Facebook and 3dd

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Facebook and 3dd

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Can you imagine what it would be like if there were something like Facebook, but which was designed to make you a better person, as defined by your own standards, configured into the application?
I don't even know what that means. Humans are vile and will always use technology to do the wrong thing. Every. Single. Time. I don't think you could create anything to counter that. The best we can do is hope that each of us, on an individual level, can rise above the fray.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:There was a guy who used to do that a lot here. Had a lot of stories about hitchhiking. Can't remember the screen name.
Chico Harris, my fellow Mississippian. I love Chico! That dude has lived some life. Hitchhiked around the world, ran a music magazine in Oxford, was a personal confidant and friend of Joe Strummer, has seen over 200 Springsteen shows and used to host a radio show with Matt Patton's wife. Dude is a character of the best sort.
I liked his stories, I just noticed there were never much for replies. Didn't phase him though, and that was cool.

Definitely more substance than the guy on Facebook.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Can you imagine what it would be like if there were something like Facebook, but which was designed to make you a better person, as defined by your own standards, configured into the application?
I don't even know what that means. Humans are vile and will always use technology to do the wrong thing. Every. Single. Time. I don't think you could create anything to counter that.
I am a little shocked you don't think of self-help books or therapy as technologies. I used to have the Seven Habits plugin installed in my Outlook Calendar. It helped make me a slightly better person in some ways, even though some of the guy's beliefs don't match up with mine at all. There are all sorts of well-known ways to help people make themselves better. It's just something this dreadful society we live in--as I like to say, "In America, politics takes interest in YOU!"--has exactly zero interest in spreading around and lots of incentives to keep to the already well-put-together.

The internet didn't "just happen". It came from design decisions. The same is true of Facebook. It was designed to engage people without regard to their well-being.

I'm saying design a different system which engages people with regard to their well-being. Most people want to be better. There's just no money in helping them.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:There was a guy who used to do that a lot here. Had a lot of stories about hitchhiking. Can't remember the screen name.
Chico Harris, my fellow Mississippian. I love Chico! That dude has lived some life. Hitchhiked around the world, ran a music magazine in Oxford, was a personal confidant and friend of Joe Strummer, has seen over 200 Springsteen shows and used to host a radio show with Matt Patton's wife. Dude is a character of the best sort.
I liked his stories, I just noticed there were never much for replies. Didn't phase him though, and that was cool.

Definitely more substance than the guy on Facebook.
I assume you mean Patchak on FB? He's notorious.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Yup. Never met the guy, might be cool as hell, but like the first 10-15 posts on the top of the FB feed this morning were him "yelling at himself" to quote Zip.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Yup. Never met the guy, might be cool as hell, but like the first 10-15 posts on the top of the FB feed this morning were him "yelling at himself" to quote Zip.
Oh no, he's not "cool as hell". He's an annoyance of highest level. There aren't a ton of people in the community he hasn't pissed off at one time or another, including the band.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Oh no, he's not "cool as hell". He's an annoyance of highest level. There aren't a ton of people in the community he hasn't pissed off at one time or another, including the band.
That's definitely the vibe I got, but didn't want to jump to an uninformed conclusion.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

He definitely comes across as a DBT stalker,
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

scotto

Post by scotto »

Zip City wrote:I use Facebook but have avoided twitter like the plague
Interestingly, I'm on Twitter a ton more than FB, but only to read the goings on of folks I follow. I've never "tweeted" and have no intention to. But I love following a few dozen journalists, artists, activists, writers, politicians, and OhNoSheTwitnt.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote:
Clams wrote: the Listening thread is without question the best thing about 3DD these days. (and thank god for Shakespeare holding it down for us lately, we'd be up shits creek without him).
heh, thanks for this. i do love that thread, got some great recs from it over the years. sad to see it ever go a few days between posts

im pretty active on one facebook music page and its a great source to keep in touch with folks both about the band and about other stuff, but i echo everyone here that the message board setup is a better home for this stuff. just so much easier to think of a band and search the board archives real quick, and convo on facebook groups tends to disappear too fast for my liking, so its easier to catch up on this format.

fwiw this board has had the least drama of any ive ever been a part of. there was LJ, obviously, but even that was pretty much contained to one thread.

i wish this place had a bit more going on but what can you do, as someone who spends too much time on the internet (both at home and at work) i cant fault anyone deciding to cut down a bit.

i'll stick around even if theres never a heyday like the period circa 2010 when i joined
I still miss LJ, and am sorry I ever goaded him into telling me to fuck-off. His lack of self-awareness was refreshing.
Now it's dark.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Flea wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:
Clams wrote: the Listening thread is without question the best thing about 3DD these days. (and thank god for Shakespeare holding it down for us lately, we'd be up shits creek without him).
heh, thanks for this. i do love that thread, got some great recs from it over the years. sad to see it ever go a few days between posts

im pretty active on one facebook music page and its a great source to keep in touch with folks both about the band and about other stuff, but i echo everyone here that the message board setup is a better home for this stuff. just so much easier to think of a band and search the board archives real quick, and convo on facebook groups tends to disappear too fast for my liking, so its easier to catch up on this format.

fwiw this board has had the least drama of any ive ever been a part of. there was LJ, obviously, but even that was pretty much contained to one thread.

i wish this place had a bit more going on but what can you do, as someone who spends too much time on the internet (both at home and at work) i cant fault anyone deciding to cut down a bit.

i'll stick around even if theres never a heyday like the period circa 2010 when i joined
I still miss LJ, and am sorry I ever goaded him into telling me to fuck-off. His lack of self-awareness was refreshing.
I'm not going to lie,Ikind of miss him too. As impossible as he made it for me to defend him and as rude as he often was, he made me laugh sometimes and I have to admit, the way he just did not care whether or not anybody here liked him and was perfectly willing to be all on his own was sort of refreshing too in a strange way.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
This exchange cracked me up. Especially, "Oh no, he's not,'cool as hell". Lol. I remember him from my days over at the Facebook group which is mostly saying that I remember his name. I do seem to remember him acting as if he was the band's personal middle man between them and the fans.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Cole Younger wrote:I'm not going to lie,Ikind of miss him too. As impossible as he made it for me to defend him and as rude as he often was, he made me laugh sometimes and I have to admit, the way he just did not care whether or not anybody here liked him and was perfectly willing to be all on his own was sort of refreshing too in a strange way.
I'll always think of Buckethead when I think of LJ and vice versa.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
I'm not going to lie,Ikind of miss him too. As impossible as he made it for me to defend him and as rude as he often was, he made me laugh sometimes and I have to admit, the way he just did not care whether or not anybody here liked him and was perfectly willing to be all on his own was sort of refreshing too in a strange way.
Disagree. He managed to make every thread about him and his insane world views. Seriously, so back and read some of those threads. That kid was the world's biggest asshole in every way

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Disagree. He managed to make every thread about him and his insane world views. Seriously, so back and read some of those threads. That kid was the world's biggest asshole in every way
I don't disagree that he was an asshole but surely there are bigger ones in this world than our little old LJ. Lol.

What can I say? I have a strong contrarian streak and I always get a weird kick out of people who drive everyone crazy. Lol. He was entertaining in that regard and the fact that we are still talking about him is funny to me. Wherever he is I hope he's OK. None of this crap is personal. Shouldn't be anyway.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

scotto wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I'm not going to lie,Ikind of miss him too. As impossible as he made it for me to defend him and as rude as he often was, he made me laugh sometimes and I have to admit, the way he just did not care whether or not anybody here liked him and was perfectly willing to be all on his own was sort of refreshing too in a strange way.
lol! I have a mental picture of what people look like when I talk to them online and have never seen them. I never had one for LJ. :D

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
scotto wrote:
lol! I have a mental picture of what people look like when I talk to them online and have never seen them. I never had one for LJ. :D
Then people post pictures from homecoming and I go "wait, THAT'S what that dude looks like?"

But you mean you didn't always picture LJ looking like Obama kissing some world leader? Or Tori Amos? Or Barenaked Ladies?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Lol. For some reason I never could really imagine what he would look like. What makes it even weirder is that when I read his posts I always imagined that he sounded like a kid rather than a grown man. Like I said the whole thing was strangely entertaining even if it was annoying.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just re-read the first 5 pages of the "Neverending Political" thread and I had to stop. Every post from LJ is him putting words in other people's mouths or arguing against points that no one is making. It's infuriating

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:Just re-read the first 5 pages of the "Neverending Political" thread and I had to stop. Every post from LJ is him putting words in other people's mouths or arguing against points that no one is making. It's infuriating
Lol. Just look how much traffic he has generated in this thread despite the fact that he's been gone for years. :D

scotto

Post by scotto »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:Just re-read the first 5 pages of the "Neverending Political" thread and I had to stop. Every post from LJ is him putting words in other people's mouths or arguing against points that no one is making. It's infuriating
Lol. Just look how much traffic he has generated in this thread despite the fact that he's been gone for years. :D
Just think: He we were complaining about 3DD losing its luster and all it took to bring back the magic was LJ.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:With every passing day I feel even better about never doing the FB thing. And not for one second have I dealt with FOMO
I resisted, then I tried it, now I will regret it the rest of my life.
This thread was cool as hell till the name dropping started.
And that guy in the wheelchair, as Gomer would say "shame, shame, shame"
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
I don't disagree that he was an asshole but surely there are bigger ones in this world than our little old LJ. Lol.

What can I say? I have a strong contrarian streak and I always get a weird kick out of people who drive everyone crazy. Lol. He was entertaining in that regard and the fact that we are still talking about him is funny to me. Wherever he is I hope he's OK. None of this crap is personal. Shouldn't be anyway.
I miss him too and feel like he kinda got railroaded. He was like the crazy cousin or uncle that every family has. He's crazy and inappropriate and he annoys the shit out of everyone, but you still have to invite him to Thanksgiving or at least see him once or twice a year, right? Well that was LJ. He was a dick, but he was our dick and I feel like we shouldn't have dumped him like that.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:I miss him too and feel like he kinda got railroaded. He was like the crazy cousin or uncle that every family has. He's crazy and inappropriate and he annoys the shit out of everyone, but you still have to invite him to Thanksgiving or at least see him once or twice a year, right? Well that was LJ. He was a dick, but he was our dick and I feel like we shouldn't have dumped him like that.
You weren't getting all the angry messages I was about LJ. People were DEMANDING I ban him 6-8 months before I actually did it. I gave him every opportunity to tone it down, specifically not calling people "cunts" and the like, and ten minutes after he would have read my message he did it again. It had gotten to the point where 2-3 hours of every single day was spent dealing with "the LJ problem" from either complainers about him, or just from his actions. Then once I did it I got attacked by too many people. It was a rough situation, there weren't any easy answers, but in the end I sided with the folks that were tired of having their days ruined in a place they went to escape.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

scotto wrote:
Zip City wrote:I use Facebook but have avoided twitter like the plague
Interestingly, I'm on Twitter a ton more than FB, but only to read the goings on of folks I follow. I've never "tweeted" and have no intention to. But I love following a few dozen journalists, artists, activists, writers, politicians, and OhNoSheTwitnt.
This is essentially how I use Facebook. Constant news feed about people, bands I care about while rarely putting anything out there.

Speaking of the 9b/3dd good old days, always good to see you around Scotto.

Clams wrote: He was a dick, but he was our dick and I feel like we shouldn't have dumped him like that.
He's a legit racist, white victim who would send your children to the gas chamber without a second thought. He and the Randian fuck wads like him should be shunned and discriminated against at every opportunity.

In case he's reading this right now - Hey LJ, fuck you.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

That was kinda heavy. Please accept this sweet video as an apology for my sleep deprived grumpiness.

Not you LJ, still fuck You

Beebs is not a ragey man

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i only brought LJ up to compliment this place for its maturity-ish :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:
Clams wrote: He was a dick, but he was our dick and I feel like we shouldn't have dumped him like that.
He's a legit racist, white victim who would send your children to the gas chamber without a second thought. He and the Randian fuck wads like him should be shunned and discriminated against at every opportunity.

I never really got down in the gutter and tangled with him, so maybe I just never really knew how bad he really was.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
Beebs wrote:

I never really got down in the gutter and tangled with him, so maybe I just never really knew how bad he really was.
Nah. He was a prick and he said things he shouldn't have said but he was just doing it to watch some of these people freak out. He was a provocateur and nothing more. I think he even said so a few times. I believe what LJ used to do is now commonly referred to as "shit posting" by all the kids and people in the know. Provocation for provocation's sake in other words. Or for entertainment or whatever.

I am not privy to the info the mods have in terms of complaints etc so I'm not saying TC was wrong to ban him (something I know TC still didn't do lightly) but the way he used to make people's heads explode, and did so all alone while he would get triple teamed and has still got people retroactively furious, man it was cheap entertainment. Comedy of the absurd.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

I dropped FB, not because of the DBT group, but just too much going on there on FB even before the Zuckergate. It was affecting my peace of mind, just a little, and I do not need that anymore than anyone else trying to make sense of this crazy world. I still enjoy TDD even if it is not quite as active as in the 2000s. Heck, neither am I!