College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:It’s gonna be a long, long, insufferable season :cry:
Dook looked awesome last night, so I understand your tears.
Them being great and a prohibitive favorite to win it all isn't even the issue-- I've lived through them winning 5 championships (hell, lived in Chapel Hill and worked in Durham, a mile from their infernal campus, when they won back-to-back in 91 & 92) and being pretty much THE program for well over 2-plus decades. I survived Laettner, for god's sake :lol: I long ago realized that they were here to stay. So, while I don't like it, it's nothing new. I know that if I have a regular life expectancy I'm gonna likely see them hang several more banners, and it's not something that, at this point in my life, is causing me all that much grief. It sucks ass but there is way worse shit to deal with...... I can't believe I just said that, but it's true.

The thing with this team is the ungodly level of hype they have gotten for well over a year. Once all those current freshman signed letters of intent it's been hype at an insane level, to the point that people who don't even follow/know much about college hoops know about Zion Williamson and this team and are yappin' about it. Add in dookie V and ESPN and the regular dook bootlickers and others like Steve Kerr (who is calling Williamson the new LeBron) and the volume is WAY past 11. And after last night, it's only gonna get louder
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:It’s gonna be a long, long, insufferable season :cry:
Dook looked awesome last night, so I understand your tears.
Them being great and a prohibitive favorite to win it all isn't even the issue-- I've lived through them winning 5 championships (hell, lived in Chapel Hill and worked in Durham, a mile from their infernal campus, when they won back-to-back in 91 & 92) and being pretty much THE program for well over 2-plus decades. I survived Laettner, for god's sake :lol: I long ago realized that they were here to stay. So, while I don't like it, it's nothing new. I know that if I have a regular life expectancy I'm gonna likely see them hang several more banners, and it's not something that, at this point in my life, is causing me all that much grief. It sucks ass but there is way worse shit to deal with...... I can't believe I just said that, but it's true.

The thing with this team is the ungodly level of hype they have gotten for well over a year. Once all those current freshman signed letters of intent it's been hype at an insane level, to the point that people who don't even follow/know much about college hoops know about Zion Williamson and this team and are yappin' about it. Add in dookie V and ESPN and the regular dook bootlickers and others like Steve Kerr (who is calling Williamson the new LeBron) and the volume is WAY past 11. And after last night, it's only gonna get louder
The good news is that all those freshmen will be gone next year
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:The good news is that all those freshmen will be gone next year
We've got that goin' for us, which is nice ;)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think we’ve got a nice little squad. Sneaky good backcourt.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Vols might have one of the quietest top 10 squads in recent memory. Rick Barnes has assembled by far my favorite team since the golden years of Bruce Pearl.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:it's been hype at an insane level, to the point that people who don't even follow/know much about college hoops know about Zion Williamson and this team and are yappin' about it.
I have a friend who knows absolutely nothing about college hoops other than it exists. He is a baseball fan and not the least bit interested in/informed about other sports. Last night he texted this to me:

Is that Duke team really that good?I

:roll: :roll: :roll:

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:(Friend asked): Is that Duke team really that good?
I haven't seen Duke play this year, but the inventory manager at work keeps talking about how great they are (again) this season.

In the span of 5 days, Auburn plays the # 1 team in basketball and the # 1 team in football.

I don't feel good about either one.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

heading to Las Vegas for this two-day tournament, Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational. On Thursday my Heels play Texas and Michigan State plays UCLA. On Friday we get winners/winners & losers/losers. My level of excitement is greatly diminished from the fire situation here, to the point that I asked my wife for us to blow it off and stay home. She issued a firm veto on that, so we'll be there. Will report from the field if possible

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We're down literally 4 likely starters (2 to injury, 2 to suspension) and had Arizona on the ropes all night in Maui. Got gassed, which lead to poor shot selection and missing defensive rotations, and blew a 10 point lead in the second half.

Got Illinois up in a couple of hours.

I'm pretty excited to see what these guys can do when Wigginton, Lard, Young, and Talley are back in the line up.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I haven't followed college basketball in quite a few years but it is hard to live in the city of Memphis right now and not be very excited about Memphis Tigers basketball. Penny Hardaway and staff are absolutely mopping up on the recruiting trail. Today the number one recruit in the country, who happens to be a Memphis kid, committed to U of M and local radio hosts and other media seem to think that's the tip of the iceberg.
We'll see how this season turns out, but the next few years should be a lot of fun.

And there is some star power on the coaching staff. One of Penny's assistants is Mike Miller who played two stints with the Grizzlies and chose to live here after he retired.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:I haven't followed college basketball in quite a few years but it is hard to live in the city of Memphis right now and not be very excited about Memphis Tigers basketball. Penny Hardaway and staff are absolutely mopping up on the recruiting trail. Today the number one recruit in the country, who happens to be a Memphis kid, committed to U of M and local radio hosts and other media seem to think that's the tip of the iceberg.
We'll see how this season turns out, but the next few years should be a lot of fun.

And there is some star power on the coaching staff. One of Penny's assistants is Mike Miller who played two stints with the Grizzlies and chose to live here after he retired.
Landing the local kid is one thing, but if they start bringing in national studs you can be sure a suspension won't be far behind. That's just the way it is. Too much money chasing too few kids w/ a lot of adult careers on the line.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

We got got by UT

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:We got got by UT
Vegas is a good place to drown your sorrow.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:We got got by UT
Vegas is a good place to drown your sorrow.

In just over two hours we get UCLA in the losers bracket

whatwouldcooleydo?

This game was very similar to our loss to A&M in tournament last season. While this wasn’t a humiliating asswhoopin’ like that one was, it had the same feel, with athletic bigs on the opposition making Luke Maye and our other bigs obsolete. Seemed like TX blocked at least 10 of our shots right at the rim. The Roach kid from TX having the game of his life didn’t help

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Gonzaga sure looked mighty on Wednesday. Not to mention the flying Catholic girls of Spokane!

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:This game was very similar to our loss to A&M in tournament last season. While this wasn’t a humiliating asswhoopin’ like that one was, it had the same feel, with athletic bigs on the opposition making Luke Maye and our other bigs obsolete. Seemed like TX blocked at least 10 of our shots right at the rim. The Roach kid from TX having the game of his life didn’t help
Never would have thought before the season started that Michigan would be favored (by 2) over UNC tomorrow night. We've looked really good so far -- a bit small, but far more athletic than our usual teams and playing smart. And Beilein can coach. Haven't seen much of UNC yet this year to know how we match up, but I expect a hell of a game.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:This game was very similar to our loss to A&M in tournament last season. While this wasn’t a humiliating asswhoopin’ like that one was, it had the same feel, with athletic bigs on the opposition making Luke Maye and our other bigs obsolete. Seemed like TX blocked at least 10 of our shots right at the rim. The Roach kid from TX having the game of his life didn’t help
Never would have thought before the season started that Michigan would be favored (by 2) over UNC tomorrow night. We've looked really good so far -- a bit small, but far more athletic than our usual teams and playing smart. And Beilein can coach. Haven't seen much of UNC yet this year to know how we match up, but I expect a hell of a game.
After what I saw live for 2 games in Las Vegas, I expect to get thumped. You guys are measurably better than Texas and UCLA. We played one good half out of the four I saw, second half against Bruins, and it is anyone’s guess as to whether UCLA is any good

After Michigan, our next four games are Gonzaga, Davidson, Harvard, and Kentucky (not sure if that is correct order) :roll:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I haven't been this pleasantly surprised by an ISU team in a long time. Down 4 starters, sitting at 6-1 with 2 wins over high major opponents, and getting 2 of the 4 back next week.

This team plays incredibly unselfish basketball. Constantly passing in the half court, looking for the best shot, and hustling their ass off into their defensive rotations. They rebound well for not being huge, and the freshman class is as advertised. It's KU's world out here on the plains (and we're all just living in it), but we can be a nightmare for the other 8 schools in the Big 12.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Iowan wrote:I haven't been this pleasantly surprised by an ISU team in a long time. Down 4 starters, sitting at 6-1 with 2 wins over high major opponents, and getting 2 of the 4 back next week.

This team plays incredibly unselfish basketball. Constantly passing in the half court, looking for the best shot, and hustling their ass off into their defensive rotations. They rebound well for not being huge, and the freshman class is as advertised. It's KU's world out here on the plains (and we're all just living in it), but we can be a nightmare for the other 8 schools in the Big 12.
Can't say that I have seen many ISU games over the last few years, but from what I have seen I am always impressed with Prohm. Not sure what those suspensions are about, but he seems to be running a solid program.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Mr. B wrote:
Iowan wrote:I haven't been this pleasantly surprised by an ISU team in a long time. Down 4 starters, sitting at 6-1 with 2 wins over high major opponents, and getting 2 of the 4 back next week.

Can't say that I have seen many ISU games over the last few years, but from what I have seen I am always impressed with Prohm. Not sure what those suspensions are about, but he seems to be running a solid program.
No one really is. Lard has had a host of general behavioral issues but no one knows the specifics. Speculation is he and Talley (other suspended player) got into a brawl at practice.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Mr. B wrote:
After what I saw live for 2 games in Las Vegas, I expect to get thumped. You guys are measurably better than Texas and UCLA. We played one good half out of the four I saw, second half against Bruins, and it is anyone’s guess as to whether UCLA is any good

After Michigan, our next four games are Gonzaga, Davidson, Harvard, and Kentucky (not sure if that is correct order) :roll:

I think I enjoyed that game more than you did. Man, we are playing well, which is kind of unusual for a Beilein team -- typically, we start slow and steadily improve during the year when the new players get more comfortable with his system. There are certainly some teams with better athletes than us, but I like this team and am pretty damn optimistic going forward.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B wrote:I think I enjoyed that game more than you did. Man, we are playing well, which is kind of unusual for a Beilein team -- typically, we start slow and steadily improve during the year when the new players get more comfortable with his system. There are certainly some teams with better athletes than us, but I like this team and am pretty damn optimistic going forward.
Congrats on taking us to the woodshed! Only saw first half, thankfully. Hopefully this will be like 92-93 when you beat us in November and then we beat you in the tournament. I think by season’s end we will figure things out but regardless, I don’t see us surviving the first weekend of the tournament. This team isn't as good as last year's, UNLESS the McDonald's freshman go berserker from here out, and of course last year's team lost in 2nd round. If nothing changes I see us as a 6 or 7 seed at absolute best (hell, we may not even finish top 5 in what is an absolutely stacked ACC this year)

I like your coach, going back to his stint at WVU

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B wrote:I think I enjoyed that game more than you did. Man, we are playing well, which is kind of unusual for a Beilein team -- typically, we start slow and steadily improve during the year when the new players get more comfortable with his system. There are certainly some teams with better athletes than us, but I like this team and am pretty damn optimistic going forward.
I think you will also enjoy this article, assuming you haven't already read it

https://www.theringer.com/college-baske ... basketball

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

I hadn't seen it. Thanks for letting me know. Not surprisingly, I really enjoyed it.

I was at the Michigan - Northwestern game last night. We won by 2 when NU missed a 3 pointer at the buzzer. First game this year in which we had some really bad stretches. Good to know we can win some of the games when we don't play well. The "new" NU basketball arena (basically they kept the old shell and spent 18 months rebuilding from the bottom up) is really cool -- about 7,000 seats with an intimate feel and lots of noise.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Mr. B wrote:

I hadn't seen it. Thanks for letting me know. Not surprisingly, I really enjoyed it.

I was at the Michigan - Northwestern game last night. We won by 2 when NU missed a 3 pointer at the buzzer. First game this year in which we had some really bad stretches. Good to know we can win some of the games when we don't play well. The "new" NU basketball arena (basically they kept the old shell and spent 18 months rebuilding from the bottom up) is really cool -- about 7,000 seats with an intimate feel and lots of noise.
I don't mind smaller, more intimate arenas at all. Can really be a good atmosphere.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

This is high school basketball, not college, but I still wanted to share. Our local CBS affiliate in Hazard, KY, WYMT, sponsors has an annual basketball tournament. There have been some crazy finishes over the years, but I think this shot last night might top them all. The crazy finish to the game starts around the 4:45 mark.

https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Watch ... 40441.html

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I don't mind smaller, more intimate arenas at all. Can really be a good atmosphere.
isn't that a given?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:I don't mind smaller, more intimate arenas at all. Can really be a good atmosphere.
isn't that a given?
No.

I went to law school at Drake in Des Moines. They're a Missouri Valley bottom feeder, and their gym (the Knapp Center) is basically a high school gym. The atmosphere is shit, and there's not much of a redeeming quality other than being closer to the field of play.

Northern Iowa, where my wife went, has an awesome smaller arena that has much more charm and breeds a much better atmosphere. Even though it's small, it doesn't feel low rent or high schoolish whatsoever.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Tennessee just took down #1 Gonzaga, first win over a top ranked team since they beat Kansas in 2010!
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob