong and the Mets aren't a playoff team but not pushovers either.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Imagine being the favorites to win the AL Central with this opening day lineup:

1. Leonys Martin (CF)
2. Jose Ramirez (3B)
3. Tyler Naquin (RF)
4. Carlos Santana (1B)
5. Hanley Ramirez (DH)
6. Jake Bauers (LF)
7. Roberto Perez (C)
8. Brad Miller (2B)
9. Eric Stamets (SS)

I get that Lindor is out, but the bottom half of that lineup is a crime scene

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Imagine being the favorites to win the AL Central with this opening day lineup:

1. Leonys Martin (CF)
2. Jose Ramirez (3B)
3. Tyler Naquin (RF)
4. Carlos Santana (1B)
5. Hanley Ramirez (DH)
6. Jake Bauers (LF)
7. Roberto Perez (C)
8. Brad Miller (2B)
9. Eric Stamets (SS)

Yeah, but the rotation is likely the best in the game and Lindor won't be hurt forever.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I guess that de Grom guy is pretty good.

Oh my gawd, the Red Sox haven't won a single game all season!!!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:I guess that de Grom guy is pretty good.

Oh my gawd, the Red Sox haven't won a single game all season!!!
& the Mariners lead the league by 2 games, haha. must be all that t mobile magic.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Imagine being the favorites to win the AL Central with this opening day lineup:

1. Leonys Martin (CF)
2. Jose Ramirez (3B)
3. Tyler Naquin (RF)
4. Carlos Santana (1B)
5. Hanley Ramirez (DH)
6. Jake Bauers (LF)
7. Roberto Perez (C)
8. Brad Miller (2B)
9. Eric Stamets (SS)

Yeah, but the rotation is likely the best in the game and Lindor won't be hurt forever.
Ask the 2018 Cubs how hoping to win every game 2-1 worked out

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Ask the 2018 Cubs how hoping to win every game 2-1 worked out
You cannot compare the 2018 Cubs pitching staff to Cleveland's in 2019. I'm not arguing that the Indians are a great team but the division is shit and the Twins look like a .500 team to me and their best starter would compete for #5 on the Indian . The Indians might win the division with 83 or 84 wins, but that's still a win as much as I might find it distasteful. They play three teams in the Tigers, White Sox and Kansas City none of whom look like they could win 65 games.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shades of 2018. I went to bed w/ the Sox down 3-1 to Seattle and woke up to learn that the Sox won 7-6 on Mitch Moreland's 3 run dinger in the top of the 9th. :)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You never know when you're gonna see something you've never seen before.

There I was debating whether to go to bed or stay up for the end of the Sox-Mariners game. Remembering the big 9th inning comeback the night before, I thought I'd see it through. Sure enough, the Sox start to rally. The rally was substantially aided when Dylan Moore, Seattle 3rd baseman, made errors on three consecutive plays. Never seen that before. Sox came up a little short which is fair enough since it was the errors that gave them the chance. 3 errors on 3 plays!

whatwouldcooleydo?