Harry Dean Stanton

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

PonyGirl

Harry Dean Stanton

Post by PonyGirl »

RIP - one of my favourites. Time to watch Paris Texas and cry... Terrible week for losing amazing talent.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Harry Dean Stanton

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Via Facebook:
Jay Russell wrote:My best Harry Dean Stanton story - When Levon Helm would come for extended stays in LA, Harry Dean would be in the hotel room every night (as would I, pretty much). HDS would always bring his guitar and want to play songs with Levon. As good an actor as Harry Dean was, he was a terrible guitar player. As the evening would go on, Levon, who never got riled at anything, would get so frustrated and aggravated with Harry Dean's playing that he would finally say - "I think we better give that song a rest, Harry Dean." And then the next night it would start all over again. RIP Harry Dean.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

njMark

Post by njMark »

I hope Netflix has Red Dawn and Pretty in Pink, he was just the greatest.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

a friend of mine just posted this interview excerpt from HDS.... perfect.

"... I'm 87 years old...I only eat so I can smoke and stay alive.. The only fear I have is how long consciousness is gonna hang on after my body goes. I just hope there's nothing. Like there was before I was born. I'm not really into religion, they're all macrocosms of the ego. When man began to think he was a separate person with a separate soul, it created a violent situation.

The void, the concept of nothingness, is terrifying to most people on the planet. And I get anxiety attacks myself. I know the fear of that void. You have to learn to die before you die. You give up, surrender to the void, to nothingness.

Anybody else you've interviewed bring these things up? Hang on, I gotta take this call..... 'Hey, brother. That's great, man. Yeah, I'm being interviewed... We're talking about nothing. I've got him well-steeped in nothing right now. He's stopped asking questions.'"

Also, a story from Steve Michener of Big Dipper and Volcano Suns:
Naturally, I have a Harry Dean Stanton story, since it's all about me. I loved his acting going back to Paris, Texas but didn't realize he also played music until much later. So, back in the early 90's I was in LA for the weekend, hanging out with Phil Morrison while he made a commercial. He was 'in residence' at the Chateau Marmont and, on Saturday night, word got out that 'Free Willy'/'Reservoir Dogs' actor, Michael Madsen, was having a birthday party in the Marmont penthouse. Joe Puleo and I went upstairs but were rebuffed by the hired bouncer who recognized us as losers. We went back to Phil's room, now occupied by various Sonic Youths and their manager, John Silva. It was decided that having a SY guitarist in tow was enough firepower to get us in so we again made our way to the penthouse only to be rebuffed yet again by the same bouncer, who was obviously agitated that Puleo and I were still trying to get in. Back in Phil's room, Silva decided to make some calls and get us into the party by back-channeling with someone he knew inside the party. The third attempt was successful (the original bouncer was on break or something) and we were suddenly amongst the 'beautiful people' in the Hollywood celeb birthday party. It took us about 5 minutes to realize how fucking boring the whole scene was because Madsen and his buddies were holed up in the bedroom doing coke and the rest of the party was made up of very attractive hangers-on who just stood around looking at everyone to see if they were 'somebody'. 'Nobody was 'anybody' and we were getting ready to leave when a band started playing on the patio. i was thrilled to find it was Harry Dean with a small combo playing some standards and they sounded great. After a few songs, Harry chided the non-dancing, unengaged crowd, calling them 'boring'. I couldn't have agreed more, my first Hollywood party and it was a snoozefest! Nevertheless, I was enjoying the music with the lights of Hollywood below me when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was the bouncer telling me in no uncertain terms to get the fuck out of the party, Now! We retreated to Chez Morrison with our tails between our legs but I was happy that I got to rub elbows with the great man himself. Thanks, Harry Dean, for all the great work you did. You were cooler than all those Hollywood assholes.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing