Comedians

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

drommel56

Comedians

Post by drommel56 »

Curious as to everyone's favorite comedians... ones that are currently working standup. I'll start with my top 5...
Doug Stanhope- the best, we never miss a show when he comes around.
Bill Burr
Ricky Gervais
Joe Rogan
Kathleen Madigan
Honorable mention to Tom Segura, Kyle Kinane, Sebastian Maniscalco, Louis CK

Stanhope is head and shoulders above the rest
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

Iowan

Re: Comedians

Post by Iowan »

Stanhope
Burr
Joe Rogan
Segura
Marc Maron
Bert Kreischer
Chapelle
Joey Diaz

Flea

Post by Flea »

Andy Kaufman
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Richard Pryor

My list, my rules.
Now it's dark.

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

Flea wrote:Andy Kaufman
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Richard Pryor

My list, my rules.
At least you got Hicks in there
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Flea wrote:Andy Kaufman
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Richard Pryor

My list, my rules.
I hate going with the obvious picks, but I would add Chappelle and call this my top 5.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Have any of you ever seen Leslie Jones do a set? She kills me on Weekend Update (and elsewhere). I gather those are mostly bits from her standup routine. Does it work over a whole show?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

i saw Richard Pryor when I was in high school (before he burnt up). all down hill since then.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

current ones that are consistently brilliant:

Louis CK
Hannibal Burress
Dave Chappelle

Daniel Kitson is very funny too.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Dave Chapelle
Brian Callan
Joe Rogan
Bill Burr
Hannibal Burress

Don't know if Rodney Carrington is still working but I used to really like him. Henry Cho as well.

George Carlin is probably my all time favorite.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:George Carlin is probably my all time favorite.
Mine's probably Lenny Bruce (unless the Firesign Theatre counts*), but I do love Carlin. He's the first one I saw live, and for that I owe him extra special thanks. I only really knew one John Prine song, Joan Baez's version of Hello In There, till I saw him open for Carlin. I bought the songbook for the first record not long after.

*Only to ten, Mudhead.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

tinnitus photography wrote:current ones that are consistently brilliant:

Louis CK
Hannibal Burress
Dave Chappelle

Daniel Kitson is very funny too.
Hannibal Burress has to be one of the most underrated among the current crop. Saw him a few months ago and he was great.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

he's awesomely funny. bummed i couldn't get into the comedy venue for Boston Calling this year for his set... fire dept was there and no one else was getting in, press pass or not. i've seen him 3 or 4 times now and i'll always make it to a local show.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Don't know that he qualifies as a comedian,maybe he does, but I love Jerry Clower. Ma dad had a bunch of his records when we were kids and I still enjoy listening to him to this day. Marcel and the veer joint probably be g my favorite of his stories.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:Don't know that he qualifies as a comedian,maybe he does, but I love Jerry Clower. Ma dad had a bunch of his records when we were kids and I still enjoy listening to him to this day. Marcel and the veer joint probably be g my favorite of his stories.
If someone stands up to talk and makes you laugh on purpose, they're a comedian. I'm sure in Jerry Clower's case, because he opened for Roy Clark when my dad and I saw him all those years ago in Kansas City. He was very, very funny.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Hannibal Burress was an oversight on my part. He's pretty regular on the podcast circuit and always brilliant there, too.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Have any of you ever seen Leslie Jones do a set? She kills me on Weekend Update (and elsewhere). I gather those are mostly bits from her standup routine. Does it work over a whole show?
I've never seen her stand up (if she does it), but she's a funny actor for sure. Doesn't necessarily translate to stand up, but it would be worth watching.

As an example, I think Michael Che is hilarious on weekend update, but found his Netflix special to be just "ok".

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Iowan wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Have any of you ever seen Leslie Jones do a set? She kills me on Weekend Update (and elsewhere). I gather those are mostly bits from her standup routine. Does it work over a whole show?
I've never seen her stand up (if she does it), but she's a funny actor for sure. Doesn't necessarily translate to stand up, but it would be worth watching.

As an example, I think Michael Che is hilarious on weekend update, but found his Netflix special to be just "ok".
I was lukewarm about Michael Che's Netflix special as well. I can vouch for him stand up. The wife and I flew out for a long weekend in NYC to see DBT at Terminal 5 in 2014. We wanted to see a comedy show at Caroline's and Broadway. I didn't know him at the time, only knew that he was writing for SNL and briefly making appearances. Bought tickets at the door and he had us in stitches.

Great ones that I have seen
George Carlin
Robin Williams (The funniest)
Jim Jefferies (my favorite currently)

The least enjoyable that I have seen
Bob Saget
Jon Lovitz

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Cole Younger wrote:Don't know that he qualifies as a comedian,maybe he does, but I love Jerry Clower. Ma dad had a bunch of his records when we were kids and I still enjoy listening to him to this day. Marcel and the veer joint probably be g my favorite of his stories.
First record I bought with my own $ was Jerry Clower's Country Ham at Ernest Tubb's Record Store. Had to be early 74, as Stringbean's murder was still in the news in Nashville. Plus I recall that Nixon was still in office. I was 8

HAWWWWWW!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey Cole, enjoy this

Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

John A Arkansawyer

Iowan wrote:
She's actually a long-time stand-up who only started acting after she was hired to write for SNL. I'm surprised she didn't branch out into acting earlier.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:

oh yeah, I remember him. Remember being envious of fuck of the older kids who had his truckstop tapes. Talk about a blast from the past

Flea

Post by Flea »

Every local convenience store in my part of NC sold his Truck Stop 8-Tracks at the register. Generally 3 or 4 bucks. Had quite a few of those.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:Every local convenience store in my part of NC sold his Truck Stop 8-Tracks at the register. Generally 3 or 4 bucks. Had quite a few of those.
what was your part of NC? I know you've mentioned it before but I don't remember. Buncombe County for me. There was a truckstop just a few miles from us, just across the line into Henderson County, where they had a bunch of his stuff.

Gene Tracy, that's a name I hadn't heard or thought of in forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Grew up in the Hickory area.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:Grew up in the Hickory area.
Catawba County? I remember going to the races there a few times when I was a youngun. In high school I recall playing Hickory in soccer once

whatwouldcooleydo?

do you still live in NC? I left in 92 but all my family is still there in Asheville/Arden

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
do you still live in NC? I left in 92 but all my family is still there in Asheville/Arden
Now in Tidewater VA area. This was the one Tracy tape I remember most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpL0HPP ... P689I&t=30
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:

You had mentioned living in Tidewater before, now I remember it

class of 84 here, wonder if we ever crossed paths at concerts in Charlotte/Greensboro/Triangle

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

When I was a kid the neighbor's parents had several Redd Fox records. We had to sneak around to get em out and listen to em. Filthy and hysterical to my 10 yr old ears.
My parents had a couple Bob Newhart records including Button Down Mind. Also hysterical.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Flea wrote:

You had mentioned living in Tidewater before, now I remember it

class of 84 here, wonder if we ever crossed paths at concerts in Charlotte/Greensboro/Triangle

Very likely. I went to Wake Forest, then NC State. Saw a ton of shows in both Greensboro/Triangle, only a few in Charlotte, between 82 and 93.
Now it's dark.