WTF of the day.....

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: WTF of the day.....

Post by beantownbubba »

LuthierJustin wrote:The tax is on personal income over $250,000 a year, small businesses income goes through the owner, the income tax for the business is then through the owner, so say the company makes $300,000 a year, it doesn't take into account the money it take to run the business, the government just sees that the owner made 300,000 grand and is taxed thusly

First of all, you're assuming the business is not a C corporation. Likely, but not necessarily. Secondly, both income AND expenses "pass through" the business to the owner's personal tax return, so he reports $300,000 in revenues but he also reports, say, $150K in wages and other employee expenses, $25K in rent, $25K in raw materials, $25K in sales and marketing and $10K in "other". So his adjusted gross income is $65K, and that's what he pays tax on. Oh, and btw, chances are he's also running his car and various other expenses thru the company so unlike u and me, he's paying those kinds of expenses w/ pre tax dollars.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Did Mr. T pay tax on the sale of those action figures? Was he able to deduct the cost of the Santa outfit?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Nazi Elmo is tired of being held down by the mench
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I bet Elmo's creator is real happy. Should s/he have the right to prevent that slimeball from donning an Elmo costume (assuming the slimeball bought the costume legitimately in the first place)?

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

beantownbubba wrote:I bet Elmo's creator is real happy. Should s/he have the right to prevent that slimeball from donning an Elmo costume (assuming the slimeball bought the costume legitimately in the first place)?

I wonder if Nazi Elmo knows that the real Elmo is black?

Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Don't you just love irony? (That's rhetorical to you, beebs, you cranky SOB).

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

:D
Beebs is not a ragey man

kendix

Post by kendix »

beantownbubba wrote:I bet Elmo's creator is real happy. Should s/he have the right to prevent that slimeball from donning an Elmo costume (assuming the slimeball bought the costume legitimately in the first place)?

Interesting question of moral rights v. censorship.

Arguably, anti-Semite Elmo is engaging in political speech, which is one of our country's most protected forms of speech, regardless of how unpopular or fringe it is. I tend to be somewhat of an absolutist when it comes to free speech rights. I don't think I would want the government or the creators of Sesame Street to prevent anyone from making a point just because the speech is provocative and not held by the majority. On the other hand, Elmo and his creators might have a right not to have their views misrepresented. In First Amendment cases like this, I tend to think the best remedy is counter-speech. The "real" Elmo (through his creators) can produce their own youtube videos or hold a press conference calling this neo-Nazi Elmo a stupid asshole who has nothing to do with them.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Free speech is sancrosanct, free speech while wearing an Elmo costume (or any other licensed costume) is not.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

kendix

Post by kendix »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Free speech is sancrosanct, free speech while wearing an Elmo costume (or any other licensed costume) is not.

That's a slippery slope. What if you wanted to stage a public political protest over Disney's racist depictions in Fantasia? Should Disney be able to silence you if you decide to dress up like the characters to make your point? If you're satirizing American propaganda (such as "Der Fuhrer's Face"), should you not be able to dress up as Nazi Donald Duck to make your point?

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

kendix wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Free speech is sancrosanct, free speech while wearing an Elmo costume (or any other licensed costume) is not.

That's a slippery slope. What if you wanted to stage a public political protest over Disney's racist depictions in Fantasia? Should Disney be able to silence you if you decide to dress up like the characters to make your point? If you're satirizing American propaganda (such as "Der Fuhrer's Face"), should you not be able to dress up as Nazi Donald Duck to make your point?

LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Of course you're right kendix, to a point. Satire is protected in a performance up to a certain line. Without that protection Saturday Night Live would not exist. I don't think renting a licensed costume and going on an anti semetic rant has the same protections as it obviously isn't satire.

kendix

Post by kendix »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Of course you're right kendix, to a point. Satire is protected in a performance up to a certain line. Without that protection Saturday Night Live would not exist. I don't think renting a licensed costume and going on an anti semetic rant has the same protections as it obviously isn't satire.

But from a justice is blind perspective, how do you craft a system that makes it obvious without engaging in viewpoint discrimination?

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

kendix wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Of course you're right kendix, to a point. Satire is protected in a performance up to a certain line. Without that protection Saturday Night Live would not exist. I don't think renting a licensed costume and going on an anti semetic rant has the same protections as it obviously isn't satire.

But from a justice is blind perspective, how do you craft a system that makes it obvious without engaging in viewpoint discrimination?

Just leave it up to Scalia.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

kendix wrote:

I'm on my iPhone so can't easily post links but a quick Google search brings up a bunch of info and case law on parody and satire. It's pretty clear that the anti semetic Elmo does not fall under those protections. We do have about 417 lawyers on the board though so maybe one of them can answer better than I.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There are 3 possible reasons i can think of to wear the costume: To protect anonymity, to attract more listeners than would likely be attracted by the message alone and to appear less threatening when delivering a controversial message. A 4th might be to attract children specifically, but I'm just gonna assume that out.

Doesn't seem to me that any of those 3 justifications are protected by the First Amendment. The first one is antithetical to the purposes of the Amendment. The last 2 use somebody else's intellectual property for personal advantage. I'm not seeing a lot of First Amendment protection for this clown (not elmo, the guy hiding behind elmo).

Now if elmo himself wanted to spew that message, that might be different. But then we'd be in a dimension i haven't visited yet.

kendix

Post by kendix »

The point is not that Elmo's costume in this specific situation is necessary, although I don't know if the speaker's point had anything to do with public broadcasting or teaching messages to children through television or who he thinks "controls the media." I'm not a crazy anti-Semite, so it's hard for me to speculate. The point is that there are situations in which trademarked characters could be used to further a political point in other situations and we want to be careful when balancing IP v. free speech.

kendix

Post by kendix »

sactochris wrote:Just leave it up to Scalia.

Of all the Supreme Court jokes on twitter this afternoon, these two are by far my favorite:

Mobutu Sese Seko ‏@Mobute
Smiling John Roberts Affably Tattoos Opinion on String of Unemployed Men: 'They Aren't Human Anyway,' He Says Real Friendly-Like #Scotus

Bathtub Nightmare ‏@BathtubNitemare
@Mobute Dr. Scalia: Take two of these and call me in the morning. Patient opens hand to find Constitution printed on arsenic pills.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Fracking is THE issue in my county/region right now, since the Federal gov't has opened up 50,000 acres of protected National Forest Land up for fracking.

It's kinda funny to see the "drill Baby drill" crowd outraged when it's in their backyard. At any rate, I'm opposed as well.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Zappa's kids have better names Moon Unit, Dweezel, Ahmit, and Diva

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:

Fracking is THE issue in my county/region right now, since the Federal gov't has opened up 50,000 acres of protected National Forest Land up for fracking.

It's kinda funny to see the "drill Baby drill" crowd outraged when it's in their backyard. At any rate, I'm opposed as well.

I haven't seen any of my Rethuglican friends speak up about it, probably because they haven't been told how to feel about it by Fox or Rush Limbaugh yet. BTW, I know that doesn't go for everyone on the right but I know of a few people that can't seem to form their opinions. After the Amendment One fiasco in NC I thought we finally had something good happening in my state but due to Carney's blunder, it's another pockmark instead.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I haven't seen any of my Rethuglican friends speak up about it, probably because they haven't been told how to feel about it by Fox or Rush Limbaugh yet. BTW, I know that doesn't go for everyone on the right but I know of a few people that can't seem to form their opinions. After the Amendment One fiasco in NC I thought we finally had something good happening in my state but due to Carney's blunder, it's another pockmark instead.

It's interesting to me that most big-business interest-conservative causes that the Republican crowd around here(which is 99% of the population in places like this) supports on a broad ideological basis go up in arms when it's on a local level and in their face.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

It's interesting to me that most big-business interest-conservative causes that the Republican crowd around here(which is 99% of the population in places like this) supports on a broad ideological basis go up in arms when it's on a local level and in their face.

I honestly don't see how anyone in their right mind could be for it, especially if they've seen something like the Gasland documentary. I haven't seen it myself but it's what brought the whole issue of fracking to my attention.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I figured this was a joke. Wow... it's so crazy it might work, though.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »