HOLY SH*T! moments

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

HOLY SH*T! moments

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

A friend was over today and he brought up Chet Atkins, which reminded me of a story about an old friend from college, who'd gone from zero to sixty as a musician between tenth grade and getting his degree, and the time he stopped Chet Atkins during a performance so they could start it over. (Chet had missed a cue in the opening, a back and forth between him and my friend playing percussion.)

"What ever happened to him?" I thought, "I'd like to get him to tell the story again. I'm not sure I have it exactly right," and Googled him. I'd done so before a time or two and come up dry. This time, I found the obituary. He'd died a decade ago at fifty-two, predeceased by his wife, forty-six, and leaving behind a kid, after having worked as a musician and in music for some time.

There weren't contributed memories on the obituary page, which seemed odd, and which left me melancholy and unsatisfied. I wanted some sense of what his friends were like and what they had to say about him. So I did a little more searching, having finally gotten the variation on his first and last name right. (His first name has multiple variant spellings; his last name has multiple variants.)

This time I found the news story: Man Found Dead of Gunshot Identified. "Geez!" I thought. "I wonder what happened." I read on to find he'd killed himself after killing his wife. He shot her dead, wrote a detailed note, called the cops, went to the railroad track, and shot himself. Money issues, one of the musicians quoted said he'd heard. (Not musicians any of you would recognize; other than my friend, I wouldn't have expected to.)

The detailed note and the call to the cops make sense. The rest of it I am utterly unable to understand. Holy shit! What happened? He was a really good guy when I knew him. What the fuck?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Re: HOLY SH*T! moments

Post by beantownbubba »

What the fuck indeed.

And a reminder that there are a lot of human stories behind headlines we routinely read and dismiss or ignore or make cynical jokes about.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Re: HOLY SH*T! moments

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So I couldn't leave this alone and started searching harder for some sign of his existence beyond his death, and you know what I found? His name right next to Joe Cripps in a UNT program book. They were in a percussion ensemble together.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be