Comedians

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Comedians

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Flea wrote:Very likely. I went to Wake Forest, then NC State. Saw a ton of shows in both Greensboro/Triangle, only a few in Charlotte, between 82 and 93.
Sounds very likely. I was hitting shows in all places mentioned by 81, and then I lived in Chapel Hill from 89-92 and caught a ton of shows all over the region. I worked at the Record Bar (Tracks) store in Asheville from 87-89 and in 89 got a job at the corporate office in Durham, where I worked until the company was sold :( :( :(

Small world
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Flea wrote:

Holy crap, Gene Tracy! I haven't thought about him in a while. I had a cassette of his. Truck Stop #7 I believe it was called.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

This thread needs more Eddie Izzard
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Flea wrote:Very likely. I went to Wake Forest, then NC State. Saw a ton of shows in both Greensboro/Triangle, only a few in Charlotte, between 82 and 93.
Sounds very likely. I was hitting shows in all places mentioned by 81, and then I lived in Chapel Hill from 89-92 and caught a ton of shows all over the region. I worked at the Record Bar (Tracks) store in Asheville from 87-89 and in 89 got a job at the corporate office in Durham, where I worked until the company was sold :( :( :(

Small world
Spent a lot of money at Record Bar. And The Record Xchange. Did you catch Talking Heads at UNC in 83?
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Small world
Spent a lot of money at Record Bar. And The Record Xchange. Did you catch Talking Heads at UNC in 83?
Did not, saw them in Charlotte in either 82 or 83. When I was in high school (graduated in 84), travel for shows was pretty much Charlotte, Greensboro, Knoxville, and Greenville/Spartanburg.

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i've heard some rumblings but nothing in detail. this was an interesting bit in teh RS piece:
And when he arrives back at said well-off bachelor pad, with his vulgar sidekick in tow (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Charlie Day, the movie's impish resident Id), his kid is already there, waiting for him. Played by 20-year-old Chloe Grace Moretz and done up for maximum teen-Lolita effect, the movie introduces her lolling around in a bikini, at which point you begin find several trains of thought colliding violently into each other. Is C.K.'s camera straight-up ogling the young woman, or is that simply how we're reading it? Or is this completely in character for China, who's learning how to weaponize her feminine wiles while playing up her daddy's-little-girl affectations so Dad will let her do whatever she wants? Are we supposed to feel this uncomfortably complicit watching this? Can all of these notions be equally correct, response-wise? Get used to this conflicted feeling. You're going to be experiencing it a lot.

whatwouldcooleydo?

speaking of Andy Kaufman

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/s ... tival-tiff

Carrey was so committed to method acting that he would only work “as Andy” or “as Tony”, which is annoying enough, but when you factor in that Kaufman and his creation Clifton were intentional agents of chaos, you can see how it could be a recipe for trouble.

Carrey had a documentary crew follow him around during the production, and their footage has been sitting on a shelf for nearly 20 years. Knitting this footage together along with a present-day interview with a bearded, philosophical Carrey, director Chris Smith (American Movie) has all the elements of an inquiry into the madness behind fame, art, performance and the issue of when a joke has gone “too far”.

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:speaking of Andy Kaufman

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/s ... tival-tiff

Carrey was so committed to method acting that he would only work “as Andy” or “as Tony”, which is annoying enough, but when you factor in that Kaufman and his creation Clifton were intentional agents of chaos, you can see how it could be a recipe for trouble.

Carrey had a documentary crew follow him around during the production, and their footage has been sitting on a shelf for nearly 20 years. Knitting this footage together along with a present-day interview with a bearded, philosophical Carrey, director Chris Smith (American Movie) has all the elements of an inquiry into the madness behind fame, art, performance and the issue of when a joke has gone “too far”.
If we lived in a just and ideal world, Donald Trump would hold a Presser at which he removes his disguise, revealing that he is Andy.
Now it's dark.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:George Carlin is probably my all time favorite.
Mine's probably Lenny Bruce (unless the Firesign Theatre counts*), but I do love Carlin. He's the first one I saw live, and for that I owe him extra special thanks. I only really knew one John Prine song, Joan Baez's version of Hello In There, till I saw him open for Carlin. I bought the songbook for the first record not long after.

*Only to ten, Mudhead.
Was listening to Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers the other day. We used to get stoned out of our minds and listen to these guys all the time.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Sam Kinison.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Markalanbishop wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Only to ten, Mudhead.
Was listening to Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers the other day. We used to get stoned out of our minds and listen to these guys all the time.
I occasionally log on to the Thursday night chat you can find on this Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chromium.switch/ Both Proctor and Ossman show up from time to time. One night, Proctor ran down, in excruciating detail, exactly how computing of the era influenced I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus. I was rapt.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

watched Equanimity last night, most enjoyable

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

watched Equanimity last night, most enjoyable
Yesterday afternoon for me, and I agree.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I found Equanimity to be funnier, and The Bird Revelation to be more thought provoking.

Thoroughly enjoyed both. Chappelle is just operating on a totally different level than most humans.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I found Equanimity to be funnier, and The Bird Revelation to be more thought provoking.

Thoroughly enjoyed both. Chappelle is just operating on a totally different level than most humans.
want to watch Bird Revelation today but unlikely with (German) MIL arriving in 6 hours for a five-day visit. Almost certain that I won't have time to view it before she and her husband arrive

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:George Carlin is probably my all time favorite.
Mine's probably Lenny Bruce (unless the Firesign Theatre counts*), but I do love Carlin. He's the first one I saw live, and for that I owe him extra special thanks. I only really knew one John Prine song, Joan Baez's version of Hello In There, till I saw him open for Carlin. I bought the songbook for the first record not long after.

*Only to ten, Mudhead.
I didn't know you masturbated, John.

Current favorites:

1) by a long shot, Jim Norton

2) Mark Normand
3) Aziz Ansari
4) Vic Henley
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

saw Lewis Black on Sunday, 2nd time I've seen him. He was great but he seemed really tired. He's been touring the west heavily for last 3 weeks or so, maybe the road is taking its toll.