College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by Iowan »

Mr. B wrote:

That was a fun weekend, played 3 really solid games in a row. Ironically, our most difficult game was the first round game against Iowa, which went to OT.

If you had told me a month ago that we would be ranked 7 right now, ahead of UNC and Kansas among others, I would have told you to lay off the brownies for a while.

My answer to your question is "I don't know." Having so much time off before the tournament is uncharted territory for all but the small conference teams. We are running on all cylinders right now, so I would prefer we keep playing before we cool off. On the other hand, a week off to rest and heal has to help. So i don't know.
Just don't do what we did in 2015. Saw some of the Michigan State and Purdue games. You guys are on fire right now.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

anytime I watch a game with Dan Dakich on the mic. I reflect on just what I could have done to deserve such a cruel and unusual punishment :roll: :roll: :roll:

He is the fuckin' worst
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

random thoughts

(1) damn, that BC/NCSU game earlier was entertaining as hell. Congrats to BC and Bubba on a big win

(2) Should OU lose to OSU today, which would result in them going (I think) 4-11 in their last 15, I just don't see them getting into the tournament, and if they do, I call major BS

(3) In many ways I think I enjoy conference tournaments even more than I do the NCAA. It's an orgy of hoops for over a week, teams and conferences that rarely see nationwide TV are televised, and it's a blast to immerse myself in leagues in which I have no dog in the fight, enabling me to just enjoy the ride! For some odd reason each year I look forward to and really enjoy the MVC and OVC tournaments (don't ask me why those two, cause I don't know why, but they really grab me).

(4) speaking of smaller conferences, I really wish there was another option to hosting the tournament on the #1 seed's home court. I totally understand why, and off the top of my head I can't offer a better option, but still wish there was another way. That said, it didn't help my hometown UNCA Bulldogs, who didn't even make the final of their tournament

(5) watched the WCC tournament final last night, in which dookie V and his partner indicated that both Gonzaga and BYU might be looking to bolt the league. According to them- no idea if it was anything more than speculation- both schools may be looking to join the Mountain West

whatwouldcooleydo?

Who Killed Pitt Basketball?

just yesterday I wondered how Pitt hoops had fallen so far so fast, and then this morning this popped up

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Season's officially over. Time to put that dog to bed.

It felt like paying dues for the last 6 years.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Who Killed Pitt Basketball?

just yesterday I wondered how Pitt hoops had fallen so far so fast, and then this morning this popped up
Kevin Stallings sacked after just two years. Now he can go back to working at Dunder-Mifflin and playing drums in Scrantonicity

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anytime I watch a game with Dan Dakich on the mic. I reflect on just what I could have done to deserve such a cruel and unusual punishment :roll: :roll: :roll:

He is the fuckin' worst
just read this comment online- it ain't just me!

Dakich is a boob who has nothing interesting to say. If I go to hell and there is somehow college basketball on, he will be announcing every game with Dick Vitale and Bob Knight, and Duke will be beating a team composed of everyone I ever loved.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

[quote="whatwouldcooleydo?"]random thoughts

(3) In many ways I think I enjoy conference tournaments even more than I do the NCAA. It's an orgy of hoops for over a week, teams and conferences that rarely see nationwide TV are televised, and it's a blast to immerse myself in leagues in which I have no dog in the fight, enabling me to just enjoy the ride! For some odd reason each year I look forward to and really enjoy the MVC and OVC tournaments (don't ask me why those two, cause I don't know why, but they really grab me).

Agree 100%, this is a very underrated week for hoops. Two great endings this afternoon on last second shots. My favorite small conference is the Horizon, because i grew up a big University of Detroit fan as I lived about a mile from the campus. Dickie V was the coach there for several years when I was a kid, before he went to the Pistons. And, for the record, I think Dan Dakich is a better commentator than Dickie V. I'm probably the only person on earth who actually enjoys watching him.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Last minute or so of Butler/Seton Hall was pretty crazy, total back and forth knockout punches. Didn’t hurt a bit having Gus Johnson on the mic..... THE BUTLER DID IT!!! :lol:

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Mr. B wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:random thoughts

Agree 100%, this is a very underrated week for hoops. Two great endings this afternoon on last second shots. My favorite small conference is the Horizon, because i grew up a big University of Detroit fan as I lived about a mile from the campus. Dickie V was the coach there for several years when I was a kid, before he went to the Pistons. And, for the record, I think Dan Dakich is a better commentator than Dickie V. I'm probably the only person on earth who actually enjoys watching him.
When Dakich sticks to just calling the game and not trying to be a troll like he is on his radio show, I think he's one of, if not the best, college announcers.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

The SEC Tournament being in St. Louis is just baffling to me. The only school it’s even semi-close to is Missouri, and it’s still a decent little drive for them. Obviously I’m biased, but Nashville or Memphis seems to be a pretty natural location for it.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

things said by commentators that drive me nuts:

score the ball

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:things said by commentators that drive me nuts:

score the ball

So will it be the Wolverines and Tar Heels in the sweet 16? We are a different team than when you guys beat the snot out of us in December.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

As a UT grad/MTSU season ticket holder, today is Christmas in March with Kermit Davis taking the Ole Miss job.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:things said by commentators that drive me nuts:

score the ball

So will it be the Wolverines and Tar Heels in the sweet 16? We are a different team than when you guys beat the snot out of us in December.
It certainly should be Heels and Wolverines, at least I see it that way, though I've seen more than a few pundits picking us to lose to Providence in second round. Assuming we do beat PC, virtually every pundit (at least ESPN and CBS Sports, only places I've really paid attention) has us losing to you. Michigan is an extremely trendy pick to win the West- the few picks that aren't Michigan have Gonzaga winning the West. Heels aren't getting any love at all, so I guess all the experts know something I don't. Funny thing is that virtually no one seems to give Xavier a shot to make the Final Four.

Bottom line, I am hoping for a repeat of the 1993 tournament result, not the 1989 tournament result :lol: Good luck and keep a firm count of your timeouts :o

As Coach Smith would say, I just hope we don't embarrass ourselves

whatwouldcooleydo?

I think that any team that wins its conference automatic bid, regardless of the conference, should not have to play in the First Four. Period.

What say y'all???

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I think that any team that wins its conference automatic bid, regardless of the conference, should not have to play in the First Four. Period.

What say y'all???
I somewhat agree. It should be the place for bubble power conference schools, like last night's game.

Speaking of which, am I the only one with a gut feeling that Syracuse is going to pull another bullshit run out of their ass?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I think that any team that wins its conference automatic bid, regardless of the conference, should not have to play in the First Four. Period.

What say y'all???
I somewhat agree. It should be the place for bubble power conference schools, like last night's game.

Speaking of which, am I the only one with a gut feeling that Syracuse is going to pull another bullshit run out of their ass?
Seems in recent years that they always sleepwalk through the regular season, are gifted an at-large berth, and then refuse to quietly lose in the first round like they should
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:

What say y'all???

Seems in recent years that they always sleepwalk through the regular season, are gifted an at-large berth, and then refuse to quietly lose in the first round like they should
Exactly. Seems like they're mimicking that pattern again.

Anyone know the farthest a play-in team has made it?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:Anyone know the farthest a play-in team has made it?
VCU to the Final Four

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:

What say y'all???

Sure looks like we could be going down that road......again :roll:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
VCU to the Final Four
Didn't realize they were play in that year.

Thanks.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
VCU to the Final Four
Didn't realize they were play in that year.

Thanks.
That year, 2011, was the first year for the First Four

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Rhode Island really just has too much UNC in their color scheme/unis/mascot.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:Rhode Island really just has too much UNC in their color scheme/unis/mascot.
My mother-in-law lives pretty close to the URI campus

Hopefully all that UNC mojo will help URI should they make it to the next round to face dook

whatwouldcooleydo?

I didn’t know that Cheryl Miller’s little brother played basketball

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:Rhode Island really just has too much UNC in their color scheme/unis/mascot.

Hopefully all that UNC mojo will help URI should they make it to the next round to face dook
Wow, URI did it.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Wow, URI did it.
Oklahoma was fucking trash down the back stretch of the season. They shouldn't have gotten in. OK State should have taken their place.

The Trae Young hoopla was the only reason they got a bid.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Nice, I had Loyola-Chicago in my bracket. Think I'm perfect so far, though I would have been more than happy for UNCG to have beaten Gonzaga and cost me that pick. Being perfect up to this game is no big deal, as the OU/URI game is probably the only loss for many people

I'm probably gonna lose at least one of the two games ongoing at the moment, as I picked NC State and South Dakota State. Both are being beaten pretty solidly as I type