College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:Gotta break out the ugliest sweater I can find in honor of the ghost of Louie Carnesecca 'cause St. John's beat #5 Duke today. :)
I bet you have more than a few to choose from :lol: :lol: :lol:

great, now Heels have to play dook coming off this humiliating loss. They'll probably beat us Thursday by 25+ :roll: :roll: :roll: Good thing I'll be at DBT
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm still not sure why Duke played St John's in February, but I approve

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I'm still not sure why Duke played St John's in February, but I approve
They play every year. Gives students a chance to go home every other year (insert University of New Jersey-Durham joke here) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Easily the biggest UT blowout I’ve been in the house for since they demolished Kentucky back in 2013. 5 wins in a row, about to be ranked in the top 15. Not bad for a team picked to finish 13th in the SEC by the Associated Press.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

fKU coming to town tomorrow night. We have a 4 game conference win streak going in Hilton. Nearly beat fKU in Lawrence, and they're really struggling.

It seems like we might be the best (or highest ceiling) team to miss out on post-season play ever, at least at home. Looking forward to it, even if it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Fuck KU, always and forever.

Sterling Bigmouth

Of all the teams for UT to get drilled by and lose a 6 game winning streak to, of course it had to be those damn Bammers.

whatwouldcooleydo?

24 years ago today, remember it like it was yesterday

whatwouldcooleydo?

brought a gnarly cold/flu home from SF, been laid low since and haven't posted a bunch of things I meant to, such as this:

the selection committee released its first 16 teams in, seeded 1-4 in the 4 regions, and they had Oklahoma in as a 4. At that point they had lost 6 of 8, not to mention them losing again to run that string to 7 losses out of 9 games, so how the hell do they warrant being a 4 seed? I realize it doesn't mean much, if at all, at this point, but assuming this first 16 is an indication of how this year's committee is thinking, I want to know what the fuck they are smoking. I realize they likely want to give Young as much exposure as they can, given its gonna be his only tournament, but a 4 would be a ridiculous seed for this bunch. And yes, I do recognize the quality of this year's Big 12, but losing 7 of 9 speaks for itself

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

OU doesn't deserve a 4.

The Trae Young is out of bounds.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:brought a gnarly cold/flu home from SF, been laid low since and haven't posted a bunch of things I meant to, such as this:

the selection committee released its first 16 teams in, seeded 1-4 in the 4 regions, and they had Oklahoma in as a 4. At that point they had lost 6 of 8, not to mention them losing again to run that string to 7 losses out of 9 games, so how the hell do they warrant being a 4 seed? I realize it doesn't mean much, if at all, at this point, but assuming this first 16 is an indication of how this year's committee is thinking, I want to know what the fuck they are smoking. I realize they likely want to give Young as much exposure as they can, given its gonna be his only tournament, but a 4 would be a ridiculous seed for this bunch. And yes, I do recognize the quality of this year's Big 12, but losing 7 of 9 speaks for itself
When the seedlings came out, I thought the seeding of Purdue at #1 and MSU at #3 were mistakes. Now I am sure of it. MSU is going to be damn tough to beat at tournament time.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:The Trae Young is out of bounds.
is there a word/words missing from that post?

At the rate OU is going, they may find themselves having to make a case just to make the tournament

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

At the rate OU is going, they may find themselves having to make a case just to make the tournament
I meant to say "Trae Young thing".

I really need an editor. Like OU needs an intervention.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:

I meant to say "Trae Young thing".

I really need an editor. Like OU needs an intervention.
I have good editing skills, so I volunteer, you can pay me with Toppling Goliath :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

I'm not certain, but I think Mick Cronin just might be a leprechaun

whatwouldcooleydo?

College hoops corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs

this does not sound good

a few key points from the link:

It has been five months since the FBI arrested 10 men in a sweeping federal probe into the underbelly of the basketball world. As the three ongoing criminal cases resulting from the investigation plod along, it’s increasingly unlikely there will be another wave of double-digit arrests. More legal charges still could come, but what’s becoming increasingly clear as the discovery portion of the case comes to a close is that the breadth of potential NCAA rules violations uncovered is wide enough to fundamentally and indelibly alter the sport of college basketball.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

So how bad could be it? In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I’m eagerly waiting to hear who these schools are. High school and college basketball is a cesspool of corruption
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:I’m eagerly waiting to hear who these schools are. High school and college basketball is a cesspool of corruption
at this point, is there any form of big-time organized sport that isn't? Seems like rock & roll is all we have left :(

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:I’m eagerly waiting to hear who these schools are. High school and college basketball is a cesspool of corruption
at this point, is there any form of big-time organized sport that isn't?
Sure, but basketball is on its own level. AAU is a total shit house

Sterling Bigmouth

Being in Athens wearing a UT sweatshirt as the Bulldogs were wiping the floor with us sure was an interesting experience.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Being in Athens wearing a UT sweatshirt as the Bulldogs were wiping the floor with us sure was an interesting experience.
probably safer than if you had wiped the floor with them :lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Louisville has been stripped of its 2013 national championship

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Louisville has been stripped of its 2013 national championship
And that has nothing to do with the FBI stuff. This is the NCAA finally getting around to the 2010-14 "hookers in dorms" scandal

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Louisville has been stripped of its 2013 national championship
And that has nothing to do with the FBI stuff. This is the NCAA finally getting around to the 2010-14 "hookers in dorms" scandal
yep. The shitstorm hasn't even started

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I wonder why they're teasing us with this shit.

They know what they know. Get it out there, so I can start finding something else to watch in the depths of winter if ISU's indicated.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It took college basketball a decade or more to recover from the gambling scandals in the 1950's. This sounds bigger than that with a correspondingly bigger impact, although the charges may not be as clear and easy to grasp as "gambling on your own games" which is immediately understandable to even casual fans. Interesting times, especially for "hall of fame coaches" and the like.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I wonder why they're teasing us with this shit.

They know what they know. Get it out there, so I can start finding something else to watch in the depths of winter if ISU's indicated.
Sir, your friendly editor here, just wondering if you actually meant implicated

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

That would have been better, but I did mean indicated. Like the report would indicate that Iowa State was involved in serious wrong doing.

This is like the time, prior to the release of "English Oceans", where I hypothesized that on "Shit Shots Count" Cooley was intentionally mispronouncing "voir dire" instead of "born dyin'" in the chorus to make some Cooley-esque analogy that life was just a weird selection process and I thought Bubba was going to stroke out from laughter.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:

That would have been better, but I did mean indicated. Like the report would indicate that Iowa State was involved in serious wrong doing.

This is like the time, prior to the release of "English Oceans", where I hypothesized that on "Shit Shots Count" Cooley was intentionally mispronouncing "voir dire" instead of "born dyin'" in the chorus to make some Cooley-esque analogy that life was just a weird selection process and I thought Bubba was going to stroke out from laughter.
well, if ISU has been involved in serious wrongdoing, y'all didn't get your money's worth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Voire dire- classic! That's like back in the day when BITUSA first came out, on Cover Me I swore Springsteen was singing "Alsace-Lorraine" instead of "Outside's the rain" :roll: :roll: :roll:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Sir, your friendly editor here, just wondering if you actually meant implicated

well, if ISU has been involved in serious wrongdoing, y'all didn't get your money's worth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Voire dire- classic! That's like back in the day when BITUSA first came out, on Cover Me I swore Springsteen was singing "Alsace-Lorraine" instead of "Outside's the rain" :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ain't that the god's honest truth.

Regarding the last sentence, that's gold. :lol: There's gotta be a good misheard lyrics thread somewhere. Maybe that's where the exchange I detailed earlier occurred.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:ir, your friendly editor here, just wondering if you actually meant implicated

FWIW, I thought you meant indicted :)
Iowan wrote:There's gotta be a good misheard lyrics thread somewhere.
I'm sure there's at least one, probably more. There's also at least one book on the subject called 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy. Unless it's called There's a Bathroom on the Right. Or maybe there are 2 books, wtf do i know?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard