Advice about Facebook sought

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Advice about Facebook sought

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So two of my friends got into it over the weekend over a post I made. One of them got his account suspended on account of using his stage name. It's put a real crimp in his ability to communicate about his band and a variety of other things. Aside from being pissed at my other friend, who hasn't quite flatly denied causing that to happen--and I would be really pissed off about this even if it were to prove coincidental, because it was not this friend who was most at fault--does anyone have any advice on how to help him out? I'm going through my mental rolodex and realizing I probably don't have a connection to anyone at Facebook who can make something happen, so I'll have to do this the straightforward way.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Re: Advice about Facebook sought

Post by Zip City »

I'm confused about what exactly is going on.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:I'm confused about what exactly is going on.
Here's the short version, then: Does anyone know how to help someone whose Facebook account has been shut down because he used his stage name rather than his driver's license name?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Here's the short version, then: Does anyone know how to help someone whose Facebook account has been shut down because he used his stage name rather than his driver's license name?
Ah, didn't know that that was even considered a violation of their terms. I don't know how one would appeal the suspension of an account. There must be a way, right?

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Ah, didn't know that that was even considered a violation of their terms. I don't know how one would appeal the suspension of an account. There must be a way, right?
Lots of ways! But I'm looking for one that'll work. My first impulse--yelling at the bastards--isn't likely to be helpful. ;-) Successfully appealing turns out to be a steep hill to climb.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote: I don't know how one would appeal the suspension of an account. There must be a way, right?
Looks like a question for Sactochris.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

good luck.

Cheetah Chrome now has to post under Facebook as Eugene O'Connor.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

LBRod wrote:
Zip City wrote: I don't know how one would appeal the suspension of an account. There must be a way, right?

They claim that they won't appeal a suspension.
Keep calm and have a cigar

John A Arkansawyer

So my friend submitted a variety of proofs of identity and they relented. His display name is now his stage name, with his real name underneath in parentheses. That's a good solution for him. Not a good solution for folks with a genuine need for pseudonymity. Facebook is not consistent or rational on this, except that they are consistently and rationally pursuing profit. Once you've peeked under that hood, a lot becomes understandable. Now I'm going to have to have further words with my other friend about it. The timing of this wasn't proof, but it was highly suggestive. But at least I'm not aiming at getting a complaint withdrawn now.
sactochris wrote:
LBRod wrote:
They claim that they won't appeal a suspension.
This was a full-blown cancellation, unless he proved his meatspace identity to their satisfaction. It's to their profit to let that be appealed. A suspension? Not so much.

This is an area of public policy which Trump can't really make much worse. It's not like the Democrats were going to take on Silicon Valley monopolies either.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I think it's about facebook trying to monetize accounts such as your friends, where the user is promoting a business, or artistic endeavor.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Non-snarkey question here: What is the big appeal to Facebook? I dont do it- a decision I feel better about every day- but I only hear people griping about it. I never hear anyone say anything about FB that is remotely positive. So what's the draw? A lot of people act like they have no choice in the matter. I have actually had people ask me how I survive as a non-FB user!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Non-snarkey question here: What is the big appeal to Facebook? I dont do it- a decision I feel better about every day- but I only hear people griping about it. I never hear anyone say anything about FB that is remotely positive. So what's the draw? A lot of people act like they have no choice in the matter. I have actually had people ask me how I survive as a non-FB user!
- Great way to stay connected with family, friends, and former colleagues (which for me, is a widespread network of theatre professionals whose hive-mind I can tap when I have questions or need advice)
- Get current news and updates from my favorite bands and recording artists
- Hear various takes on current events

The actual FB application is a little frustrating, but I find more good than bad with it

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Non-snarkey question here: What is the big appeal to Facebook? I dont do it- a decision I feel better about every day- but I only hear people griping about it. I never hear anyone say anything about FB that is remotely positive. So what's the draw? A lot of people act like they have no choice in the matter. I have actually had people ask me how I survive as a non-FB user!
- Great way to stay connected with family, friends, and former colleagues (which for me, is a widespread network of theatre professionals whose hive-mind I can tap when I have questions or need advice)
- Get current news and updates from my favorite bands and recording artists
- Hear various takes on current events

The actual FB application is a little frustrating, but I find more good than bad with it
Good points, but again, no snark: it's not as if Facebook is the only way to do those things. I am guessing FB makes all of that easier, but I still don't get those (no one here, at least not that I know of) who act as if FB is the ONLY choice for communicating. Might take a little more effort and might not be as immediate, but there are other ways. I can see an argument that FB is more efficient, no doubt about that
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

1 - it's funny as hell. i've got some extremely funny facebook friends who consistently make me laugh.
2 - it's a way to network for me, both w/ colleagues and musicians.
3 - far easier to keep in touch w/ people, esp those spread out among the globe.
4 - good source of information (not news, but mainly shows, records, etc)

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

It keeps you very connected with the goings on of artists you care about. Rather than having to visit all of the individual websites and boards that deal with what I'm interested in all I have to do is check my facebook feed.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

It's also a way to be nosey without having to directly interact with anybody.

I use it mostly for music purposes, though.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.