NFL 2017

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: NFL 2017

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
chuckrh wrote:while not an artistic display, the KC/TEN game turned out to be pretty good.
I don't watch football, mostly, but even I saw that insane play where the Tennessee quarterback caught his own deflected pass and ran it in for a touchdown. I think that play might've gotten the "Too Cool To Call" exemption (which should be a real thing)--are you all sure he wasn't past the line of scrimmage when he threw it?
As with a lot of NFL rules, I think technically the play was legal, though it seems like there’s no way it should’ve been. The way it was explained to me, basically if ANY body part is behind the line of scrimmage, the pass is legal.

Of course, as a Titans fan I’m not one to question the decision.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Eagles are 'dogs in their game against Atlanta next week
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:Eagles are 'dogs in their game against Atlanta next week
think they should be with Foles @ QB. Atlanta has been on the rise at the right time & definitely took care of the LAms. Eagles have a bright future but I don't think they are going to get past the Falcons this year. I really like Wentz & it's a pity he got hurt. Barring my Seahawks coming back from the dead, I think a Houston/Philly Super Bowl next year would be fantastic. Really like DeShaun Watson, too. I'm liking Minnesota/NE for the Super Bowl this year. & I hope the Vikings just destroy them & send the Patriots into a death spiral, haha. Sorry tinninitus & bubba. i actually think the party in the toxic triangle of NE i dislike least is Belichek. the man is a football genius even if i don't care for all of his methods.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Zip City wrote:Eagles are 'dogs in their game against Atlanta next week
think they should be with Foles @ QB. Atlanta has been on the rise at the right time & definitely took care of the LAms. Eagles have a bright future but I don't think they are going to get past the Falcons this year. I really like Wentz & it's a pity he got hurt. Barring my Seahawks coming back from the dead, I think a Houston/Philly Super Bowl next year would be fantastic. Really like DeShaun Watson, too. I'm liking Minnesota/NE for the Super Bowl this year. & I hope the Vikings just destroy them & send the Patriots into a death spiral, haha. Sorry tinninitus & bubba. i actually think the party in the toxic triangle of NE i dislike least is Belichek. the man is a football genius even if i don't care for all of his methods.
The beauty of Belichek is that at least from my distance, it appears that he is exactly who he seems to be. All football all the time, true to his own conception of how the game should be played and about as dedicated to emotionless merit based decision making as it is possible for a human being to be. In this context, his love for Bon Jovi cannot be held against him.

Sean Peyton is one lucky dude. I have no clue why he went for it on 4th down at midfield w/ close to a full 2 yards to go. Obviously if they made it NO wins the game, but if they punt they are 99.9% likely to win the game, while if they don't convert the 4th down, the chances of the Panthers winning had to have been something like 50/50. The Panthers helped by intercepting rather than knocking down the 4th down pass, losing about 15 yards in the process and then being penalized w/ TWO 10 second run offs as they tried to score. I don't understand why so many QB's don't understand the basic logic: If time is the primary (essentially the only) consideration and u have no time outs, a sack is the worst outcome. If the time is manageable (either because you have a time out(s), or because of the down & distance), intentional grounding is multiple times worse than a sack.

In light of my comment of the other day about how bad teams beat themselves, it was most interesting to turn on the bills/jags game w/ about 3 minutes to go in the first half to see buffalo in the middle of an impressive march down the field. Unfortunately I also got to see them turn an almost sure 7 points into 1 point as they had to settle for field goal after some miserable play while leaving Jax enough time to kick a field goal as well. The sack that ended the Jags' chance to score a touchdown/forced them to kick a field goal was partial redemption, but only partial.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

NFC Championship Revenge Tour starts Sunday. Hope Payton and the Saints get their comeuppance for Bountygate. Then I hope the Dirty Birds win and revenge for '99 can be exacted.

phungi

Post by phungi »

An abandoned grill has become symbol of Chiefs playoff failure...

We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
The beauty of Belichek is that at least from my distance, it appears that he is exactly who he seems to be. All football all the time, true to his own conception of how the game should be played and about as dedicated to emotionless merit based decision making as it is possible for a human being to be. In this context, his love for Bon Jovi cannot be held against him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

sunday was awesome & sort of restored my faith in the game. think NE may have a game on their hands against the Jags. that D is ferocious. they play dirty though. i still don't trust Bortles but if the Jags get ahead, it's going to be tough. the MINN/NO game was 1 of the best i've ever seen. so fun! amazing finish. here's 1 of the greatest post game interviews ever:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22100777

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:sunday was awesome & sort of restored my faith in the game. think NE may have a game on their hands against the Jags. that D is ferocious. they play dirty though. i still don't trust Bortles but if the Jags get ahead, it's going to be tough. the MINN/NO game was 1 of the best i've ever seen. so fun! amazing finish. here's 1 of the greatest post game interviews ever:

Interesting that you would site the Jags defense hours after they gave up 42 points

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm still in disbelief.

That's what happens to the Vikings. Not what the Vikings do to other teams.

See you Sunday, Philly.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:I'm still in disbelief.

See you Sunday, Philly.
I saw the end of that, or so I thought. Then that other thing happened. It was pretty amazing. I'd hate to be that poor safety who I don't think even touched the receiver.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:

See you Sunday, Philly.
I saw the end of that, or so I thought. Then that other thing happened. It was pretty amazing. I'd hate to be that poor safety who I don't think even touched the receiver.
Yeah, he will be entering the Witness Protection Program. :shock:

Clams

Post by Clams »

See you Sunday, Philly.
Those were obviously some great football games this weekend. Very happy to see the Eagles move onto the championship game. Also happy to see them - yet again - as home dogs. In a lot of ways the Eagles and Vikes are having parallel seasons – identical records, both have survived key injuries (to QB’s, RB’s and others), both are led by great defenses and both have under the radar head coaches who are having career seasons. I see both teams as very good but not without flaws. Hopefully the home field advantage and the Vikes playing outdoors in the cold and on grass will sway things in the Birds' favor.

Iowan, you up for a beer shipment wager?

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:

See you Sunday, Philly.
Those were obviously some great football games this weekend. Very happy to see the Eagles move onto the championship game. Also happy to see them - yet again - as home dogs. In a lot of ways the Eagles and Vikes are having parallel seasons – identical records, both have survived key injuries (to QB’s, RB’s and others), both are led by great defenses and both have under the radar head coaches who are having career seasons. I see both teams as very good but not without flaws. Hopefully the home field advantage and the Vikes playing outdoors in the cold and on grass will sway things in the Birds' favor.

Iowan, you up for a beer shipment wager?

Let's do it.

If Carson Wentz were healthy, I'd be expecting a loss. I still am, because Vikings, but I think Zimmer will absolutely terrorize Foles. However, Philly's defense is bad ass and absolutely capable of returning the favor to the Vikes. This is going to be a slobber knocker, old school 14-10 type of scrum.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote: This is going to be a slobber knocker, old school 14-10 type of scrum.
I hope so, because Foles will never be able to win a shootout type game. The lower the score, the better the Eagles chances. Looking forward to some of that Surly and Toppling Goliath goodness!!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote: This is going to be a slobber knocker, old school 14-10 type of scrum.
I hope so, because Foles will never be able to win a shootout type game. The lower the score, the better the Eagles chances. Looking forward to some of that Surly and Toppling Goliath goodness!!
I might try to get you a growler of Pulpit Rock, if things go pear-shaped. They're out-doing Toppling Goliath by a little and Surly by a lot lately.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
chuckrh wrote:sunday was awesome & sort of restored my faith in the game. think NE may have a game on their hands against the Jags. that D is ferocious. they play dirty though. i still don't trust Bortles but if the Jags get ahead, it's going to be tough. the MINN/NO game was 1 of the best i've ever seen. so fun! amazing finish. here's 1 of the greatest post game interviews ever:

Interesting that you would site the Jags defense hours after they gave up 42 points
look at the season though. i mean their qb is blake bortles! while i'm not a fan per se, i would luv to see them splat brady!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

chuckrh wrote:
Zip City wrote:

look at the season though. i mean their qb is blake bortles! while i'm not a fan per se, i would luv to see them splat brady!
There is very little question that the Jags and Vikings were the best defenses of the NFL this season in terms of being well rounded with playmakers. The script of that Steelers/Jags game likely dictated the 42 points which they gave up. I'd consider it to be somewhat of anomaly.
For the record, I've already played the Patriots -9 in this game, however if Myles Jack and Dante Fowler are able to keep Gronk in check the Jags have an outside shot of winning. This is also predicated on Fournette being healthy to saddle up and Blake Bortles not absolutely shitting the bed.

One take away I had from last weekend's games is that in the age of elite offenses, 3 of the 4 games matched elite offenses on paper against elite/really strong defenses on paper. In the case of the Vikings, Eagles, and Jaguars having a strong defense proved to trump the strength of their opponent's offense.

The Patriots obviously had the better offense, but they likely had the more trustworthy defense as well. There was no way they were going to lose that game.

tinnitus photography

hey Clams, the Vikes were my team when i was growing up... had a giant poster of Alan Page on my door.

you wanna double or nothing your FFL bet?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

tinnitus photography wrote:hey Clams, the Vikes were my team when i was growing up... had a giant poster of Alan Page on my door.

If the Vikes and Pats meet in the Super Bowl, you should bet yourself something.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Are the Patriots the greatest dynasty in the history of American professional sports? Given everything that exists to create parity in this era of the NFL, I would say yes. This graphic is a pretty stunning image.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:Image

Are the Patriots the greatest dynasty in the history of American professional sports? Given everything that exists to create parity in this era of the NFL, I would say yes. This graphic is a pretty stunning image.
No. They cheat. Belichick is an asshole. Tom Brady is a system QB. The league is weak/down. The other teams choked. We can't have it any other way, Iowan.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

tinnitus photography wrote:hey Clams, the Vikes were my team when i was growing up... had a giant poster of Alan Page on my door.

You're on, MF'er. :twisted:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:

No. They cheat. Belichick is an asshole. Tom Brady is a system QB. The league is weak/down. The other teams choked. We can't have it any other way, Iowan.
Do people really buy that as they say it?

I mean, the Patriots still win games when Brady goes down, but he's the difference between all those rings and first round playoff exits. Belichik's system can function and be above average without Brady, but he's the ingredient that gets it to win Super Bowls. The system could be somewhat successful without Brady, but it sure as shit isn't winning a truck load of Super Bowls without him.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

cortez the killer wrote: No. They cheat. Belichick is an asshole. Tom Brady is a system QB. The league is weak/down. The other teams choked. We can't have it any other way, Iowan.
# Jaguars vs Cheatas
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

tinnitus photography

Clams wrote:

You're on, MF'er. :twisted:

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Do people really buy that as they say it?

I mean, the Patriots still win games when Brady goes down, but he's the difference between all those rings and first round playoff exits. Belichik's system can function and be above average without Brady, but he's the ingredient that gets it to win Super Bowls. The system could be somewhat successful without Brady, but it sure as shit isn't winning a truck load of Super Bowls without him.
It's obviously not the prevailing opinion, but there are certainly people out there that do believe it. Just like there were people who made similar claims about Joe Montana and Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

There are, but I feel like the number is dwindling. I think Brady and Belichick’s accomplishments are now beyond reproach

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

You had ONE job, Jacksonville

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Fuck