MLB 2010

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

MLB 2010

Post by Clams »

Tonight. Phillies-Giants. Bring it on.

If you don't run you rust

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: MLB 2010

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:Tonight. Phillies-Giants. Bring it on.

Consider it brought! I've got my fingers crossed that my neighbor with season tickets is gonna ask me to go to Wednesday's game, Lincecum vs. Hamels
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

good lord, the lineup we are fielding tonight against the Phillies juggernaut is even more anemic at the plate than what we normally trot out. Woe is the Giants

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sanchez, his stuff can be so "dirty"

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Took my 8yr old to her 1st A's game yesterday, sacouple rows behind the home dugout, beautiful day at the yard, and my boys threw down 11 runs on the Tribe...Hell of a first game for the girl.
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

whatwouldcooleydo?

PeterG wrote:Took my 8yr old to her 1st A's game yesterday, sacouple rows behind the home dugout, beautiful day at the yard, and my boys threw down 11 runs on the Tribe...Hell of a first game for the girl.

awesome, looked like the A's came to hit this weekend

my first MLB game was Atlanta-Fulton Co. Stadium, August 1978, the night the Braves stopped Rose's hitting streak at 44 games

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
PeterG wrote:Took my 8yr old to her 1st A's game yesterday, sacouple rows behind the home dugout, beautiful day at the yard, and my boys threw down 11 runs on the Tribe...Hell of a first game for the girl.

my first MLB game was Atlanta-Fulton Co. Stadium, August 1978, the night the Braves stopped Rose's hitting streak at 44 games

Nice! Charlie Hustle and those Red's of the 70's were a thorn in my side back then...
Never liked him, but he sure could play the game.
So lame tht he's not in the hall...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

whatwouldcooleydo?

PeterG wrote:

Nice! Charlie Hustle and those Red's of the 70's were a thorn in my side back then...

I would be hard pressed to find an athlete I like less than Rose. The rest of the Machine I could hang with, though I was never, ever a fan of them

Giants win, which is good considering that Wellemeyer is going tomorrow night

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PeterG wrote:

Let's get Shoeless Joe in first then we can talk about that slimeball rose.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

No one told me that Halladay loses games sometimes. WTF?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:Ryan Howard's contract is almost as bad as Soriano's. Good gravy :shock:

If the Phils can keep their core (Howard, Utley, J Roll, Victorino, Halladay, etc) together and contend they way the have for another 3 or 4 seasons, then I'm okay with it. As far as Soriano vs Howard goes, Soriano's primary weapon, his speed, is the thing that's gone downhill on him. Howard's less likely to lose his power stroke over the next 5 or 6 seasons. Plus, he's actually developed into a very good fielder the last two years, and that's not going to change either. And Howard is surrounded by a lot more talent in the starting 8 than Soriano is. All in all, given where the Phillies are, I'll take this deal. After so many years as an also ran, it's just nice to be the team that's signing great players to big contracts. For years, we always just watched other teams do that.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:Ryan Howard's contract is almost as bad as Soriano's. Good gravy :shock:

If the Phils can keep their core (Howard, Utley, J Roll, Victorino, Halladay, etc) together and contend they way the have for another 3 or 4 seasons, then I'm okay with it. As far as Soriano vs Howard goes, Soriano's primary weapon, his speed, is the thing that's gone downhill on him. Howard's less likely to lose his power stroke over the next 5 or 6 seasons. Plus, he's actually developed into a very good fielder the last two years, and that's not going to change either. And Howard is surrounded by a lot more talent in the starting 8 than Soriano is. All in all, given where the Phillies are, I'll take this deal. After so many years as an also ran, it's just nice to be the team that's signing great players to big contracts. For years, we always just watched other teams do that.

it's a pretty big chunk of change for a guy who is already 30 and can't hit lefties.

True. But like I said, I'll take it (along with the chance to win another couple of pennants in the next couple of years).

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

I told you you are supposed to be a Braves fan! :lol:
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Clams

Post by Clams »

This is a great post. Sounds like a day you'll always remember.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:

If the Phils can keep their core (Howard, Utley, J Roll, Victorino, Halladay, etc) together and contend they way the have for another 3 or 4 seasons, then I'm okay with it.

I dont know whether it's a good contract or a bad one, but i do have 2 words for ya, Clams: David Ortiz.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
exactly. Howard is fat, slow, and can't hit lefties. He can hit for power, but that can go away in a flash. You want to be paying this guy $25 mil when he's 35?

Believe me, as a Cubs fan I know A LOT about terrible baseball contracts

He may be big but he's not fat (take a look at the pic atop this thread). He's actually in really good shape and he can run for his size.

beantownbubba wrote:I dont know whether it's a good contract or a bad one, but i do have 2 words for ya, Clams: David Ortiz.

Leaving alone the fact that ROIDS probably sped up Ortiz's decline, he led the Sox to two World Series. That's not worth sucking up the last couple of years of his contract?

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

I'm out of this thread until further notice (or until the Braves break the losing streak). :cry:
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:
exactly. Howard is fat, slow, and can't hit lefties. He can hit for power, but that can go away in a flash. You want to be paying this guy $25 mil when he's 35?

Believe me, as a Cubs fan I know A LOT about terrible baseball contracts

He may be big but he's not fat (take a look at the pic atop this thread). He's actually in really good shape and he can run for his size.

beantownbubba wrote:I dont know whether it's a good contract or a bad one, but i do have 2 words for ya, Clams: David Ortiz.

Leaving alone the fact that ROIDS probably sped up Ortiz's decline, he led the Sox to two World Series. That's not worth sucking up the last couple of years of his contract?

Ortiz did roids? :shock: Like i said, i'm not commenting on whether the contract's a good one, only on the likelihood of Howard declining or not. Jim Rice, who most definitely didn't do PED's is another case in point: Some of these power hitters just lose it, virtually overnite. I'm not even predicting that Howard will be one of them, just saying that it's far from a lock that Howard will still be hitting those tape measure shots in bunches in 5 yrs.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Gator McKlusky wrote:

I told you you are supposed to be a Braves fan! :lol:

I was that night, though they got absolutely hammered. I never liked Rose- of course he played the right way and all, but he was such a tool. And that haircut! God bless Gene Garber

And if I remember correctly, Horner had only been up for a few months at that point. I recall him robbing Rose of a hit with a great play at 3rd

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

I think Howard's contract is horrible (especially since they had him until 2011 - why do a deal early if you can't get a discount).

But as a Cubs fan I can certainly say, it isn't any worse than Soriano's.. or paying a middle reliever $18M per year.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

whatwouldcooleydo?

2 for 2 so far against the mighty Phillies, great to see the oh-so struggling Wellemeyer finally pitch well and get a win. Huge game tomorrow, Lincecum vs. Hamels. A sweep would be just what the doctor ordered

Clams

Post by Clams »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:2 for 2 so far against the mighty Phillies, great to see the oh-so struggling Wellemeyer finally pitch well and get a win. Huge game tomorrow, Lincecum vs. Hamels. A sweep would be just what the doctor ordered

Say it ain't so! :(

Clams

Post by Clams »

Looks like we pulled that last one out, WWCD! Looks like a doozy of a game, too bad I missed it.

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

I think the Cleveland Indians could beat the Braves right now...from the movie major league. They are playing absolutely awful.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jon Lester is in the house!! FINALLY!!!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:Looks like we pulled that last one out, WWCD! Looks like a doozy of a game, too bad I missed it.

our suspect bullpen squandered another Lincecum gem. Hard to sweep a really good team like the Phillies, but we had it in our grasp and couldn't seal the deal. Gut punch

whatwouldcooleydo?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5146663

The Indians? Really? Would not have guessed that. Anyone know just how it is that the team alienates its fans?

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5146663

The Indians? Really? Would not have guessed that. Anyone know just how it is that the team alienates its fans?

Being located in Cleveland?
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

scotto

Post by scotto »

I'd like to know a bit more about this "formula" Nielsen used to determine their rankings.

whatwouldcooleydo?

scotto wrote:I'd like to know a bit more about this "formula" Nielsen used to determine their rankings.

Indeed. I know that a lot of people hate them using Indian as a their mascot, but I still wouldn't have thought them to be the most hated