Healthy Eating and Living

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Healthy Eating and Living

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

You may think vegetables are safe, but this Is. Not. So.

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

phungi

Post by phungi »

reading this thread has me wondering how long it would take to completely detox from a Homecoming weekend, or if it is even possible to reverse the potentially toxic effects...

my guess is that it is going to take more than a few weeks of quinoa and coconut oil...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:If I was single, I would eat so much better. Left to my own devices, alcohol and the occasional weekend breakfast potatoes would be to sole sources of high carb food. My wife sometimes makes large pasta dishes for multi-day consumption and often orders pizza (and brings half of it home) when she bartends.
Cole Younger wrote:Iowan if they didn't know what you meant when you said you would eat better if you were single I did.

she keeps things like cookies and Little Debbie's in the house because she lets our daughter have one a day. I've gotta get back on it. Being out of shape sucks. And I know I'm not going to stop drinking beer.
rlipps wrote:That's exactly my problem. When I single and living alone in college, I didn't bring any junk food into the apartment and I never missed it. Once I got married and had kids, now it's in my house and like Cotter, I don't have the willpower to ignore it. I've gained about 50 lbs since graduating from college in 2002 and probably gained 30 of those since being married in 2005.
It's always the wife's fault. Love it. :lol:

At least you didn't blame me
Not blaming her. She don't make me do a thing she just lets me. But she doesn't exactly make it easy either.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Penny Lane wrote:I try but it's hard. Here are the things I stick to or try harder at sticking to:

skipping breakfast is better for you than eating breakfast because most breakfast food is sugar
This is pretty much bullshit, honey. I have never seen a study, serious or casual, that recommends skipping breakfast. Certainly don't make your Fruit Loops (no relation) the way they do in Where's Poppa?, but eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, and, of course, coffee, in any combo are a good way to get your day started. If you don't eat, you will be ravenous by lunchtime and more likely to go way out of bounds when you finally do eat.

Feed that baby breakfast, girl.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Here is what I get from this thread so far.
Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Don't get all hung up worrying about it.
Glad I'm not married. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Beebs wrote:
scotto wrote:To me that's one of the keys to healthy living: relax and let go.
I fully support this as it applies to all the nonsense we can get worked up about. But there are stresses that do not allow for relaxing about or letting go of.
Agreed. I'm neither religious nor a 12-stepper, but their serenity incantation is a good road map, especially that "wisdom to know the difference" part.

Flea

Post by Flea »

phungi wrote:reading this thread has me wondering how long it would take to completely detox from a Homecoming weekend, or if it is even possible to reverse the potentially toxic effects...

my guess is that it is going to take more than a few weeks of quinoa and coconut oil...
That really depends on whether you bring home the 40 Watt Cooley Bird Flu.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

one belt loop wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:I try but it's hard. Here are the things I stick to or try harder at sticking to:

skipping breakfast is better for you than eating breakfast because most breakfast food is sugar
This is pretty much bullshit, honey. I have never seen a study, serious or casual, that recommends skipping breakfast. Certainly don't make your Fruit Loops (no relation) the way they do in Where's Poppa?, but eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, and, of course, coffee, in any combo are a good way to get your day started. If you don't eat, you will be ravenous by lunchtime and more likely to go way out of bounds when you finally do eat.

Kind of agree; plenty of good stuff to masticate without added sugar. I generally have toast of homemade bread with hummus and a bit of REAL cheese (not that crap that's wrapped in cellophane), seasoned with copious hot sauce. Excellent wake up call.
Now it's dark.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I eat breakfast every day and it almost never involves sugar. Sometimes I eat regular food like cottage cheese or salad when I wake up, but it's often savory oatmeal. I take plain, unflavored oatmeal and add hot sauce, Cavender's, and a little shredded cheese. Excellent.

phungi

Post by phungi »

one belt loop wrote:

Breakfast like a King/Queen
Lunch like a Prince/Princess
Dinner like a Pauper
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

YEAH!

Being from Wisconsin, this is the best news I've heard in a while!

"Go ahead, finish off that wheel of Brie, that brick of cheddar, or that blob of mozzarella. Your heart may thank you.

Last month, a group of Danish scientists investigated why the French don’t seem to suffer from cardiovascular disease as much as their high saturated fat, high cholesterol diets would suggest."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/ ... =nova_next
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've been trying to meditate for at least forty minutes a day and it's started to change my whole outlook on life for the better. I also gave up all alcohol and am phsing out caffeine; I'm also trying to cut out all pain & sleep medicine and switch over completely to herbal remedies.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:I've been trying to meditate for at least forty minutes a day and it's started to change my whole outlook on life for the better. I also gave up all alcohol and am phsing out caffeine; I'm also trying to cut out all pain & sleep medicine and switch over completely to herbal remedies.
You just never know what you're gonna see when you log on to 3dd. Enjoy the new you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

Smitty wrote:I've been trying to meditate for at least forty minutes a day and it's started to change my whole outlook on life for the better.

I try to do the same, but I call it a nap.
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:I've been trying to meditate for at least forty minutes a day and it's started to change my whole outlook on life for the better. I also gave up all alcohol and am phsing out caffeine; I'm also trying to cut out all pain & sleep medicine and switch over completely to herbal remedies.
You just never know what you're gonna see when you log on to 3dd. Enjoy the new you.
Sounds like Smitty's gearing up for a move to Portland too.
If you don't run you rust

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Dude, you have a bunch of kids. How do you find time to meditate? I have 1 and I have to hide in the shitter to get 5 minutes alone. :lol:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^^^
Smitty failed to mention that his wife is pissed at him 35 of the 40 mins. ;)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

bovine knievel wrote:^^^^^^
Smitty failed to mention that his wife is pissed at him 35 of the 40 mins. ;)
Maybe he's banking on pulling the "but I quit drinking!" card to neutralize any female anger?

That's gotta buy a man a decent amount of spousal leeway.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

The key is using the proper "herbal remedies".
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:The key is using the proper "herbal remedies".
I like the way you talk, mmm hmmm.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:
Dude, you have a bunch of kids. How do you find time to meditate? I have 1 and I have to hide in the shitter to get 5 minutes alone. :lol:
It's a, umm, process :lol: I have a couple hours to myself each morning between dropping my oldest off at school and the girls getting up, and I usually stay up a little later than them (not always, though).

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

Smitty wrote: I also gave up all alcohol
You are now dead to me.

:-)
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cotter wrote:
Smitty wrote: I also gave up all alcohol
You are now dead to me.

:-)
I've actually drank twice in the last couple years; once at a work function in Missouri (free beer!) and I bought a sixer on NYE and drank one before I decided I had lost the taste/desire for it. I got nothing against it and am not making a "statement" and I'm certainly not in recovery or anything like that, but it's just a personal choice for me. I've cut down a lot on cigarettes too and hope to cut them out altogether soon, although that's the hardest thing I've ever attempted.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs wrote:
scotto wrote:To me that's one of the keys to healthy living: relax and let go.
I fully support this as it applies to all the nonsense we can get worked up about. But there are stresses that do not allow for relaxing about or letting go of.
Beebs is not a ragey man

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Like Justice Potter Stewart, I know it when I see it:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Rewind to last year. I've spent the past year going sideways then packed on about 10-15 lbs this winter, just enough to make my suit too tight. That was it. I finally got the wife on board with keeping good food in the house, reduced the beer intake, and am down 10 lbs in the past 3 weeks. I've learned that to lose weight, I have to be insanely disciplined about my food intake and really cut down on weekday beers. I can still drink liquor, but I like beer a lot more, so I just drink less.

Being in the field helps, because I pack all my food in advance, and work 80+ hours per week which limits going out to eat and/or boozing all night. I'll be able to keep making progress through the summer (I'm very active) and fall (again, field diet). Winters the bitch.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:Rewind to last year. I've spent the past year going sideways then packed on about 10-15 lbs this winter, just enough to make my suit too tight. That was it. I finally got the wife on board with keeping good food in the house, reduced the beer intake, and am down 10 lbs in the past 3 weeks. I've learned that to lose weight, I have to be insanely disciplined about my food intake and really cut down on weekday beers. I can still drink liquor, but I like beer a lot more, so I just drink less.

Being in the field helps, because I pack all my food in advance, and work 80+ hours per week which limits going out to eat and/or boozing all night. I'll be able to keep making progress through the summer (I'm very active) and fall (again, field diet). Winters the bitch.
Good for you, Iowan. I'm happy to report that I'm down about 12 lbs from this time last year, and I'm even happier to report that I've done it without any decrease in my beer and alcohol consumption. I attribute 90% of it to exercise - I'm a runner and the past 12 months have been my most successful (read: injury free) since probably 2008. I've also been biking lately too. Running 4 or 5 miles a few times a week will do wonders for you, even if you do cap it off with a fat IPA and/or a pale ale or two when you're done. The other 10% I attribute to fruit - I try to eat it instead of regular snacks (carbs, fats, etc) whenever possible. So yeah, here's to actually losing weight and not giving up the shit you love. :)
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:Rewind to last year. I've spent the past year going sideways then packed on about 10-15 lbs this winter, just enough to make my suit too tight. That was it. I finally got the wife on board with keeping good food in the house, reduced the beer intake, and am down 10 lbs in the past 3 weeks. I've learned that to lose weight, I have to be insanely disciplined about my food intake and really cut down on weekday beers. I can still drink liquor, but I like beer a lot more, so I just drink less.

Good for you, Iowan. I'm happy to report that I'm down about 12 lbs from this time last year, and I'm even happier to report that I've done it without any decrease in my beer and alcohol consumption. I attribute 90% of it to exercise - I'm a runner and the past 12 months have been my most successful (read: injury free) since probably 2008. I've also been biking lately too. Running 4 or 5 miles a few times a week will do wonders for you, even if you do cap it off with a fat IPA and/or a pale ale or two when you're done. The other 10% I attribute to fruit - I try to eat it instead of regular snacks (carbs, fats, etc) whenever possible. So yeah, here's to actually losing weight and not giving up the shit you love. :)
Right on!

The other main thing I'm doing is actually getting on the scale every week and keeping tabs. I think once I get farther down the way, I can still enjoy my beer and tweak other things.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Nice work, fellas. I gained a bunch of weight after my daughter was born a couple years ago. About a month ago I finally committed to a diet and exercise plan and dropped 14 pounds in a little over 3 weeks (190 down to 175). My goal (by July, hopefully) is to get down to and maintain somewhere around 165-170. I don't think I've seen 165 since high school.

As far as diet, I'm basically counting calories and replacing sweets (my Achilles heel) with fruit. Oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, light salad for lunch, chicken or fish and a vegetable for dinner, a banana or grapes for snacks, and lots of water. Most days I end up around 1,200-1,300 calories. (I'm also cutting out the weekday beers, which blows.)

The real key for me is always finding an exercise routine I can stick to. Right now it's a stationary bike, Netflix and podcasts. I ride about 45 minutes every night, right after the kid goes to bed. Probably switch it up at some point, but for now this is working.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I haven't been 165 since I was 5'8" (probably 9th grade).

I'm 6'1" now.