MLB 2010

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: MLB 2010

Post by Clams »

BostonREB wrote:I'm a die-hard Yankees fan (and living in Boston it's rough), but there is no way I see the Phils not winning the Series this year. Their pitching is just too damn good. That's ok. Having spent a big ass chunk of my life in South Jersey and Philly, I can't really root against the Phils anyway (well unless they play the Yanks in the WS :lol: ).

That's exactly the problem... expectations are so high. You still have to play the games and win. Having the best rotation doesn't guarantee shit.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Play Ball!! Always different w/out a real rooting interest, but hell yeah, i'm ready to get this thing going already.

Classic Boston Globe article this morning - looooong article about all the players w/ boston connection playing for the various play off teams. The Boston version of "yeah but is it good for the Jews?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Philly's clearly best on paper, but as they say, that's why they play the games. So like i said, let's Play Ball!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

For me, baseball ended around the All Star Break, and was dead and buried once football started
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:For me, baseball ended around the All Star Break, and was dead and buried once football started

PTCS

Post Traumatic Cubs Syndrome.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:For me, baseball ended around the All Star Break, and was dead and buried once football started

PTCS

Post Traumatic Cubs Syndrome.

I suffer from that too, but most years it's mitigated by the fact that I'm also a Red Sox & White Sox fan. Look where that got me. I'd like to your Phillies win it though. Nothing like watching dominating pitching.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Halladay is unreal. Best pitching I've ever seen.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Goddam, fuckin' A. Way to go, Roy.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's squirmy enuf watching a 1-0 playoff game when you DONT have a rooting interest; it's totally excruciating if u do. My congrats and condolences to fans of the respective teams tonite.

This was my first extended look at Lincecum and he was of course very impressive and very much as advertised. The only thing that surprised me was how much time he spends high in the strike zone even tho he "only" throws in the low 90s. I guess it tells u just how good his control is and just how off balance he keeps hitters. Really fun to watch.

I was also really impressed by Venters, who I've only barely heard of.

Nice to see D Lowe do well of course; we remember him very fondly in these parts. Tough one to be on the short side of.

And c'mon Twinkies! You gotta do better. The grand old men (Pettite and Rivera) were excellent tonite. Fuckin' Rivera. Absolutely unreal. How can anyone else even be in the conversation for greatest closer ever? How he does it w/ exactly one pitch is one of life's great mysteries and frustrations.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
Also, Brooks Conrad has made an error 5 games in a row. The Braves cannot win with this infield. It's a shame.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

beantownbubba wrote:If there are in fact baseball gods, then the Reds will lose in the first round of the playoffs, nay they'll be swept, each defeat by at least a half dozen runs.

Someone, no, make that FIVE someones, actually called the OH health dept to complain that smoking victory cigars in the locker room after clinching the division violated state anti smoking regs. WTF??? And they say I dont have a life.

Easy there, hoss, it's hard to tell who made those phone calls. Could be some ultra up-tight person who doesn't even like baseball. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pissed off Cardinal fans.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Roy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:If there are in fact baseball gods, then the Reds will lose in the first round of the playoffs, nay they'll be swept, each defeat by at least a half dozen runs.

I agree. Hate the fuckin Reds. I'm going to enjoy watching them get their asses kicked. Johnny Cueto is a cunt and fuck Brandon Phillips.

Cards fan? I guess maybe Brandon Phillips was right...
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sg207 wrote:

Someone, no, make that FIVE someones, actually called the OH health dept to complain that smoking victory cigars in the locker room after clinching the division violated state anti smoking regs. WTF??? And they say I dont have a life.

Easy there, hoss, it's hard to tell who made those phone calls. Could be some ultra up-tight person who doesn't even like baseball. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pissed off Cardinal fans.

I hesitate to take this too seriously (who me?) but by the same token, who's likely to be watching a post game victory celebration? Casual fans? Non-fans? Fans of the other team? Or fairly serious fans of the team? But really, my point was about the 5 someones, whoever they are, not the team. I mean, c'mon, who would do that? I'd find that surprising even in the People's Republic of Cambridge.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Yep, again

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great win by the Braves tonight, that series can go either way. You can stick a fork in the Reds, Twins and Rays.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Is this another dead ball era, or are we in some Golden Age of Pitching?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:Is this another dead ball era, or are we in some Golden Age of Pitching?

It's certainly the post steroids era.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Is this another dead ball era, or are we in some Golden Age of Pitching?

It's certainly the post steroids era.

It's almost baseball again. Loving it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

beantownbubba wrote:
It's certainly the post steroids era

Yeah, but even the Rocket & Pettite & who knows which other pitchers were juiced up too. My brother called me the other night to make sure I was catching Halladay's no-no. He told me Roy was slinging aspirins @ the plate. He was right about that.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:beantownbubba wrote:

Yeah, but even the Rocket & Pettite & who knows which other pitchers were juiced up too. My brother called me the other night to make sure I was catching Halladay's no-no. He told me Roy was slinging aspirins @ the plate. He was right about that.

My tentative conclusion is that steroids helped hitters more than pitchers, which makes sense since the steroid era was obviously a hitter's era - assuming pitchers were juicing too, it didn't seem to have as much effect. Clearly Clemens is the exception. I don't claim to have the science to back this up but it seems to be the most logical conclusion to be drawn from comparing before and after. The only thing that's really changed in pitchers' direction is the improved medical care and better recoveries from serious surgery like the Tommy John procedure, which is not enough to explain this significant "year of the pitcher" reversal of form.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

"I hit it that way"

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:beantownbubba wrote:

My tentative conclusion is that steroids helped hitters more than pitchers, which makes sense since the steroid era was obviously a hitter's era - assuming pitchers were juicing too, it didn't seem to have as much effect. Clearly Clemens is the exception. I don't claim to have the science to back this up but it seems to be the most logical conclusion to be drawn from comparing before and after. The only thing that's really changed in pitchers' direction is the improved medical care and better recoveries from serious surgery like the Tommy John procedure, which is not enough to explain this significant "year of the pitcher" reversal of form.

I couldn't be happier that pitching and small ball are back. BTW one other pitcher who comes to mind as an obvious juicer whose stats were boosted off the charts would be Eric Gagne.

But enough about all that! Last night the Yanks disposed of the Twinkies (yet again) and we've got three big games on tap today. Go Phils!

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

ladies and gentleman:Eric Hinske

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

dear braves fans...
start kissing hinskes ass!!!
caz he prob jus saved yall post season caz the rest the guys cant hit anything! :lol: :lol:

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

but then they blow it...
this a great game! :D
back and forth!

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Brooks Conrad cannot play defense

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Dear 6lb 8 oz baby Jesus,

I don't ever want to with bad upon anyone but please do something to keep Brooks Conrad far, far, far away from Turner Field.

Thanks!
A frustrated Braves fan who thinks 9 errors so far postseason is entirely too many
Last edited by never going back on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LuthierJustin wrote:Brooks Conrad cannot play defense

there's a reason he was in the minors for 47 years
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

LuthierJustin