R.I.P. Jerry Krause

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

R.I.P. Jerry Krause

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

R.I.P. Jerry. Thanks for the Championships.

This is a guy who I actually felt sorry for over the years. He won 6 Championships for the Bulls yet is loathed in that town because Michael Jordan didn't like him and that's sad as he's unquestionably the most successful GM in any sport in Chicago history (Theo Epstein might give him a run for his money eventually though).

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Re: R.I.P. Jerry Krause

Post by Cubfan06 »

I met Jerry at an early 90's Bulls-Celtics game that I was attending with my Dad. He was a really nice guy. His nickname among the fans was Crumbs due to his propensity for consistently eating at his seat. The subsequent eroding relationships with MJ, Phil, and Scottie had as much to do with Jerry Reinsdorf as it had to do with Jerry Krause. History has proven that Reinsdorf likes yes men and coming off of 6 championships and a rebuilding project, Krause took a brunt of the fall for Reinsdorf's frugal ways with Phil and some members of the dynasty teams. At least that is how I have viewed it years later.
Trading ROY Elton Brand for #2 overall developmental project Tyson Chandler (He got better as a defensive role player). Drafting Eddy Curry a pick later at #3. Drafting Marcus Fizer out of Iowa State. Drafting Jamal Crawford in the lottery (who actually turned out to be a really good 6th man, albeit not in a Bulls jersey) And hiring his fishing buddy, Tim Floyd to unsuccessfully coach the team. After years of success, those moves after the fallout of the dynasty helped sink him in the court of public opinion for many Bulls fans.

I thought this was a cool excerpt from ESPN.com today. He made some ballsy moves that worked.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1896 ... nasty-dies

"A Chicago native, Krause was both revered and reviled in his hometown.

After taking over as Bulls general manager in 1985, Krause was responsible for bringing together the pieces around Michael Jordan that led to six championships.

He hired Phil Jackson from the Continental Basketball as an assistant to coach Doug Collins and eventually fired Collins in favor of the unconventional Jackson. The move was questioned since Collins had led the Bulls to the Eastern Conference finals in 1988-89, losing to the eventual champion Detroit Pistons.

Jackson's maneuvering of superstar personalities, though, was later seen as a big part of the Bulls' sustained success.

Besides getting Jackson, Krause worked a 1987 draft day trade to get Scottie Pippen out of obscure Central Arkansas and drafted Horace Grant. The Grant selection made it possible to trade popular power forward Charles Oakley to the New York Knicks for center Bill Cartwright in 1988. With Jordan, those players formed the core of the first three Bulls titles in 1991-93.

After Jordan briefly retired in 1993 and then returned in 1995, the Bulls had more work to do. Krause signed guard Ron Harper and acquired Dennis Rodman to replace Grant, who had bolted in free agency. Krause had also drafted Toni Kukoc out of Croatia in 1990, before it was popular to select players from overseas. Kukoc became a key part of the second three-peat."

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I give him a ton of credit for building that dynasty.

I also give him full blame for burning it all down
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I give him a ton of credit for building that dynasty.

Nah, I blame Phil Jackson, Scottie Pippen and MJ.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I think his ego got the best of him and he thought he could trade everyone away and rebuild it again from scratch
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I think his ego got the best of him and he thought he could trade everyone away and rebuild it again from scratch
That came after they wanted to take his job. MJ demanded that Jackson be given total control and Reinsdorf said no.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Jordan is an egotistical jerk. Ever read "The Jordan Rules"? What a dickhead. Great, great player but a dickhead nonetheless. Then again great athletes and musicians aren't always the nicest of people.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:Jordan is an egotistical jerk. Ever read "The Jordan Rules"? What a dickhead. Great, great player but a dickhead nonetheless. Then again great athletes and musicians aren't always the nicest of people.
Yes, and that's what I was getting at. Jordan and Pippen were assholes and Jackson enabled them, making an enemy of Krause and forcing owner Jerry Reinsdorf to choose. Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault and buoyed by 6 championships stood with Krause rather than caving and giving all the power to Jackson. It was the wrong decision for the franchise but probably the right decision from a moral standpoint. Interestingly enough he made nearly the identical decision in a power struggle with the White Sox involving then GM Kenny Williams and then Manager Ozzie Guillen. In that case Williams was much less deserving of Reinsdorf's loyalty than Krause was but he considered them both like sons and had to make a call. In any case the Bulls thing was much more complicated than many believe and the amount of sycophants willing to side with Jordan was extraordinary.

* Interesting side note, Jordan was really to me personally early in his career when I managed a McDonald's near his house. Even pushed my car out of a snowy driveway once. Later in his career he was a narcissistic asshole. I suppose when you're that good it come with the territory to varying degrees.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

brett27295 wrote:Jordan is an egotistical jerk. Ever read "The Jordan Rules"? What a dickhead. Great, great player but a dickhead nonetheless.
Yes . Yes. A Thousand Times Yes.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Rocky wrote:
brett27295 wrote:Jordan is an egotistical jerk. Ever read "The Jordan Rules"? What a dickhead. Great, great player but a dickhead nonetheless.
Yes . Yes. A Thousand Times Yes.
People in Chapel Hill have known this forever. Particularly shitty how, after not appearing at a UNC home game in a long time, he shows up for this year's dook game in Chapel Hill only to pimp the football team wearing his clothing line starting next season. One of the greatest athletes ever, arguably the GOAT, but also a petty, chintzy, soulless human by a plethora of accounts. Ceiling is the roof ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing