The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: The TV thread

Post by RolanK »

Chernobyl, USA
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Saw episode one of this today. Looks like one of the better Showtime shows in a long time. Alexander Skarsgard is exceptional. Couldn't even tell it was him, he was so quirky and goofy.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

the PBS documentary "Woodstock at 50" is worth a watch. On Netflix now.

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

RolanK wrote:Chernobyl, USA
I watched 3 episodes and had to bail out. Nothing against the quality of the show and the performances, I just couldn't get past just how much I was revulsed by Ailes. This almost never happens to me with film or TV but it was too much in this case. I guess one could say that is a testament to the accuracy of Crowe's performance
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Digging this so far, though it's too soon to make any sort of decisive review. Most recent episode had a phrase that would make for an absolutely tremendous band name:

Aunt Tiffany's Mouth

Also, learned from the same episode that you can buy Jesus but you can't put him on layaway

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

Digging this so far, though it's too soon to make any sort of decisive review. Most recent episode had a phrase that would make for an absolutely tremendous band name:

Aunt Tiffany's Mouth

Also, learned from the same episode that you can buy Jesus but you can't put him on layaway
Walton Goggins should have a role in every film or TV project.
Now it's dark.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Flea wrote:

Aunt Tiffany's Mouth

I agree. Have you heard his interview on Maron? He is absolutely nothing like any character he plays. Very measured, respectful, and almost timid. I really like the show. Way better than the other Danny McBride shows on HBO.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I have now finished season 3 of Wynonna Earp and can highly recommend it. The show has comedy, drama, action, love, friendship, and sacrifice among others. It's well-written and has an engaging ensemble of actors. Seasons 1-3 are available on Netflix. Season 4 will air on SyFy (I think) in 2020 and then show up on Netflix afterward.
The show is filmed on location in Alberta, Canada and makes good use of the local scenery.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:

Aunt Tiffany's Mouth

He's working on it

whatwouldcooleydo?

Been enjoying both of these series. Each features Bashir Salahuddin, who many will know from he recurring role of Keith on GLOW

the most recent episode of South Side had a guest appearance from Jeff Tweedy

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Unforgotten is a very good British crime series focusing on a cold case unit. Excellent acting and puzzling, intense stories but the show is particularly distinguished by its focus on the impact of the crimes and their late discovery on the lives of affected parties. Three 6 episode seasons.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:

Aunt Tiffany's Mouth

I'm pretty sure my wife's gonna kill me if I don't stop singing this song or working "runnin' 'round the house with a pickle in my mouth" into every conversation :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mama told me not to I did anyway, misbehavin'
Dad said don't but I said I'm gonna, misbehavin'
Pies on on the windowsill, swimmin' in the creek
catchin' crawdads and playin' with a stick
I wore lipstick
And I got caught shavin'!
Just two little country kids outside misbehavin'
Teacher said don't, but I said it anyway, misbehavin'
Preacher said don't if you do you're gonna pay, misbehavin'
Kicking and a'spittin' and a'cussin' out loud*
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Playing in the street, look at me outside wavin'!
Just two little kids out there misbehavin'
We thought we was just messing around 'til we met that man in the thorny crown,
he taught us that tricks and mischief leads to Satan
so from now on there's no misbehavin'
Mama won't you look how I've been good now, I'm behavin'
Daddy won't you listen, don't go missin', I'm behavin'
I comb my hair and I brush my teeth
I make my bed and I eat my greens
I wash my hands to keep away from Satan
so no more tricks and no more misbehavin'

*=sounds like something our guys would write

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Flea wrote:

Aunt Tiffany's Mouth

I'm pretty sure my wife's gonna kill me if I don't stop singing this song or working "runnin' 'round the house with a pickle in my mouth" into every conversation :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mama told me not to I did anyway, misbehavin'
Dad said don't but I said I'm gonna, misbehavin'
Pies on on the windowsill, swimmin' in the creek
catchin' crawdads and playin' with a stick
I wore lipstick
And I got caught shavin'!
Just two little country kids outside misbehavin'
Teacher said don't, but I said it anyway, misbehavin'
Preacher said don't if you do you're gonna pay, misbehavin'
Kicking and a'spittin' and a'cussin' out loud*
Running through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Playing in the street, look at me outside wavin'!
Just two little kids out there misbehavin'
We thought we was just messing around 'til we met that man in the thorny crown,
he taught us that tricks and mischief leads to Satan
so from now on there's no misbehavin'
Mama won't you look how I've been good now, I'm behavin'
Daddy won't you listen, don't go missin', I'm behavin'
I comb my hair and I brush my teeth
I make my bed and I eat my greens
I wash my hands to keep away from Satan
so no more tricks and no more misbehavin'

*=sounds like something our guys would write
The kid who played Danny McBride’s younger character was spot on. For all I know it could be his kid. Good shit.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:The kid who played Danny McBride’s younger character was spot on. For all I know it could be his kid. Good shit.
Indeed, that was some uncanny on-target casting

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Keeping Faith, Season 1, a British import on Prime is a puzzler: It is intense, interesting, well acted, challenging and generally a quality product. But geez do they stretch it out. Put it this way, my wife and I were seriously discussing whether it could be cut from 8 episodes to 6 or even 4 (!!). That's a lot of fat even if 4 is a bit exaggerated. Also, because of the bad pacing they had to cram too much into the last episode or 2. Plus the denouement was very unsatisfying and did not pay off on the build up. So I wouldn't discourage you from watching, but you shouldn't jump in w/ both feet either. We figure we'll watch season 2 at some point but we're gonna take a break for now.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Aunt Tiffany's Mouth

Last night's great episode offers up another awesome band name:

Fried Chicken Soda Machine :lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

pretty hilarious moment in this week's season premiere of The Good Place: Shawn is meeting with all of his Bad Place crew and he asks them to sing the official song of the Bad Place, at which point they break into.................... 1-877-KARS-4-KIDS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Official confirmation that the song is indeed evil

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just finished season 1 of No Offence, another British import and another cop show, this one w/ a significant dose of humor. I loved this show and zoomed (i.e. binged) through it, but alas and alack, the last episode of the season was a significant let down. Don't let that dissuade you from watching, but just be aware of what's coming and you'll probably enjoy it more. This show moves so fast and has so much slick dialog/banter that it can be literally hard to follow, but in a good way. Closed captioning definitely recommended for those who speak American. I was aware throughout that I was clearly missing any number of references and in-jokes that required more UK specific pop culture knowledge than I possess but that didn't interfere w/ my enjoyment at all. Highly, highly recommended, especially the early episodes. On to season 2 shortly!

Clams

Post by Clams »

I'm rewatching the last season of Breaking Bad to prep for El Camino.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Forgot that I never posted after catching up w/ season 2 of Fleabag. In a word I thought it was great. No reservations, limitations or "buts." I'm tempted to agree w/ pony girl's characterization of the season as "perfect," but imho there was one imperfection (which did not interfere w/ its greatness): The scene in which Fleabag drops the glass award sculpture thingy is right out of a 60's sitcom and was a boring cliche even then. But that's it for negatives.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:Forgot that I never posted after catching up w/ season 2 of Fleabag. In a word I thought it was great. No reservations, limitations or "buts." I'm tempted to agree w/ pony girl's characterization of the season as "perfect," but imho there was one imperfection (which did not interfere w/ its greatness): The scene in which Fleabag drops the glass award sculpture thingy is right out of a 60's sitcom and was a boring cliche even then. But that's it for negatives.
You forgot to say Phoebe Waller-Bridge is smokin'!
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Forgot that I never posted after catching up w/ season 2 of Fleabag. In a word I thought it was great. No reservations, limitations or "buts." I'm tempted to agree w/ pony girl's characterization of the season as "perfect," but imho there was one imperfection (which did not interfere w/ its greatness): The scene in which Fleabag drops the glass award sculpture thingy is right out of a 60's sitcom and was a boring cliche even then. But that's it for negatives.
A very Zip City post
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
Well, DUH!

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
Flea wrote:
Well, DUH!
100% agree!

Also, she’s hosting SNL tonight

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Well, DUH![/quote]

100% agree!

Also, she’s hosting SNL tonight[/quote]

I’m not the main tv watcher in my house, my wife is. I’ve watched some of Fleabag with my wife and the main character is cute in a quirky way. I’m channeling my inner 14 year old as I post this, but do y’all watch The Duce? Margarita Lavika (?sp?) who plays Abby makes me want to buy a poster and tape it up on my bedroom wall!!!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Beaverdam wrote:
Well, DUH!
100% agree!

Also, she’s hosting SNL tonight[/quote]

I’m not the main tv watcher in my house, my wife is. I’ve watched some of Fleabag with my wife and the main character is cute in a quirky way. I’m channeling my inner 14 year old as I post this, but do y’all watch The Duce? Margarita Lavika (?sp?) who plays Abby makes me want to buy a poster and tape it up on my bedroom wall!!![/quote]

We do indeed watch The Deuce and there are several lovely ladies on this great show

whatwouldcooleydo?

Aunt Tiffany's Mouth

Sunday's season finale was quite good, especially all the incredibly raunchy material from Judy. Loved this gem:

Judy: BJ, I need to tell you: part of my pajama pants are drenched right now. And it’s not drenched with pee.

BJ: It better not be, Judy Gemstone. You save that piss for my chest.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We're several episodes into The Righteous Gemstones and I honestly don't know how I feel about the show. It's incredibly well done, the dark humor is often on point, but somehow it seems like a chore to watch sometimes. Definitely more good than bad but I wish I liked it more. Still any chance to watch Walton Goggins (other than the dreadful Vice Principals) is a good thing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

phungi

Post by phungi »

Surprised to see nothing on El Camino. Won't spoil anything, but it was great to be back in the Breaking Bad universe, even just for 2 hours.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Beaverdam wrote: I’m channeling my inner 14 year old as I post this, but do y’all watch The Duce? Margarita Lavika (?sp?) who plays Abby makes me want to buy a poster and tape it up on my bedroom wall!!!
I'm with ya!!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley