Story behind your board name and/or photo

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlysnaps

Re: Story behind your board name and/or photo

Post by pearlysnaps »

My closet is taken up by many fine, western shirts with those pearlysnaps that make the girls go crazy. :D

My avatar was done by a buddy of mine probably 15 yrs ago. We worked together at a magazine publisher. When he was bored, he found art projects. For a while, he was taking photographs, sampling the color of each part in photoshop, and then filling in each area with the sampled color. This is one of them.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Sadley, need I say more

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

phungi wrote:Talked to a few folks in Athens, who thought there might be an old thread about this, but I couldn't find it.
Nor could I. I'm positive I've answered this 'un before, must have been on 9 Bullets.

I chose Kudzu because of my R.E.M. fandom and Guillotine to represent the Truckers as a nod to the original working title of Southern Rock Opera, Betamax Guillotine. My avatar of Cooley is something Jenn came up with back in the days of the DBT's list on Yahoo Groups (which still exists, btw). I was somewhat surprised to learn a while back that several folks here thought the avatar was Michael Jackson. I can only imagine Cooley would get a kick out of that.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: in the days of the DBT's list on Yahoo Groups (which still exists, btw).
And so it does. I had no idea that group was still there. I rarely use Yahoo for anything anymore and when I do I usually don't sign in. I don't think I've read anything on that group in 5 or 6 years.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

phungi

Post by phungi »

Jonicont wrote:I am Jonicont
I have always been Jonicont
Started using the moniker in Grateful Dead tape trading circles in 1972
The first time I saw the photo I thought "why did he use a photo of himself giving a lecture at a podium"... I quickly realized my mistake, and that "Jonicont" loosely translates as "good audio/video is soon to come"
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

LBRod wrote:I am Rod. I live in Los Banos. Like Scotty C creativity is not my strong suit.

As I've said to you before if only there was a T between the L and the B.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote: in the days of the DBT's list on Yahoo Groups (which still exists, btw).
And so it does. I had no idea that group was still there. I rarely use Yahoo for anything anymore and when I do I usually don't sign in. I don't think I've read anything on that group in 5 or 6 years.
I subscribed to it shortly after signing up for Guitartown around '99 or so. Same for several other Yahoo Group lists I still belong to like No Depression (the original list that began on AOL well before I went online) and Whiskeytownavenues. I miss the more isolated and centralized nature of those lists in comparison to Facebook. This message board is about as close to anything like that that I'm an active member of any more. As for why I prefer one experience to the other, I think ND list member Tom Huber put it best in regards to FB when he posted, "We no longer converse; we exclaim."

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
phungi wrote:Talked to a few folks in Athens, who thought there might be an old thread about this, but I couldn't find it.
Nor could I. I'm positive I've answered this 'un before, must have been on 9 Bullets.

I chose Kudzu because of my R.E.M. fandom and Guillotine to represent the Truckers as a nod to the original working title of Southern Rock Opera, Betamax Guillotine. My avatar of Cooley is something Jenn came up with back in the days of the DBT's list on Yahoo Groups (which still exists, btw). I was somewhat surprised to learn a while back that several folks here thought the avatar was Michael Jackson. I can only imagine Cooley would get a kick out of that.
I have always wondered why it was a Michael Jackson doll. I can't see how that is Cooley, but I can only see the tiny avatar, and it does not look real, hence the first MJ.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:My avatar of Cooley is something Jenn came up with back in the days of the DBT's list on Yahoo Groups (which still exists, btw). I was somewhat surprised to learn a while back that several folks here thought the avatar was Michael Jackson. I can only imagine Cooley would get a kick out of that.
Cooley Doll thread.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Over on the old 9B I was GW. I think I was just excited to get on the board, so I really didn't worry about creativity. When 3DD started up, I think it was asking for 3 or more characters, so I add the "in IA".

My avatar is my 1950 GMC that I inherited from My Grandpa back in '86, as a 16th birthday present. He bought it new in '49 and by the mid 80s he was starting to get confused, so they needed to get the truck away from him. It still runs (most days :) ) and has my construction business logo on the doors.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cuz my name's Smitty. On 9B I was breakingthesky, which the origin of is halfway forgotten by this point.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

oilpiers wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I have always wondered why it was a Michael Jackson doll. I can't see how that is Cooley, but I can only see the tiny avatar, and it does not look real, hence the first MJ.
If you click on the link in my post, it should take you to a full sized image of the figure, which is clearly Cooley. Then again, you may have to be a member of the DBT's Yahoo Group to access the Photos section.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Mine is really stupid, but I went with it. The 211 comes from the 90's jamband Ominous Seapods and their infamous awesome 2/11/95 show date for a fraternity at Dartmouth U. The show was worshipped among Seapods fans and they always had fun throwing the '211' around. The pork is part silliness on my part and also part of my former fantasy football team name: porkturtle. There.

joelle

Post by joelle »

i am the master of the obvious

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Zip City wrote:This is the only board where I go by something other than "Derwood", which was a nick name a girl gave me in sixth grade (my real name is Darin)
You know this is from the TV show Bewitched, right?

Rocky is my nickname. For real.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

When I signed up for 9bullets in 2006 I wanted to have some kind of geographical reference to my home state of Utah. It never occurred to me at the time that some people might confuse the UT with the University of Tennessee, or the University of Texas. The heathen part is of course a reference to the song, and also a tad ironic, as I am a (relatively speaking) well groomed, educated professional that works in a corporate headquarters in the downtown area of a mid-major western city. There are days when I'd love to live up to my heathen handle, but my upbringing and subconscious adherence to the local conformist mindset prevent me from acting on my heathenistic tendencies.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Oh, and then there's my avatar which is a photo of my friend JR Ruppel, who until recently was the bassist for Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons. I relate to the stickers on his bass that say "SL,UT" and "Fuck You, I'm a Mormon".

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

When I was 18, the Who's 'Who By Numbers' came out. I was riding around in my black '64 Olds Dynamic 88 (otherwise known as Dynamite 88). I spotted some vanity tag & started thinking about what mine should be, when 'Slipkid' comes up on the 8-track. It was a no-brainer. When I found out that vanity tags cost 25 extra bucks, I figured that would be better spent on Thai stick or a coupla concerts.

25 years later, I joined my first chat group & found I could name myself for free. I went back to the old neglected standby. Much to my chagrin some bastard had already taken it. I added a 69 (my favorite number) to the end & lo & behold, some other bastard already had that one. I then added 42 because it rolled off the tongue nicely & then I was the bastard called Slipkid42.

My avatar is of my autographed Dirt Underneath poster. It took my cyber challenged mind about 3 hours to figure out how to smoosh the picture down to avatar size & I've lost a few brain cells since then. Therefore, it will always be my avatar.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Rocky wrote:
Zip City wrote:This is the only board where I go by something other than "Derwood", which was a nick name a girl gave me in sixth grade (my real name is Darin)
You know this is from the TV show Bewitched, right?

Rocky is my nickname. For real.
Yep, that's where she got it from
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

In my opinion, "Chickenwingpuke" is one of the funniest names ever for those asshats I loved to hate in high school. The dumbass who always lucked out, had the hot car, plenty of bread, the hot chick, but was a total douchebag in person. I just loved the name...wasn't that guy, but I chose the moniker to honor the guys who laugh at those guys. The avatar is a skull wearing a Woody Anderson Ford of Huntsville, Alabama hat...is not significant, except that it's from Alabama and in honor of a friend by the same name.
Cocaine rich comes quick, and that's why the small dicks have it all.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Like Smitty, Joelle, and Rod, I just used my name. Was searching the Internet after my first Rock Show (Matt b4 he was an official member and Neff still in the band) and discovered you guys. Needed to get on quickly to connect with everyone and my imagination failed me :D Still one of my top 5 live music experiences as a listener. Later shows have been better musically but nothing beats losing your virginity.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Ditto just using my name with last name initial: Scott O'Kelley.
Photo is the pic sleeve to my "Nine Bullets"/"Bull Dozers and Dirt" 45.

roland

Post by roland »

Screen name is a nickname I picked up a drunken long weekend in Myrtle Beach the summer after my year in college. I said something one of my buddy's waiter said to him at Dick's the night before, and as he was telling the story the waiter's name "Roman" came out "Roland" in his slurring drunkedness. It stuck.

Photo is from a flyer of one of Wes Freed's bands, which I bought the original watercolor of for my first original Freed, and have tattooed on my arm.

Blammo

Post by Blammo »

My actual name is Ben Lamb which when shortened to B.Lamb sounds like BLAM which I arbitrarily modified to "blammo" when I first started signing up for online stuff in the late 90's. I've used the same online handle ever since. EXCITEMENT

I suppose I could have gone for "LLBassPicker1970" or something like that but I already can't remember phone numbers or addresses so I gotta keep things as simple as I can.

And the pic is just a cool photo someone took of me playing a really sweaty show in Philadelphia. Perhaps I should come up with something with a little more meaning, but when I signed up for this site, it was on my desktop & there you have it!
have a good time all the time

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

My first name + the zip code of where I was living when I signed up....real original lol. Photo was taken at the hotel in Athens before walking up to our first DBT Homecoming show at the 40 Watt a few years ago.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

Cotter, like the pin.

Ask wrkkr how it came about.

Don't like it?

Please see avatar.

;-)
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.