Yellowstone

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Yellowstone

Post by Flea »

We are contemplating going in September. Fly to Denver, maybe stay a night or 2 at the Stanley Hotel (the inspiration for The Shining), then drive up through Wyoming and the Grand Tetons to Yellowstone. Thinking maybe 4 days in the Park, then back home via either Jackson airport or West Yellowstone airport. Anyone made this trek that can offer advice?
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Yellowstone

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Flea wrote:We are contemplating going in September. Fly to Denver, maybe stay a night or 2 at the Stanley Hotel (the inspiration for The Shining), then drive up through Wyoming and the Grand Tetons to Yellowstone. Thinking maybe 4 days in the Park, then back home via either Jackson airport or West Yellowstone airport. Anyone made this trek that can offer advice?
I have done the opposite approach, driving from Glacier down to Yellowstone and then to Tetons. DO IT!!! We ended up spending infinitely more time at the Tetons than Yellowstone, where there were just far too many people to properly enjoy what we wanted to enjoy. Since you asked advice, I would definitely recommend spending more time in the Tetons, unless you just absolutely are set on seeing all of the same things all of the teeming masses are set on seeing in Yellowstone. Jackson was fun when we were there, but that was 1998 so it likely isn't the same place as when we were there. We drove so I can't offer any advice re: flying
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

Been up that way a couple times, most recently in 2011. September is probably a good time to go, after the families and kids are back in school. As WWCD mentioned, do not overlook Jackson and Grand Teton NP - it's definitely the little brother to Yellowstone, but the Tetons are stunning and it's got just as much to see and do as Yellowstone. We spent a few days there and then did an easy day's drive up through Eastern Idaho to reach Yellowstone. I'm not into touristy towns so we avoided West Yellowstone and instead stayed a few nights at a cool fishing lodge in Island Park, ID which is about 30 miles south of West Yellowstone.

To get there from Philly, we flew right into Jackson airport (connected in Denver). We didn't fly out though - after Yellowstone we continued on up to Montana and eventually Glacier NP. Man is it fucking beautiful up there, you're gonna love it.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Are you expecting to be completely recovered by September? I ask because there are some amazing-but-strenuous-as-fuck hikes in the Tetons. Said hikes will kick your ass from pillar to post but the payoffs are spectacular

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Go man, go. I want to take my family to Yellowstone but want to wait until my daughter is a little older. Grand Teton too.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:Go man, go. I want to take my family to Yellowstone but want to wait until my daughter is a little older. Grand Teton too.
Don't forget Glacier, my favorite of those three parks

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Are you expecting to be completely recovered by September? I ask because there are some amazing-but-strenuous-as-fuck hikes in the Tetons. Said hikes will kick your ass from pillar to post but the payoffs are spectacular
I'm 95% now. I can outmaneuver my wife if one of us has to be bear brunch
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:Go man, go. I want to take my family to Yellowstone but want to wait until my daughter is a little older. Grand Teton too.
My kids were around 12 and 10 and they loved it. Six years later and they still remember every detail of the trip.

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Don't forget Glacier, my favorite of those three parks
Yes... and Whitefish, only about 10 miles from Glacier, is a great little town to spend a few days. Great vibe and much more laid back than Jackson and West Yellowstone.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Unless you are desperate for a brewery or high-end shopping, you wouldn’t miss much by blowing off Jackson.

Agree about West Yellowstone, but man did it save our ass one day when camping there. A relentless rainstorm came through, so only thing we could do was go to WY. Had some Mexican food and saw the Everest movie (based on the expedition written about in Into Thin Air) at the IMAX

Hud

Post by Hud »

Tar ghee bluegrass fest in August is awesome, you can take the ski lift up to the top. Still snow patches up there , alpine meadows are in full bloom (breathtaking) , Tetons in the background. You could go to Yellowstone from there.
I've also done Yellowstone in the winter , snowmobiles. Not sure it's still allowed, but had a blast
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

We have a couple of acres about 10 miles from the southwest corner of Yellowstone that we hope to build on someday. I highly recommend a trip through the park. September is a great time to visit, but can still be relatively busy. The park starts to close down after the first week of October. Depending on the weather, which can turn to snow any month of the year, Fall can be a great time to see the Park. West Yellowstone is touristy, but is still a great starting point for a great day of driving around Yellowstone. Of course, to really get a taste of the Park, it helps to get off the main road. Take a hike, but always, ALWAYS respect wildlife, follow safety rules, and stay on the trails. Every year some genius will try to pet a Bison, or go off trail and find out that the dangers of falling in a thermal pool are real, and the warnings are there for a reason. If you go up to the Lamar Valley, you'll have a good chance of seeing Wolves (look for the Wolf Van), Grizzly Bears, Bison, Elk, Mountain Goats (on Barronette Peak) and all kinds of other wild critters. Someday I hope to spend a night at Old Faithful Inn, one of the greatest examples of "Parkitechture" in existence.