The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The TV thread

Post by beantownbubba »

Started on The Blacklist, only a million years behind. Pretty decent, especially for regular TV although it's already showing signs of the problems of maintaining an interesting series w/out pushing the boundaries of believability. But what's really interesting to me is how the FBI is portrayed. Post=Trump things get a bit murky, but before then, there were largely 2 schools of thought: The FBI was a great American institution, efficiently protecting us w/ state of the art, innovative techniques or the FBI was a bureaucratic nightmare, a threat to civil liberties and worse. 9/11 changed that a bit, but still I would argue that those were the basic views of the FBI. In neither view was the FBI seen as flat out incompetent, outright stupid (except in Boston where the Whitey Bulger fiasco continues to resonate). Yet that is the basic canvas on which The Blacklist plays out. Stupid, if occasionally brave, people doing stupid things, dependably making the wrong decisions, incapable of the simplest arrest much less more complex actions, regularly needing to be saved by a single savant. With that as a basic premise, I am quite surprised that this was/is a very successful mainstream series.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

dogstar wrote:Image
Just binged it over past few days. Quite good, we enjoyed it thoroughly

It took me two episodes to figure out who the actor was that played David Budd. It was driving me crazy. He wasn't as easily IDed with no facial hair :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Whole lotta schadenfreude goin' on :lol: :lol: :lol:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

Whole lotta schadenfreude goin' on :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly. I saw it the other day and wasn't able to muster much empathy for most of the people involved, except for the poor workers on the island who didn't get paid for their labor.

The comment on Darwinism and paying hundreds of dollars to see Blink 182 on a desert island is spot on.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

scotto

Post by scotto »

We finished season two of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel last night. At first I didn't enjoy it as much as the first season, but it picked up steam at the midpoint and finished strong. Still love the era references and the bits with Lenny Bruce. And Tony Shalhoub is perfect.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:We finished season two of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel last night. At first I didn't enjoy it as much as the first season, but it picked up steam at the midpoint and finished strong. Still love the era references and the bits with Lenny Bruce. And Tony Shalhoub is perfect.
Still not quite done w/ season 2, but definitely agree that they got their mojo back after the first 2 or 3 episodes. I think it was episodes 5 & 6 (could be one off in either direction) that were as good as last season's standard.

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else watch this season of True Detective? We did and I am of several minds regarding season 3. Won't say anything yet in case some are still watching, but would love to hear what others think

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else watch this season of True Detective? We did and I am of several minds regarding season 3. Won't say anything yet in case some are still watching, but would love to hear what others think
If it is 8 episodes this season too I have one left. I have enjoyed it this far although I understand if people find it a bit annoying with all the jumping back and forth between the timelines.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Brilliant. Dark.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else watch this season of True Detective? We did and I am of several minds regarding season 3. Won't say anything yet in case some are still watching, but would love to hear what others think
Everyone back home is entirely thrilled to see themselves on TV.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Completely unrelated to your post, but a tangent on your current sig line after some Sunday afternoon beers. Wife and I were watching TV last night and ran across an old rerun SNL. Luke Perry was host and Mick Jagger was musical guest. We only saw a tiny bit of it. The Weekend Update segment (with Kevin Nealon) came on. They had a point counterpoint thing and the commentators were Mick and Keith. Mike Myers was dressed as Mick, and Mick dressed as Keith. Myers did an admirable job of playing Mick, but Mick was spot-on entertaining playing Keith.

Jump to 5:00:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... te/2868139

We were tired and getting ready for bed and turning out lights and stuff. Last thing I saw was Phil Hartman was doing a sketch. I always loved Phil Hartman, particularly as Troy McClure.

/beerpost threadjack
Let the outside air in

scotto

Post by scotto »

Anyone else watching "PEN15"? Having laughed and cringed in equal amounts, my jury's still out.

whatwouldcooleydo?

RolanK wrote:
If it is 8 episodes this season too I have one left. I have enjoyed it this far although I understand if people find it a bit annoying with all the jumping back and forth between the timelines.
The acting this season was superb

John A Arkansawyer

schlanky wrote:Completely unrelated to your post, but a tangent on your current sig line after some Sunday afternoon beers. Wife and I were watching TV last night and ran across an old rerun SNL. Luke Perry was host and Mick Jagger was musical guest. We only saw a tiny bit of it. The Weekend Update segment (with Kevin Nealon) came on. They had a point counterpoint thing and the commentators were Mick and Keith. Mike Myers was dressed as Mick, and Mick dressed as Keith. Myers did an admirable job of playing Mick, but Mick was spot-on entertaining playing Keith.

Mike/Mick and Mick/Keith were great! And the fact is, he is an ignorant slut. It's just a fact. Whereas Operaman is an asshole--that was crap material even twenty-five years ago--and I'm a little less fond of Kevin Nealon than I was before, too.

I've spent a lot of time in that archive--enough that I think they blocked me at one point--but this one is new to me. I thought I'd seen all the Mick stuff--he's very funny--but obviously I hadn't. It's interesting how timely, in both a good and a bad way, that material was. A Donald Trump joke--and about Israel, no less--and an Aretha Franklin joke. And interesting that the Trump joke was toothless and the Aretha joke was anything but.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

scotto

Post by scotto »

RolanK wrote:Brilliant. Dark.
And funny.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

scotto wrote:
And funny.
It's Ricky Gervais ;)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
schlanky wrote:Completely unrelated to your post, but a tangent on your current sig line after some Sunday afternoon beers. Wife and I were watching TV last night and ran across an old rerun SNL. Luke Perry was host and Mick Jagger was musical guest. We only saw a tiny bit of it. The Weekend Update segment (with Kevin Nealon) came on. They had a point counterpoint thing and the commentators were Mick and Keith. Mike Myers was dressed as Mick, and Mick dressed as Keith. Myers did an admirable job of playing Mick, but Mick was spot-on entertaining playing Keith.

Mike/Mick and Mick/Keith were great! And the fact is, he is an ignorant slut. It's just a fact. Whereas Operaman is an asshole--that was crap material even twenty-five years ago--and I'm a little less fond of Kevin Nealon than I was before, too.

I've spent a lot of time in that archive--enough that I think they blocked me at one point--but this one is new to me. I thought I'd seen all the Mick stuff--he's very funny--but obviously I hadn't. It's interesting how timely, in both a good and a bad way, that material was. A Donald Trump joke--and about Israel, no less--and an Aretha Franklin joke. And interesting that the Trump joke was toothless and the Aretha joke was anything but.
I might be the biggest Ronnie Wood fan in my greater circle, and I absolutely loved when Mike Myers portrayed him

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
RolanK wrote:
The acting this season was superb
I agree. Not quite sure what to think of the ending though. All together much more enjoyable than Season 2, but still, hm....
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:Anyone else watching "PEN15"? Having laughed and cringed in equal amounts, my jury's still out.
Have heard/read a lot about it but haven't dared to try it yet. The potential scope and depth of the cringeiness is a big disincentive. Let us know how it develops for you.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:
And funny.
So far so good, but I'm not sure how good. I'm concerned that the shtick is becoming a bit repetitive but we'll see how it goes...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Mrs. and I really liked the first season of Broadchurch so we were surprised and delighted to learn that there are 2 more seasons that had somehow escaped our notice. Season 2 started out miserably - I hate a plot that depends on all the major characters making the stupidest possible decision about anything important in order to create suspense, tension, momentum, etc and that describes the first 2 or 3 episodes. I was starting to root for the lead detectives to be transferred or something. But the series righted itself and was overall quite good i thought. Season 3 didn't reach the best of season 1 but is quality tv. Seasons 2 and 3 taken together represent some interesting groundbreaking (at least as far as I'm aware) approaches, e.g. the crime in season 3 is not murder, the series follows all the major story lines, even those not directly related to the crimes through all 3 seasons. I've seen the latter before but in nowhere near the depth and interwovenness of this one.

The London Spy is... interesting. I liked it but I hesitate to recommend it. It's part spy thriller and part gay love story and the 2 halves don't totally mesh. Unfortunately given my interests (much more in the spy part) the love story was the better part and the spy stuff seems less than fully thought out. But the leads are excellent and the overall production quality including the writing is high (if a little vague on some of the spy stuff).

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:So far so good, but I'm not sure how good. I'm concerned that the shtick is becoming a bit repetitive but we'll see how it goes...
A bit further in and there are glimpses of compassion--some nothing more than a fleeting glance--peeking through. I agree that the vile gruff defeatist would wear thin if that's all we got, but I'm sensing an uneasy struggle with redemption.
What's so engaging (beyond Gervais' black humor, which I've always loved) is his acting: He's damn good at portraying a not-totally-convinced pessimist who hides behind his offensiveness because he's afraid to feel, but still wants those around him to convince him not to kill himself. In other words, he's good at portraying the dilemma of suicide: It's not that he wants to die, he just wants the pain to go away.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

beantownbubba wrote:
scotto wrote:
And funny.
So far so good, but I'm not sure how good. I'm concerned that the shtick is becoming a bit repetitive but we'll see how it goes...
It is great in the compactness of the story arc. After 6 episodes, you know the story is over.I enjoyed it. A few plot issues, but that's OK. That dog must have really belonged to Gervais. If not, it deserves an Emmy.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Just when I was getting ready to post about how much we are enjoying a hugely-improved season 2 of SMILF :roll:

SMILF Canceled Amid Investigation Into Creator Frankie Shaw's On-Set Conduct

Flea

Post by Flea »

Watched the first half of Leaving Neverland last night. Wish I could say I enjoyed it, but even this old jaded asshole was cringing through those admissions.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:Watched the first half of Leaving Neverland last night. Wish I could say I enjoyed it, but even this old jaded asshole was cringing through those admissions.
One of the tougher watches in a long time on this end.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:So far so good, but I'm not sure how good. I'm concerned that the shtick is becoming a bit repetitive but we'll see how it goes...
A bit further in and there are glimpses of compassion--some nothing more than a fleeting glance--peeking through. I agree that the vile gruff defeatist would wear thin if that's all we got, but I'm sensing an uneasy struggle with redemption.
What's so engaging (beyond Gervais' black humor, which I've always loved) is his acting: He's damn good at portraying a not-totally-convinced pessimist who hides behind his offensiveness because he's afraid to feel, but still wants those around him to convince him not to kill himself. In other words, he's good at portraying the dilemma of suicide: It's not that he wants to die, he just wants the pain to go away.
That pretty much nails it. Ultimately I enjoyed it very much and would definitely recommend it.

John A Arkansawyer

I was in need of a quick laugh before work today, and this is what I went for. Every one of these Point/Counterpoint sketches is great--the Wonder Woman review one is just as funny as this one in a whole different way--and this is golden:

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

beantownbubba wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:So the wife tells me that there's this Brit comedy, Fleabag, that's getting raves everywhere from Rotten Tomatoes (100%!) to the New Yorker. So we say why not? Well, maybe because the show (based on one episode and I won't be watching any more) is simply not funny on any level. I could barely make it through the half hour. I fully understand that it could well be us, that we are not only not the target market but are so far out of the market as to be irrelevant, but I'm sorry, I really think it's them. Any fans out there?
Whaaaaaat? I love that show. So much. I think it's super smart and hysterical on every level. I watched it a few years ago and have kept a keen eye on Phoebe Waller-Bridge ever since. I think she's a comedy genius and that her work evokes significant pathos.

I think you should persevere. Even if you hate it. Broaden your horizons. It's very short (mercifully for you, but sadly for me).

Either way, you aren't irrelevant.
That you (and flea, of course, just consider the name) love this show is the world absolutely as it should be and is no surprise. That I disliked it so much really bothers me. I will give it more of a shot, just not right away, lol.
Have you done your homework and given this a try, Bubba? I've seen the first 3 eps of season 2 and I only have 2 words: Magical Perfection.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Hud wrote:
The 'Deadwood' TV series will finally be made into a movie on HBO, the network's programming chief announced Wednesday at the summer Television Critics Association press tour.
So this will be in cinemas soon. I have desperately high hopes for it. Ideally, it's so incredible that I watch it like 5 times and then call everyone I know, "Cocksucker" for the next 6 months.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.