NHL Playoffs 2017

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

NHL Playoffs 2017

Post by Iowan »

Figured we should have a thread going.

I think there are some real intriguing first round match ups. Wild/Blues and Pens/Jackets should be awesome hockey to enjoy from a purely neutral stand point.

Love the shape the Hawks are in. The way younger guys like Panarin and Anisimov have come on this year bodes well for a deep playoff run, IMO. The Big 3 are playing as well as ever, and I'm over the love/hate thing for Crow. He is who he is, and that includes a couple of Cup rings. Darling played great this year too when called upon.

Some good story lines in the East as well. Is this the year the Caps break through? Will Columbus make a real run? How about the defending champs?

It's tough to beat the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

211poundsofpork

Re: NHL Playoffs 2017

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Thanks for starting things up, Iowan! I didn't start a thread for this season because I usually end up posting to myself or just plain listening to the sound of *crickets* here when I do. My Flyers didn't make it, so I I am all about Columbus- and when they get eliminated I am cheering on the Caps (it is overdue for this team to get their Cup). In the West, I am cheering on the Wild, then Nashville and then any Canadian team that is left. Loooooove the NHL playoffs!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

211poundsofpork wrote:Thanks for starting things up, Iowan! I didn't start a thread for this season because I usually end up posting to myself or just plain listening to the sound of *crickets* here when I do. My Flyers didn't make it, so I I am all about Columbus- and when they get eliminated I am cheering on the Caps (it is overdue for this team to get their Cup). In the West, I am cheering on the Wild, then Nashville and then any Canadian team that is left. Loooooove the NHL playoffs!
The only pro season I can follow much over the regular season is the NFL, simply because there are so many less games.

I stay up to date on the Hawks throughout the year, but don't watch many regular season games (winter is college basketball time for me), and I keep abreast of the overall league standings. Playoffs are where I really jump in. I love hockey, but only have time for so many mistresses. The NHL playoffs are the pinnacle of North American pro sports, IMO.

I'd prefer Minnesota beat St. Louis, simply because I think the Blackhawks match up better with the Wild. We certainly seem to have their number in the post season. Much like the Twins could never beat the Yankees in the playoffs when they were winning the AL Central regularly, the Wild can't shake the Hawks.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Screw you guys
GO BLUES!!!!!!!!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

4sooner wrote:Screw you guys
GO BLUES!!!!!!!!
Mine was a compliment! :lol:

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I love it when Montreal squares off against New York in the playoffs. My wife likes the Rangers, and I've always been a Habs fans.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm all about the CBJ, but their recent horrid play is making me nervous as all get out
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I'm all about the CBJ, but their recent horrid play is making me nervous as all get out
You may be a prophet.

Looks like the Minnesota sports curse might bite the Wild this year. Of course, the Blues are just fucking tough as nails.

I can barely focus today with my excitement for tonight.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Sharks stole one on the road last night
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Sharks stole one on the road last night
That was a textbook case of experience winning out over youth and excitement.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Sharks stole one on the road last night
That was a textbook case of experience winning out over youth and excitement.
Yep. Alas, said experience will likely only take them so far....

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'm all about the CBJ, but their recent horrid play is making me nervous as all get out
You may be a prophet.
They played an amazing first period (outshot the Pens 16-3) but it was 0-0. They then got sloppy and gave up 3 fairly quick goals and it was over.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

GO BLUES!!!!!!!!
Hell yeah !

Go Preds too. My loyalty is split.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Fuck that shit.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Rinne played lights out...that was the difference. I'm hoping goalie Bob does the same tonight Zip - we are all getting a little tired of the Pittsburgh thing.
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

blessedcurse wrote:Rinne played lights out...that was the difference. I'm hoping goalie Bob does the same tonight Zip - we are all getting a little tired of the Pittsburgh thing.
Yup. Chicago outshot Nashville 23 to 9 in the last 2 periods and had a lot of scoring chances. Really kinda similar to the Minnesota/StL game Wednesday night.

I don't think Rinne can stand on his head for 7 games, but he may not have to....

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Hopefully the Blues can get another 51 save performance from Jake Allen. Theyļl more than likely need it

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

blessedcurse wrote:Rinne played lights out...that was the difference. I'm hoping goalie Bob does the same tonight Zip - we are all getting a little tired of the Pittsburgh thing.
Yep. Bobrovsky was good on Wednesday, but he needs to be GREAT to win this series

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just nabbed a pair of tickets for Games of CBJ vs PIT :D

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Just nabbed a pair of tickets for Games of CBJ vs PIT :D
Nice!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

GO BLUES!!!!!!!!
Win the game then win a fight .

2-0 !!!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Fleury has about a .970 save percentage in the first two games. 2 goals in 75 shots for the CBJ.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Zip City wrote:Fleury has about a .970 save percentage in the first two games. 2 goals in 75 shots for the CBJ.
I know it may be a bit early too judge, but I thought this budding rivalry was ready for prime time...

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:Fuck that shit.
Can't imagine what you are thinking tonight. That got ugly....or beautiful from my perspective.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:
Iowan wrote:Fuck that shit.
Can't imagine what you are thinking tonight. That got ugly....or beautiful from my perspective.
I'm drinking.

Honestly, the last decade of Hawks hockey is better than I deserve. It's more success than all the other teams I root for will ever have combined. I feel like a douche getting mad about this bed wetting because we've had it so damn good.

But god damn it, that was sickening.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Blueshirts back in Manhattan for game 3 tonite....time to set the tone and rid the Canadians.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Jackets have no answer for the Crosby line. Add in that Bobrovsky has been playing like a backup and it's no surprise they're down 3-0

That said, yesterdays game was so much fun to attend. Overtime playoff hockey is something everyone should experience live

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Well, the universe is tired of Chicago. 2 fluke goals, one of which should have been waived off, and that's all she wrote.

On a side note, I think replay needs to go. In all sports, at all levels. Replay officials ignore plainly observable facts at a level that would make Republicans blush. If you're going to ignore the obvious, what's the point?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Weren't the Blackhawks supposed to be good?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Weren't the Blackhawks supposed to be good?
Yeah. This was like watching a 15 over 2 upset in slow motion.