College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

chuckrh wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:As miserable as today was, I like Tennessee’s draw and am excited for next weekend. Now onto my favorite March tradition: spending as much time at work as possible hiding and poring over brackets.
Our bracket is a motherfuckin’ gauntlet
:x
hope to see NC next Sunday. we can have some nice trash talking & banter! :D
you have to beat Utah State first ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:It seems like every year there are 2-3 schools that were crap most of the year and won their tournament. The teams on the 16 line are usually hovering around .500 (and sometimes even worse).
Let's say you are 100% right. Are 2-3 schools out of 64 (68) indicative of a system that is egregiously flawed to the point of needing an overhaul? I say "no"

When you get down to the 16 line, sometimes you'll see an entire league of teams hovering around .500. They are conferences that 16 seeds for a reason ;)
Yeah, I'm not advocating for a change to the system. I like conference tournaments. My conference has a really fun one that my alma mater has gotten good at winning.

I'm just saying I'd like to see the committee (especially in a year like this) give more bids to mid majors who won their regular season title and didn't get the auto bid. As opposed to putting in clearly mediocre P5 schools.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I'm just saying I'd like to see the committee (especially in a year like this) give more bids to mid majors who won their regular season title

:lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
Iowan wrote:It seems like every year there are 2-3 schools that were crap most of the year and won their tournament. The teams on the 16 line are usually hovering around .500 (and sometimes even worse).
Let's say you are 100% right. Are 2-3 schools out of 64 (68) indicative of a system that is egregiously flawed to the point of needing an overhaul? I say "no"

When you get down to the 16 line, sometimes you'll see an entire league of teams hovering around .500. They are conferences that 16 seeds for a reason ;)
Yeah, I'm not advocating for a change to the system. I like conference tournaments. My conference has a really fun one that my alma mater has gotten good at winning.

I'm just saying I'd like to see the committee (especially in a year like this) give more bids to mid majors who won their regular season title and didn't get the auto bid. As opposed to putting in clearly mediocre P5 schools.
Agree regarding the clearly mediocre P5 schools but I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for the committee to come around to our way of thinking

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

My biggest problem with the conference tournaments is that the SEC’s is cursed and I don’t think Tennessee could win it with 5 Zion Williamsons.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

not so fun fact: dook has cut down the nets the last two times the Final Four was in Minneapolis

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The committee didn’t give a bid to a 16-16 Texas team.

The OVC got two teams in the tournament for the first time since 1987.

Except for the committee giving better treatment to Michigan than Michigan State, I think complaining about the committee this year is complaining for its own sake.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

It seemed the committee did a better job this year than most, no big gripes here. One minor quibble is it seems Duke didn't get punished for losing without Zion, but UNC still got credit for beating them without him. I also didn't think it was fair to UNC to put Kansas as their #4 in Kansas City.

Iowan, I hope we both make it to the Sweet 16, that would be a fun matchup.

whatwouldcooleydo?

rlipps wrote:It seemed the committee did a better job this year than most, no big gripes here. One minor quibble is it seems Duke didn't get punished for losing without Zion, but UNC still got credit for beating them without him. I also didn't think it was fair to UNC to put Kansas as their #4 in Kansas City.

Yeah, the Kansas City thing stands out to me. Top seeds get rewarded geographically all the time, it’s happened for a long time and seems to be a reward from the committee. However, said geographic reward is typically in the first weekend of games. But a 4-seed potentially getting to play a Sweet 16 game less than 45 miles from home doesn’t seem right. Worldwide Bill disagrees with me on this. Could be moot point, as more than a few “experts” have Northeastern bearing KU in the first game, and if that doesn’t happen, a ton pick Auburn to beat them in the second game. Me? I’ll believe Kansas not making it to KC when I see it

Also, the tradition of setting up a UNC/Kentucky regional matchup lives on

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:It seemed the committee did a better job this year than most, no big gripes here. One minor quibble is it seems Duke didn't get punished for losing without Zion, but UNC still got credit for beating them without him. I also didn't think it was fair to UNC to put Kansas as their #4 in Kansas City.

I've predicted as much in my bracket, and I picked the Cats to win. Would be a wild atmosphere in KC. As far as I can remember, the 2012 round of 32 is the only time we've ever crossed paths.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:.... a ton pick Auburn to beat them in the second game.
At this point, I'm just hoping Auburn can avoid being this year's 12 - 5 upset.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:.... a ton pick Auburn to beat them in the second game.
At this point, I'm just hoping Auburn can avoid being this year's 12 - 5 upset.
I like Oregon as most likely 12 to win. Murray State is definitely the trendy pick of the 12s. Of the 4 12s, Liberty is the only one I give no shot.... which of course means they will win :roll:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Over the weekend noticed that both ESPN and CBS on their respective crawls referred to schools that had fired head coaches as "parting ways" instead of fired. There were so many coaches fired that there was a long list, and it was always said that the schools had "parted ways." I actually checked to see if it was a case of contracts not being renewed/mutual parting of ways, but nope, all these coaches were shitcanned. Don't recall seeing this en masse before and wondering if the NCAA asked/ordered them to not say "fired"

Speaking of this, just saw that St. Joe's "parted ways" with Phil Martelli after 34 years

whatwouldcooleydo?

Proper football great Zlatan Ibrahimović's bracket

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

FWIW: My winners in my 2 brackets are Gonzaga and NC. I picked the usual mix of straight chalk and upsets but tried to vary them between the 2 brackets so it's pretty much of a random mishmash. I find that works just as well (or not) as trying to seriously handicap the tournament. Yes, I know that speaks volumes about my handicapping ability.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Last night at the brewery saw a dude wearing an NC State cap. I told him I have the Pack going far in my NIT bracket :lol: :lol: :lol:

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

schlanky wrote:At this point, I'm just hoping Auburn can avoid being this year's 12 - 5 upset.
It was ugly, but I'll take it.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Last night at the brewery saw a dude wearing an NC State cap. I told him I have the Pack going far in my NIT bracket :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's cold, man.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:
schlanky wrote:At this point, I'm just hoping Auburn can avoid being this year's 12 - 5 upset.
It was ugly, but I'll take it.
The NMSU dude who didn't take the open layup there at the end is not gonna be sleeping much for a long, long time.

Plus, that last free throw was all the way down but then spun out

That was one exciting game. Usually surviving a close call like that all but guarantees winning the next game, so Auburn has that going for them...... which is nice

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Last night at the brewery saw a dude wearing an NC State cap. I told him I have the Pack going far in my NIT bracket :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's cold, man.
It's how I roll

I honestly think the dude respected me taking the shot, I know that I would expect- no, demand- him to do the same to me if things were reversed. We had a good laugh and then united with a hearty "fuck dook!"

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:It's how I roll
Yep: No static at all...
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:It's how I roll
Yep: No static at all...
you remember! :D

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

you remember! :D
Just doing my part, man. One of these days, the name is gonna stick.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I know 5th seed teams. I have watched 5th seed teams. I have rooted for 5th seed teams. Marquette is no fifth seed team. WTF?! They are one lousy, poorly coached basketball team. Feh. It's not like I had them going very far in the tournament anyway, their performance just offended my very sensitive sensibilities.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

I was 13 of 16 today, the winners I missed were Minnesota, Baylor, and Murray State

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

looks like Gonzaga woke up....

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I was 13 of 16 today, the winners I missed were Minnesota, Baylor, and Murray State
I got 13 as well, I missed Baylor, Minnesota & Maryland. My 9-year old son got 15, only missed Minnesota, so he talked trash to me all the way to school this morning.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I am usually so psyched for the tourney each year, but I just can't get excited for it this year. I tried watching some yesterday and got so bored so fast. I don't know why
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I am usually so psyched for the tourney each year, but I just can't get excited for it this year. I tried watching some yesterday and got so bored so fast. I don't know why
No huge upsets. The biggest upset was also a blow out.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:I am usually so psyched for the tourney each year, but I just can't get excited for it this year. I tried watching some yesterday and got so bored so fast. I don't know why
No huge upsets. The biggest upset was also a blow out.
Doesn't help that I have absolutely no dog in the fight
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever