College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Excited that college basketball is back, if for no other reason than the fact Bill Walton is back calling games. When asked last night what was his only experience better than visiting Shanghai Tower? Hearing Jerry Garcia play electric guitar. :D
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I knew we'd have a rebuilding year, but we fucking BLOW.

We just lost by 20 to Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Hilton. 9 months ago we were beating KU at the Phog. What. The. Fuck.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Iowan wrote:I knew we'd have a rebuilding year, but we fucking BLOW.

We just lost by 20 to Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Hilton. 9 months ago we were beating KU at the Phog. What. The. Fuck.
Wow, you only beat Appalachian State by 6, that should be chalked up as a loss
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:I knew we'd have a rebuilding year, but we fucking BLOW.

Wow, you only beat Appalachian State by 6, that should be chalked up as a loss
I actually felt good, compared to Monday.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bill Walton (a fuckin' national treasure) calling the Heels today is something I am incredibly thankful for!!!

Sterling Bigmouth

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Bill Walton (a fuckin' national treasure) calling the Heels today is something I am incredibly thankful for!!!

Bill is hit or miss in terms of whether he delivers much insight during games, but I’ll be damned if he isn’t the most entertaining guy ESPN has. Hoping I can hear him call a Vols game sometime in the near future.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Bill Walton (a fuckin' national treasure) calling the Heels today is something I am incredibly thankful for!!!

Bill is hit or miss in terms of whether he delivers much insight during games, but I’ll be damned if he isn’t the most entertaining guy ESPN has. Hoping I can hear him call a Vols game sometime in the near future.
dude was in mid-season form today, his PNW history/geography lesson was most impressive

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I love Walton. The High King of Non Sequitur

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I love Walton. The High King of Non Sequitur
I have enormous respect for Walton for overcoming a severely debilitating stuttering issue to become the non-stop speaker he is today. When he was at UCLA his stuttering was so bad he'd go to ungodly lengths to avoid public speaking. As someone with a stutterer in my life, I know how difficult and stigmatizing stuttering is, so to get to where he is today Big Red deserves enormous props

So Oregon loses its first game in Phil Knight's tournament, and in Portland, no less. Pretty sure he's gonna literally have someone's head for this

whatwouldcooleydo?

at start of 2nd half Walton was just barking to try to give UConn a needed boost

BARKING

classic Walton

whatwouldcooleydo?

Watching Heels look bad against MSU, there is a dude sitting behind Walton wearing an awesome Wu Tang ugly Christmas sweater ;)

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Watching Heels look bad against MSU, there is a dude sitting behind Walton wearing an awesome Wu Tang ugly Christmas sweater ;)
Your boys did not have a good game. I suspect Roy will get them fired up so that they beat my Wolverines by 20 when we visit the Dean-dome on Wednesday.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Watching Heels look bad against MSU, there is a dude sitting behind Walton wearing an awesome Wu Tang ugly Christmas sweater ;)
Your boys did not have a good game. I suspect Roy will get them fired up so that they beat my Wolverines by 20 when we visit the Dean-dome on Wednesday.
Last night was the definition of gettin' beat from pillar to post. Spartans outphysicalled Heels in every facet of the game. They blocked/altered so many shots that Heels were hearing footsteps all night long- wish I had a beer for every wide open layup we bricked. Great thing about college hoops that losing to a better team in November does little more than give the coaching staff a teaching moment

I don't know squat about this year's Wolverines, so I'll be going into this game blind.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bill Walton Would Fuck You Up

make sure to watch the video :lol: :lol: :lol:

this comment made me chortle:

Kickin that bag
High on some skag
Bill Walton you’d better watch your speed
Non sequiturs ahead, verbal diarrhea behind
I think psychedelics have damaged his mind

whatwouldcooleydo?

since we don't have a high school hoops thread, this will have to do

Iowa Radio Announcers Fired After Decrying Opposing Team's "Español People"

guessing at least one of these fucks is related to Steve King :roll:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:since we don't have a high school hoops thread, this will have to do

Iowa Radio Announcers Fired After Decrying Opposing Team's "Español People"

guessing at least one of these fucks is related to Steve King :roll:
Unsurprisingly, they're in his district. Forest City is 1.5 hours straight west of me.

Eagle Grove is an hourish south of Forest City, and in a county that has embraced the Hispanic work force and welcomed the opportunity to grow their communities. They welcomed a pork processing plant (a nice way of saying slaughterhouse) when Cerro Gordo County (adjacent to Forest City) turned it down on what many in the area have pointed out as little more than thinly veiled anti-Hispanic sentiment.

The good thing is that it's forced the community to discuss this issue, and the overall trend is towards embracing people who are here because they want to better themselves. A few years ago, I doubt they would have been fired.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cyclone hoops are back tonight after a 9 day hiatus. As bad as this team started the year, they strung together a nice run. Our guys are settling into more defined roles, and we have an interesting mix of a skilled, athletic front court that lacks experience and size, and a really athletic back court with good size, but also lacks experience.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Big Ballers, indeed

love this comment:

Maybe Lavar thought it was the Balltic League?

whatwouldcooleydo?

damn, first half of Wichita State-OU is a barnburner. Tons of scoring

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:damn, first half of Wichita State-OU is a barnburner. Tons of scoring
Looks like the Sooners cooled off a little during halftime. I figured WSU would get back in it. I'm still optimistic as long as trae young plays for us. Incredible freshman

whatwouldcooleydo?

Heels playing Vols in Knoxville. They keep saying that this is UT's first sellout in 3 years.

They don't sell out when Kentucky comes to town? That's weak. I realize it ain't footbaw, but c'mon Knoxville

Sterling Bigmouth

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Heels playing Vols in Knoxville. They keep saying that this is UT's first sellout in 3 years.

They don't sell out when Kentucky comes to town? That's weak. I realize it ain't footbaw, but c'mon Knoxville
Just got back from Knoxville, was a Hell of a game, UNC just proved to be too good. Joel Berry and Luke Maye are both studs.

UT has actually been top 20 in attendance for the past decade now, but we actually have the 5th largest college basketball arena in America, and unfortunately don’t quite have the history of teams like UNC, UK, etc. When Bruce Pearl was here it was selling out quite regularly, but Cuonzo Martin and Donnie Tyndall were able to dismantle that in less than 5 years. I’m not a huge fan of Rick Barnes, but he’s doing a solid job of rebuilding the program.

I think a lot of people learned today just how young UT is, as they’ve only got one senior on the entire team, who only plays 15-20 minutes a game. I think they’re that close to finally getting over the hump again. If our only losses going into SEC play are close ones to UNC and Villanova. I’ll be pretty confident in March.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Starting to feel a little optimistic about this squad. After the Milwaukee loss, I figured this was going to be a 10 win team at best. We've now won 9 in a row, including a convincing win over Top 25 RPI and perpetual foil Northern Iowa. Lindell Wigginton is an absolute beast, showing why he was the highest ranked HS recruit in program history. He'll be in the league after next year. Our front court has really improved in the same time frame as well with Cam Lard and Solomon Young combining to give us the best post play we've had in awhile. Nick Weiler-Babb is asserting himself at the 1 spot and really making the offense go.

The down side is the fucking nightmare that is the Big 12 this year. We could possibly put the entire conference in the dance, if things shake out in a certain way. There is no bad team in this league, and there are a whole fuck ton of good ones.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I wish I could get excited about college basketball. I used to love it, but with all of my schools constantly pumping out garbage teams, all the stars leaving after a year, and the regular season getting more and more watered down, I can't do it. See you in March
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Heels playing Vols in Knoxville. They keep saying that this is UT's first sellout in 3 years.

Just got back from Knoxville, was a Hell of a game, UNC just proved to be too good. Joel Berry and Luke Maye are both studs.

UT has actually been top 20 in attendance for the past decade now, but we actually have the 5th largest college basketball arena in America, and unfortunately don’t quite have the history of teams like UNC, UK, etc. When Bruce Pearl was here it was selling out quite regularly, but Cuonzo Martin and Donnie Tyndall were able to dismantle that in less than 5 years. I’m not a huge fan of Rick Barnes, but he’s doing a solid job of rebuilding the program.

I think a lot of people learned today just how young UT is, as they’ve only got one senior on the entire team, who only plays 15-20 minutes a game. I think they’re that close to finally getting over the hump again. If our only losses going into SEC play are close ones to UNC and Villanova. I’ll be pretty confident in March.
(1) my only trip to Thompson-Boling was in early March 88 to see Mellencamp on Lonesome Jubilee tour. Amazing show, he opened with a nasty Paper in Fire that I recall like it was yesterday

(2) fuck Rick Barnes! That guy has been #2 on my most loathed coaches list since his days at Clemson

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:When Bruce Pearl was here it was selling out quite regularly, but Cuonzo Martin and Donnie Tyndall were able to dismantle that in less than 5 years.
no love for my Asheville homie Buzz Peterson? :lol:

Sterling Bigmouth

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:When Bruce Pearl was here it was selling out quite regularly, but Cuonzo Martin and Donnie Tyndall were able to dismantle that in less than 5 years.
Funny enough, as a kid I loved Buzz. My 1st game at TBA in 2003 when he had C.J. Watson and Scooter McFagdon running the show. Didn’t take long to realize why he only lasted a couple years.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Funny enough, as a kid I loved Buzz. My 1st game at TBA in 2003 when he had C.J. Watson and Scooter McFagdon running the show. Didn’t take long to realize why he only lasted a couple years.
when he was a senior at Asheville High and NC HS Player of the Year (over some guy named Jordan) I was 15, got to play pickup a bunch of times with him at a church with an amazing gym that was a great place for running with the best in town. Dude could shoot like a motherfucker