NFL 2017

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: NFL 2017

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

One of those hits that’s legitimately tough to watch. Flacco didn’t look too good on the way to the sideline.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

This is a last minute long shot. If anybody here is a Seahawk fan near Seattle I have 2 tickets for the Houston game on Sunday that I need to sell. I've got pneumonia & it would be a stupid move to go much like the stupid move last weekend of going to Vegas when I wasn't over it. I was improving but the airplane air got me. 2 days into trip I was deathly ill again. Excellent tickets, 100 level, corner of end zone. Pricey (paid face value but still spendy) but I'd take a loss on them. Just don't want to waste them or take a total loss. Doctor bills. Shoot me a PM if interested.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

how about them Seahawks!?!?!?! what a great game. my instincts were good when i picked it. sadly, my body wasn't cooperating.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:how about them Seahawks!?!?!?! what a great game. my instincts were good when i picked it. sadly, my body wasn't cooperating.
How are you feeling?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
chuckrh wrote:how about them Seahawks!?!?!?! what a great game. my instincts were good when i picked it. sadly, my body wasn't cooperating.
How are you feeling?

think/hope i'm on the mend from the pneumonia finally. i have to be rid of it soon as i'm scheduled for next round of chemo mid November/early December. they won't do it if i still have it. all it really does is slow down the progression of the RA but i'm hurting. works for about 3 months but insurance only allows every 4 months. i'm in that bad month right now. throw in some newish issues with my spine caused by the RA (not common but i have a rare version) pretty much in a world of hurt. there's talk of potential spine surgery early next year. i'd rather not but don't have a choice. i've been fighting this a long time & operated at a high level but is looking the piper wants to be paid. contemplating retiring on disability. luckily for now i'm covered by the family medical leave act. bulletproof at work as long as i keep up the paperwork. rheumatoid arthritis is an insiduous disease. its not cancer but not far from it. it doesn't get the press. its more (in some variations) of long term water boarding type thing. i've written this before but i was hoping that when glen frey died from it that there would be more awareness raised. sadly, glen's demise got overshadowed by david bowie passing the same week. there's a good book out there called "you don't look sick" that says a lot. i'm hanging in best i can but i can't get away with stuff like going to NFL games anymore. i bought the tickets last april & things have gotten worse since then. they are just too expensive now to gamble like that. i bought at face value but only was able to recoup about half what i paid. it stung, not to mention was a great game. i'm still going to do music when i can but have to be more selective. it's not easy even going to a club or theater. also have to keep in mind about the immune system issues. i get a cold now it tends to go to pneumonia if i'm not lucky. i'm staying in bed today & hope to be back at work tomorrow. thank you for asking bubba. really appreciate it. let's hope for another SEA/NE game in february. i have a feeling it would be a doozy!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Damn, chuck, that sounds awful. Wishing you the best of course and hopefully the chemo will help when you can get it. My current thinking on the subject is down to one word: Opiods. Fuck long term consequences and legalities if it helps in the here and now. It's a very personal decision, but fwiw, that's one man's opinion.

It doesn't help w/ tickets per se, but to the extent you make any longer term recreational plans involving travel, I recommend buying the travel insurance. It seems ridiculously expensive and on an actuarial basis I suspect it is (i.e. it's overpriced) but if you need to use it once it more than pays for itself in dollars and peace of mind. That's the voice of experience speaking.

Too bad the 'hawks and Pats can only meet in the super bowl. It's turned into quite the rivalry but I have limited expectations for this year's edition of the Pats. Here's hoping though! Sorry I missed yesterday's game - sounds like one of the year's best. As I said earlier, I think Watson is the real deal.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Damn, chuck, that sounds awful. Wishing you the best of course
x2 Chuck. Wishing you the best all the way from Phila., PA.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Damn, chuck, that sounds awful. Wishing you the best of course
thanks to you both. btw i've got the keys to the kingdom on the o question. to the point where i'd have to be in a supervised situation to stop. what they tend to do is mask pain some. i'm very careful about stuff like driving, definitely don't take them & hop behind the wheel. i'm always asked if i want to up the dosage & usually refuse until things get to the point that i can't stand it anymore. i need to function in real life & its a thin line.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Clams wrote:
thanks to you both. btw i've got the keys to the kingdom on the o question. to the point where i'd have to be in a supervised situation to stop. what they tend to do is mask pain some. i'm very careful about stuff like driving, definitely don't take them & hop behind the wheel. i'm always asked if i want to up the dosage & usually refuse until things get to the point that i can't stand it anymore. i need to function in real life & its a thin line.
Roger that. The point is that there is no glory in simply "sucking it up" or proving that you have a high pain tolerance. There is much glory in trying to live your life the best you can and using whatever helps you do that (and in being responsible enough to not hurt anyone else along the way, e.g. driving while impaired).

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cold & ugly in seattle today. think the hawks will handle the dc team handily regardless. don't like having earl thomas out though!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As much as I say that the NFL means less to me than ever before, I still find that bye weeks really suck.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:As much as I say that the NFL means less to me than ever before, I still find that bye weeks really suck.
it does make for a nice sunday. the tradition is to do laundry, eat crappy & watch football. & nap when seahawks not on.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

although there were a lot of issues with the hawks yesterday, must say kickers are the scum of the earth

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

although there were a lot of issues with the hawks yesterday, must say kickers are the scum of the earth

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Maybe it wasn't Andy Reid's fault: The Eagles clock management problems at the end of last nite's first half was reminiscent of the Reid/McNab days (including the super bowl). So maybe it's a team thing not a coach thing. In any case, weird and very surprising for a top team.

Eric Lee comes off the Bills' practice squad, joins the Patriots and has an absolutely monster game against the Bills. A one week wonder or another Belichek find? Time will tell. Meanwhile, it turns out that Stephon Gilmore can indeed play. It apparently just took him a while to learn the Pats defense 'cause he's been playing very well the past few weeks. The Pats' offensive line continues to be a big worry/problem. Hopefully they can at least get the guys they intended to play back in there 'cause even they weren't that great and what they have now is unlikely to be adequate in the playoffs.

FIFTEEN straight 10+ win seasons for the Pats. That's just extraordinary. Boy are New England fans spoiled and boy is the inevitable fall going to be painful.

Speaking of Patriot linebackers, whatever happened to Jaime Collins? He's buried w/ the Browns but is he at least playing well?

Gronk's hit was absurd. As he confirmed after the game, he was livid about a non pass interference call on the same play and a day full of the usual grief from the officials, but still there's just no excuse for that. Hopefully his suspension will be short.

Steelers - Pats looking like an actual real big game in 2 wks. And this week's Saints - Falcons matchup could be the one decent game on the thursday nite schedule (tho Pats-Chiefs opener should have been a good game).

What's the big deal about Eli Manning in NY? Is it just the old fallback, "the way it was handled" or is there a case to be made that Manning is still a starting QB? And what was so terrible about the way it was handled? I didn't catch up to the controversy until a few days later so I didn't see the original stories of what happened.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Hawks game last night was a good one. Russell Wilson has put the team on his shoulders. He's kind of irritating sometimes but he does deliver. Overlooked in the talk today is the young guys they have had to play on defense have delivered big time. I hope they find a way to keep Sheldon Richardson. That guy is quietly having a monster year. Evidence: the strip into the end zone last night. Ya, there was a missed call on the RW lateral last night but on the other hand there was a missed call with a Hawk receiver getting face masked near the goal line. It evens out. I feel good about us vs Jacksonville next weekend. The Rams game here in 2 weeks is going to be epic!

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:Hawks game last night was a good one. Russell Wilson has put the team on his shoulders. He's kind of irritating sometimes but he does deliver. Overlooked in the talk today is the young guys they have had to play on defense have delivered big time. I hope they find a way to keep Sheldon Richardson. That guy is quietly having a monster year. Evidence: the strip into the end zone last night. Ya, there was a missed call on the RW lateral last night but on the other hand there was a missed call with a Hawk receiver getting face masked near the goal line. It evens out. I feel good about us vs Jacksonville next weekend. The Rams game here in 2 weeks is going to be epic!
Yep, your Hawks definitely got the best of my Eagles last night. Wilson played a tremendous game and so did your defense. Wentz misfired on some big plays, there were costly penalties, and the coaching staff really needs to review which officials' calls should be reviewed and which should not. On to L.A.!!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

beantownbubba wrote:Maybe it wasn't Andy Reid's fault: The Eagles clock management problems at the end of last nite's first half was reminiscent of the Reid/McNab days (including the super bowl). So maybe it's a team thing not a coach thing. In any case, weird and very surprising for a top team.

Didn't see last night's game (I have to get up @ 2:20 for work now & just can't hang w/the big dogs anymore). It boggles my mind how often these professionals botch the clock. It reminded me of the worst clock management coach, the recently hired Herm Edwards. Are the college coaching ranks so thin that ASU would take a flyer on Herm? He's 16 times better as a talking head than he was a coach & I don't think much of that effort either. Geez.
beantownbubba wrote:What's the big deal about Eli Manning in NY? Is it just the old fallback, "the way it was handled" or is there a case to be made that Manning is still a starting QB? And what was so terrible about the way it was handled? I didn't catch up to the controversy until a few days later so I didn't see the original stories of what happened.
To me, it wasn't so much that they benched Eli. It was that they replaced him with Geno Smith. They have a 3rd Round QB that I could see giving a look-see to while they tank their way to a new QB, but not the bust from the cross-town rival. Coach & GM are gone today, not a direct result of the Eli benching, but a fitting end to that debacle. Eli will start again this Sunday.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:Eli will start again this Sunday.
From a franchise management point of view that's pretty fucked up. We in new england truly don't realize how good we have it.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

gronk is an asshole.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:gronk is an asshole.
That was a totally assholic move,no excuses. But from everything I hear he's considered to be one of the good guys. Doesn't mean it's true, of course. Do u have any inside info?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
That was a totally assholic move,no excuses. But from everything I hear he's considered to be one of the good guys. Doesn't mean it's true, of course. Do u have any inside info?
i saw his post-game press conference. he admitted to losing his cool. if you saw the play, he got pass interfered with three times on that play and there was no flag thrown.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

chuckrh wrote:Hawks game last night was a good one. Russell Wilson has put the team on his shoulders. He's kind of irritating sometimes but he does deliver. Overlooked in the talk today is the young guys they have had to play on defense have delivered big time. I hope they find a way to keep Sheldon Richardson. That guy is quietly having a monster year. Evidence: the strip into the end zone last night. Ya, there was a missed call on the RW lateral last night but on the other hand there was a missed call with a Hawk receiver getting face masked near the goal line. It evens out. I feel good about us vs Jacksonville next weekend. The Rams game here in 2 weeks is going to be epic!
I hope you guys come back to Minneapolis this winter. Revenge is in order.

Thanks for that Philly beat down, btw.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Hater.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Iowan wrote:
I hope you guys come back to Minneapolis this winter. Revenge is in order.

Thanks for that Philly beat down, btw.
You all have the wimpy dome now. I can just see it: Blair Walsh kicks game winning field goal with no time left on the clock. that would be hilarious. not that i'm wild about walsh. he has been how you say...sporadic. in the meantime, our old kicker haushka is kicking the lights out in buffalo. haushka did have a bad year last season & wanted more money than he was worth to stay. think the hawks will be fine as long as wilson stays upright. nobody is writing about the young guys on defense that have had to step up. they are doing more than fine. good to have a deep bench. now if we just had an o line. that is improving though with the addition of duane brown. him & joekel seem to be finding a rhythm. its not quite as dire as it was. wilson is a special player. btw: i do like the casey keenum story. another case of jeff fisher not recognizing or nurturing talent. i don't think anyone outside of a high school or low college is going to hire that guy as a head coach anymore.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Nobody has ever rode one Super Bowl loss further than Jeff Fisher.

Sterling Bigmouth

Speaking of Jeff Fisher, I think the Titans might easily be the worst 8-4 team I’ve ever seen.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Speaking of Jeff Fisher, I think the Titans might easily be the worst 8-4 team I’ve ever seen.
Mariota's numbers are laughably bad
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Sterling Bigmouth

Zip City wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Speaking of Jeff Fisher, I think the Titans might easily be the worst 8-4 team I’ve ever seen.
Mariota's numbers are laughably bad
Unfortunately, I’m afraid he might end up being a better version of Jake Locker. A decent QB, but nowhere near good enough to win a Super Bowl unless he’s got the ’85 Bears defense behind him.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Never before has a thrilling win in a huge game been so depressing. We'll miss you, Carson. :(