College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Heels/VA Tech in about 40 minutes. Game is in Chapel Hill and Hokies are higher-ranked. Haven't seen more than a minute or two here and there of them so far this season, so I have no idea if they are as good as their ranking, but I do know that in the past they've been a pesky thorn in our side even when they were a bad team.

TL;DR- I am a bit nervous
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:Attention: Fuck Kansas
I am "fuck Kansas!" 24/7/365, but..... I wouldn't want to be you guys tonight. They are coming off a loss and go to Rupp Arena on Saturday to play a team that is currently in great form and should fully expect to give the Chickenhawks a thrashing, so they are gonna be close to desperate to beat you guys in Lawrence. I wish you well and will gladly (unlike The Fonz) say that I am wrong should the Cyclones win
I feel the same way. Good luck to your boys tonight! I’ll be tuning in

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Damn, WWCD. Safe to say they’ve kept up that 1st half intensity.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Image
Numero uno, baby
Congrats!!!

Is this the first time for the men’s team?
2nd time. Last time was in 2008 when I was in high school and Bruce Pearl seemed like the only coach I would ever see at UT for the rest of my life.
Iowan wrote:
So glad we don't play you in the SEC/Big 12 challenge this year.

Speaking of which, what do you think of that thing? I personally hate the timing of it, but love the guaranteed match up with another P5 league. If this went back to being a pre-conference play sort of thing, I'd like it better.
Personally, I HATE the timing of it, because it always seems like we catch teams at the worst possible time. Granted, this year is different because it looks like we’re getting Bob Huggins’ worst WVU team ever. Speaking of the Big 12, I just checked ESPN and was disappointed to see Iowa State lose the lead to Kansas. Really hoping someone can take them down this year.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Last night was disappointing, but I'm in no way surprised. I called a "cover but lose" scenario with my buddies (we were 5.5 point dogs). I just figured we'd get fucked over by the refs down the stretch, but instead we just pissed it away.

5 of the last 6 ISU squads have been in position to take the conference from KU at this juncture in the season and all promptly shat themselves. This team is no different. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us win the Big 12 tournament and make a Sweet 16 run, but KU is going to get their 15th straight regular season title.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Terps got their comeuppance with a slap down by the Spartans last night. Team still has a way to go to get to Sparty’s level. As I’m watching this game & realizing that I.hate Michigan State; I seem to remember that they were under intense scrutiny just last year & Izzo was all crying & poutyface that 3 or 5 players hadn’t raped 5 or 6 girls or something like that. Did I just imagine all of that?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

njMark

Post by njMark »

Slipkid42 wrote:Terps got their comeuppance with a slap down by the Spartans last night. Team still has a way to go to get to Sparty’s level. As I’m watching this game & realizing that I.hate Michigan State; I seem to remember that they were under intense scrutiny just last year & Izzo was all crying & poutyface that 3 or 5 players hadn’t raped 5 or 6 girls or something like that. Did I just imagine all of that?
You're supposed to hate that other team from Michigan, thieving bastards. 1989 will live forever in infamy.

whatwouldcooleydo?

njMark wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Terps got their comeuppance with a slap down by the Spartans last night. Team still has a way to go to get to Sparty’s level. As I’m watching this game & realizing that I.hate Michigan State; I seem to remember that they were under intense scrutiny just last year & Izzo was all crying & poutyface that 3 or 5 players hadn’t raped 5 or 6 girls or something like that. Did I just imagine all of that?
You're supposed to hate that other team from Michigan, thieving bastards. 1989 will live forever in infamy.
Why not (hate) both? ;)

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

njMark wrote:
Why not (hate) both? ;)

Screw you guys :D . A Seton Hall fan with an ax to grind? Really? And if there was ever a contest as to which state has two college basketball teams that are most deserving of hate, I'm going with North Carolina for $1,000 Alex.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Totally agree, dook and NCSU are 100% worthy of hatred

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Totally agree, dook and NCSU are 100% worthy of hatred
2 points. But I fed you a sweet ally-oop on that one.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Totally agree, dook and NCSU are 100% worthy of hatred
2 points. But I fed you a sweet ally-oop on that one.
Comedy aside, I have no hate for either MSU or Michigan in hoops. I do loathe Indiana and can't stand Ohio State, but otherwise I'm pretty indifferent to the Big 10. Correction: over the past decade or so I've enjoyed Wisconsin's program

Carolina and MSU have a long-running linkage, going back to the 1957 Final Four. We've beaten the Spartans in the Final Four for 3 of our national championships. Plus we have us beating Magic in the 78-79 regular season as well as playing them in the first aircraft carrier game (which was played on the USS Carl Vinson, the ship used to bury OBL [no, not One Belt Loop :lol: :lol: :lol:] at sea). I was so disappointed that the Heels & Spartans did not play each other at the Las Vegas tournament we attended in November, fuckin' Longhorns messed that up :x

whatwouldcooleydo?

The PAC-12 is so shitty this year, the NCAA should take away their automatic bid and give it to a more worthy conference. Given the prestige and resources available to the schools in this league, it's inconceivable that they have fallen so far. I don't really give a shit either way, but given my location, I see a ton of PAC-12 ball and hear a ton of talk about the league. I may be wrong, but if things play out the way it appears they will, this season will be the first time a power-5 conference will get only one bid to the tournament (last year they got just 3 bids, the same as the American and the A-10)

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Today was my first time getting to watch a #1 ranked Tennessee basketball team live in Thompson-Boling Arena, so I’m glad I got to cross that off my bucket list. Wasn’t the best game, but I’ll take a 17 point win over a future hall of fame coach. Speaking of which, I’ve always liked West Virginia’s Bob Huggins going back to his days at Cincinnati. He’s obviously had his issues over the years, but I love the system he runs and his interviews are usually good for a laugh.

Iowan, I was happy to see your Cyclones take down Ole Miss today. We’re MTSU basketball season ticket holders, and Kermit Davis was one of the most infuriating coaches ever. Routinely had top teams in the Sun Belt/C-USA, but always blew it in the conference tourney. I guess the two March wins were nice, but I was never a fan.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Apparently Davis was an assistant for both Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy, prior to either being at ISU.

Loved that effort yesterday. With the challenge having been renewed for 6 more years, it's time to get Kentucky into Hilton.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The PAC-12 is so shitty this year, the NCAA should take away their automatic bid and give it to a more worthy conference. Given the prestige and resources available to the schools in this league, it's inconceivable that they have fallen so far. I don't really give a shit either way, but given my location, I see a ton of PAC-12 ball and hear a ton of talk about the league. I may be wrong, but if things play out the way it appears they will, this season will be the first time a power-5 conference will get only one bid to the tournament (last year they got just 3 bids, the same as the American and the A-10)
I'm thinking they should just give up revenue sports altogether. They've been trash in football too, but the basketball tumble is on a different level.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The PAC-12 is so shitty this year, the NCAA should take away their automatic bid and give it to a more worthy conference. Given the prestige and resources available to the schools in this league, it's inconceivable that they have fallen so far. I don't really give a shit either way, but given my location, I see a ton of PAC-12 ball and hear a ton of talk about the league. I may be wrong, but if things play out the way it appears they will, this season will be the first time a power-5 conference will get only one bid to the tournament (last year they got just 3 bids, the same as the American and the A-10)
I'm thinking they should just give up revenue sports altogether. They've been trash in football too, but the basketball tumble is on a different level.
This is why we need relegation in American sports

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Iowan wrote:Apparently Davis was an assistant for both Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy, prior to either being at ISU.

Loved that effort yesterday. With the challenge having been renewed for 6 more years, it's time to get Kentucky into Hilton.
That would be awesome, I might have to make a road trip to Ames if that happens. I'm glad they extended the series, but I wish we'd play someone different instead of KU and WVU. Iowa St would be a good matchup, hope they make it happen.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:
Iowan wrote:Apparently Davis was an assistant for both Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy, prior to either being at ISU.

That would be awesome, I might have to make a road trip to Ames if that happens. I'm glad they extended the series, but I wish we'd play someone different instead of KU and WVU. Iowa St would be a good matchup, hope they make it happen.
If they put the Vols against KU next year, it makes a lot of sense.

In the same context, I'd think awfully hard about a road trip to Lexington if we visit there in the future. Since we went on the road this year, I'd think we'll get the SEC team at home this year. Assuming you guys go back on the road, it could work well.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Nice win for my Michigan guys over OSU last night. While it ain't the same as beating Urban Meyer, it was still fun. Taking a four hour road trip to Iowa City on Friday to catch the Michigan v. Iowa game. Iowa typically plays us very tough at home, so it should be a good game.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I put $20 on UW Huskies at 100 to 1 odds in Vegas. It's a sucker bet but they are playing well. Not getting any respect. 17-4 & undefeated in Pac 12. They got lucky with coach hire. They are playing some D!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Mr. B wrote:Nice win for my Michigan guys over OSU last night. While it ain't the same as beating Urban Meyer, it was still fun. Taking a four hour road trip to Iowa City on Friday to catch the Michigan v. Iowa game. Iowa typically plays us very tough at home, so it should be a good game.
Hit up Short's for dinner. It's across the river from the basketball arena, but it's one of my favorite burger joints anywhere. All Iowa ingredients, all Iowa beer on tap.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:I put $20 on UW Huskies at 100 to 1 odds in Vegas. It's a sucker bet but they are playing well. Not getting any respect. 17-4 & undefeated in Pac 12. They got lucky with coach hire. They are playing some D!
You should have just sent the $20 to me :lol:

Undefeated in PAC 12=best-lookin’ woman in Buttholeville

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:I put $20 on UW Huskies at 100 to 1 odds in Vegas. It's a sucker bet but they are playing well. Not getting any respect. 17-4 & undefeated in Pac 12. They got lucky with coach hire. They are playing some D!
You should have just sent the $20 to me :lol:

Undefeated in PAC 12=best-lookin’ woman in Buttholeville
& there's something wrong with best lookin woman in Buttholeville? :roll:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I hope Mr. B enjoyed his trip to Iowa, dirty Hawkeye win aside.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

getting into some hoops today. uw-ucla @ 1 PT. does dick vitale live at cameron? its almost like he's duke's announcer. :D

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:getting into some hoops today. uw-ucla @ 1 PT. does dick vitale live at cameron? its almost like he's duke's announcer. :D
There’s a reason he’s called dookie V ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

A ranked NC State team scored only 24 points today against VA Tech :o

How is that even possible??? And at home!

I heard that this is the lowest points for a ranked team in the shot clock era

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:A ranked NC State team scored only 24 points today against VA Tech :o

And VA Tech failed to score 50
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:A ranked NC State team scored only 24 points today against VA Tech :o

And VA Tech failed to score 50
Yep. State averages 84 per game, VA Tech 79