Bryan's Bikers 2015

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Bryan's Bikers 2015

Post by beantownbubba »

It's that time of year again and cancer still sucks. The amazing Pan Mass Challenge bike ride fund raiser for the Jimmy Fund (pediatric cancer research and treatment) is now 2 weeks away and we are once again sponsoring a team named after my son who continues to struggle w/ another recurrence of a bone cancer called Ewing's Sarcoma. We can personally testify to just how valuable and important this cause is. We appreciate your past generosity and once again ask you to open your hearts and wallets for this most worthy cause. EVERY dollar raised goes to the Jimmy Fund - ALL costs are covered by sponsors. Details can be found in the copy of Bryan's fundraising letter below. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hi everyone!

To those who've received one of these before: it's that time again! Pan Mass Challenge time! Bryan's Bikers time! Let's-punch-cancer-in-the-face time!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Bryan, and the person who sent you this letter is riding this year on my namesake team, Bryan's Bikers, in the Pan Mass Challenge. The Pan Mass Challenge (AKA the Pan Mass or the PMC) is a charity bike ride spanning over two days, 180 miles, and most of Massachusetts. It is also the largest charity athletic event in the world. Other than is size, what sets the PMC apart is that 100% of rider-raised funds are donated straight to the Jimmy Fund Pediatric Cancer Clinic. That's right! If you give to the Pan Mass, every cent of your money will go to benefit kids with cancer. None of it will go to salaries for the organizers or even to the costs of organizing the event. All of it goes right where it's most needed – to the caregivers and researchers who fight pediatric cancer every day. Bryan's Bikers has been riding for 12 years now, and our team alone has raised over $725,000 for cancer research in that time.

A little backstory: I was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare bone cancer, in 2002, when I was 13 years old. Through a combination of surgery and chemotherapy directed by the Jimmy Fund doctors and nurses, I achieved remission in less than a year. I was able to continue school and extracurricular activities during my treatment, thanks largely to the efforts of my parents, my teachers, and my team at the Jimmy Fund. Since then, my cancer has returned three times, and each time, the Jimmy Fund's staff, together with my family and friends, have come through to help me keep leading my life while beating back the recurrences of my disease. Indeed, in the 13 years since I was first diagnosed, I have graduated middle school, high school, college, and begun graduate school to get my Master's Degree in Acting from the American Repertory Theatre Institute. I could never have done any of it without such an amazing support system. Unfortunately, this past year my cancer returned yet again, but I know that my amazing community of doctors, nurses, teachers, family, and friends will answer the call to help me come through these trying days.

The PMC and the Jimmy Fund are truly amazing charities that give help and hope to so many in the most challenging times of their lives, and those who ride in the PMC are the amazing engine that powers all of their efforts. This year, Bryan's Bikers has an incredible team of old hands and new faces ready to take on the Challenge and help pave the way to a cure for cancer. My family and I are so grateful to all of those who keep the Bryan's Bikers team rolling from year to year, from those riders to you, the donors! The PMC has a goal of $45 million (yes, MILLION!) this year. Let's help them beat it. Any amount you're able to give is money that goes directly to fighting pediatric cancer, which is awesome in my book.

So thank you all so much in advance for your support. It means the world.

With love,

Bryan

To donate, you can send us a check or just go to www.pmc.org and search for Bryan's Bikers!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Re: Bryan's Bikers 2015

Post by Clams »

Done, bubba. I hope they find a cure... FAST!!
If you don't run you rust

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Clams wrote:Done, bubba. I hope they find a cure... FAST!!
X2
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Done
Always go to the show

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Done. Hope this year's PMC Ride is a great success and they shatter the fundraising goal!
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Done.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I'm not good with deadlines
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beebs wrote:I'm not good with deadlines
Lucky for you (and other procrastinators) the deadline has not yet passed. :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

beantownbubba wrote:
Beebs wrote:I'm not good with deadlines
Lucky for you (and other procrastinators) the deadline has not yet passed. :D
Looks like I just made it. As for the rest of you slackers...

Thinking about you guys, Bubba. Looking forward to the next Caring Bridge post as I'm sure Bryan will be home and feeling good again any day.
Beebs is not a ragey man

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Done.

Hang tough Bryan!

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Done.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll