I'm gettin one of these when I pay off my car...

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LuthierJustin

I'm gettin one of these when I pay off my car...

Post by LuthierJustin »

Preferably an early to mid-80's model
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Jeremy

Re: I'm gettin one of these when I pay off my car...

Post by Jeremy »

Hope you either a) wont be driving it long distances because it will break down or b) know a shitload about VW's and can fix it yourself or c) got a shitload of money to pour into it. They are money pits and not very reliable. But they are pretty badass.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Jeremy wrote:Hope you either a) wont be driving it long distances because it will break down or b) know a shitload about VW's and can fix it yourself or c) got a shitload of money to pour into it. They are money pits and not very reliable. But they are pretty badass.

Yes, exactly this. They are among the coolest, most badass of vehicles, but the work and resources to maintain them is pretty astounding. Plus, for interstate travel, they can be a little sluggish. But, I do concur that they are cool as all get-out.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Jeremy wrote:Hope you either a) wont be driving it long distances because it will break down or b) know a shitload about VW's and can fix it yourself or c) got a shitload of money to pour into it. They are money pits and not very reliable. But they are pretty badass.

I have an uncle with a 1974 bus, when ever anything goes wrong on that he fixes it, I have another uncle that knows pretty much everything about VW's, I currently drive a VW Rabbit myself, I think it will be fun to get and fix it up a little, drive it to music festivals. I was looking at Eurovan's with the Winnebago conversion, they're STILL going for 60k, So I figured an early-mid 80's, even late 80's Vanagon Westfalia. people are doing really cool conversions where they put Subaru engines in them and making them fast. I don't think I'd do that, I'm a purist...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My aunt and uncle had a VW bus (named "Trixie") that they put over 300,000 miles on
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Older VW's are pretty reliable and the the newer ones are getting more reliable. Especially the Aircooled, which is why I'd prefer an early 80's Vanagon, They were still aircooled

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I'm getting an Earthromer when I can afford one. Which will be, never.

Beebs is not a ragey man

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

I remember seeing hippies in hotel parking lots of Dead tour just dropping one engine in those things and putting in another. Like it was nothing.

My kids want to sell our house, buy a RV and move to Texas. :?:
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

i'm finally getting a car again (after not having one for 7 years) and my dad wants me to get this one (because it's made in Lordstown, OH) i kinda want to get a Toyota but..i know ZERO about cars, is this okay? (Chevy Cruze)...it's ugly.

In my blood, there's gasoline..

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

a Toyota isn't a car really, its an appliance, meaning no style, drives ok but kinda boring.
You should look at a VW Golf TDI if you can afford it, 24k, 40-50 MPG, looks cool, very utilitarian, It will hold its value especially the TDI.
http://www.vw.com/vwfeatures/golf/en/us/

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

At the risk of offending the "Made in America" crowd, I say go with the Toyota, My wife was always a Camery owner, but a few years ago she went with a less expensive Matrix. Probably the best car we have ever owned. I would like to get a Tundra down the line, but for now Chev. is just less expensive.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

GW in IA wrote:a less expensive Matrix.

I think I saw a 4 wheel drive version of these recently. Very cool.
Beebs is not a ragey man

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

GW in IA wrote:At the risk of offending the "Made in America" crowd, I say go with the Toyota, My wife was always a Camery owner, but a few years ago she went with a less expensive Matrix. Probably the best car we have ever owned. I would like to get a Tundra down the line, but for now Chev. is just less expensive.

Most Toyota's are that are sold in America are made in America
this might be out of date
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Back on topic though... If you've really got it in you to maintain one of those vans, More power to you. Really cool looking. I'm just not mechanical enough to ever trust one going to a show. Sometimes it is the destination, not the journey that matters, ya know?
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

LuthierJustin wrote:

I have an uncle with a 1974 bus, when ever anything goes wrong on that he fixes it, I have another uncle that knows pretty much everything about VW's, I currently drive a VW Rabbit myself, I think it will be fun to get and fix it up a little, drive it to music festivals. I was looking at Eurovan's with the Winnebago conversion, they're STILL going for 60k, So I figured an early-mid 80's, even late 80's Vanagon Westfalia. people are doing really cool conversions where they put Subaru engines in them and making them fast. I don't think I'd do that, I'm a purist...

Fixin cars is a lot of fun, if you have the know how and the help. Good luck.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Beebs wrote:I'm getting an Earthromer when I can afford one. Which will be, never.

Damn, now thats what I want.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

IDK Penny, that is pretty ugly.
I want one of those Toyota Venza's with the 3rd row of seating.
But, I'll end up getting a small SUV of some kind and trading in the paid off old suv very soon.

LJ, I have a friend who is a vw collector and car dealer who could help you get that van you want when the day comes.

http://www.vintagevwcars.com/
NSFW

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jeremy wrote:
Beebs wrote:I'm getting an Earthromer when I can afford one. Which will be, never.

Damn, now thats what I want.

Cool. What's that cost?
If you don't run you rust

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Clams wrote:
Cool. What's that cost?

http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_xpedition_vehicles/xvlt7_purchase.html

Oh not much. Around $225,000-$300,000.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

GW in IA wrote:At the risk of offending the "Made in America" crowd, I say go with the Toyota, My wife was always a Camery owner, but a few years ago she went with a less expensive Matrix. Probably the best car we have ever owned. I would like to get a Tundra down the line, but for now Chev. is just less expensive.

as far as i know, camrys and corollas last forever.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

The new Ford Fiesta is a million times cooler than a Camry or Carolla, about the same price as a carolla, gets better MPG too

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Pretty much, The Matrix is sort of a mini station-wagon/Corolla. Small, but really utilitarian.
Odd side note: My neighbors daughter and her girlfriend were here for a visit last week from OR. They drove their Matrix, and camped in it the whole way. Now its got alot of room, for a small car, and dosn't hurt that neither one of them prob. weigh more than 90, but still.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

me personally, I would never drive a toyota, in fact the only Asian car I would drive is a Subaru, But I think I'm going to stick with VAG cars. Japanese cars scream cheapness to me. they have no soul or passion put behind them. Like I said before, they're appliances.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LuthierJustin wrote:me personally, I would never drive a toyota, in fact the only Asian car I would drive is a Subaru, But I think I'm going to stick with VAG cars. Japanese cars scream cheapness to me. they have no soul or passion put behind them. Like I said before, they're appliances.

I wish I had appliances this cool looking:

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

LuthierJustin wrote:me personally, I would never drive a toyota, in fact the only Asian car I would drive is a Subaru, But I think I'm going to stick with VAG cars. Japanese cars scream cheapness to me. they have no soul or passion put behind them. Like I said before, they're appliances.

They can be a real pain sometimes but I'm a total VAG guy too.
Beebs is not a ragey man

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Beebs wrote:

Somebody else around here gets it :D
Do you drive a VW or something owned by VW?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:

I don't know shit about Volkswagons but I sure do love me some vag! :)
If you don't run you rust

never going back

Clams wrote:
I don't know shit about Volkswagons but I sure do love me some vag! :)

:o :lol:

My ex had a Passat that was the biggest piece of crap ever. I loved my Subaru though.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

my mrs. has a GTI. The thing drives great, but has been a total piece of crap. Lots and lots and lots of problems that aren't your basic maintenance, including one issue (a sunroof whose drain clogs and drains on the passenger floor) that became a class-action lawsuit. Lots of funny, fun electrical issues. A handful of recalls. A tranny needing rebuilt at 45,000 miles. ....the list could go on and on and on. It's a fun car to drive, but I'd never spend another red cent on a VW again.

My Subaru on the other hand...can't say enough good things about it.