College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by beantownbubba »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Yeah, that looks about right.
If your choice of conference for team winning it all were ACC/SEC or the field, what would you choose?
Woke up today thinking about this, considering that 9 of the Sweet 16 come from these two conferences.
LOL, when "the field" is smaller than "the favorite" that's a non-betting proposition for sure.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
If your choice of conference for team winning it all were ACC/SEC or the field, what would you choose?

LOL, when "the field" is smaller than "the favorite" that's a non-betting proposition for sure.
Just to be clear: I asked that back in February, so at that point the "field" was 64
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:What the hell is in the water at UCF? Were they even in Div. 1 10 years ago? Now they're going undefeated in football in multiple years and taking the # 1 seed to the last second in a very winnable game in the tournament. Well, it's either the water or a recruiting scandal waiting to happen. Whatever, still impressive.
It's all due to the Daniel Tosh effect :lol:

Had to look this up: they joined D1 in 1984. Also, their teams were originally known as The Knights of Pegasus :o

Wasn't that a Danny Elfman band?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:

Just to be clear: I asked that back in February, so at that point the "field" was 64
1. I didn't realize that.
2. Your math isn't right: you have to assume at least a few SEC/ACC teams make the tournament, right? So let's call the field, say, 56. although I assume the actual number was lower than that.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Your math isn't right: you have to assume at least a few SEC/ACC teams make the tournament, right? So let's call the field, say, 56. although I assume the actual number was lower than that.
(1) you are correct

(2) you missed a golden opportunity to go with the classic, "Well actually...." ;)

(3)

whatwouldcooleydo?

So I have 13 of the Sweet 16, but I had 2 of my 3 losing teams advancing to the Elite 8, and that will hurt me going forward towards getting paid :(

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:He looked like a try-hard in a YMCA pick up game
a YMCA try-hard who has the NCAA record for career 3s
read this about Fletcher Magee, ouch:

It was so hard to watch Magee struggle. He kept shooting and shooting and shooting, each attempt providing three seconds of hope to keep Wofford’s dreams alive. Each one clanged. Now Magee is out of chances, as he’s a graduating senior with limited pro prospects. Thanks to his incredible talent, the world finally learned his name, and, on the day the world learned his name, he failed. That’s the tragedy: that Magee was great enough to become a disappointment.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sweet 16 about to tip!

whatwouldcooleydo?

This.

24/7/365

That said, I have the same expectation that I did at the start of the season, which is for evil to prevail, and nothing's changed on that front, alas. Of course it's not what I want but given the general state of things these days, them cutting down the nets will be the cherry atop the shit sundae :( A championship-level team that survives a big scare in the tournament, as they did against UCF last Sunday, often goes on to win it all. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong on this

whatwouldcooleydo?

Big 12, the self-proclaimed premier basketball conference, is well-represented in the NIT Final Four.

Kudos

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

the flying catholic girls of gonzaga work their special magic again last night....

whatwouldcooleydo?

On Wednesday we went to a birthday party for a close friend. Lots of friends there. One of said friends is a good dude I've known for around 10 years. My guess is that he is about 10 years younger than me, give or take. He's always lived in CA and for some reason he became a big Tar Heel fan back in the Jamison-Carter era. For the entire time I've known him and his wife he and I always talk Heels hoops and sports in general whenever we hang out. And his wife has been there to witness at least 90% of our sports discussions

So of course on Wednesday he and I are talking about tonight's game when his wife says to me: "Oh, are you a Tar Heel fan too like (her husband's name)?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It hurts each and every one of us when we are not seen or acknowledged. Sending you bushels full of man hugs and several cases of craft beer to soothe your pain.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:It hurts each and every one of us when we are not seen or acknowledged. Sending you bushels full of man hugs and several cases of craft beer to soothe your pain.
I know you are joking, I think, but you misread me (though it's not like I gave a lot of clues). My point is that she's heard us have this conversation a thousand times or more but she's so self-centered that things go in one ear and out the other if it's not about her or her large brood. In her world things that don't impact her directly do not exist/never happened/are not important. As superficial as our relationship is, she whiffed on one of the very few things she should have known about me :lol: It's like after ten years I had expressed surprised that her hair is the color that it has always been

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Well, first half was as advertised.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:Well, first half was as advertised.
Pert near

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Auburn ass whuppin
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote:Auburn ass whuppin
Sorry UNC fans. Great game Auburn. Loved seeing the Auburn coach get emotional. Go Hokies!
If you don't run you rust

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:Well, first half was as advertised.
Congrats schlanky, you absolutely destroyed us, crushed our team's will to live. I told all of my friends that Auburn is exactly the kind of team- athletic, shot-blocking, 3-point making- that gives us fits and no one wanted to hear it. It was like last year's Texas A&M game all over again. I honestly didn't expect to survive the weekend but I also didn't expect to be humiliated. Auburn truly had no static at all on this night

In my lifetime it seems like we've been knocked out of the tournament by half of the SEC- off the top of my head: Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, A&M (both from when they were in SWC and SEC). Arkansas has knocked us out twice but that was before they joined the SEC

My cat MacGruber is the only one in the house who is happy, he always roots for the cat mascots :lol:

Go Hulkies!!!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Congrats schlanky, you absolutely destroyed us, crushed our team's will to live. I told all of my friends that Auburn is exactly the kind of team- athletic, shot-blocking, 3-point making- that gives us fits and no one wanted to hear it. It was like last year's Texas A&M game all over again. I honestly didn't expect to survive the weekend but I also didn't expect to be humiliated. Auburn truly had no static at all on this night

My cat MacGruber is the only one in the house who is happy, he always roots for the cat mascots :lol:

Go Hulkies!!!

I was hopeful after the two Tennessee games and Kansas, but being completely honest, I didn't think Auburn could hang with the Tar Heels. Coming in, UNCs strengths negated many of Auburn's. I told my wife after the first half that if Auburn kept that intensity in the 2nd half and lost a close one, I'd be OK with it.

Losing Okeke may be the end of the road for us. The Pearl and Harper interviews after the game look like they know he's out going forward. And respect to the Tar Heel players who approached him as he was leaving and Roy's comments after the game. Hopefully, Purifoy can step into the role. I'm hoping for Kentucky in the next game for a motivator. We played UK twice this year---first game, Harper had a would-be game-winning layup roll out at the buzzer. The last game Auburn lost was at Rupp on Feb 23rd ---we lost by 27. I'd rather have a chance to avenge that (win or lose, they're historically by far the best team in our conference) than play Houston.

Sounds like MacGruber is pretty cool unless he likes Clemson or LSU or Kentucky. I'll grant him Kansas State, but I expect Iowan will have issues with that.

/drunk post, not used to winning at basketball
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:Sounds like MacGruber is pretty cool unless....
There is no unless

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

schlanky wrote:Sounds like MacGruber is pretty cool unless....
There is no unless

Agreed. He's got his own superhero mask.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:A championship-level team that survives a big scare in the tournament, as they did against UCF last Sunday, often goes on to win it all.
And now they survive another one when Coolio misses a great look from 6 inches at the buzzer :roll: :roll: :roll: I would say it's unbelievable but at this point it's par for the course. Crown 'em

whatwouldcooleydo?

This is one of the most hilarious takes I've seen in a while. It's on a Deadspin post regarding tonight's Warriors/Timberwolves game (posted here because of the first few words)

https://deadspin.com/steph-curry-taunts ... 1833683487

Sad/Angry Virginia Tech fan after the Duke game here... I don’t have anything meaningful to say but fuck both these teams, fuck referees, fuck the owners of these teams, fuck San Francisco and Silicon Valley in general, fuck the NFL while I’m at it, fuck the raiders and warriors for leaving Oakland, fuck Jon gruden, fuck Sean McVay and all his “ass eating”(Barry switzers words) loyalists, fuck Mcvays perma-5 o’clock shadow, fuck MLB,fuck all MLB owners especially the Ricketts and that asshole who owns the Marlins, fuck Anaheim for keeping Trout from being a winner, fuck the rally monkey who probably died years ago, fuck Bryce Harper for being Bryce Harper, fuck Bryce harper’s Williamsburg, Brooklyn flannel hipster beard, fuck philly, fuck Carson wentz, fuck trout for loving philly, fuck nick foles even though that’d be extremely painful for me, fuck the NCAA for making billions on the backs of “student-athletes”, fuck Duke except for Zion, fuck Coach K, fuck Texas a&m for probably taking buzz Williams from the Hokies bc they can afford to and lastly fuck you, fuck you, YOUR COOL, fuck you. I’m out.

only thing missing from that rant is "Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?"

^^^
shout out to tinnitus, who thinks the same spelling-challenged human makes 99.5% of all memes. :lol:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

nice win by Auburn. Charles Barkley is happy & that's a good thing!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

VA Tech kid could’ve dunked it. Not sure why he felt he only had time to tip it
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:VA Tech kid could’ve dunked it. Not sure why he felt he only had time to tip it
Indeed. They couldn’t have asked for a better look. The play was perfectly executed.... except for one key component :roll:

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Looks like I got my wish for Kentucky. Hope I don't regret it.

SO, No Static, who does MacGruber pull for when two cat teams play each other? Does he have some system of picking, or is it just "may the best cat win?"
Let the outside air in

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

gonzaga chokes again....

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:SO, No Static, who does MacGruber pull for when two cat teams play each other? Does he have some system of picking, or is it just "may the best cat win?"
May the best cat win. It's a win/win for him ;)

right now he's sleeping hard in the sun, saving everything up for game time