College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Iowan wrote:https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2015 ... 12-coaches

WWCD, your coach/player look alikes reminded me of this now dated classic. Trent Johnson as a fighting Komodo dragon will never not be funny.
Good stuff, I forgot Johnson was ever at TCU
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:UW Huskies pooped the bed yesterday. Hope they get an at large spot in the tournament.
Looks like they’ll get in. Just looked at 4 different bracketologies and they were seeded between 8 and 11 on the 4

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:I’m going to need to lie down for an hour or twelve after that game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old salt’s clearly an Auburn fan ;)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We have a 1 seed that didn’t win any kind of conference title, but completely deserved it.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:We have a 1 seed that didn’t win any kind of conference title, but completely deserved it.
What do you mean? We were co-champs of regular season. I have been told that is supposed to matter :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:We have a 1 seed that didn’t win any kind of conference title, but completely deserved it.
What do you mean? We were co-champs of regular season. I have been told that is supposed to matter :lol:
Who got the 1 seed in Charlotte? Wasn’t that UVA?

Regular season champions are just Great Plains tomfoolery.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Can't for the life of me figure out how Ohio State deserved a bid
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
Who got the 1 seed in Charlotte? Wasn’t that UVA?

Regular season champions are just Great Plains tomfoolery.
Glad you finally saw the light :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Can't for the life of me figure out how Ohio State deserved a bid
Same here

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Can't for the life of me figure out how Ohio State deserved a bid
Let's hope they prove it on Friday.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

As miserable as today was, I like Tennessee’s draw and am excited for next weekend. Now onto my favorite March tradition: spending as much time at work as possible hiding and poring over brackets.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:As miserable as today was, I like Tennessee’s draw and am excited for next weekend. Now onto my favorite March tradition: spending as much time at work as possible hiding and poring over brackets.
Our bracket is a motherfuckin’ gauntlet
:x

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:As miserable as today was, I like Tennessee’s draw and am excited for next weekend. Now onto my favorite March tradition: spending as much time at work as possible hiding and poring over brackets.
Glad Tennessee avoided that region. Can’t complain too much about our’s, though I’d like to avoid playing Cincinnati in what could likely be a very anti-UT crowd in Columbus, OH in the 2nd round.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just for old times sake, other than money, what the fuck is the point of the conference championships, or, if there is a point to them, wtf is the point of the regular season? I really would like to be more interested in college bball before the tournament but I just don't see the point. Whatever. Coming off a third place, in the money finish in my pool last season I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can follow that up w/ something substantial .

Did see parts of several games this wkend because I'm traveling and spending more than my usual amount of time in bars, and did see Iowa St take down Kansas :) Congrats Iowan.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I agree (if I'm reading you correctly) that its silly that a 3 day conference tournament trumps a 30+ game season when it comes to auto-bids. I get that the conference tourneys give mediocre teams a marginal chance at upsetting their way into the dance, but the mid-major and small school regular season champs regularly get screwed out of their shot

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Just for old times sake, other than money, what the fuck is the point of the conference championships, or, if there is a point to them, wtf is the point of the regular season? I really would like to be more interested in college bball before the tournament but I just don't see the point. Whatever. Coming off a third place, in the money finish in my pool last season I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can follow that up w/ something substantial .

Did see parts of several games this wkend because I'm traveling and spending more than my usual amount of time in bars, and did see Iowa St take down Kansas :) Congrats Iowan.
Do you feel the same re: NBA?

Perhaps you just aren’t a college basketball fan. You are BC, it makes sense

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:Just for old times sake, other than money, what the fuck is the point of the conference championships, or, if there is a point to them, wtf is the point of the regular season? I really would like to be more interested in college bball before the tournament but I just don't see the point. Whatever. Coming off a third place, in the money finish in my pool last season I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can follow that up w/ something substantial .

I don't get the NBA thing. There isn't a "Central Division Tournament" to determine who goes to the playoffs. The regular season means something in terms of who is in/out and where they are seeded

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Check out the “Conference tournaments” section of the article linked below for evidence that this year’s conference tournament results did not affect the committee as much as one might have thought.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ers-losers
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Bill in CT wrote:Check out the “Conference tournaments” section of the article linked below for evidence that this year’s conference tournament results did not affect the committee as much as one might have thought.

Haven't read that specific article yet, but have seen a few others that make the same point, at least for the tournament finals that were held on Sunday. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the Big Ten schedules its conference championship for late Sunday afternoon. (I assume its all about the TV $$$.) That can do nothing but screw the two teams playing in it.

Painful to lost to MSU for the third time in a month. In each game, we've had the lead at half and figured out a way to lose.

I have no sympathy for MSU, but it got screwed by the committee. They are ranked by the committee as the second strongest #2 seed but ended up in the same region as Duke, the overall #1 seed. The good thing is that if the seeding holds and those teams play in the elite eight, one of them has to lose. :D

I certainly can't complain about Michigan's bracket with Gonzaga as #1 and Texas Tech as #3. I know both are solid teams but both are beatable. On the other hand, a potential round of 32 match-up with Nevada freaks me out.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

hope to see NC next Sunday. we can have some nice trash talking & banter! :D

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I agree (if I'm reading you correctly) that its silly that a 3 day conference tournament trumps a 30+ game season when it comes to auto-bids. I get that the conference tourneys give mediocre teams a marginal chance at upsetting their way into the dance, but the mid-major and small school regular season champs regularly get screwed out of their shot
That's on the committee, IMO. They could have put a mid-major that won their regular season title in over an Ohio State or an Oklahoma.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

WWCD and Sterling will like my bracket. Chuck will not.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Bill in CT wrote:Check out the “Conference tournaments” section of the article linked below for evidence that this year’s conference tournament results did not affect the committee as much as one might have thought.

The conference tournaments, at least the ones that finish on Sunday like the SEC and Big 10, never matter. I remember in 2016, UK tied with Texas A&M for best regular season record in the SEC, then beat Texas A&M in the finals of the SEC Tourney and ended up a worse seed. The committee chairman was asked about it later that evening and basically said the bracket was already done before that game was even played, so it had no bearing.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:

The conference tournaments, at least the ones that finish on Sunday like the SEC and Big 10, never matter. I remember in 2016, UK tied with Texas A&M for best regular season record in the SEC, then beat Texas A&M in the finals of the SEC Tourney and ended up a worse seed. The committee chairman was asked about it later that evening and basically said the bracket was already done before that game was even played, so it had no bearing.
We've improved our seeding with conference tournament titles many times. This year was one of the few times it didn't seem to help us. In 2017 we played out of the 7 seed and into a 5, based off where Lunardi had us.

I also think UT would have been a 1 seed if they had beaten Auburn.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:I agree (if I'm reading you correctly) that its silly that a 3 day conference tournament trumps a 30+ game season when it comes to auto-bids. I get that the conference tourneys give mediocre teams a marginal chance at upsetting their way into the dance, but the mid-major and small school regular season champs regularly get screwed out of their shot
Each conference gets to choose how its auto-bid is awarded. They can give it to the school with the best regular season record if they want to. There is no mandate saying that the auto-bid has to go to the winner of the conference tournament.
However, if a league gives its bid to team with best regular season record, then there is no need for a conference tournament and all that money that comes with it.... and therein lies the crux of the biscuit

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
That's on the committee, IMO. They could have put a mid-major that won their regular season title in over an Ohio State or an Oklahoma.
Has anyone done the math to see just how many mid-major and small school regular season champs are getting regularly screwed? I would be really interested to see how often this happens. I know it sucks to be Lipscomb and Campbell but if I had to guess one way or the other, I would say that such cases are exceptions and not the rule. Then again, I could be wrong as hell.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:I don't get the NBA thing. There isn't a "Central Division Tournament" to determine who goes to the playoffs. The regular season means something in terms of who is in/out and where they are seeded
the regular college season means something as well: a team plays and gets seeded in its tournament based on its record. If a team plays shitty all year and is the last seed in its league, they'll play the best team and in a majority of the time they will lose to the best team and be done. There are exceptions, of course, such as UMBC last year, but for the most part it shakes out.

Bottom line, as with all things, this system is imperfect. I think it works far more often than it doesn't, but that's just me. If one is looking for a 100% perfect system, well, good luck finding it

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:
Has anyone done the math to see just how many mid-major and small school regular season champs are getting regularly screwed? I would be really interested to see how often this happens. I know it sucks to be Lipscomb and Campbell but if I had to guess one way or the other, I would say that such cases are exceptions and not the rule. Then again, I could be wrong as hell.
It seems like every year there are 2-3 schools that were crap most of the year and won their tournament. The teams on the 16 line are usually hovering around .500 (and sometimes even worse).

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:It seems like every year there are 2-3 schools that were crap most of the year and won their tournament. The teams on the 16 line are usually hovering around .500 (and sometimes even worse).
Let's say you are 100% right. Are 2-3 schools out of 64 (68) indicative of a system that is egregiously flawed to the point of needing an overhaul? I say "no"

When you get down to the 16 line, sometimes you'll see an entire league of teams hovering around .500. They are conferences that 16 seeds for a reason ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

posted this on phone last night while having 2 separate conversations, forgot the :lol: :lol: :lol:

just wanted to be clear