NFL 2017

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: NFL 2017

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Last night was the most entertaining game of NFL football I've seen in years. Since giving up on the NFL after the 2014-2015 season I've only seen a handful of games, only one not a postseason game, so I honestly had no idea what to expect, but I got one hell of a game. At the tail end of my fanatical football fandom all I could see in the game was what was wrong. I saw missed tackles, poor scheming and generally poor play. When the teams would score on long passing plays I didn't see the beauty in the play but in the failure of the defense. I couldn't wait to analyze the game and solidify what pissed me off. I listened to sports radio non-stop as well so every single player's foibles and weaknesses were discussed endlessly so I wasn't watching a game a I was picking apart people. It felt to me that players were letting ME down both on my rooting interest and my fantasy football team. Going into the game last night I didn't know any of that. I still listen to a little MLB radio so every so often a little NFL creeps in through a promo for another show or what not and I heard a couple of "experts" talking about how Nick Foles sucked and didn't have the skill to win. He didn't look like he sucked to me, not last night. For the first time that I can remember I enjoyed a football game, a Super Bowl, because I went in with no preconceived notions (or very few), no inside knowledge of the game, no endless analysis, no idea which guys were supposed to be good or bad and I had a fucking blast watching a game, not picking apart a sport. In short I was entertained and I had forgotten that was the point. My takeaway? Endless sports coverage and sports radio don't do games a lot of favors. This isn't life or death it's a game, a damned fun one once you strip away the baggage.

Congratulations Eagles fans! Savor that one, you deserve it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

overall, the post season did a lot to restore my faith in the game. congrats to philly. oh btw, my seahawks beat philly with carson wentz pretty decisively this year. just saying.... :D

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The last few years the post-season play has been really fun. Much more so than the regular season.

Like TC said, the barrage of media coverage takes a lot of fun out of sports. I feel the same way about the rest of the world as well. The 24/7 cycle is a bad thing and we should reject/move away from it as individuals.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Clams wrote:I'm guessing that it's not that big a deal in New England anymore when the Pats are in the Super Bowl. As far as Philly however, these opportunities don't come around very often and I can tell you that the city is absolutely vibrating with energy right now. People aren't just stoked, they're STOKED. It will be crazy if we win, and I do believe we will.

And in other news, some woman ate 501 chicken wings in front of 20,000 lunatics in South Philly this morning to win Wing Bowl 26.
it's amazing how a SB victory can change your eating habits.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

chuckrh wrote:maybe part of the problem with the nfl is they've lost sight of who their fans are.
Who are their fans? How does one gain sight of who they are?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
chuckrh wrote:maybe part of the problem with the nfl is they've lost sight of who their fans are.
go to a game. majority are middle aged working people. listen to the music at the games, its almost all classic rock with a bit of hip hop thrown in. you go to the stadium & odds are you are going to hear ozzy, ac/dc, g n r, metallica in some combination. here in seattle, we get some pearl jam, nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains thrown in. they are going for the mass market consumers at super bowl who aren't necessarily the same people who watch the league all year. its all a big salute to capitalism. as far as justin timberlake's many cheap pops (hey minneapolis!) go, i would be shocked if 20% of the tickets went to local people. most of the super bowl tickets go to the corporate sponsors. all a part of the mass brainwashing that has been going on with the marriage of corporations & government. i could go on....

tinnitus photography

congrats to clams and the rest of the horseshit eating, awning jumping Eagles fans!

some thoughts on the game.

excellent game to watch... some rare execution errors on the Pats side (bad snap = missed FG, and Steve G missed a PAT all on his own; what is it with extra points in playoffs and that guy?) that loomed a bit larger towards the end of the game. gotta give the Eagles credit for pretty much moving the ball at will; the Pats D never looked very good, aside from Gilmore and Van Noy. I was fairy confident that Brady could march down the field at the end, and while the OL kept the Eagles pass rush at bay for a lot of the game, that strip sack was the game right there. ugh. talk about a perfect bounce for Philly.

1 - big question: was Belichik's hubris the reason for benching Butler? that was the fucking dumbest decision of the game. Rowe was getting torched. if i was Patricia, who is already out the door, i'd have said FU to the Hoodie and played Butler. this is a top corner who played 97% of the team's defensive snaps this year, and he finds out just before the game starts that he's not playing? that is really fucked up.

2 - good to see Gronk break out in the 2nd half and play like he can. there are some thoughts that he might retire next year. i kinda doubt it, but you never know.

3 - Foles made the throws he needed to, and that trick play at the end of the 1st half was a dagger to the Pats and seemed like a middle finger to Belichik in particular.

4 - why can't we get guys like L Blount and C Long? (Lobel joke that only bostonians will get)

5 - if you tell me that Brady will have 500+ yards, 3TD and the team ~115 yards rushing and they lose, with just giving up one turnover? yeah, i wouldn't have thought that was possible.

6 - losing Cooks early on the concussion didn't help matters.

7 - i admit the Pats got a lot of close calls their way this year, and the Ertz TD was correctly called as he became a runner, unlike James in Pitt, but that Clement call? didn't look to me like he had full possession and two feet in.

8 - it was a fantastic run, New England! now the empire will start to crumble.

ps - halftime was terrible, and the ads were uniformly boring.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Man what a game. Could not have scripted it any better. Went toe to toe with Brady and Belichick in the 4th quarter and came up huge in every way. Parade up Broad Street on Thursday will be off the charts. Good times in Philly, folks.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: This isn't life or death it's a game, a damned fun one once you strip away the baggage.
Remember that when the Cubs lose a few games.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

On the bright side, at least now Tom Brady knows how Drew Brees feels.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote: This isn't life or death it's a game, a damned fun one once you strip away the baggage.
Cubs are going 162-0 this year, so nothing to worry about
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LBRod wrote:
I'm not a life and death guy with baseball, I was with football. I was the guy not panicking last year when everyone else was.

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
go to a game. majority are middle aged working people. listen to the music at the games, its almost all classic rock with a bit of hip hop thrown in. you go to the stadium & odds are you are going to hear ozzy, ac/dc, g n r, metallica in some combination. here in seattle, we get some pearl jam, nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains thrown in. they are going for the mass market consumers at super bowl who aren't necessarily the same people who watch the league all year. its all a big salute to capitalism. as far as justin timberlake's many cheap pops (hey minneapolis!) go, i would be shocked if 20% of the tickets went to local people. most of the super bowl tickets go to the corporate sponsors. all a part of the mass brainwashing that has been going on with the marriage of corporations & government. i could go on....
I don't dispute that middle-aged, working people make up part of the NFL's fan base. However, I think it's much larger and more representative than that. If you are trying to grow the game, like the NFL is and should, shouldn't you explore marketing opportunities that might be outside the hardcore base? Speaking personally, I love the sport and could care less who the halftime act is, what music is played during breaks in the action, which players do or do not take a knee, etc. For others, I suppose that stuff matters. However, you'd be hard-pressed to call those people hardcore fans. If you love the sport/game, all the peripheral stuff shouldn't matter much. I don't see it as the NFL losing sight of who their fans are. I think they have a good handle on that. It's more a matter of the league trying to expand that fan base as much as possible. As long as it doesn't affect the actual product on the field, I have no issue with it. I don't like Justin Timberlake, but I didn't come to see music. I came to watch a football game and that's what I did.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

I’m upset that no one recognized any of my hot takes.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

tinnitus photography wrote:I’m upset that no one recognized any of my hot takes.
They all seemed pretty reasonable to me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:I’m upset that no one recognized any of my hot takes.
You're gonna have to be a little more controversial if you want to stir the pot. Nothing there to disagree w/ and I especially agree w/ #5, the flip side of which is that the defense lost the game.

As to #1, Belicheck will be Belicheck so we'll probably never learn the real story but that just ain't right. Just as the NFL insists that clubs play the injury report straight up (although the Pats and others push that to the line) this kind of thing should be addressed seriously and for real. If you want fans to take the game seriously you have to treat them w/ more respect than this. It's not the kind of thing that results in mass defections but it does add to the general level of grumbling and dissatisfaction.

#4 - FWIW yes i got it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Re Malcolm Butler, rumors are surfacing about weed and curfew.
https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/02/m ... r-all.html

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Who are their fans? How does one gain sight of who they are?[/quote]

go to a game. majority are middle aged working people. listen to the music at the games, its almost all classic rock with a bit of hip hop thrown in. you go to the stadium & odds are you are going to hear ozzy, ac/dc, g n r, metallica in some combination. here in seattle, we get some pearl jam, nirvana, soundgarden, alice in chains thrown in. they are going for the mass market consumers at super bowl who aren't necessarily the same people who watch the league all year. its all a big salute to capitalism. as far as justin timberlake's many cheap pops (hey minneapolis!) go, i would be shocked if 20% of the tickets went to local people. most of the super bowl tickets go to the corporate sponsors. all a part of the mass brainwashing that has been going on with the marriage of corporations & government. i could go on....[/quote]
I don't dispute that middle-aged, working people make up part of the NFL's fan base. However, I think it's much larger and more representative than that. If you are trying to grow the game, like the NFL is and should, shouldn't you explore marketing opportunities that might be outside the hardcore base? Speaking personally, I love the sport and could care less who the halftime act is, what music is played during breaks in the action, which players do or do not take a knee, etc. For others, I suppose that stuff matters. However, you'd be hard-pressed to call those people hardcore fans. If you love the sport/game, all the peripheral stuff shouldn't matter much. I don't see it as the NFL losing sight of who their fans are. I think they have a good handle on that. It's more a matter of the league trying to expand that fan base as much as possible. As long as it doesn't affect the actual product on the field, I have no issue with it. I don't like Justin Timberlake, but I didn't come to see music. I came to watch a football game and that's what I did.[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-xI1384Ry4

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:it was a fantastic run, New England! now the empire will start to crumble.
As long as Bill, Tom and Robert/Jonathan can get back on the same page this off-season, and the core members can stay healthy, I think they have one more legitimate shot next year. After that, I think it will fall apart rather dramatically.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

You figure Dion Lewis will get $$$ somewhere else. White’s good but not as shifty a runner. Hightower returning will be nice same with Julian. But their D needs some real work, and you gotta figure Butler can’t get out of NE fast enough. Is it time to look for a new kicker too?

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:You figure Dion Lewis will get $$$ somewhere else. White’s good but not as shifty a runner. Hightower returning will be nice same with Julian. But their D needs some real work, and you gotta figure Butler can’t get out of NE fast enough. Is it time to look for a new kicker too?
They'll find another Dion Lewis-type player. You get Edelman & Hightower back - two big boosts. The D needs to be tweaked a bit. I am good with Gostkowski. While no Adam Vinatieri (in his prime), I think he is a very good kicker.

The Patriots have and will continue to have their flaws, but I think they are an upper-tier squad and will be in the mix again next season.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

IMO, the Patriots ability to win a Super Bowl is going to be contingent on Tom Brady's longevity. He might get another year or two, but eventually Father Time wins. As long as he's at the level he was this year, they'll be in the mix.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Still talking about the Patriots?

New sheriff in town y'all

:D

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:Still talking about the Patriots?

New sheriff in town y'all

:D
If they keep these pieces in place, no doubt. As good as Foles was, this team was on another level with Wentz.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Josh McDaniels flips the double birds at the Colts, stays in New England
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:Josh McDaniels flips the double birds at the Colts, stays in New England
Indy should take a long look at Frank Reich.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Iowan wrote:IMO, the Patriots ability to win a Super Bowl is going to be contingent on Tom Brady's longevity. He might get another year or two, but eventually Father Time wins. As long as he's at the level he was this year, they'll be in the mix.
Vegas agrees and the Pats are currently "the favorites" (at about 5-1) to win next year. Then, as you would have guessed, Philly, Green Bay, Pitt, Minn., etc. Somehow my Lions are way back in the pack. Doesn't Vegas know that we just hired the guy whose defense was torched in the SB to be our new head coach? That pretty much sums us 50 years of Lions history right there.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

will Philly still be standing later today? i hear that there is free beer to be had along the parade route. somehow this doesn't seem like a great idea.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

chuckrh wrote:will Philly still be standing later today? i hear that there is free beer to be had along the parade route. somehow this doesn't seem like a great idea.

We lease warehouse space in Philly and one of my large customers wanted to take several truckloads of ware starting today but the truckers are refusing to enter the city until tomorrow. :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:will Philly still be standing later today? i hear that there is free beer to be had along the parade route. somehow this doesn't seem like a great idea.
In the thick of it on South Broad Street. Parade should be passing by soon. Sidewalks and streets are packed. Love is in the air (and lots of weed). Nothing but happy and peaceful peeps. Nobody is climbing poles, nobody is smashing shit and nobody is eating horse turds. Philly rules.