RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:LOOK, MAN, I DON'T KNOW NUT-HIN' ABOUT NO COINS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
yesterday, from other end of the house I heard my wife say to the cat, "look, MacGruber, I don't know nothin' about no coins!!!"

I don't think I have ever been more proud :lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

from that article:

Keep in mind that this is only one of the André film biographies in development at the moment, as there is a biopic in the works based on the graphic novel André The Giant: Closer To Heaven.

Unless the biopic is animated, just who the fuck do you get to play Andre the motherfuckin' Giant???

I guess you could go the Jack Reacher route and have a Tom Cruise-sized actor play him ;) Alternative facts, indeed

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/george-steele-dies/

RIP George "The Animal" Steele
you beat me to it. He lived to 79. Seems like some of the guys from his era- the non-steroid era- are living to older ages than those younger grapplers from the steroid years

whatwouldcooleydo?

RIP Ivan Koloff :( :( :(

saw him rassle live a bunch when I was a kid. Will never forget seeing him at the Asheville Civic Center against #1 Paul Jones when a man ran out of the bleachers and went absolutely berserker on Koloff. The guy got in a bunch of kicks and blows before the cops descended upon him. I was probably 8 or 9, seeing the cops pummel the guy left a big (negative) impression upon me

whatwouldcooleydo?

Billy Corgan purchased the rights to the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA)

long, detailed article that may be worth reading only for this comment:

It was later discovered that he had only bought the organization so that he could hold a “Despite All My Rage I Am Still Just a Rat In a Cage Match”.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

If y'all haven't already you owe it to yourself to listen to Jim Cornette's podcast. Or at the very least watch his interviews on Kayfabe Commentaries or some of the other interviews he has done that are on YouTube.

His discussions on classic matches or just memories about legendary wrestlers or even wrestlers that aren't so legendary are pure gold.

He is a great story teller and he's hilarious. His different rants about how much he hates Vince Ruso almost get into disturbing territory but they are still funny. And I agree with what he says about how the two Vinces and to a lesser extent Bruce Pritchard, ruined wrestling.

His stuff about Sean Michaels and "the clique" are spot on.

Also take a peak at the stuff with Dutch Mantel who is pretty dang funny himself and nowhere near as angry as Cornette.

He said Ole Andersen once told him, "Cornette, I used to think you were a dumb fuck. But so many dumb fucks have come along since you who are even dumber that you've moved up the latter without doing anything." :D
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

The "Progressive Liberal" Is Maybe The Perfect Wrestling Heel

there is pure gold in the comments section:

-- His finishing move is “The Safe Space” in which he runs his opponent over from inside his Prius.

--AS GOD IS MY WITNESS, THAT ABORTED FETUS IS SPLIT IN HALF.

--CAN YOU SMELL THE ORGANIC KALE COOKIN’??!

--Remember when Russians were heels? Those were the days, huh?

--Poor kids, one day they’ll find out wrestling is as real as coal jobs coming back

--His manager should be transgendered and after he wins he needs to make it rain with welfare checks.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The "Progressive Liberal" Is Maybe The Perfect Wrestling Heel

-- His finishing move is “The Safe Space” in which he runs his opponent over from inside his Prius.

--Poor kids, one day they’ll find out wrestling is as real as coal jobs coming back

--His manager should be transgendered and after he wins he needs to make it rain with welfare checks.

Well, Jim Cornette is a dang good heel and he is definitely a liberal so...

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The "Progressive Liberal" Is Maybe The Perfect Wrestling Heel

I did not know that. I haven't watched 'rasslin in decades, pretty much the only time it crosses my radar screen these days is via articles like this. My interest was pretty much killed by that Hulk Hogan/Cyndi Lauper Rock & Rasslin crap. I remember Cornette but had no idea of what his politics are. Isn't he the dude who back in the day carried a tennis racket?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

I did not know that. I haven't watched 'rasslin in decades, pretty much the only time it crosses my radar screen these days is via articles like this. My interest was pretty much killed by that Hulk Hogan/Cyndi Lauper Rock & Rasslin crap. I remember Cornette but had no idea of what his politics are. Isn't he the dude who back in the day carried a tennis racket?
Yep. He's the one. He's a Southern dude who hates conservatives and Christians. I'm both of those things but the guy is so funny, even when he's bashing those things, that I don't care. And when he's telling g old wrestling stories, I can listen for hours. He has his own podcast (who doesn't?) And it is really good.

I vaguely remember the Rock and Wrestling thing. I was never a Hogan fan and only watched a very little WWF. I was all about some NWA. Missouri (later UWF) which was run by Bill Watts was great too as was Georgia Championship Wrestling. The old violent, bloody, "real" Southern wrestling was far superior to Vince McMahon's cartoonist Yankee variety.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:
Yep. He's the one. He's a Southern dude who hates conservatives and Christians. I'm both of those things but the guy is so funny, even when he's bashing those things, that I don't care. And when he's telling g old wrestling stories, I can listen for hours. He has his own podcast (who doesn't?) And it is really good.

I vaguely remember the Rock and Wrestling thing. I was never a Hogan fan and only watched a very little WWF. I was all about some NWA. Missouri (later UWF) which was run by Bill Watts was great too as was Georgia Championship Wrestling. The old violent, bloody, "real" Southern wrestling was far superior to Vince McMahon's cartoonist Yankee variety.
Exactly! I grew up on the Mid-Atlantic division of the NWA, that was amazing stuff. They operated out of Raleigh, NC. Back when it was still all regional, before cable took over everything and shrunk the rasslin world down to what came out of Atlanta and that shit Vince McMahon served up. There was a lot of overlap between Mid-Atlantic and Georgia Championship when it came to the grapplers. Though you guys were raised on Gordon Solie and we were brought up on David Crockett and Bob Caudle (and later Tony Schiavone).

Flea

Post by Flea »

Cole Younger wrote:

Exactly! I grew up on the Mid-Atlantic division of the NWA, that was amazing stuff. They operated out of Raleigh, NC. Back when it was still all regional, before cable took over everything and shrunk the rasslin world down to what came out of Atlanta and that shit Vince McMahon served up. There was a lot of overlap between Mid-Atlantic and Georgia Championship when it came to the grapplers. Though you guys were raised on Gordon Solie and we were brought up on David Crockett and Bob Caudle (and later Tony Schiavone).
If you're thinking of Jim Crockett's Mid-Atlantic, they were actually out of Charlotte. The TV shows were taped in (I think) WBTV studios for syndication.
Now it's dark.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

That's right, Flea. And WWCD, once Crockett bought the other territories and it was all just called NWA I actually enjoyed David Crockett as a commentator. People love to slag on him and talk about the way he would do things like repeat, "Look at 'im Tony. Look at 'im. Look at 'im Tony. Just look at 'im." :D This would be going on while one of the Horsemen or some other heel would be doing something that was supposed to be obnoxious. I personally loved it and still do. It might not have sounded professional but that was part of the charm. I felt like I was listening to my dad and my uncles. He had a bunch of money but he was still just an old Southern boy and he called matches like one. Tony Schiavone was far more polished but I didn't like him as much. If I ever did tune in to WWF I had to listen to Vince and Jesse Ventura. Lord, just shoot me now!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Didn't see my typo up there. That should have been Mid South which was Bill Watts 's territory and later became UWF. I think it was Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma and maybe one or two other states and Crockett of course would eventually buy it when Watts started to see a sag in attendance when he tried to get bigger and go head to head with Vince. Some big names came out of that territory including The Freebirds, Ted Dibiase, Stan Hanson, and one of my favorites Junkyard Dog.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

If you're thinking of Jim Crockett's Mid-Atlantic, they were actually out of Charlotte. The TV shows were taped in (I think) WBTV studios for syndication.
I am thinking of JCP indeed, but for most of the years when I was viewing they filmed in Raleigh, mostly WRAL but also at the Dorton Arena. WBTV was a prominent station in Asheville, we got the legendary Fred Kirby show from them, but the grapplin was shot in Raleigh. According to Wikipedia:

By the early-1970s, JCP had gradually phased-out its multiple weekly television tapings in such cities as Charlotte, North Carolina, Greenville, South Carolina, and High Point, North Carolina, consolidating its production schedule into just one shoot (a Wednesday night videotaping at WRAL-TV in Raleigh), and then syndicating the broadcast to several local TV stations throughout the Carolinas and Virginia. In 1981, JCP moved to the WPCQ-TV studios in Charlotte (a station once owned by Ted Turner).

whatwouldcooleydo?

I often proudly sport my baseball sleeves shirt with the legendary logo

I know I likely posted this before, but when I was a kid the Mid-Atlantic did cards every other Sunday at the Asheville Civic Center. We didn't miss a card for years. Now and then we'd also go to Greenville and Spartanburg

whatwouldcooleydo?

These are the kind of cards I grew up seeing live. I'm old :lol:

in the one above, notice the Poffo brothers. Randy went on to become the legendary Randy "Macho Man" Savage and Lanny became Leapin' Lanny and later The Professor

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Man now those are some cards! That's awesome. I can remember when Crockett got the deal with TBS and NWA came on every Saturday morning. It was completely different then. Everything wasn't all about pay per view. They had them but every Saturday you got like two hours of matches with all the stars. Plus you got the house shows. We went to Columbus to the old Municipal Auditorium which is now the Civic Center and has been remodeled. We would go on Saturday night when they came to Columbus and everybody would be there. All the big names. Saw the Horsemen jump Lex Luger there one night and the place nearly erupted in a riot. That was when an old promoter named Fred Ward was still alive. He was the local promoter. Those were the days, man.

whatwouldcooleydo?

There was another Deadspin post about him today, totally cracked me up to see that he rassles a guy whose last name is Magga :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

doesn't sound good at all for the Nature Boy :( :( :(

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/news ... es-w497562

I read somewhere online that he has had some type of heart failure caused by alcoholism

OK, found it:

he suffers from Alcoholic cardiomyopathy. The condition is a result of prolonged alcohol abuse and can result in heart failure. The effects of the alcohol damage the myocardium where it is unable to efficiently pump blood.

never forget, no one did it better than Slick Ric!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:doesn't sound good at all for the Nature Boy :( :( :(

I read somewhere online that he has had some type of heart failure caused by alcoholism

OK, found it:

he suffers from Alcoholic cardiomyopathy. The condition is a result of prolonged alcohol abuse and can result in heart failure. The effects of the alcohol damage the myocardium where it is unable to efficiently pump blood.

I've been a huge fan of the Nature Boy since the early 1980's when we first got southern wrasslin' on TBS up in PA. But to be totally honest (and perhaps a bit blunt) I'm surprised Flair has made it this long. He lived fast and hard.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

whatwouldcooleydo?

brett27295 wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:doesn't sound good at all for the Nature Boy :( :( :(

OK, found it:

I've been a huge fan of the Nature Boy since the early 1980's when we first got southern wrasslin' on TBS up in PA. But to be totally honest (and perhaps a bit blunt) I'm surprised Flair has made it this long. He lived fast and hard.
Agree 100%. Showing my age here, but I was into Mid-Atlantic Championship rasslin' already when he showed up in, I wanna say, 1974. It took a while for him to become the superstar but me and my friends were into him from the start. It was mostly him and his, pardon the pun, flair, but a chunk of it was that he totally pissed off our parents and most other people, and we were like moths to a flame on that tip. Though at the time I had no idea what punk rock was, in retrospect I see that he was totally punk. He drove our parents crazy and we loved it!

I said this before here but worth repeating: we were all into rasslin' before we got neck deep in rock and roll, and other than Elvis, Nature Boy was THE rock star to us. For better or worse, Flair was a formative part of our pre-teen years.

I won't/can't lie, this one hurts :(

all that said...........assuming the worst, if I understand the logic of the Nature Boy, then alcoholic cardiomyopathy becomes the man. ;)

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Flair has seemed to have minor health issues for a while now, so I’m hoping he will bounce back like he usually seems to do, but this does sound serious.

I know ESPN has a 30 for 30 on him coming soon, hoping that will shed a lot of light to viewers on just how closely intertwined his professional and personal life were at the height of his wheeling, dealing, kiss-stealing days.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Agree 100%. Showing my age here, but I was into Mid-Atlantic Championship rasslin' already when he showed up in, I wanna say, 1974. It took a while for him to become the superstar but me and my friends were into him from the start. It was mostly him and his, pardon the pun, flair, but a chunk of it was that he totally pissed off our parents and most other people, and we were like moths to a flame on that tip. Though at the time I had no idea what punk rock was, in retrospect I see that he was totally punk. He drove our parents crazy and we loved it!

I said this before here but worth repeating: we were all into rasslin' before we got neck deep in rock and roll, and other than Elvis, Nature Boy was THE rock star to us. For better or worse, Flair was a formative part of our pre-teen years.

I won't/can't lie, this one hurts :(

all that said...........assuming the worst, if I understand the logic of the Nature Boy, then alcoholic cardiomyopathy becomes the man. ;)
I moved to the Triangle in NC way too late. I wish I lived here in the early 80's. Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling is my favorite promotion of all-time. Back when I was collecting VHS (and later dvd-r) of wrestling footage I had a huge collection of tv shows and quite a bit of arena footage. There was a great 10 dvd set of MACW arena footage from the late 1970's that circulated 15 years ago or so. Lots of Blackjack, Flair, Wahoo, Paul Jones etc. Great stuff.

I don't care a bit about modern wrestling but I subscribe to the WWE Network just because they have so much awesome stuff from MACW, Mid-South, World Class etc. As a matter of fact last year they actually found the Tommy Rich vs. Buzz Sawyer "Last Battle of Atlanta" cage match that was thought to be long lost. For years that was the holy grail for wrestling fans, especially those of us that came of age in the 1980's.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Wrestling was my obsession before music as well, although maybe an era or two later than some of y'all ;) I still somewhat keep up with it through reddit and other avenues, although I have no desire to actually watch it as most of the guys I grew up with are dead or retired. I do take the kids occasionally to the local wrestling "organizations", one of which (NACW!) I "worked" (read: volunteered) for my senior year in high school and actually got to wrestle in a cruiserweight title match for. I raked out some serious cash (well, like 200 bucks, which was serious cash back then) for my suit, which a faux rattlesnake skin luchadore mask with matching, skintight latex bellbottoms which I used to drive Ladonna crazy with by wearing around the house when company came over or threatening to wear them into town (which I actually went through with atleast once). I also had some kick ass looking boots that said "Viper" on the side which fell apart after that one match. Ladonna either hid or tossed the pants (I never got a straight answer) and the mask is long gone. I do have some pics somewhere, I know they were on my old MySpace page.

Anyways, Ric has a led a hard (and amazing, improbable and tragic) life and I hope he pulls through. I was first and foremost a Bret Hart fanatic, but who couldn't love the styling and profiling, limousine riding, learjet flying, wheelin and dealing sonofagun? My dad took my best friend and I to see a WCW show at the Omni in Atlanta when I was maybe 9 or 10; we had like maybe third row seats and I got to see the Natured Boy tagging with Mongo McMichael against Icantrememberwho, but I do remember Ric bladed in the match and being shocked by how much he bled. In fact aside from a Disco Inferno versus Juventud Guerrera match, the only other thing I recall is this little redneck kid (think the Lipnickis from that movie "the War" with Elijah Wood and Kevin Costner) who was a few years younger than I was sitting in front of my having the worst potty mouth I'd ever heard (and saying some expletives that were new to me IN FRONT of his redneck parents who just laughed, which was utterly mind blowing) and my dad making us leave early because the the kid's dad started arguing with this other dad which escalated to a drink throwing fight, which quickly grew from just the two guys to almost everybody in the immediate vicinity. I was pissed for leaving early, but looking back he probably just wanted to beat the traffic.

sorry, I sometimes get sidetracked...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.