College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks to "the committee" for making the UConn women a #2 seed. That extra incentive really helps when you're a team so bad as to lose 2 games during the regular season.

Note to the boys: The women can make foul shots, why can't you? The points count just as much you know.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I need some nerve pills.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I can't believe it.
Let the outside air in

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

great early game. i don't like either team in the second game. hopefully will be entertaining at least.

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:I can't believe it.
Congrats! Y'all are having that "team of destiny" moment for sure- barely survive a game you should have lost to NMSU and then go on to beat Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky. Impressive stuff

If I were wearing a hat I would tip it in your general direction

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

When the game went to overtime, I had a feeling that it was going to end badly---Kentucky is used to that kind of pressure in those situations and half our team was about to foul out.

With the caliber of teams in that bracket, I can't believe Auburn survived it.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:When the game went to overtime, I had a feeling that it was going to end badly---Kentucky is used to that kind of pressure in those situations and half our team was about to foul out.

With the caliber of teams in that bracket, I can't believe Auburn survived it.
I hear ya.

That said, if you guys had just a little discipline with respect to shot selection you'd have won somewhat easily in regulation. I had nothing invested at all but your shot selection was killing me. Can't imagine what it was like for you

#doitforTheRifleman :P :P :P

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
That said, if you guys had just a little discipline with respect to shot selection you'd have won somewhat easily in regulation. I had nothing invested at all but your shot selection was killing me. Can't imagine what it was like for you
We've had questionable shot selection all season long. It's killed me so many times that I hardly notice anymore. Just when you're getting annoyed about it, they start hitting them (except for today)----it's only a bad selection if you miss it. I think some of it today was Kentucky's defense was so tight that they were pushing shots. And Auburn definitely missed Okeke--the guys filling in for him are about on par with his defense, but they don't have his shooting ability.

Pearl gave Harper some good-natured hell at the post-game press conference about him passing to Spencer instead of finding a way to get it to Brown at the end of regulation.
Let the outside air in

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

schlanky wrote:I can't believe it.
Congrats, you guys deserved it. Hope you bring home the big hardware.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I hope Auburn completes this miracle run and finds a way to win it all. With Zion out it seems like Bruce Pearl and his depleted squad are the biggest story left. I still love Pearl from his UT days, though I’m sure the NCAA would hate to see a coach mired in scandal to win it all.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I have little doubt Auburn is going to have to vacate this run eventually. It's just too ingrained into Bruce Pearl's fabric.

I have Tech and UVA both in the Final 4, so that turned out. Not sure if I'm rooting for Tech (go Big 12) or not (don't need another elite program in the league). Chris Beard is a hell of a coach.

Also, death, taxes, and Izzo in the Final 4.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

rlipps wrote:Congrats, you guys deserved it. Hope you bring home the big hardware.
Many thanks. It was a hell of a game. Not looking forward to facing Kentucky next year with all those guys a year older.
Let the outside air in

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Auburn is the team I'd least want to play at this point.

I also think it's interesting after how dominant the ACC and SEC were throughout the year, that we have 4 of the 5 P5 conferences represented in the Final Four, and all by a team that either won the tournament or regular season title. Makes for an interesting Final 4, IMO.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:
rlipps wrote:Congrats, you guys deserved it. Hope you bring home the big hardware.
Many thanks. It was a hell of a game. Not looking forward to facing Kentucky next year with all those guys a year older.
Kentucky is going to have upperclassmen next year? How did that happen?
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Congrats! Y'all are having that "team of destiny" moment for sure- barely survive a game you should have lost to NMSU and then go on to beat Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky. Impressive stuff

If I were wearing a hat I would tip it in your general direction
x2

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

First Final Four since (I think) the mid-80's to not include one of Duke, UNC, UCLA, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas or Indiana
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

This is not addressed to anyone here but speaking in general:

So tired of all the whining about how chalk this tournament was and how few buzzer beaters there were. To me those are akin to those who watch the Super Bowl for the commercials: they aren't really fans of the sport, they just want to be entertained and to able to participate in water-cooler talk. The Elite 8 this year was about as good as one could ever ask for, and if that wasn't enough then nothing will be enough.

OK, some bits and bobs

(1) despite what he wants everyone to think, Jim Nantz is not my friend

(2) Worst part of the NCAA Tournament? Without question it is the abomination known as One Shining Moment

(3) Prepare yourself for all the talk of how this Final Four is redemption for MSU after the Larry Nasser tragedy. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, but this disgusting narrative is probably already being pimped in sports media across the country as I type

(4) pretty funny that a big part of dook's demise at the end of the game was due to the friendly referees not calling enough fouls on dook. Be careful of what you ask for :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:Not sure if I'm rooting for Tech (go Big 12) or not (don't need another elite program in the league).
a 2-year run of success gets you elite status these days?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:Not sure if I'm rooting for Tech (go Big 12) or not (don't need another elite program in the league).
a 2-year run of success gets you elite status these days?
No. But I think Chris Beard is a really fucking good coach and if he stays in Lubbock, they'll stay at this level. No other program in Texas gets the fan support they do, and with their football program floundering the last half a decade, they seem primed to put some serious resources into their basketball program.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Just read that Kentucky is offering Calipari a lifetime deal. Supposedly he had been in contact with UCLA about their job and had been offered $48 million over 6 years

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2641 ... -life-deal

At this point, WHY WOULD CALIPARI EVEN THINK OF LEAVING KENTUCKY FOR UCLA???

Here's a nugget from the article linked above:

One of the issues UCLA has run into during its coaching search, sources told ESPN, is its lack of charter flights. In a stark contrast to nearly every high-major program, the Bruins have always flown commercial, even in recent years under Steve Alford. The school began mixing in charter flights during Pac-12 play this season.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:At this point, WHY WOULD CALIPARI EVEN THINK OF LEAVING KENTUCKY FOR UCLA?
I don't know how serious this is but to the extent Calipari is considering it the answer must be the lure of the bright lights and everything that goes w/ being a fairly big celebrity in a big town, everything from endorsement opportunities to media exposure to business opportunities to starlets to potentially greater recruiting opportunities to who knows what. But I don't know if Calipari realizes the difference between being THE MAN and being A Man Among Many. If he just wants to coach basketball and be considered a god he'd be nuts to leave KY.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:At this point, WHY WOULD CALIPARI EVEN THINK OF LEAVING KENTUCKY FOR UCLA?
I don't know how serious this is but to the extent Calipari is considering it the answer must be the lure of the bright lights and everything that goes w/ being a fairly big celebrity in a big town, everything from endorsement opportunities to media exposure to business opportunities to starlets to potentially greater recruiting opportunities to who knows what. But I don't know if Calipari realizes the difference between being THE MAN and being A Man Among Many. If he just wants to coach basketball and be considered a god he'd be nuts to leave KY.
I could see the appeal to his ego from bringing a moribund, once-great program back to prominence, but there is no guarantee of success. At Kentucky success is a given, so long as he stays out of trouble. He is only 60, so maybe he’s up for a huge challenge. I think he would be crazy to do it but I also thought Buffalo was gonna beat Texas Tech, so what the fuck do I know?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:So tired of all the whining about how chalk this tournament was and how few buzzer beaters there were. To me those are akin to those who watch the Super Bowl for the commercials: they aren't really fans of the sport, they just want to be entertained and to able to participate in water-cooler talk. The Elite 8 this year was about as good as one could ever ask for, and if that wasn't enough then nothing will be enough.
From the WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ost&wpmm=1

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:This is not addressed to anyone here but speaking in general:

So tired of all the whining about how chalk this tournament was and how few buzzer beaters there were. To me those are akin to those who watch the Super Bowl for the commercials: they aren't really fans of the sport, they just want to be entertained and to able to participate in water-cooler talk. The Elite 8 this year was about as good as one could ever ask for, and if that wasn't enough then nothing will be enough.

OK, some bits and bobs

(1) despite what he wants everyone to think, Jim Nantz is not my friend

(2) Worst part of the NCAA Tournament? Without question it is the abomination known as One Shining Moment

(3) Prepare yourself for all the talk of how this Final Four is redemption for MSU after the Larry Nasser tragedy. Of course nothing could be further from the truth, but this disgusting narrative is probably already being pimped in sports media across the country as I type

(4) pretty funny that a big part of dook's demise at the end of the game was due to the friendly referees not calling enough fouls on dook. Be careful of what you ask for :lol:
I’m with you on most of these points, however I REFUSE to ignore the One Shining Moment slander. One of my favorite cheesy moments of the sports year.*

*except when it includes a heartbreaking Tennessee loss, which it seems to do all too often
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

glad Calapari isn't sliming his way into the pac 12. conference is down but his special charms aren't what it needs.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

chuckrh wrote:glad Calapari isn't sliming his way into the pac 12. conference is down but his special charms aren't what it needs.
Yeah, cause the rest of college basketball is a bastion of purity lol.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I hadn't seen Virginia play this season; that defense is as good as advertised.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Well, that's a fucking heartbreaker.

If any Hoos are around here. Congrats. Good game.
Let the outside air in

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Thanks, Bruce Pearl and Barkley classy in loss. What a game.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

ramonz wrote:Thanks, Bruce Pearl and Barkley classy in loss. What a game.
I turned the TV off right after the game, so I didn't see postgame stuff.

Virginia's defense was spectacular. Hope we meet again.
Let the outside air in