If It's August It Must Be the PMC

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

If It's August It Must Be the PMC

Post by beantownbubba »

Yes, folks, August is right around the corner and the first weekend in August means the Pan Mass Challenge bike ride to raise money for the Jimmy Fund/Dana-Farber Cancer Institute to support research and treatment, primarily for children. Our team for the ride is called Bryan's Bikers in honor and memory of our son Bryan who died about 2 years ago after a 13-year off and on battle w/ Ewing's Sarcoma, a form of cancer that mostly attacks teens and young adults. Our annual letter is below. As always, your support in any amount is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Friends and Family:

It's summer and Bryan's Bikers rides again for the fifteenth straight year! Our wonderful riders are training hard for the Pan Mass Challenge bike ride from Wellesley to Bourne and for some on to Provincetown. They love the ride and the challenge but their reason for riding is to raise funds for the Jimmy Fund at Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

The PMC is the largest donor to the Jimmy Fund and every dollar raised by the PMC goes to Dana Farber Cancer Institute for cutting edge research and life-saving treatment and protocols that benefit children around the world. Bryan's Bikers rides in honor of so many who have been touched by cancer and particularly of our son and brother Bryan Bernfeld, who benefited from that research and those protocols and the dedicated professionals at the Jimmy Fund for 13 years, or half of his 26 years. That those cancer-burdened years were so well-lived and often so joyous and fulfilling was thanks to the Jimmy Fund and the contributions of people like you.

Each year since Bryan's death, this letter gets a little harder to write (can you tell how much we procrastinated this year?!) But at the very last carbo-load celebration he attended, just a few weeks before he died, Bryan spoke passionately to the team and supporters and asked us to continue to work on behalf of kids with cancer, particularly those who are not as lucky as he was. He knew, as we do, that he defied the odds for so long and was able to live such a fabulous life not only because of superb medical care and breakthroughs almost every year funded by the PMC, but because of the love and support from family, friends, neighbors and even relative strangers that surrounded him (and us). Not every kid can grow up on the Islington Peninsula, not every kid has the unwavering support of an army of friends and family, but the Jimmy Fund and its dedicated nurses, doctors, social workers, aides, custodians and volunteers provide something of that community for every child who walks through its doors. The research behind the care makes a good life more possible for those kids and, because of Dana-Farber’s breadth and reach, for children and adults around the world.

That's where you come in. We know you have many demands on your philanthropic dollars, but if you are able, please consider a donation to Bryan's Bikers for the PMC. Remember, One Hundred Percent of the money raised by the ride goes to research, clinical trials of the latest therapies and ever more successful treatment of all kinds of cancers.

It’s easy to contribute securely, online, to Bryan’s Bikers. Just go to pmc.org, insert "bryan's bikers" in the rider box and follow the prompts from there. Or, make checks payable to Pan-Mass Challenge and mail them to 63 Islington Rd, Newton, MA 02466.

Thank you so much for your support of Bryan’s Bikers, this year and every year.

Sincerely,
The Bernfelds – M.K, Jeff and Jeremy
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Re: If It's August It Must Be the PMC

Post by beantownbubba »

Flexibility. For 13 years people asked us how we managed w/ all the changes, ups, downs, reversals and surprises and our first answer was usually "you gotta be flexible. You have to realize that nothing is set in stone." Well, it turns out that flexibility is still important.

The carbo load pre ride party is this evening at our house, on our front lawn (I use that term loosely, it's the patch of dirt in front of our house). So of course this very day folks walking on the street smell gas and it turns out that there's a leak from the gas main (or whatever you call the main gas pipe into the neighborhood) in the street RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE. So we've got jackhammers, earth movers, asphalt breaker uppers and a big hole in the ground right outside. So the party is now moved to the open field across the street. About 30 yards in distance, but a damn pain to have to shlep every big and little thing connected to the party over there. BUT WAIT! The gas crew asks if we need a hand, they bring the earth mover thingy over, lower the bucket and we put all the big stuff in it so it can be driven across the street to the new location. Plus the rest of the crew helped move the stuff that couldn't go into the bucket. Gotta love it. A big thank you to the National Grid crew!!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:Flexibility. For 13 years people asked us how we managed w/ all the changes, ups, downs, reversals and surprises and our first answer was usually "you gotta be flexible. You have to realize that nothing is set in stone." Well, it turns out that flexibility is still important.

The carbo load pre ride party is this evening at our house, on our front lawn (I use that term loosely, it's the patch of dirt in front of our house). So of course this very day folks walking on the street smell gas and it turns out that there's a leak from the gas main (or whatever you call the main gas pipe into the neighborhood) in the street RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE. So we've got jackhammers, earth movers, asphalt breaker uppers and a big hole in the ground right outside. So the party is now moved to the open field across the street. About 30 yards in distance, but a damn pain to have to shlep every big and little thing connected to the party over there. BUT WAIT! The gas crew asks if we need a hand, they bring the earth mover thingy over, lower the bucket and we put all the big stuff in it so it can be driven across the street to the new location. Plus the rest of the crew helped move the stuff that couldn't go into the bucket. Gotta love it. A big thank you to the National Grid crew!!
Awesome
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Donation made. Good luck to Bryan's Bikers.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

phungi

Post by phungi »

Clams wrote:Donation made. Good luck to Bryan's Bikers.
Me too, happy to blame Clams for this...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thank you so much to Jonicont, Clams, Phungi and everyone else who contributed to this year's ride/fundraiser. If you've been meaning to contribute but haven't yet, there's still time :) Contributions in any amount are welcome.

This year's ride was the usual combo of exhilarating, exhausting and emotional. Every team rider finished what they committed to ride w/ only one minor accident. Brief rain on Saturday, absolutely perfect weather on Sunday. As described above, we had a little "excitement" w/ the carbo load dinner but it worked out great and most people thought it was one of the best pre-ride parties we've had.

We've raised well over $50K, a very good number but substantially less than last year. We had fewer riders, though, so the per rider average may even be a little higher, I haven't run those numbers yet and won't until the fundraising period is officially over. I hope we can hit $60K, but I'm not sure we can get there.

As some of you may remember, the end of the PMC 2 yrs ago was the beginning of Bryan's final illness so there are lots of memories and emotions present throughout the weekend. In some ways that makes things very hard, but in other ways, it's so good to have so many reminders of him throughout the course and the weekend.

If you've read any of my posts about the PMC, you know how much I respect the organization and administration of the ride. Well, this year I witnessed their first logistical screw up. It wasn't so terrible but it was totally shocking since since the ride and everything connected to it seems to run so smoothly & efficiently (which I'm sure is not true anyway but it does seem that way to us observers at the very surface level). They ran out of plates, then food at the family finish. Luckily it was pretty near the end, but still... :o :shock:

Again, thanks to everyone for your support!!!

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Bubba, I signed up for something called “The Spandex Sponsorship,” whereby, for a minimal donation, I am to be sent an autographed photo of you in your cycling gear. I have yet to receive this, but I suspect it is because a second print run became necessary. :D

Your strength, tenacity, kind-heartedness and open-mindedness never cease to amaze and inspire! Congratulations on another successful year! (And you’ve got to know I really mean it because I find these kinds of earnest displays super embarrassing.)
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PonyGirl wrote:Bubba, I signed up for something called “The Spandex Sponsorship,” whereby, for a minimal donation, I am to be sent an autographed photo of you in your cycling gear. I have yet to receive this, but I suspect it is because a second print run became necessary. :D

Your strength, tenacity, kind-heartedness and open-mindedness never cease to amaze and inspire! Congratulations on another successful year! (And you’ve got to know I really mean it because I find these kinds of earnest displays super embarrassing.)
It's a close contest as to who is more embarrassed: You about your earnest display or me at the thought of being caught in spandex. But if you ever want to blackmail me, that picture would be a good place to start.

Thank you for your kind words and your steadfast support of the Jimmy Fund, our team and me.

Clams

Post by Clams »

PonyGirl wrote: “The Spandex Sponsorship,” whereby, for a minimal donation, I am to be sent an autographed photo of you in your cycling gear.
Oh man :shock:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
PonyGirl wrote: “The Spandex Sponsorship,” whereby, for a minimal donation, I am to be sent an autographed photo of you in your cycling gear.
Oh man :shock:
If those pics ever get out I'm blaming you.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Drum roll please...

SIXTY-TWO THOUSAND TWENTY SEVEN DOLLARS AND TWENTY-FOUR CENTS. (I think it looks more impressive in words :) ) I don't know where the 24 cents comes from, lol. I don't have the exact number in front of me right now, but we're we'll over $800K total and starting to get the fantastical, unbelievable notion of one MILLION dollars in our thoughts and sights.

Thank you to everyone here who contributes to and supports this labor of love and determination. And remember, every single one of those dollars (and cents!) goes to treating patients and performing research into cures for various cancers.

See you again next summer.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:Drum roll please...

SIXTY-TWO THOUSAND TWENTY SEVEN DOLLARS AND TWENTY-FOUR CENTS. (I think it looks more impressive in words :) ) I don't know where the 24 cents comes from, lol. I don't have the exact number in front of me right now, but we're we'll over $800K total and starting to get the fantastical, unbelievable notion of one MILLION dollars in our thoughts and sights.

Thank you to everyone here who contributes to and supports this labor of love and determination. And remember, every single one of those dollars (and cents!) goes to treating patients and performing research into cures for various cancers.

See you again next summer.
Been meaning to ask this, since I have been a slack motherfucker: is is too late to donate? Been meaning to mail you a check along with that Bill James book for 6 weeks or more. Lemme know........... and sorry for the delay
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Been meaning to ask this, since I have been a slack motherfucker: is is too late to donate? Been meaning to mail you a check along with that Bill James book for 6 weeks or more. Lemme know........... and sorry for the delay
Never too late to donate but it will count for next year, not this one just ended. But that will not excuse you from making a timely contribution next summer :) ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Been meaning to ask this, since I have been a slack motherfucker: is is too late to donate? Been meaning to mail you a check along with that Bill James book for 6 weeks or more. Lemme know........... and sorry for the delay
Never too late to donate but it will count for next year, not this one just ended. But that will not excuse you from making a timely contribution next summer :) ;)
Cool, good to know, will get on it tout de suite
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

Come on WWCD, we all know the 24¢ is yours. :lol:

PS - way to go, Bubba!