ATHENS POTLUCK

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

ATHENS POTLUCK

Post by Jonicont »

ATHENS
POTLUCK
a “stream of consciousness” body of
work, focused on the widely-varied
music scene of Athens, Georgia

Hey folks. Our friend Jason Thrasher has put together an Indiegogo campaign to publish a book of a photo series he worked on a while ago. If you're friends with him on Facebook, you've probably seen some of these really cool pics. For those of you unfamiliar with Jason, he's been snapping away on the Athens music scene for 20 years and produced excellent DBT related shots and videos (the infamous black party comes to mind). Help him out with what you can.

Here's the Indiegogo link

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/athe ... usic-books#

From Jason
"For the past 20 years, I’ve been photographing bands and musicians in Athens, Georgia.

I’ve wanted to make a book about the Athens music scene for a while now, but I just couldn’t wrap my head around how to approach such a broad and complex subject. There are hundreds of bands who call Athens home—and there are so many different parts to our music scene—everything from punk to metal and rock n roll… bluegrass and old time music, pop, electronica, rap…

I also knew I didn’t want to do a typical music book that was just about live music or “bands.” What really interests me is the individual musicians and where they fit into the big picture. So many Athens musicians play in multiple bands or tour with one and record with another, and it’s all interconnected—those connections are what’s really interesting to me.

Finally, my wife Beth suggested the concept that would become Athens Potluck: I’d start by choosing one Athens musician, then ask them to choose the next person to be photographed, and the second person would choose the third, and so on. The organic nature of the project itself took me off the hook—with the musicians making the decisions, Athens Potluck became a self-propelling “stream of consciousness” body of work.

In total, I photographed 33 musicians just as diverse as their art. Visiting each in his or her own personal space, I captured them surrounded by their things, their families or pets, their instruments…and then took their questions for the next musician."

And the press release
Photographer Jason Thrasher selected the first musician for the series, Laura Carter of Elf Power and the Orange
Twin Collective, photographed her, and asked her five questions; Laura then chose and posed her questions to Will
Hart, of Olivia Tremor Control, who chose Julian Koster of Neutral Milk Hotel, and so on. Most recently, Michael Stipe of
R.E.M. interviewed Andy LeMaster of Now It’s Overhead and Bright Eyes. Jason photographed each musician at home
or in the studio, along with his or her questions, which have been written variously on vinyl records, album covers, on
books and in works of art, for the next artist. The series has veered from the E-6 Collective to rock, to traditional oldtime
music, to punk, to country and back to indie again, with musicians driving the project forward as they pass the
baton from one to the next. Athens Potluck is a glimpse into the richly diverse and oft secretive Athens music scene,
spawned decades ago by R.E.M., Pylon and the B-52s.
Athens Potluck will be released as a fine-art photography book in October 2017 by Deeds Publishing.
Thrasher has been working nationally as an artist and professional photographer based out of Athens for nearly
twenty years. His coverage of the Southeast’s music scene includes portraits and tour photography for hundreds of
musicians, and his iconic music photography has been published in Rolling Stone, SPIN, The New York Times, Paste
and Pitchfork. His fine art photography has been exhibited internationally in museums and galleries such as the ICA in
London, the Yerba Buena Arts Center in San Francisco, the Ogden Museum of Southern Art in New Orleans and the
Corcoran Gallery in Washington, DC.
Always go to the show