Las Vegas concert shooting

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Las Vegas concert shooting

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, that hurts.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

I'm going to say this because the Heathen who said it to me doesn't want to be associated with the thought, but it's too funny to let pass and I don't give a shit. In regards to the shooter:

"Jason Aldean drove him to it."
Now it's dark.

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

Flea wrote:I'm going to say this because the Heathen who said it to me doesn't want to be associated with the thought, but it's too funny to let pass and I don't give a shit. In regards to the shooter:

Similarly evil thoughts have bubbled up in my mind, I will confess.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

disgruntledgoat wrote:
Flea wrote:I'm going to say this because the Heathen who said it to me doesn't want to be associated with the thought, but it's too funny to let pass and I don't give a shit. In regards to the shooter:

My mind turns toward the funny line in times of trouble and agitation generally. When I first saw a news item about this, just after it happened, one along those lines started to form up in my mind. I rolled it around a little as I did other things. Then the second batch of news came in, making it clear more than one or two people had been shot, and I dropped it.

That is how bad things are: I felt okay about making a joke about a couple of people getting shot. It was only when it added up to nearly a Newtown, more than two Umpquas, that it stopped being funny. The bar has been raised. Ordinary retail death is funny now; it's just the wholesale trade that matters.

The only good thing I can see about it is that even if once or twice isn't enough to change the balance from one side to the other, Judge Roy Moore is still a goat fucker. If only his name were Ray, I'd have something really funny to say about him. So it goes.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

disgruntledgoat wrote:

I've always been a fan of dark humor, especially if it straddles the line of good taste, but it's taken a minute to get there this time. It could be because I saw a few attempts, some I most certainly would've come up with myself if given the time and the right frame of mind, and witnessed them fall flat before I was ready.

Warning:I've had a couple and I'm about to get pretty Hallmark-y, but another reason I because it immediately followed a weekend that reminded me how fucking powerful the love of music is, especially when it's shared by a huge group of people, most of whom are complete strangers. In day-to-day life I'm not a real emotionally open guy, not with family or friends; I keep shit close to my chest. It's how I was raised and old habits are hard to kick, although I made a conscious decision not to raise my kids that way and I believe I've been successful in that regard. But even LaDonna would be the first to tell you that I almost seem like a different person when the music is loud and I'm surrounded by a few hundred like-minded strangers. That's the only time I let my proverbial hair down, so to speak; all self-consciousness and reservations about "what will they think?" go out the window, at least in a DBT crowd, because I know they get it. In that moment I am completely vulnerable because I know I'm safe at least for until the shows over,and even then when I'm surrounded by folks like us, I can be myself for a little bit longer before heading back to real life. I guess my nerve endings were still bare and my mind was still halfway lingering in Atlanta when I read about what had happened, because all that registered with me was "shooting at country music concert" and I immediately felt somewhere between immensely sad and mad as fuck.i felt a kinship with those concertgoers; it wouldn't have mattered if it had been a Colt Ford, Justin Bieber, Ted Nugent, Kings of Leon, or Florida Georgia Line concert; don't fuck with people at the a show, whether it's in a dive bar, theater, parking lot, or Madison Square Garden. Then just when I thought I had successfully beat back the tears and wouldn't succumb to the sorrow I felt for the victims and the survivors,.motherfucking Tom Petty learned to fly. What the fuck, Monday?

I can handle jokes about Jason Aldean now, but I firmly believe you can do better than that one, Flea ;)
Sorry for rambling, don't even know what the point of this post is other than selfish ranting. I'm more than a couple in now.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Just read it.
Story like that is supposed to have a happy ending. :( :cry: :cry:
Ya gotta know when to roll the credits.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Too busy at the moment to do the research, but I wonder what the ban did for suicide numbers in Australia
After a cursory googling of that shit, headlines seem to state that declined slowly or plummeted. Maybe this article will go more in depth, but I gotta work tonight so I need some sleep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 4c4117fa64

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: And to make it more complicated, and to be honest, Australia's success hasn't gone on long enough to be proof that their system works. I'd go so far as to say it's a strong indication that it can work, but not much .
20+ years is long enough for me to give it the thumbs up.
You couldn't do it exactly the same in the US, but it's food for thought.

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote: And to make it more complicated, and to be honest, Australia's success hasn't gone on long enough to be proof that their system works. I'd go so far as to say it's a strong indication that it can work, but not much .
20+ years is long enough for me to give it the thumbs up.
You couldn't do it exactly the same in the US, but it's food for thought.
They're smaller enough that it's hard to be sure, but it gets my thumb up, too.

If you wait too long to be sure, you end up like this:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:Warning:I've had a couple and I'm about to get pretty Hallmark-y, but another reason I because it immediately followed a weekend that reminded me how fucking powerful the love of music is, especially when it's shared by a huge group of people, most of whom are complete strangers. In day-to-day life I'm not a real emotionally open guy, not with family or friends; I keep shit close to my chest. It's how I was raised and old habits are hard to kick, although I made a conscious decision not to raise my kids that way and I believe I've been successful in that regard. But even LaDonna would be the first to tell you that I almost seem like a different person when the music is loud and I'm surrounded by a few hundred like-minded strangers. That's the only time I let my proverbial hair down, so to speak; all self-consciousness and reservations about "what will they think?" go out the window, at least in a DBT crowd, because I know they get it. In that moment I am completely vulnerable because I know I'm safe at least for until the shows over,and even then when I'm surrounded by folks like us, I can be myself for a little bit longer before heading back to real life. I guess my nerve endings were still bare and my mind was still halfway lingering in Atlanta when I read about what had happened, because all that registered with me was "shooting at country music concert" and I immediately felt somewhere between immensely sad and mad as fuck.i felt a kinship with those concertgoers; it wouldn't have mattered if it had been a Colt Ford, Justin Bieber, Ted Nugent, Kings of Leon, or Florida Georgia Line concert; don't fuck with people at the a show, whether it's in a dive bar, theater, parking lot, or Madison Square Garden. Then just when I thought I had successfully beat back the tears and wouldn't succumb to the sorrow I felt for the victims and the survivors,.motherfucking Tom Petty learned to fly. What the fuck, Monday?
The Bitter Southerner put this up. It speaks for me and, I think, for you and most of the rest of us:

Flea

Post by Flea »

Smitty wrote:
I can handle jokes about Jason Aldean now, but I firmly believe you can do better than that one, Flea ;)
As I said, I'm merely the messenger, not the originator.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote: I guess my nerve endings were still bare and my mind was still halfway lingering in Atlanta when I read about what had happened, because all that registered with me was "shooting at country music concert" and I immediately felt somewhere between immensely sad and mad as fuck.i felt a kinship with those concertgoers; it wouldn't have mattered if it had been a Colt Ford, Justin Bieber, Ted Nugent, Kings of Leon, or Florida Georgia Line concert; don't fuck with people at the a show, whether it's in a dive bar, theater, parking lot, or Madison Square Garden. Then just when I thought I had successfully beat back the tears and wouldn't succumb to the sorrow I felt for the victims and the survivors,.motherfucking Tom Petty learned to fly. What the fuck, Monday?
Fucking perfect, Smitty. We can joke about people's taste's but in the end those tastes are theirs and theirs alone and no one has the right to steal their joy. I remember last year after the Paris shooting and realizing that the pictures in the club before the gunfire were, in all reality, the same pictures I see on my FB page every single weekend. People smiling, taking selfies selfies drinks in hand (or not), anxiously awaiting the emotional high that music brings. Fuck these people that want to take that away. After Sunday night's shooting I did feel kinship with these people because they are us, they are our brothers and sisters and they were there because the music meant something to them. Now too many of them are gone. The motives don't matter to me. Some are saying that they are glad the shooter wasn't Muslim, and I get that because some people unfairly blame worshippers of that faith by association, but I don't. Some are trying to understand his political views to see "who's side" he was on. I'll tell you what side he was on, the side of mayhem, and horror and the worst kind of anti-humanity. I could give a shit who he voted for or admired, or hated for that matter. He committed an atrocity on all of us.

It's interesting that you tie Tom Petty's death into this, Smitty. There are those that were angry at the outpouring of emotions as news of his death spread. Some even in our community felt anger towards the posting of Petty lyrics, videos, personal stories and the like. Here's where those folks were off base, it's all connected. This week I've had discussions about TP and his music in political groups, baseball groups and music oriented groups and communities. His music was the soundtrack of all kind of lives and as we were reeling from a grievous wound in the greater musical community we lost one of the great unifiers. How one could think that those two things could or should be separate is beyond me.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I remember last year after the Paris shooting and realizing that the pictures in the club before the gunfire were, in all reality, the same pictures I see on my FB page every single weekend. People smiling, taking selfies selfies drinks in hand (or not), anxiously awaiting the emotional high that music brings. Fuck these people that want to take that away.
Right between the Dexateens and DBT was when the notifications started coming in on my phone about Paris. It was one of the oddest feelings. And worst.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:It's interesting that you tie Tom Petty's death into this, Smitty. There are those that were angry at the outpouring of emotions as news of his death spread. Some even in our community felt anger towards the posting of Petty lyrics, videos, personal stories and the like. Here's where those folks were off base, it's all connected.
If were weren't all connected, I'd say fuck those people, but as it is, I'm just not in the mood.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I'm never not in the mood to say fuck those people. 24/7/365
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:"Jason Aldean drove him to it."
on his big green tractor

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: I'll tell you what side he was on, the side of mayhem, and horror and the worst kind of anti-humanity. I could give a shit who he voted for or admired, or hated for that matter. He committed an atrocity on all of us.
Bingo
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Last night during the Florida Georgia Line show in Jax a smoke detector went off mid song. The boys ducked as they ran off the stage and everybody else ran. The tv reporters then found crying teenage girls to interveiw.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Flea

Post by Flea »

Swamp wrote:Last night during the Florida Georgia Line show in Jax a smoke detector went off mid song. The boys ducked as they ran off the stage and everybody else ran. The tv reporters then found crying teenage girls to interveiw.

I'd cry too at a Florida Georgia Line show.
Now it's dark.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Flea wrote:
Swamp wrote:Last night during the Florida Georgia Line show in Jax a smoke detector went off mid song. The boys ducked as they ran off the stage and everybody else ran. The tv reporters then found crying teenage girls to interveiw.

Had I known Nelly was going to be there I would have wanted to go but the misses hates FGL too much.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Flea wrote:

...exactly. Thank you Flea. Duh!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

211poundsofpork wrote:
Flea wrote:

...exactly. Thank you Flea. Duh!
those guys are pretty bad. saw them on 1 of the late night talk shows. nice $500 pre ripped jeans. bleh!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Swamp wrote:
Flea wrote:

Had I known Nelly was going to be there I would have wanted to go but the misses hates FGL too much.
I heard he's still hanging around J'ville, somewhere near the county jail.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Whoa, Nelly :roll:

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Fucking disgusting. I hope Georgia voters call him out on this.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/m ... s-shooting
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:Fucking disgusting. I hope Georgia voters call him out on this.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/m ... s-shooting
So I ask, mostly rhetorically but truly wishing there is an answer, how the heck is anyone supposed to to talk to or negotiate with people like that. Consistent w/ many of his ilk, his grasp of geometry (or maybe it's just firearms 101, either way it's the same) is as bad as his grasp on reality. I didn't even have to get to the "firearms expert's" quote to know that a shooter doesn't have to be very accurate to commit great damage when he's shooting down into a big, confined crowd. Unbelievable in all respects, literally and figuratively. Yet it seems that many people do believe.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard