College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by Iowan »

I bet there's one massive hangover in Chico today.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Iowan wrote:I bet there's one massive hangover in Chico today.
:lol:

Congrats wwcd !
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

TW_2.0 wrote:
:lol:

Congrats wwcd !
Indeed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

So happy we won- hell, ecstatic- and all that, but good lord, that game was total ass, just brutal basketball. Like everyone else in America, I think that was one of the most poorly-officiated sporting events I have ever witnessed. That can't be emphasized strongly enough. The entire tournament had bad officiating but last night was a whole other level.

And on top of- some might say because of- the referees, the shooting on both sides was horrendous. I still can't believe how many close range shots Karnowski missed, shots he'd been making all year. And Carolina had some of the worst shot selection I have ever seen, especially from Pinson. He's not much of a 3 point shooter but just kept jacking them up. I thought for sure he had shot us out of the game

I know that most people think that UCONN/Butler final in 2011 was one of the ugliest championships ever. I don't remember the game vividly but would be hard-pressed to believe that 2011 was more brutal on the eyes than last night

Bottom line, Heel won and that's what I will remember. It is hands down their ugliest title but that doesn't matter. After losing last year in such heartbreaking fashion, I don't really care how we won. They have had much better teams over the years that looked primed to win it all but then had major injuries (the 1977 finals team, Kenny Smith, Kendall Marshall) or got upset, so maybe hanging a banner like this is just some sort of balancing out

whatwouldcooleydo?

no surprise here- both Malik Monk and De’Aaron Fox of Kentucky are 1 & done

also, there are reports that Wichita State will be joining the American Athletic Conference (basketball only), leaving the Missouri Valley Conference behind.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

fun fact: in all three of Roy Williams' championship seasons (2005, 2009, 2017) the Heels won the Maui Classic, won the regular season title but did not win the ACC Tournament, and cut down the final nets

whatwouldcooleydo?

I drank so much last night I can't remember how many cars I flipped over and torched :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

good lord, I need a long, hot shower after watching this

I like to believe there is a special place in hell for assholes like Dave Bliss

When my wife was finishing her doctorate at the University of Texas, her mentor pleaded with her to accept a job at Baylor. He is a good guy and the program at Baylor is good, so it's not like he was doing anything other than looking out for a protege, but she had the sense to tell him "hell fuckin' no!"

whatwouldcooleydo?

it still lives :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

good lord, I need a long, hot shower after watching this

I like to believe there is a special place in hell for assholes like Dave Bliss

When my wife was finishing her doctorate at the University of Texas, her mentor pleaded with her to accept a job at Baylor. He is a good guy and the program at Baylor is good, so it's not like he was doing anything other than looking out for a protege, but she had the sense to tell him "hell fuckin' no!"
That whole university, hell that entire county, is fucked.

When you're in Waco, you just have this eerie feeling crawling up your neck. I wish the Big 12 would kick them out and bring in Houston.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Good god man!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:So happy we won- hell, ecstatic- and all that, but good lord, that game was total ass, just brutal basketball. Like everyone else in America, I think that was one of the most poorly-officiated sporting events I have ever witnessed. That can't be emphasized strongly enough. The entire tournament had bad officiating but last night was a whole other level.

And on top of- some might say because of- the referees, the shooting on both sides was horrendous. I still can't believe how many close range shots Karnowski missed, shots he'd been making all year. And Carolina had some of the worst shot selection I have ever seen, especially from Pinson. He's not much of a 3 point shooter but just kept jacking them up. I thought for sure he had shot us out of the game

I know that most people think that UCONN/Butler final in 2011 was one of the ugliest championships ever. I don't remember the game vividly but would be hard-pressed to believe that 2011 was more brutal on the eyes than last night

Bottom line, Heel won and that's what I will remember. It is hands down their ugliest title but that doesn't matter. After losing last year in such heartbreaking fashion, I don't really care how we won. They have had much better teams over the years that looked primed to win it all but then had major injuries (the 1977 finals team, Kenny Smith, Kendall Marshall) or got upset, so maybe hanging a banner like this is just some sort of balancing out
OMG yes, that was one ugly, brutally officiated game. I can't say I have legendary bad officiating games catalogued in my mind (don denkinger being a notable exception) but this had to be among the worst. From my perspective, it wasn't just the officiating per se, it was how the officiating contributed to what was simply a bad, difficult and boring to watch basketball game. The shooting by both teams certainly added to the abuse of the game feel of the contest. Just pure ugliness all around, very difficult to watch. I did ask myself why I was still watching, yet I did watch until the end. Go figure. I wonder what the folks at the NCAA and CBS made of the game and whether it will lead to any changes?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can't believe I forgot to say that in more important news, I finished 4th and 6th in my pool, just out of the money (top 3). My best showing in a number of years.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Good god man!
I should clarify; it hasn't been one continuous hangover, more of a process of recover during day and then "celebrate" again at night :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Just pure ugliness all around, very difficult to watch. I did ask myself why I was still watching, yet I did watch until the end.
I am a total college basketball junkie. I watch a ton of games all season long from all around the country. I'm not one of these people who only watches/follows his favorite team.

That said, I keep asking myself this: if I had been neutral on Monday night, would I have watched the game to the end? I honestly think there is a really good chance I would have changed the channel

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

the Lonzo Ball part of this ad is pretty damn funny (though WTF is up with his makeup?). Perhaps this should have gone in the NBA thread........

whatwouldcooleydo?

damn, two coaching greats died in the past 48 hours, Jud Heathcote and now Rollie Massimino :(

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:damn, two coaching greats died in the past 48 hours, Jud Heathcote and now Rollie Massimino :(
My mom was just telling me tonight about heckling Heathcote when she was a student at Iowa.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:damn, two coaching greats died in the past 48 hours, Jud Heathcote and now Rollie Massimino :(
Sad to hear. I was a two-time attendee of the Jud Heathcote basketball camp (as a middle school kid who was probably 5 foot tall at the time, shockingly the college offers did not roll in) and closely followed MSU basketball growing up. About 15 years ago, I sat down to play poker at the Bellagio in Vegas and Jud was already sitting at the table. Really nice, gracious and friendly guy. And he didn't mind when I took a few pots from him. :D

whatwouldcooleydo?

something to keep your eye on. In addition to the four schools mentioned, Louisville *seems* to be under investigation as well. If true, I don't see how Pitino can survive yet another scandal.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... corruption

Four assistant basketball coaches from Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and Southern California were arrested Tuesday morning on federal corruption charges, and that might only be the tip of the iceberg in a three-year FBI probe that focused on coaches being paid tens of thousands of dollars to steer NBA-bound players toward sports agents, financial advisers and apparel companies.

Federal prosecutors in New York announced charges of fraud and corruption against 10 people, including Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans, Arizona's Emanuel "Book" Richardson and USC's Tony Bland.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:something to keep your eye on. In addition to the four schools mentioned, Louisville *seems* to be under investigation as well. If true, I don't see how Pitino can survive yet another scandal.

Four assistant basketball coaches from Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and Southern California were arrested Tuesday morning on federal corruption charges, and that might only be the tip of the iceberg in a three-year FBI probe that focused on coaches being paid tens of thousands of dollars to steer NBA-bound players toward sports agents, financial advisers and apparel companies.

Federal prosecutors in New York announced charges of fraud and corruption against 10 people, including Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans, Arizona's Emanuel "Book" Richardson and USC's Tony Bland.
And to think, if the Vols had re-hired Bruce Pearl after Cuonzo left they’d have the feds investigating them.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:something to keep your eye on. In addition to the four schools mentioned, Louisville *seems* to be under investigation as well. If true, I don't see how Pitino can survive yet another scandal.

Reports out of Louisville that AD Tom Jurich has been fired and Pitino has reportedly told his staff he expects to be fired too.

whatwouldcooleydo?

rlipps wrote:

Reports out of Louisville that AD Tom Jurich has been fired and Pitino has reportedly told his staff he expects to be fired too.
Wonder how long before goes to his tried & true 9/11 excuse :roll:

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

fuck pitino and fuck calipari. bunch of crooks.

though you know that this shit is rampant across the NCAA in any big $ program.

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography wrote:fuck pitino and fuck calipari. bunch of crooks.

though you know that this shit is rampant across the NCAA in any big $ program.
obligatory

whatwouldcooleydo?

and for those familiar with Pitino's legendary "stamina"......

https://twitter.com/DrewFranklinKSR/sta ... 87/video/1

for those unfamiliar........

http://uproxx.com/sports/learn-everythi ... en-sypher/

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Reports saying that Jurich was asked to fire Pitino first, and then was fired himself after he refused. What a hill to die on.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob