(somewhat) Legal questions for beantownbubba

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Swamp

(somewhat) Legal questions for beantownbubba

Post by Swamp »

1) When can I buy weed up there?
2) Are there any ethical questions about answering the 1st question?
3) Have you ever shot a jukebox?
4) And/or been invoved in a tea party?
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

dogstar

Re: (somewhat) Legal questions for beantownbubba

Post by dogstar »

Swamp wrote: 4) And/or been invoved in a tea party?
Damn you Colonials :evil:
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

1. Now. Oh, you mean legally. Same answer except that there are no licensed dealers, ummm, I mean retailers yet.

2.What's an ethical question?

3. I've spilled a shot on a jukebox.

4. Well, I've had high tea if that counts.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I truly enjoy these threads and appreciate Swamp's inquisitiveness but how long until we just consolidate and make a "Swamp is Curious" thread? :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote: 4. Well, I've had high tea if that counts.
Is that related to question 1 ?
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I truly enjoy these threads and appreciate Swamp's inquisitiveness but how long until we just consolidate and make a "Swamp is Curious" thread? :lol:
I enjoy the individual threads and eagerly await the opportunity for a Swamp questionnaire.

I've always wanted to be interviewed by Marc Maron, but I'm thinking Swamp would be way more fun. More dope, more Dickel, less whining about himself.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: 4. Well, I've had high tea if that counts.
Is that related to question 1 ?
Clever boy. ;) ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

legal question: let's say a person had speeding tickets in New York state in 1985 and 1987. Neither ticket has been paid? Is there a statute of limitations? If not, how should said person handle this? Asking for a friend.

and of course I realize you aren't in NY, just thinking you might have some general legal knowledge that could help
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:legal question: let's say a person had speeding tickets in New York state in 1985 and 1987. Neither ticket has been paid? Is there a statute of limitations? If not, how should said person handle this? Asking for a friend.

and of course I realize you aren't in NY, just thinking you might have some general legal knowledge that could help
Let me Google that for you 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

beantownbubba wrote:1. Now. Oh, you mean legally. Same answer except that there are no licensed dealers, ummm, I mean retailers yet.

2.What's an ethical question?

3. I've spilled a shot on a jukebox.

4. Well, I've had high tea if that counts.
1. Let me know when they' re ready
2. I don't know either but I thought you might
3. Not the answer I was hoping for but I like it
4. I get high and drink sweet tea

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Iowan wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I truly enjoy these threads and appreciate Swamp's inquisitiveness but how long until we just consolidate and make a "Swamp is Curious" thread? :lol:
I enjoy the individual threads and eagerly await the opportunity for a Swamp questionnaire.

I've always wanted to be interviewed by Marc Maron, but I'm thinking Swamp would be way more fun. More dope, more Dickel, less whining about himself.
It's kinda like artist of the week and you don't want to miss some of the titles I have lined up. Which reminds me, I have some questions for jonicont :lol: Also I was hoping others would be curious and chime in as they have.
Iowan, I actually have some for you but you're a couple of weeks away so brush up on your fun facts about Iowa.
Not that your question will actually be about Iowa.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I can't wait for questions for Kudzu

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bovine knievel wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:legal question: let's say a person had speeding tickets in New York state in 1985 and 1987. Neither ticket has been paid? Is there a statute of limitations? If not, how should said person handle this? Asking for a friend.

Let me Google that for you 8-)
Good instincts, BK, but in the typical case that won't get you to the right answer.

The way these things usually work is that the state is allowed to assume you pled guilty or otherwise waived your rights if you didn't pay the ticket or show up to challenge it and most have pretty much automated procedures to get you to the point where you're "convicted" well before the statute of limitations has run. So for example if you get a speeding ticket on day 1, don't pay it by day 30 and don't appeal it by day 45, shortly after that you will be held to be guilty and be penalized usually in an amount equal to the original fine, a penalty, maybe some interest and often having your licenses suspended in that state. Once all that's happened all youv'e got is a non-discharged offense (i.e. you did the crime but you haven't done the "time"), not an open case that can be challenged w/ a statute of limitations defense. In the modern era all this stuff usually gets resolved in no more than 4 or so years because most states have reciprocal arrangements and won't renew your license unless you clear up all offenses in other reciprocal jurisdictions.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
The way these things usually work is that the state is allowed to assume you pled guilty or otherwise waived your rights if you didn't pay the ticket or show up to challenge it and most have pretty much automated procedures to get you to the point where you're "convicted" well before the statute of limitations has run. So for example if you get a speeding ticket on day 1, don't pay it by day 30 and don't appeal it by day 45, shortly after that you will be held to be guilty and be penalized usually in an amount equal to the original fine, a penalty, maybe some interest and often having your licenses suspended in that state. Once all that's happened all youv'e got is a non-discharged offense (i.e. you did the crime but you haven't done the "time"), not an open case that can be challenged w/ a statute of limitations defense. In the modern era all this stuff usually gets resolved in no more than 4 or so years because most states have reciprocal arrangements and won't renew your license unless you clear up all offenses in other reciprocal jurisdictions.
So what would you recommend that my friend do about this?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Sounds like your friend will find out when the time comes to renew his/her license.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Swamp wrote:
Iowan wrote:

It's kinda like artist of the week and you don't want to miss some of the titles I have lined up. Which reminds me, I have some questions for jonicont :lol: Also I was hoping others would be curious and chime in as they have.
Iowan, I actually have some for you but you're a couple of weeks away so brush up on your fun facts about Iowa.
Not that your question will actually be about Iowa.
There are no fun facts. Just the brutal truth of a winter on the northern plains.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:There are no fun facts. Just the brutal truth of a winter on the northern plains.
If DBT were from Iowa or the Dakotas that would be a song lyric.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Pay up.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:There are no fun facts. Just the brutal truth of a winter on the northern plains.
And that's why DBT is from the South and The Jayhawks are from the north. Or maybe I have that backwards. Could be because, not why. Or something like that.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
And that's why DBT is from the South and The Jayhawks are from the north. Or maybe I have that backwards. Could be because, not why. Or something like that.
In my mind, McMurtry is the DBT of the plains.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Yeah, in my mind he's definitely the bard of middle America. Evan Felker and Dave Simonett are making their runs at it these days as well.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
It does sound a bit Pattersonian, now that you say it.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Was changing over my license here in NC. The woman at the teller next to me at the DMV (after going through the WHOLE process) was told--"there's a hold on your license in NJ"--"what for?"-- "I don't know, you need to call them"
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Swamp wrote:Which reminds me, I have some questions for jonicont :lol:
Not sure I'm worthy of the honor but I await with bated breath :lol:
Always go to the show

phungi

Post by phungi »

Jonicont wrote:
It seems all these other threads have merely been practice...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:Sounds like your friend will find out when the time comes to renew his/her license.
my friend has rewed his license numerous times in 3 different states in the 30 years since the last ticket and nothing has happened. So I guess he found out

It took him so long to find out, and he found out

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Jonicont wrote:
Does this look infected?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Jonicont wrote:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Pay up.
The state or the lawyer? ;-)
Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:If DBT were from Iowa or the Dakotas that would be a song lyric.
John A Arkansawyer wrote:And that's why DBT is from the South and The Jayhawks are from the north. Or maybe I have that backwards. Could be because, not why. Or something like that.
I don't love him, so maybe I don't know him that well, but he seems southwestern to me. He makes me think of east Texas and south Oklahoma, scrub and brush. The Jayhawks make me think of wide open empty spaces, winter wheat, and cold.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

I don't love him, so maybe I don't know him that well, but he seems southwestern to me. He makes me think of east Texas and south Oklahoma, scrub and brush. The Jayhawks make me think of wide open empty spaces, winter wheat, and cold.

He pretty much covers (with distinction) that middle swath of the country from Texas up to Montana.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck