College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Iowan wrote:The plane has crashed into the mountain. Or, more accurately, the grain bin.
Other than the two straight losses, what else happened?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:The plane has crashed into the mountain. Or, more accurately, the grain bin.
That's the big one. One of our better interior players (Cam Lard) got injured in the first loss, didn't play in the second. Might be back tomorrow night, might not. I don't like the indefinite feel of it.

After starting conference play 2-0 and throttling KU, we were in a really good spot to end the KU streak. Then we shit two consecutive games down our leg, including one at home, with guys missing open looks late, choking at the line, and - of course - questionable officiating.

I don't think we're off pace of pre-season expectations, but this team had the opportunity to do something an ISU squad hasn't done in a long time. That's pretty well been pissed away.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
That's the big one. One of our better interior players (Cam Lard) got injured in the first loss, didn't play in the second. Might be back tomorrow night, might not. I don't like the indefinite feel of it.

After starting conference play 2-0 and throttling KU, we were in a really good spot to end the KU streak. Then we shit two consecutive games down our leg, including one at home, with guys missing open looks late, choking at the line, and - of course - questionable officiating.

I don't think we're off pace of pre-season expectations, but this team had the opportunity to do something an ISU squad hasn't done in a long time. That's pretty well been pissed away.
That hardly sounds like “plane crashed into mountain.” Not throwing shade, that just seems like a big reach

Good teams overcome this kind of stuff. Embrace the gut check

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote: That's the big one. One of our better interior players (Cam Lard) got injured in the first loss, didn't play in the second. Might be back tomorrow night, might not. I don't like the indefinite feel of it.

That hardly sounds like “plane crashed into mountain.” Not throwing shade, that just seems like a big reach

"Crashed into the mountain" is all relative. It seems like in 7 days time they played themselves into, and then immediately out of, the conference title race.

It's a talented team, but young. I have little faith they will gut check. But you're right, good teams overcome this kind of stuff. I think we're just not as good as our talent level could take us.

whatwouldcooleydo?

(1) Georgia appears to stink- good, their coach is a fuckin’ asshole (plus he looks like Martin Prince from The Simpsons)

(2) is “physicality” an actual word? It certainly is bigly used by coaches/announcers

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:(1) Georgia appears to stink- good, their coach is a fuckin’ asshole (plus he looks like Martin Prince from The Simpsons)

(2) is “physicality” an actual word? It certainly is bigly used by coaches/announcers
After watching Georgia up close, I think they have a couple talented players (particularly Claxton), but not much beyond that. I kind of like Tom Crean actually, though I think he was in over his head by the time his Indiana tenure ended. Georgia might be a better, lower pressure job for him, though he still constantly looks like he’s on the verge of an aneurysm.

I’m all for banning “physicality” from commentators’ vocabulary, as well as the use of “finesse” as a verb.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Sterling Bigmouth

Iowan wrote:
Iowan wrote: That's the big one. One of our better interior players (Cam Lard) got injured in the first loss, didn't play in the second. Might be back tomorrow night, might not. I don't like the indefinite feel of it.

"Crashed into the mountain" is all relative. It seems like in 7 days time they played themselves into, and then immediately out of, the conference title race.

It's a talented team, but young. I have little faith they will gut check. But you're right, good teams overcome this kind of stuff. I think we're just not as good as our talent level could take us.
And just like that, you guys are back.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Until we lose to WVU in Morgantown, or something like dumb like that. We're the epitome of "playing to the competition".

Cheering for this team is like sleeping with a beautiful sociopath.

But that was an awesome win last night. If we can just take care of business against a recently depleted Okie State squad in Hilton on Saturday, Big Monday in Lawrence will be a very high stakes affair.

whatwouldcooleydo?

The Dean E. Smith Center opened 33 years ago today with a 3-point win over that Methodist school from Durham

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Terps throttle Buckeyes in Columbus. Next up: Spartans in East Lansing. Still seems weird to be making these snow belt road trips.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

whatwouldcooleydo?

Slipkid42 wrote:Terps throttle Buckeyes in Columbus. Next up: Spartans in East Lansing. Still seems weird to be making these snow belt road trips.
That was impressive. I’ve watched you guys multiple times so far and you look quite good

That said, still pissed that you left the ACC. Never forget :x Albert King/Buck Williams-era Terps remains my favorite “non-Heels” ACC team ever.

Also, how is it that Maryland hasn’t adopted the mighty coda to Terrapin Station as your fight song???

whatwouldcooleydo?

That O’Connell punk on dook looks like that elf in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer who wanted to be a dentist

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

So my boys in maize and blue finally lost their first game of the year today. Not a surprise, Wisconsin always plays us real tough and we were overdue to have a bad game. We aren't talented enough to win if we play poorly. Still been a great season so far, hopefully will only lose another game or two in the big 10 (although MSU looks really solid right now) and could very well still enter the big dance as a Number 1 seed. Of course, we could also lose another 5 games in the next 6 weeks, so I ain't counting my chickens yet.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Attention: Fuck Kansas

Carry on.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Slipkid42 wrote:Terps throttle Buckeyes in Columbus. Next up: Spartans in East Lansing. Still seems weird to be making these snow belt road trips.
That was impressive. I’ve watched you guys multiple times so far and you look quite good

That said, still pissed that you left the ACC. Never forget :x Albert King/Buck Williams-era Terps remains my favorite “non-Heels” ACC team ever.

Also, how is it that Maryland hasn’t adopted the mighty coda to Terrapin Station as your fight song???
Yeah, I do miss the ACC rivalries and wish we had never left. Big 10 still seems alien to me esp. the sunken benches @ Minnesota.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Iowan wrote:Attention: Fuck Kansas

Carry on.
Taking my son to watch UK/KU next Saturday. He’s been to several games, but this will be his first big-game atmosphere at Rupp, hopefully we can pull out a W.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:

Carry on.
Taking my son to watch UK/KU next Saturday. He’s been to several games, but this will be his first big-game atmosphere at Rupp, hopefully we can pull out a W.
I’m rooting for you. Conference solidarity is all fine and well, but fuuuuuuck Kansas.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Slipkid42 wrote:

Yeah, I do miss the ACC rivalries and wish we had never left. Big 10 still seems alien to me esp. the sunken benches @ Minnesota.
Conference realignment was the worst.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Yeah! Bring back the SWAC!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Yeah! Bring back the SWAC!
It never went away

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest ... Conference

whatwouldcooleydo?

I would love for the ACC to bring back Maryland and South Carolina/delete BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville

Showing my age by remembering South Carolina being in the ACC

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The SWAC exists.

If you meant the SWC, you’re sarcasm would still be correct. College sports was better with regional conferences.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
The SWAC exists.

If you meant the SWC, you’re sarcasm would still be correct. College sports was better with regional conferences.
Better for who? The fans? It hasn't been about the fans for 30 years

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
The SWAC exists.

Better for who? The fans? It hasn't been about the fans for 30 years
Fans and athletes. The people who's interest makes the sport profitable, and the people who actually compete.

Let's have kids fly from Maryland to Nebraska to play field hockey! Or West Virginia to west Texas to run track!

Go back to the last 80's configuration, but have Penn State in the Big East. Pac 10, SWC, SEC, Big 8, Big 10, ACC, Big East. It's a pipe dream, but in what ways would that not be more interesting/entertaining? Large, geographically sprawled conferences are just not as interesting.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Fans and athletes. The people who's interest makes the sport profitable, and the people who actually compete.

Let's have kids fly from Maryland to Nebraska to play field hockey! Or West Virginia to west Texas to run track!
Yes, this is silly, but it's the price of your entire athletic program being paid for by football and/or men's basketball
Go back to the last 80's configuration, but have Penn State in the Big East. Pac 10, SWC, SEC, Big 8, Big 10, ACC, Big East. It's a pipe dream, but in what ways would that not be more interesting/entertaining? Large, geographically sprawled conferences are just not as interesting.
With cable/satellite/streaming, the conferences don't need to be regional anymore. In fact, I would say the regional nature of, say, MLB is one of the things that holds it back

Sterling Bigmouth

Numero uno, baby

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Image
Numero uno, baby
Congrats!!!

Is this the first time for the men’s team?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Image
Numero uno, baby
So glad we don't play you in the SEC/Big 12 challenge this year.

Speaking of which, what do you think of that thing? I personally hate the timing of it, but love the guaranteed match up with another P5 league. If this went back to being a pre-conference play sort of thing, I'd like it better.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Yes, this is silly, but it's the price of your entire athletic program being paid for by football and/or men's basketball
With cable/satellite/streaming, the conferences don't need to be regional anymore. In fact, I would say the regional nature of, say, MLB is one of the things that holds it back
Coverage certainly doesn't need to be regional, but from a fan perspective it was more fun when it had a stronger regional vibe. I'm guessing the athletes preferred it too.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I am "fuck Kansas!" 24/7/365, but..... I wouldn't want to be you guys tonight. They are coming off a loss and go to Rupp Arena on Saturday to play a team that is currently in great form and should fully expect to give the Chickenhawks a thrashing, so they are gonna be close to desperate to beat you guys in Lawrence. I wish you well and will gladly (unlike The Fonz) say that I am wrong should the Cyclones win