College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by Iowan »

Mr. B wrote:
Iowan wrote:The Big 12 is absurd this year.

It's too bad we're in the midst of a rebuild year and won't be part of the fun. OU, WVU, TCU, and fucking Tech all look capable of ending the streak.
I've seen parts of two WVU games this year, and boy do they look good. Especially love the guard play. I would hate to have to play them in the tournament.
They're going to skull fuck us twice.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

whew, we kept Clemson winless in Chapel Hill, 59-0 versus the Tigers in CH. Took some work, but the streak lives. Whatever positive that happens from here to end of season is gravy :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Wild start to the week in the Big 12. WVU goes down to fKU in Morgantown (and gives up a 16 point lead in the process). OU gets spanked by Squeaky Bruce and the Kitties in the Octagon last night.

After watching fKU struggle and lose a couple early games, it seems like all the challengers are starting to drop. Queue up #14 for fKU.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

UT travels to CoMo tonight to take on Missouri and our former coach Cuonzo Martin. I don’t dislike Martin, but this isn’t a game I’d be ok with losing for even one second. Can only imagine what Myron Medcalf and Dana O’Neil would be saying if we lost to the coach the fans “forced out”.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Myron Medcalf and Dana O’Neil
sincere question: who are they?

And yes, I do know that Google is my friend ;)

Sterling Bigmouth

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Medcalf is an ESPN writer, O’Neil is a former ESPN writer. If I remember right, they were the only two at ESPN that had a weird fixation with the Bruce Pearl/Cuonzo Martin saga and turning it into a big controversy.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:

Medcalf is an ESPN writer, O’Neil is a former ESPN writer. If I remember right, they were the only two at ESPN that had a weird fixation with the Bruce Pearl/Cuonzo Martin saga and turning it into a big controversy.
Thanks!

whatwouldcooleydo?

bits and bobs

(1) dook gets commitment from Zion Williamson for next year, giving them 4 of the top 10 incoming recruits (#1, 2, 3, & 10). Crown 'em :(

If this season progresses how it has of late for dook, they will probably win this year as well. So many teams have had them on the ropes this year, but a majority of the time they find a way to come back and win (reminds me of the team with Jason Williams that won it all). With a lesser coach this would make me think they are ripe for being upset early in the tournament, but with the #1 coach of all time they will learn from this and be formidable by March. Bagley is a beast

(2) I was prepared to say WVU was the toughest, grittiest team in the land, and a Final Four team in my opinion, until last Monday when they beat KU from pillar to post for 90% of the game, only to allow a soft Chickenhawk team to shoot their way to a huge comeback road win. Like dook, KU has been on the ropes nearly ever game of late, yet somehow find a way to win when seemingly dead on their feet. Still a good shot to make San Antonio

(3) pretty much loathe all the schools in the Big 12, but damn, they are beating the shit out of one another this year. Very entertaining to watch from the outside. Not sure TCU or even Tech is as good as they have looked/have been ranked, but nonetheless this is one tough as nails league. I really don't care who is the last team standing in this league so long as it isn't KU

(4) Iowa State has a player whose last name is Lard.

(5) as I always do this time of year, jonesin' for some quality live college hoops. Bay Area is closest place to feed that jones, but not that close, so LBRod and I are going to Fresno on Tuesday to see Fresno St. play UNLV in the Jerry Tarkanian Bowl. Rod scored us very nice courtside seats and I am ready to hoop it up

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Lard is a fuckin' beast. I don't they we turned enough of a corner to make a run at March, but that was a big step forward for this group of guys, and next year should be a ton of fun.

The only bittersweet part of yesterday was basically eliminating a threat to KU's streak.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

This is high school instead of college, but I thought I’d share anyways. My nephew hit this incredible game-winner Friday night.

And just to stay on topic, nice win by my Wildcats last night, coming back from 17 down to beat Huggy Bear and WVU and clinch the SEC/Big 12 Challenge 6-4.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

rlipps wrote:

This is high school instead of college, but I thought I’d share anyways. My nephew hit this incredible game-winner Friday night.

And just to stay on topic, nice win by my Wildcats last night, coming back from 17 down to beat Huggy Bear and WVU and clinch the SEC/Big 12 Challenge 6-4.

That is really cool. Great job. Some kid in Evanston hit an even more incredible shot to win a game on Friday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Arhe29Jy-s

And, back to college hoops -- I think WVU has lost 4 of 5 since I posted something a few weeks ago about how good i thought there were. And I wonder why I never make money when I go to Vegas . . .

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Yeah, I saw that shot from Evanston, that was crazy. I actually texted my nephew that night and told him his shot was already down to #2 on my list for the night.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Ship don't be sinking, ship be sunk :roll:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Our ship's sunk. WVU is going to fucking skin us alive tonight.

I had free tickets 10 rows from the floor and turned them down to attend Haz-Mat Re certification class (annual requirement for staying on the local volunteer fire department). The sad part is that even though I really should hit tonight's re-cert, it will actually be more fun than watching that game.

Sterling Bigmouth

Iowan wrote:Our ship's sunk. WVU is going to fucking skin us alive tonight.

I had free tickets 10 rows from the floor and turned them down to attend Haz-Mat Re certification class (annual requirement for staying on the local volunteer fire department). The sad part is that even though I really should hit tonight's re-cert, it will actually be more fun than watching that game.
Really thought y’all had something for the Vols after watching the first couple minutes of that game, but it seemed to fall apart quick. How do you feel about Steve Prohm compared to Fred Hoiberg?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:

Really thought y’all had something for the Vols after watching the first couple minutes of that game, but it seemed to fall apart quick. How do you feel about Steve Prohm compared to Fred Hoiberg?
I figured it would be our typical home game, where it was close or we even won (3 point spread, IIRC).

I like Prohm. This was going to be a down year regardless, in part because of the recruiting hole in Hoiberg's last year, as well as Prohm putting a bunch of eggs (recruiting wise) in last year's basket, and while last year had some really special moments, it didn't quite hit it's potential.

We have a really good recruiting class coming in, and our current players have shown some sparks of brilliance. However, next year is a tournament or bust scenario. One rebuild year is fine, but the pieces are there for next year's team to be the kind of team we've been used to most of my life (winning conference record, home wins over ranked teams, contender for conference tournament, etc). If we're in this spot next year, I'll be cooling.

I'd have to imagine you're pleased with Barnes thus far?

Sterling Bigmouth

Iowan wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:

I figured it would be our typical home game, where it was close or we even won (3 point spread, IIRC).

I like Prohm. This was going to be a down year regardless, in part because of the recruiting hole in Hoiberg's last year, as well as Prohm putting a bunch of eggs (recruiting wise) in last year's basket, and while last year had some really special moments, it didn't quite hit it's potential.

We have a really good recruiting class coming in, and our current players have shown some sparks of brilliance. However, next year is a tournament or bust scenario. One rebuild year is fine, but the pieces are there for next year's team to be the kind of team we've been used to most of my life (winning conference record, home wins over ranked teams, contender for conference tournament, etc). If we're in this spot next year, I'll be cooling.

Barnes has done a great job proving me wrong. When he was hired I said year 3 was tournament or bust, and not only should the Vols do that, there’s no reason for them not to be at least a 5 seed. Gotta say the crow tastes pretty good this time around.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote: Really thought y’all had something for the Vols after watching the first couple minutes of that game, but it seemed to fall apart quick. How do you feel about Steve Prohm compared to Fred Hoiberg?

Barnes has done a great job proving me wrong. When he was hired I said year 3 was tournament or bust, and not only should the Vols do that, there’s no reason for them not to be at least a 5 seed. Gotta say the crow tastes pretty good this time around.
I thought it felt a little like a retread hire by a school that had been burned badly and wanted a guy that would field a watchable team, that stayed on the right side of the NCAA, but didn't have much ceiling. I was impressed by what I saw Saturday, but wasn't sure how much of that was a result of the giant turd we laid down on the floor. I think they're in a good spot right now, especially with Kentucky struggling (by their standards).

Barnes seemed like he always had better talent than results at UT, hence my general opinion of him.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Barnes has long seemed to be a better recruiter than he is a coach

Sterling Bigmouth

Personally, I couldn’t stand Barnes at Texas. Thought he typically got a little out of a lot, especially with that Kevin Durant team that didn’t even make the Sweet 16. When he was hired my 1st thought was “retread” kinda like you said, Iowan. He didn’t impress me at all the last two years and he still has some maddening characteristics (never calling timeouts, very rarely recruiting outside of Knoxville, etc.), but I suppose I can’t argue with results. Other than the Vols success what I love seeing the most is Kentucky’s (relative) struggles.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Always go to the show.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Iowan wrote:

Always go to the show.
You should have known your boys were going to win as soon as I posted my comments about how great WVU looks about three weeks ago. Didn't see much of the game, but from what I saw it was probably slightly more compelling than Haz-Mat certification class. Always go to the show.

whatwouldcooleydo?

crossposted from drinking thread

Dust Bowl Brewery in Turlock, CA. Was there with LBRod last week (we were on way to Fresno to see Fresno State play/beat UNLV). He comes back to table and says, "you'll love the urinal." I then said, "is it coach k's face?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

so during the majority of both WVU/KU and WVU/UK I was ready to crown WVU and pencil them in as favorites to win it all. There defense was just devastating in both games, but then they collapsed twice in huge "WTF? fashion" and are now in a death spiral.

Bill Self is already in HOF and Bob Huggins is not. Does that seem right to y'all (the part about Self getting in before Thuggins)? Self has one ring, no doubt, but Huggins has nearly 200 more wins and a reasonably comparable win %- Huggins 72% and Self 77%. Both have been to two Final Fours. Self definitely has more COTY awards but that doesn't strike me as being a huge difference-maker

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think Huggy will be an HOF kind of guy, but he's definitely a tier below Self, whom I'd put on par with Roy, K, Cal, Boeheim for active coaches.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I think Huggy will be an HOF kind of guy, but he's definitely a tier below Self, whom I'd put on par with Roy, K, Cal, Boeheim for active coaches.
Guess 835 wins doesn’t mean as much as it used to. Which is 3 more wins than Roy Williams has

ETA: Hope I am not coming across as defending Huggins, who I really cannot stand. To be clear, I am just surprised that Self (another one I can't stand) got into the HOF first- nothing more, nothing less

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:I think Huggy will be an HOF kind of guy, but he's definitely a tier below Self, whom I'd put on par with Roy, K, Cal, Boeheim for active coaches.
Guess 835 wins doesn’t mean as much as it used to. Which is 3 more wins than Roy Williams has

ETA: Hope I am not coming across as defending Huggins, who I really cannot stand. To be clear, I am just surprised that Self (another one I can't stand) got into the HOF first- nothing more, nothing less
I'm actually a pretty big Huggy fan. I think he's a total character, and I respect how he's won everywhere goes, but came back to where he's from and just doesn't give a fuck.

Self has a title, and that's a big deal. Plus, as much as it kills me to admit it, KU's dominance of regular season Big 12 basketball is fucking incredible. I think Self has earned that spot over Huggy Bear at this point.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't claim any expertise in college bball but I do think winning a championship(s) matters and could easily explain why Self is in and Huggins isn't (yet).

Meanwhile...

Gotta break out the ugliest sweater I can find in honor of the ghost of Louie Carnesecca 'cause St. John's beat #5 Duke today. :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

So I guess Kevin Ollie also goes in before Huggins :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

A damn good hoops day so far -- Michigan wins in OT (despite playing poorly) and Duke, Kentucky and Kansas all lose. If UNC and MSU lose tonight, it may be the greatest day in college basketball history. :)