got a question for the 3DD'er community

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: got questions for the 3DD'er community

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Flea wrote:
Many people in my immediate & extended family tried to inculcate via their words and deeds a hatred for black folks. It backfired, though - now I'm extremely prejudiced against old white people. Fuck them!

(1) what Flea said
(2) Richard Petty
(3) anyone who puts sugar on grits
Unless they're included under "old white people" aren't you forgetting a certain institution located about 10 miles from Chapel Hill? (I hesitate to name the town much less the institution).
Nope, they weren't significant enough for hate when I was growing up (they weren't even as good as State or Wake back then), plus my folks didn't know enough about college hoops to care one way or another. They weren't consistently good enough to be a rival until i graduated from high school. I came about hating dook without any familial input
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Swamp

Re: got a question for the 3DD'er community

Post by Swamp »

Should it stay or should it go? (questions for)
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Swamp wrote:Should it stay or should it go? (questions for)
stay.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Swamp wrote:Growing up, what were yall taught to hate?
Republicans (I've tried getting over that)

Other than that, I don't know that I was explicitly taught to hate anything. I learned to hate the following:

Minnesota (the most comically self-satisfied state in the union; at least Texas is honest about their self infatuation)
The Jayhawks (the ones that wear blue and red and play shooty hoops in Lawrence, KS - not the Louris/Olson kind)
Roy Williams (see above)
Tom Osborne
Top 40 music
people who are unwilling to try something new

jr29

Post by jr29 »

The San Francisco Giants. It threw my young mind for a fucking loop when Willie McGee joined those pansies.

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Swamp wrote:Should it stay or should it go? (questions for)
stay.
X2
SQOTW is the new AOTW
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:

Other than that, I don't know that I was explicitly taught to hate anything. I learned to hate the following:

Minnesota (the most comically self-satisfied state in the union; at least Texas is honest about their self infatuation)
True, but Tuck Fexas anyway. The Longhorns were about all I really learned to hate; I taught myself to hate the Cowboys. And I don't know which way this cuts, but I always tease a certain friend from Iowa by talking about how much I love their native son Garrison Keillor and that show he does about their beautiful state.

Come to think of it, Dad didn't care much for Douglas MacArthur, and I guess I inherited that distaste myself.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Iowan wrote:

True, but Tuck Fexas anyway. The Longhorns were about all I really learned to hate; I taught myself to hate the Cowboys. And I don't know which way this cuts, but I always tease a certain friend from Iowa by talking about how much I love their native son Garrison Keillor and that show he does about their beautiful state.

Come to think of it, Dad didn't care much for Douglas MacArthur, and I guess I inherited that distaste myself.
I can respect the way Texans own their insularity, smugness, and arrogance.

Minnesotans play nice, but man, they think they're fucking best.

All that said, I like both Minnesota and Texas for differing reasons and to varying degrees and love a lot of their people. Sometimes, familiarity breeds contempt. Love/hate.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:Minnesotans play nice, but man, they think they're fucking best.
well, they ARE responsible for these fellas:

Son of Swamp

Post by Son of Swamp »

Sports teams included, after all hate is hate.
For me it was cats, marines and the french.
I now have 2 cats, some of my best freinds are/were marines
and the french..........well they're the french.
Rush, the band.
Segalegend.tumblr.com

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Beebs wrote:Just had some hearty laughs reading the exchange in question over in the Listening thread. Thanks fellas.
I was wondering from whence this came. Seems too obvious in retrospect. Anyway, thanks for doing the lifting.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:and just who are these "others" that KG keeps insisting tinnitus has tormented?
outside of politically-slanted back-and-forths between wolf and cole, i would think that zip has suffered some slings and arrows from my bilious quiver, but he seems to be fine w/ the banter.

that's kind of why i posted this... if i was inadvertently getting people really mad, i'd want to know about it!

anyone who knows me in real life knows that i am a snarky bastard, and ball-busting is part of my daily routine. so KG, apologies if you took it really personally (which it seems you did).
I actually really like Zip and even when it's me he's directing his sarcasm toward in the political thread I almost always get a kick out of it. I don't know if he means it as humor but to me Zip is a really funny dude.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Yankees. And Pepsi. Venomous snakes. Oh and the Florida Gators. I think that's it.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:
Yankees. And Pepsi. Venomous snakes. Oh and the Florida Gators. I think that's it.
Hating Pepsi:

that's so Georgia :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey Cole, check your messages

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Son of Swamp wrote:
Rush, the band.
I was gonna say you forgot fsu and ut but I think we learnt that
together. But yeah I just thought I'd pass on my musical expertise to my offspring.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

tinnitus photography wrote:anyone who knows me in real life knows that i am a snarky bastard, and ball-busting is part of my daily routine. so KG, apologies if you took it really personally (which it seems you did).
Apology accepted. Unless I know someone really well, I don't generally engage in ball busting and never have, so some sort of sudden shift in my behavior after 54 years isn't likely to occur. I never considered this comment to be meant as a joke as it was not presented as such so I'm not sure how anyone would expect me to interpret it that way as I am not capable of reading minds. My outlook tends to be, if you treat me with respect, I will also treat you with respect. If you are rude towards me, don't be surprised at my response. I don't think that's too much to ask, nor do I find it to be an unreasonable request. I am sure this will be cause for more to pile on, hurl insults, call me thin-skinned, butt hurt, etc. My suggestion is to save it. I seriously doubt that any attempt I make to explain myself is going to received as I expect it to. It hasn't happened before so I don't really expect to now. Oh, and for the record, I have a wicked ass sense of humor. Perhaps the only way that translates is in person. Maybe four people here actually know me outside of this board but hardly any of them post. Those folks actually know me and are keenly aware of who I am as a person.
beantownbubba wrote:PS: By the way Kudzu is right on Buffett. The only question is when's the cut-off date. A good chunk of his earlier stuff shows real talent and is an enjoyable listen.
I am not sure if I am right about anything as everyone has different tastes. As I'm sure I have posted countless times in the past, my experience with Buffett is that I was a fan long before there were anything called Parrotheads or there was an enterprise called Margaritaville, Inc. When I first heard him, it was within the context of fellow singer/songwriters like Steve Goodman, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willis Alan Ramsey, Michael Murphey, John Prine, Jesse Winchester, etc. Buffett himself was marketed by his label to be the next Jim Croce as Croce had just passed (they had also met but I'm not sure of the extent of their friendship beyond that). There are a few clips you can find on YouTube that are from a film put together by his label called Introducing Jimmy Buffett that include songs like "Come Monday" and "He Went To Paris". They were later included on a video compilation called Tales From Margaritavision but that was only released on VHS. For some reason, it has never been reissued. In this era, there was no "Cheeseburger In Paradise", "Fins" or any sort of novelty songs of that nature. Sure, there was stuff like "Why Don't We Get Drunk (And Screw)" and "God's Own Drunk" (which I realize isn't an original) but they showed more of a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. For those that only know Buffett from his "Mayor of Margaritaville" persona, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to look past that to a time when the focus was more on his songcraft. When Bob Dylan named him one of his favorite songwriters of all time several years ago, it was not without good reason. If anyone is capable of setting aside all that the Parrothead era has wrought, I believe there is some excellent songwriting and performances to be found on those records he cut for ABC/Dunhill in the early to mid-70's.
As for a cut-off point, I think the quality of his songwriting begins to lessen around the time of Son of A Son of A Sailor but that doesn't mean that record (or the ones that have followed) are poor efforts as a whole. That's just where I believe the quality starts to diminish. With the exception of his newest Christmas record (which is atrocious, at least what portions I have heard), I have purchased all of his studio albums (and at least a couple of the live ones) throughout his entire career. Like in his early days, when he covered the likes of Steve Goodman and Jesse Winchester, he has continued to cover folks from Guy Clark to Mary Gauthier and Will Kimbrough but for whatever reason, they seldom (if ever) carry the same sort of weight that his early covers did. There are also a couple albums Buffett cut for Barnaby Records before he and Jerry Jeff made that fateful trip to the Keys in the early 70's and he was signed to ABC/Dunhill. These two records have more of a folk / country-rock sort of flavor but are not quite in the same league as what was to come. I also enjoy the soundtrack he did for the movie Rancho Deluxe, recorded during an era when you were much more likely to hear pedal steel on his records than steel drums.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I am not sure if I am right about anything as everyone has different tastes. As I'm sure I have posted countless times in the past, my experience with Buffett is that I was a fan long before there were anything called Parrotheads or there was an enterprise called Margaritaville, Inc. When I first heard him, it was within the context of fellow singer/songwriters like Steve Goodman, Jerry Jeff Walker, Willis Alan Ramsey, Michael Murphey, John Prine, Jesse Winchester, etc. Buffett himself was marketed by his label to be the next Jim Croce as Croce had just passed (they had also met but I'm not sure of the extent of their friendship beyond that). There are a few clips you can find on YouTube that are from a film put together by his label called Introducing Jimmy Buffett that include songs like "Come Monday" and "He Went To Paris". They were later included on a video compilation called Tales From Margaritavision but that was only released on VHS. For some reason, it has never been reissued. In this era, there was no "Cheeseburger In Paradise", "Fins" or any sort of novelty songs of that nature. Sure, there was stuff like "Why Don't We Get Drunk (And Screw)" and "God's Own Drunk" (which I realize isn't an original) but they showed more of a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. For those that only know Buffett from his "Mayor of Margaritaville" persona, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to look past that to a time when the focus was more on his songcraft. When Bob Dylan named him one of his favorite songwriters of all time several years ago, it was not without good reason. If anyone is capable of setting aside all that the Parrothead era has wrought, I believe there is some excellent songwriting and performances to be found on those records he cut for ABC/Dunhill in the early to mid-70's.
As for a cut-off point, I think the quality of his songwriting begins to lessen around the time of Son of A Son of A Sailor but that doesn't mean that record (or the ones that have followed) are poor efforts as a whole. That's just where I believe the quality starts to diminish. With the exception of his newest Christmas record (which is atrocious, at least what portions I have heard), I have purchased all of his studio albums (and at least a couple of the live ones) throughout his entire career. Like in his early days, when he covered the likes of Steve Goodman and Jesse Winchester, he has continued to cover folks from Guy Clark to Mary Gauthier and Will Kimbrough but for whatever reason, they seldom (if ever) carry the same sort of weight that his early covers did. There are also a couple albums Buffett cut for Barnaby Records before he and Jerry Jeff made that fateful trip to the Keys in the early 70's and he was signed to ABC/Dunhill. These two records have more of a folk / country-rock sort of flavor but are not quite in the same league as what was to come. I also enjoy the soundtrack he did for the movie Rancho Deluxe, recorded during an era when you were much more likely to hear pedal steel on his records than steel drums.
I pretty much agree with all of that, but I would counter that his last GREAT! record was Coconut Telegraph.
Now it's dark.

njMark

Post by njMark »

beantownbubba wrote:The Yankees.
It would probably be overstating it a bit, but New Jersey sort of qualifies.
Nobody had to teach me to hate cats, I figured that out all by myself. Same w/ the Cowboys.
Nazis, both literal and figurative.

But mostly it was distrust/fear, not hate. Everything from authority to Arabs, including mostly everyone who wasn't just like me, at least to some extent.
Speaking as a Yankee fan from NJ, don't worry BTB, we hate you too. My mom was a church going lady so hate wasn't something we ever heard about from my parents. I've never understood hating the cowboys, they're from Texas and I don't take anything from Texas very seriously.

Flea

Post by Flea »

njMark wrote:
Speaking as a Yankee fan from NJ, don't worry BTB, we hate you too. My mom was a church going lady so hate wasn't something we ever heard about from my parents. I've never understood hating the cowboys, they're from Texas and I don't take anything from Texas very seriously.

There's no need to, Texans take themselves WAY too seriously.
Now it's dark.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Flea wrote:
njMark wrote:

There's no need to, Texans take themselves WAY too seriously.
Nothing exemplifies the Texas Complex better than this:

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Let the outside air in

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

njMark wrote:My mom was a church going lady so hate wasn't something we ever heard about from my parents.
This makes no sense to me. Must'v been Unitarians.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Flea wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I pretty much agree with all of that, but I would counter that his last GREAT! record was Coconut Telegraph.
In case you're interested, I replied to this in the Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band thread.