Utah? Utah??!!!

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Utah? Utah??!!!

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh, the shame! The horror! The unspeakable embarrassment!

https://www.boston.com/news/food/2017/0 ... :BComToday
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

UTHeathen

Re: Utah? Utah??!!!

Post by UTHeathen »

Exactly, who could have thought that Utah could produce anything of value. John M. Browning sometimes known as the "father of modern firearms" was born in my hometown of Ogden. As was Brent Scowcroft, former National Security Advisor under George H.W. Bush. Philo T. Farnsworth, co-inventor of Television. Utahn. Oh yeah, and Hal Ashby, who directed Being There, Coming Home and Harold and Maude, another Ogdenite. John Warnock, founder of Adobe Systems Inc. (maybe you've heard of it), another Utahn. Gede Watanabe, the Japanese character actor who was made famous in movies such as Gung Ho, and Sixteen Candles was not only a student of my father's, but another born and raised Ogdenite. What about Utah Chef Viet Pham? He beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef. But, you're right. Utah is a fucking culinary backwater.

I know that you're not trying to bash Utah, at least I think I know that, but would you be less embarrassed if the award had gone to someone from Minnesota? Or Texas? Or Alabama?

If you want to be embarrassed, you should be embarrassed that your beloved Celtics just signed a no-heart, turn-over waiting to happen, gold-bricker for a 128 million dollars. Just wait until he misses 12 out of 13 last minute shots. The Horror! And oh yeah, where oh where did the Celtics General Manager and President of Basketball Operations play his college ball? The unspeakable embarrassment!

Oh , and one last Ogdenite currently making a splash. Check out Sammy Brue. He's 16 years old and taking the Americana world by storm. Yep, that was him on the cover of Justin Townes Earle's record "Single Mother's".

Catholic sex abuse scandal? Yeah, but losing a lobster roll contest to someone from Utah? Oh, the shame!

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... -brue.html

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

errrrr...not going to speak for Bubba (cause you know, the man can bloody well command the English language), but I think the point is that...ahh, Maine is like the lobster capital of the good ol US of A. In Commonwealth terms, it would be like some one from Saskatchewan winning a lobster roll competition in Nova Scotia. Perhaps an Italian winning the haggis competition in Glasgow. That said, I never have liked my lobster in a roll anyway.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

UTHeathen wrote:Exactly, who could have thought that Utah could produce anything of value. John M. Browning sometimes known as the "father of modern firearms" was born in my hometown of Ogden. As was Brent Scowcroft, former National Security Advisor under George H.W. Bush. Philo T. Farnsworth, co-inventor of Television. Utahn. Oh yeah, and Hal Ashby, who directed Being There, Coming Home and Harold and Maude, another Ogdenite. John Warnock, founder of Adobe Systems Inc. (maybe you've heard of it), another Utahn. Gede Watanabe, the Japanese character actor who was made famous in movies such as Gung Ho, and Sixteen Candles was not only a student of my father's, but another born and raised Ogdenite. What about Utah Chef Viet Pham? He beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef. But, you're right. Utah is a fucking culinary backwater.

I know that you're not trying to bash Utah, at least I think I know that, but would you be less embarrassed if the award had gone to someone from Minnesota? Or Texas? Or Alabama?

If you want to be embarrassed, you should be embarrassed that your beloved Celtics just signed a no-heart, turn-over waiting to happen, gold-bricker for a 128 million dollars. Just wait until he misses 12 out of 13 last minute shots. The Horror! And oh yeah, where oh where did the Celtics General Manager and President of Basketball Operations play his college ball? The unspeakable embarrassment!

Oh , and one last Ogdenite currently making a splash. Check out Sammy Brue. He's 16 years old and taking the Americana world by storm. Yep, that was him on the cover of Justin Townes Earle's record "Single Mother's".

Catholic sex abuse scandal? Yeah, but losing a lobster roll contest to someone from Utah? Oh, the shame!

I have to say you really took that to the next level.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

:lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

C'mon now. I don't see any Utah bashing in Bubba's post. This would be like someone from New Mexico winning a deep dish pizza contest or a Minnesotan winning a Po' Boy competition. It ain't right but has nothing to do with the winners and everything to do with the losers.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:C'mon now. I don't see any Utah bashing in Bubba's post. This would be like someone from New Mexico winning a deep dish pizza contest or a Minnesotan winning a Po' Boy competition. It ain't right but has nothing to do with the winners and everything to do with the losers.
Or someone from California winning a wine competition.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

UTHeathen wrote:Exactly, who could have thought that Utah could produce anything of value. John M. Browning sometimes known as the "father of modern firearms" was born in my hometown of Ogden. As was Brent Scowcroft, former National Security Advisor under George H.W. Bush. Philo T. Farnsworth, co-inventor of Television. Utahn. Oh yeah, and Hal Ashby, who directed Being There, Coming Home and Harold and Maude, another Ogdenite. John Warnock, founder of Adobe Systems Inc. (maybe you've heard of it), another Utahn. Gede Watanabe, the Japanese character actor who was made famous in movies such as Gung Ho, and Sixteen Candles was not only a student of my father's, but another born and raised Ogdenite. What about Utah Chef Viet Pham? He beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef. But, you're right. Utah is a fucking culinary backwater.

Whoa. :shock:

Tried a bunch of different responses but none really hit the mark so I'll settle for you misunderstood my post about as much as it could be misunderstood and far more than I could have ever imagined. As to your question, I would guess I would have had the same reaction had the winner come from, oh, about 40 or more of the 50 states I admit that a few might not have risen to the level of actually inspiring a post but Minnesota? Texas? Alabama? At least 30 others? You betcha.

If you're ever in New England, the beer and lobster are on me. By which I mean I will gladly treat you to a meal, not that I will cover myself w/ beer and lobster (well, not on purpose, anyway).

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

beantownbubba wrote:
If you're ever in New England, the beer and lobster are on me. By which I mean I will gladly treat you to a meal, not that I will cover myself w/ beer and lobster (well, not on purpose, anyway).
If you go with the latter please post pics.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

beantownbubba wrote:

Tried a bunch of different responses but none really hit the mark so I'll settle for you misunderstood my post about as much as it could be misunderstood and far more than I could have ever imagined. As to your question, I would guess I would have had the same reaction had the winner come from, oh, about 40 or more of the 50 states I admit that a few might not have risen to the level of actually inspiring a post but Minnesota? Texas? Alabama? At least 30 others? You betcha.

Thanks for the measured response BTB. My response was probably an overreaction. Wouldn't be the first time. Perhaps it was motivated by Utah's victim mentality and feelings of being misunderstood and underestimated. Perhaps it was motivated by the fact that many if not most Americans see Utah through the despicable words and actions of our elected officials in Washington. Perhaps it was motivated by the perceived notion that Utah is a cultural desert filled with backwards Mormon weirdo's with 12 wives (not entirely untrue, at least the Mormon weirdo's part). Perhaps it was partly because of the recent shameless defection of a player from the only team I am passionate about. Perhaps it was motivated by the pride I have for the inordinate contributions to our society and culture that have been made by my fellow Ogdenites and Utahns in general. Perhaps it was motivated by your long history of holier than though posts, statements denigrating my profession (Graphic Design), and your self-appointment as the grammar police.

Also, if the invitation still stands, I would love to take you up on your offer. Conversely, if you're ever in Salt Lake City, I will happily treat you to some of our fine local fare (but no green jello with shaved carrots). Besides, we will always have the GRBOTP (Greatest Rock Band on the Planet) in common.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I understand UT Heathen's sentiment, but I think Bubba's reaction would have been the same had Minnesota won.

Why?

Because there ain't no god damned lobster in that self-satisfied shit hole.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

UTHeathen wrote:Conversely, if you're ever in Salt Lake City, I will happily treat you to some of our fine local fare
Is he worthy?

fuck, how I could go for some mole right now

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
UTHeathen wrote:Conversely, if you're ever in Salt Lake City, I will happily treat you to some of our fine local fare
Is he worthy?

fuck, how I could go for some mole right now
You read my mind.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

UTHeathen wrote:Perhaps it was motivated by your long history of holier than though posts, statements denigrating my profession (Graphic Design), and your self-appointment as the grammar police.
Why would you want to have dinner with the person you describe?

OTOH, I got your acronym w/out the translation so perhaps there is hope for me yet.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I'm just happy the UT in UTHeathen has nothing to do with Tennessee!
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

This is about the irony of a landlocked state winning such a competition and what an embarrassment that must be for the coastal states which have so much easy access to the freshest, best lobster. It's not an observation on the failings of Utah. I for one have always wanted to visit Utah.

Don't have a complex. You almost sound Canadian... and nobody needs more of that than absolutely necessary.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

whatwouldcooleydo?

PonyGirl wrote:This is about the irony of a landlocked state winning such a competition and what an embarrassment that must be for the coastal states which have so much easy access to the freshest, best lobster.
Womansplaining? ;)

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:This is about the irony of a landlocked state winning such a competition and what an embarrassment that must be for the coastal states which have so much easy access to the freshest, best lobster.
Womansplaining? ;)
Female clarity.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

If someone from Massachusetts won "best pork tenderloin", I'd flip my tits, and it wouldn't have a damn thing to do with Massachusetts.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Iowan wrote:If someone from Massachusetts won "best pork tenderloin", I'd flip my tits, and it wouldn't have a damn thing to do with Massachusetts.

I can make a pretty mean pork tenderloin dish.

It involves roasted garlic, sage, rosemary, thyme and bacon.

And the pork, obv.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

UTHeathen wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Thanks for the measured response BTB. My response was probably an overreaction. Wouldn't be the first time. Perhaps it was motivated by Utah's victim mentality and feelings of being misunderstood and underestimated. Perhaps it was motivated by the fact that many if not most Americans see Utah through the despicable words and actions of our elected officials in Washington. Perhaps it was motivated by the perceived notion that Utah is a cultural desert filled with backwards Mormon weirdo's with 12 wives (not entirely untrue, at least the Mormon weirdo's part). Perhaps it was partly because of the recent shameless defection of a player from the only team I am passionate about. Perhaps it was motivated by the pride I have for the inordinate contributions to our society and culture that have been made by my fellow Ogdenites and Utahns in general. Perhaps it was motivated by your long history of holier than though posts, statements denigrating my profession (Graphic Design), and your self-appointment as the grammar police.

Also, if the invitation still stands, I would love to take you up on your offer. Conversely, if you're ever in Salt Lake City, I will happily treat you to some of our fine local fare (but no green jello with shaved carrots). Besides, we will always have the GRBOTP (Greatest Rock Band on the Planet) in common.
If I'm understanding this right, being from Utah is a little bit like being from the the south.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Iowan wrote:If someone from Massachusetts won "best pork tenderloin", I'd flip my tits, and it wouldn't have a damn thing to do with Massachusetts.

I can make a pretty mean pork tenderloin dish.

It involves roasted garlic, sage, rosemary, thyme and bacon.

And the pork, obv.
While that sounds amazing, it betrays my greater point.

When I say "pork tenderloin", I don't just mean the cut, I mean this: