MLB 2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: MLB 2019

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:It appears the rumors of Sale's demise are greatly exaggerated. At the end of April his ERA was 6.30, his WHIP was 1.40 and batters were hitting him at a .271 clip. As of today his splits are 3.49/0.97/.202. His K/9 since May is 14.6. A couple starts ago he became the first pitcher to throw 2 immaculate innings (9 pitches, three strikeouts) in the same season since Hall of Famer Lefty Grove did it in 1928. His fastball has been regularly clocked in the upper 90s. If he was broken, I'd say he is fixed now.
No question. I don't have any better explanation than anyone else for his early season troubles. As I think I said above, his 17 K game was one of the most impressive pitching performances I've ever seen (on TV, I wasn't there). He has clearly retaken his place in the top rank of pitchers. It will be interesting to see if he makes the All Star team with a losing record.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

What in the world has happened to Bryce Harper? I'm not sure I've ever been so disappointed that the Cubs didn't make a serious effort to sign him and now, despite my team's inconsistencies, I'm quite glad they didn't. Now, he's too good a player not to rebound at some point in the coming years but man this has been rough for the Phillies so far.

Never underestimate production from the bottom of the batting order. I've always figured that if you could get a consistent 1-5, as the Cubs have for the most part, all you needed was one guy getting hot 6-9 but if no one gets hot there it's really tough to score. Hoping the Cubs move on from Daniel Descalso and the ghost of Carlos Gonzales before long.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Never underestimate production from the bottom of the batting order. I've always figured that if you could get a consistent 1-5, as the Cubs have for the most part, all you needed was one guy getting hot 6-9 but if no one gets hot there it's really tough to score. Hoping the Cubs move on from Daniel Descalso and the ghost of Carlos Gonzales before long.
Very true. At least in the 21st century, the years the Sox have done well (championship or not), they've almost always had a "secret weapon" type player at the back end. E.g. Bill Mueller won a batting title hitting mostly 7th. When Jackie Bradley is hitting well, it makes a HUGE difference to the current team as in last year's playoffs. Just last night Vazquez hit a walk off 2 run HR from the 9 spot.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Earlier this week Tatis Jr. tagged up on an infield popup from third and scored. Last night he scored from second on an infield groundout. Today he scored from first on a simple line drive single to center, played perfectly by the centerfielder. I can't remember ever seeing any of those before, though possibly I have. And this 20 year old kid did it all in a week.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs has passed away at 27 years old. Such terrible news.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:Earlier this week Tatis Jr. tagged up on an infield popup from third and scored. Last night he scored from second on an infield groundout. Today he scored from first on a simple line drive single to center, played perfectly by the centerfielder. I can't remember ever seeing any of those before, though possibly I have. And this 20 year old kid did it all in a week.
Yeah, if you watch as much baseball as I assume you do I'd guess that you've probably seen all those things once, at least 2 out of the 3. But for sure, by one guy in one week? "Unheard of" is an understatement.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs has passed away at 27 years old. Such terrible news.
Wow. That's horrible. Any details? Damn, 27 :cry:

I didn't get to see either of the games in England this wkend but the whole thing sounded weird. Anybody know anything in particular about the "feel" of things? The scores are bad enough (from my perspective obviously) but i'm curious as to what the reactions were, what the quality of play was (i know the pitching was no damn good lol), etc.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

beantownbubba wrote:
oilpiers wrote:Earlier this week Tatis Jr. tagged up on an infield popup from third and scored. Last night he scored from second on an infield groundout. Today he scored from first on a simple line drive single to center, played perfectly by the centerfielder. I can't remember ever seeing any of those before, though possibly I have. And this 20 year old kid did it all in a week.
Yeah, if you watch as much baseball as I assume you do I'd guess that you've probably seen all those things once, at least 2 out of the 3. But for sure, by one guy in one week? "Unheard of" is an understatement.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs has passed away at 27 years old. Such terrible news.
Wow. That's horrible. Any details? Damn, 27 :cry:

I didn't get to see either of the games in England this wkend but the whole thing sounded weird. Anybody know anything in particular about the "feel" of things? The scores are bad enough (from my perspective obviously) but i'm curious as to what the reactions were, what the quality of play was (i know the pitching was no damn good lol), etc.
Worked with Tylers Aunt. She is an administrator for the County Mental Health I worked 26 years at. She was like a second mother to him. Very sad.

I watched all of the London games. It was very difficult. Field was ridiculous for several reasons. Pitching non existent. 2 games pushing 5 hours each. I finally decided, after years of praising, Jessica Mendoza needs to shut up more.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Just awful

The Angels sure have had more than their share of players dying mid-career/midseason: Skaggs, Nick Adenhart, Lyman Bostock, Mike Miley, Chico Ruiz
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Just awful

The Angels sure have had more than their share of players dying mid-career/midseason: Skaggs, Nick Adenhart, Lyman Bostock, Mike Miley, Chico Ruiz
Wasn't bostock on the twins? That's my always suspect memory anyway.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:I watched all of the London games. It was very difficult. Field was ridiculous for several reasons. Pitching non existent. 2 games pushing 5 hours each. I finally decided, after years of praising, Jessica Mendoza needs to shut up more.
Thanks for the deets. Even by Sox-Yanks standards, 5 hours is absurd.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

beantownbubba wrote:
Just awful

Bostock was a major free agent signing by the Angels. He was admittedly performing sub par and voiced donating back much of his salary before he was murdered.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
Just awful

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cubs are 8-15 in their last 23 and look to be in a death spiral
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Cubs are 8-15 in their last 23 and look to be in a death spiral
Yeah, it's terrible. No easy answers either. They could sell but the only players with value would be Hamels, Strop and Quintana. Basically they have to turn it around from within or not.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Yeah, it's terrible. No easy answers either. They could sell but the only players with value would be Hamels, Strop and Quintana. Basically they have to turn it around from within or not.
How are those the only players with value?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Just got home from my first (& probably only) Mariners game of the year. Lost to St Louis. Ms continue to try & trade on stadium & supposed past glories. My former $12 ticket in the bleachers was $38. They have variable pricing. Today they were giving away tshirts but limited amount. They crank on the prices though for everyone. & the game wasn't that crowded, I still didn't get one. No big deal except for inflated price. Also, the brainwashing for the military at sporting events is totally out of control. The Trump influence but more like the corporate overlords. We are a war mongering country now. Historically a sign of a dying empire. It makes me sad. We had such great potential as a country & have squandered it at least for now. All in the name of the almighty dollar for the rich. My days are most likely numbered but as a kid there were such promising things going on that are mostly gone now. Sorry, in a mood after spending the day getting beat over the head. At least they didn't put tanks on the baseball diamond.

PS: game in Seattle has become a very minor league experience at very very major league prices.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
How are those the only players with value?
Who else would have value? Clearly you’re not trading Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras or Baez in a deadline sale. Even if you were to move guys like that it would be in carefully considered offseason moves. This is not a team that can ever rebuild again so fire sales are out of the question. They likely need to retool this offseason but it has to be carefully planned.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

And, Sale is broken again. :lol:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

You Cub fans are amazing. Last time I checked they were tied for the division lead,
and it seems you want to tank this season. Count your blessings.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:You Cub fans are amazing. Last time I checked they were tied for the division lead,
Don't want to tank it. Just being realistic.

And they're in first place because the entire division is aggressively mediocre

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:And, Sale is broken again. :lol:
Panic grips Hub.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
LBRod wrote:You Cub fans are amazing. Last time I checked they were tied for the division lead,
Don't want to tank it. Just being realistic.

And they're in first place because the entire division is aggressively mediocre
See, e.g., the '73 Mets. To quote the late great Tug McGraw "you gotta believe."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:Just got home from my first (& probably only) Mariners game of the year. Lost to St Louis. Ms continue to try & trade on stadium & supposed past glories. My former $12 ticket in the bleachers was $38. They have variable pricing. Today they were giving away tshirts but limited amount. They crank on the prices though for everyone. & the game wasn't that crowded, I still didn't get one. No big deal except for inflated price. Also, the brainwashing for the military at sporting events is totally out of control. The Trump influence but more like the corporate overlords. We are a war mongering country now. Historically a sign of a dying empire. It makes me sad. We had such great potential as a country & have squandered it at least for now. All in the name of the almighty dollar for the rich. My days are most likely numbered but as a kid there were such promising things going on that are mostly gone now. Sorry, in a mood after spending the day getting beat over the head. At least they didn't put tanks on the baseball diamond.

PS: game in Seattle has become a very minor league experience at very very major league prices.
Sorry you had such a lousy experience. And agree 100% on the militarization of sports.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

beantownbubba wrote:
chuckrh wrote:Just got home from my first (& probably only) Mariners game of the year. Lost to St Louis. Ms continue to try & trade on stadium & supposed past glories. My former $12 ticket in the bleachers was $38. They have variable pricing. Today they were giving away tshirts but limited amount. They crank on the prices though for everyone. & the game wasn't that crowded, I still didn't get one. No big deal except for inflated price. Also, the brainwashing for the military at sporting events is totally out of control. The Trump influence but more like the corporate overlords. We are a war mongering country now. Historically a sign of a dying empire. It makes me sad. We had such great potential as a country & have squandered it at least for now. All in the name of the almighty dollar for the rich. My days are most likely numbered but as a kid there were such promising things going on that are mostly gone now. Sorry, in a mood after spending the day getting beat over the head. At least they didn't put tanks on the baseball diamond.

Sorry you had such a lousy experience. And agree 100% on the militarization of sports.
Sad to say, my favorite team, Padres, have always been the leaders in the militarization of sports. First team with Camo uniforms. Even when I was a kid, late 60's early 70's in SD, they had the right field upper deck full of navy and marine recruits every Sunday. Now they shove microphones in players faces and make them praise the military. I prefer sports as a diversion from Trumplandia. He didn't create the militarization of society, but he certainly is spreading that crap around as far as he can.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Militarization of sports pre-dates Trump. The NFL is the worst (because the military is a corporate sponsor of the league and pushes them to all the jingoistic nonsense they do now)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sad to learn today of Carlos Carrasco's fight against Leukemia. Some things are just way more important than sports.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Sad to learn today of Carlos Carrasco's fight against Leukemia. Some things are just way more important than sports.
so sadly true

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Zip City wrote:Militarization of sports pre-dates Trump. The NFL is the worst (because the military is a corporate sponsor of the league and pushes them to all the jingoistic nonsense they do now)
I believe I said exactly that it predates Trump. the NFL did not get on board until way after the Padres started the Camo unis on Sunday. As I said, SD had military marketing going back to their inception in 1969. The NFL made a military deal in 2009. 40 years later.https://thinkprogress.org/nfl-dod-natio ... 82cebc7cd/
Last edited by oilpiers on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

P.S. As of today, the leadoff hitter in MLB with the highest on base percentage, at .415, and the highest OPS, at 1.030, is Tatis. Who is not on the all star team, simply due to an injury, and a clear SD prejudice by MLB.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:P.S. As of today, the leadoff hitter in MLB with the highest on base percentage, at .415, and the highest OPS, at 1.030, is Tatis. Who is not on the all star team, simply due to an injury, and a clear SD prejudice by MLB.
It's ok. 1.030 will attract a lot of attention from the right people. And a lot of money from people who have it.