Fake Cancer

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Fake Cancer

Post by beantownbubba »

It's hard to verbalize how angry this makes me, in part because it also makes me so sad it's a struggle to rise to the bait. Even if one assumes "the best motives," whatever those might be (and I have no clue as to what they might be), this is one fucked up family w/ some seriously fucked up parents and that's sad. It's not even that what they did takes attention or money or opportunities away from actually sick kids, because for the most part it doesn't (I can explain that in more detail if anyone wants). Of course it does add to the general societal cynicism and belief that truth is an ever more rare commodity and only for suckers, which is unfortunate but not really limited to the sick kid genre.

Best as I can tell after a few minutes of thinking about it, I think what really gets me is that it sends a message (or is evidence of a message that's already been sent and apparently internalized by some) that cancer is a walk in the park and a good way to get some really cool perks. Which is fucking sick. And which reminds me of the assholes in Houston who chanted "I'll take the chemo" when the make a wish cancer kids were admitted to the Super Bowl before them (I believe that story is back in the 3dd archives somewhere although actually it would have been 9B, so it's gone but it was one of the more stunning few minutes of my life).

I could ramble and mutter on at great length but I assume most of what I'd say is obvious, and like I say I'm so saddened and overwhelmed by this that I can't really fully vent my anger. So let's just say this is really bad. Really, really bad. And it hurts like a motherfucker.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tball-team
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Re: Fake Cancer

Post by Zip City »

Completely gross story. Ugh.

There's something irksome about GoFundMe in general. I know that's a cynical outlook, but I feel like it has created a culture of "guilting your social media friends into paying for your life" that is off-putting, which is a shame because the people who really need it are starting to be lost in the shuffle
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

roland

Post by roland »

First off- Fuck cancer. It took two of NC State's best coaches, family friends, and my Mom. My youngest nephew was just found to have a neuroblastoma near his heart. The Dr. actually recommended a gofundme page. They are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars of treatment ahead, even with insurance. I usually feel the same about these "Daddy bought me the wrong color Porsche and I want a BLACK one" fundraisers, but it really is a good idea for people who truly need it.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I was gonna post after hearing this story yesterday morning but couldn’t even figure out where to begin. This is a whole other level of “totally fucked up.”

Some humans ain’t human
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

In 2018 America you are either a grifter or a mark

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:In 2018 America you are either a grifter or a mark
PT Barnum is the true father of the country

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't forget the sheepdogs.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Do you mean sheeple?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:
Do you mean sheeple?
Or this???

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

chuckrh wrote:
PT Barnum is the true father of the country
Yassss!!!! It all makes sense now. Thanks.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:Don't forget the sheepdogs.
Do you mean sheeple?
Or this???

This is a very pretty thought. In my world? The sheepdog keeps the sheep safe from unauthorized violence and preserves them for properly permitted shearing and slaughter. The owner is very grateful and gives the sheepdog a good life. The sheepdog sleeps well on a full stomach. Isn't this the cartoon on the cover of the Gang of Four's Entertainment?

I don't like the "either a grifter or a mark" thing, either, for what it's worth, even though it's one of those pretty thoughts that's cute because it's so ugly, a paradox which appeals to me for some reason. I'm having a hard time explaining just why--it's got one layer of truth in it which has to be coped with first, and I'm just not up to heavy lifting any more--so I'll just note it and keep trucking.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?