The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brstigerfan

Re: The TV thread

Post by brstigerfan »

I just watched the last two episodes of Breaking Bad's season 3. Holy shit. I think that may have been the best season of any tv drama, period.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

scotto wrote:
Steve French wrote:Who says TV isn't edumacationable? I've just spent half an hour on Wikipedia looking up New Orleans Mardi Gras, Mardi Gras indians, FEMA, and the US&R markings on the buildings...

If you're hooked on the Mardi Gras Indians, go find The Wild Tchoupitoulas album, which is essentially the late Meters/early Nevilles with Big Chief Jolly (aka George Landry) at the mic. And if that gets you, look for the even rarer Wild Magnolias album.
(And Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans" came out in 1959.)

I'm not quite that old. There must be a '70's cover version. Must be the Nitty Gritty Dirt band version. Imagine, if you will, a bunch of really drunk people who have never fucking HEARD of New Orleans much less been there, or in fact more than 50 miles from where they were born, singing this. I left age 17 and never went back.....

I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Steve French wrote:

LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

gerg

Post by gerg »

joelle wrote:all caught up on my treme
real good carnival episode

still goodman fucking kills me. hate his acting with a passion.
no way. no fucking way annie and davis will hook up. so so so wrong.
love the japanese guy being back.

christ ladonna is a force. i say emmy her up. now.

only 2 episodes left?
wtf?
tv season is so short.

Huh. I think Goodman is fantastic in everything he does and definitely in Treme. And I think Annie and Davis are a natural fit. Why would you think that's a bad idea? Her boyfriend is a complete waste of space.

joelle

Post by joelle »

gerg wrote:
joelle wrote:all caught up on my treme
real good carnival episode

still goodman fucking kills me. hate his acting with a passion.
no way. no fucking way annie and davis will hook up. so so so wrong.
love the japanese guy being back.

christ ladonna is a force. i say emmy her up. now.

only 2 episodes left?
wtf?
tv season is so short.

Huh. I think Goodman is fantastic in everything he does and definitely in Treme. And I think Annie and Davis are a natural fit. Why would you think that's a bad idea? Her boyfriend is a complete waste of space.

goodman's 'character' is excellent. ( and yes,he was great in big lebo.)
it feels to me, he is waaayy overacting. too much grunting, bumbling.
honestly, the entire family bothers me. they are important to the story, very important.
can't put my finger on it exactly. hoping they grow on me.

i love annie. i think davis is a goofball.
i agree her boyfriend is a total dick. i hate them together. if she leaves him, it's gonna be trouble, but davis is not the answer.

these are merely nitpicky complaints.
they do not change the admiration and love i have for this show.
i was so looking forward to it, then the 1st 2 episodes sucked, and now i think it is close to brilliant.
i guess i need more practice and patience with tv. usually, i do not watch shows.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

brstigerfan wrote:I just watched the last two episodes of Breaking Bad's season 3. Holy shit. I think that may have been the best season of any tv drama, period.

The season finale was NUTS! Gale is gone and I think Gus and Mike have met their match.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

never going back wrote:
brstigerfan wrote:I just watched the last two episodes of Breaking Bad's season 3. Holy shit. I think that may have been the best season of any tv drama, period.

The season finale was NUTS! Gale is gone and I think Gus and Mike have met their match.

I just hate that we have to wait till next march!
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

funny shit... if Breaking Bad was an ABC sitcom...

scotto

Post by scotto »

Any of you familiar with the BBC series, Pulling?

It features these three ladies...

...trying to make sense of life, love, and drinking too much, often with awkward sex to follow. I swear it's the 3Dimes Night Crew from England come to life.

We just finished the last series and it's a riot.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

The Real L Word on Showtime.
whoa.... :o
Episode one:
The dread locked lady-lovin lover sends one lover off at the airport, then gets in her car, rounds around the airport to another terminal and fucking picks up her next lover. Wow.
NSFW

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

littlemamma wrote:The Real L Word on Showtime.
Episode one:
The dread locked lady-lovin lover sends one lover off at the airport, then gets in her car, rounds around the airport to another terminal and fucking picks up her next lover. Wow.

wait is that the lesbian show? i saw a preview, it looked really good!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Episode one:

Good for her!!! More power girlfriend!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Penny Lane wrote:
Episode one:

by good you mean lots of sweaty girl on girl action? or lots of neurotic types sitting round talking about their feelings?

One would be good, one less so.

I'm loving True Blood this season. Just saying.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Just got home from work and decided to start watching The Wire again for the 4th time from start to finish.

Got a six pack in the fridge and a pizza in the oven. I'm golden.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Through the Wormhole w/Morgan Freeman (aka God)

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

anyone seen "friday night lights"?

someone lent me seasons 1-3 and i watched all of season 1 this weekend..it was SO good. the acting...the storylines...the MUSIC (recurring (bright eyes covered) daniel johnston song 'devils town', whiskeytown, etc)...also i have crushes on the coach and that kid Landry..i love dry senses of humor.

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

Penny Lane wrote:anyone seen "friday night lights"?

someone lent me seasons 1-3 and i watched all of season 1 this weekend..it was SO good. the acting...the storylines...the MUSIC (recurring (bright eyes covered) daniel johnston song 'devils town', whiskeytown, etc)...also i have crushes on the coach and that kid Landry..i love dry senses of humor.

Yea i used to keep up with it, it goes straight downhill after season 2 unfortunately. I think mostly due to the writers strike.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Flood18 wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:anyone seen "friday night lights"?

Yea i used to keep up with it, it goes straight downhill after season 2 unfortunately. I think mostly due to the writers strike.

oh NO!! i wanted to move to TX and play high school football!! there goes the dream....it's seriously a great season 1. i tackle season 2 this week.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Steve French said:

Penny Lane wrote:

Episode one:

by good you mean lots of sweaty girl on girl action? or lots of neurotic types sitting round talking about their feelings?

One would be good, one less so.

That was quite succinctly put, Mr. French. Can I call you Mr. French (if only on this T.V. thread). Mr. French was this suave, dapper butler (played by Burl Ives); on this mindnumbingly vapid 60's sitcom (even by 60's standards). The only thing noteworthy about it was how deluxe Mr. French was (and that I think one of the child actors later od'ed or punched their ticket early). It was called Family Affair, and it was terrible beyond any standard of measurement. The only reason anyone watched it was because whatever else was on the other 2 channels anyone got was somehow just a little worse. Having said that, I'd probably rather watch Family Affair reruns than The Real L Word on Showtime. Sorry ladies.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Slipkid42 wrote:That was quite succinctly put, Mr. French. Can I call you Mr. French (if only on this T.V. thread). Mr. French was this suave, dapper butler (played by Burl Ives); on this mindnumbingly vapid 60's sitcom (even by 60's standards). The only thing noteworthy about it was how deluxe Mr. French was (and that I think one of the child actors later od'ed or punched their ticket early). It was called Family Affair, and it was terrible beyond any standard of measurement. The only reason anyone watched it was because whatever else was on the other 2 channels anyone got was somehow just a little worse. Having said that, I'd probably rather watch Family Affair reruns than The Real L Word on Showtime. Sorry ladies.

Actually, he was played by Sebastian Cabot. Yes, I am deeply saddened that I knew that.

and later, he did this:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I was all over sebastian cabot = mr french, but i had no clue about that other thing, TC, and i think my life was better before i knew. WTF is that? And why?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

watched seasons 1 and 2 this weekend.

excellent. edie falco is the bomb.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

sex and feelings. Monday morning playdates will need serious separation from the tv room and play room from now on...
NSFW

The Black Canary

"Lie to Me' seems to be coming off the back burner for me.

Still on the fence with the new "Law * Order Criminal Intent" whilst I do like Jeff Goldblum not to sure about his female counter part. She seems a little one dimensional, flat and just a little out of reach for the "intelligence" of Goldblum's character. It is though they are trying to make them look like Sherlock and Dr Watson. Brilliant but troubled genious with his somewhat slower than usual partner. Eh so far with the new talent.

The Black Canary

Penny,

Albie came clean last night on RHWNJ!!!! boo whooo!!!! poor baby!!!! He should have been working and not partying and playing poker if he was already on academic probation !!!! DUH!!!! OMG he has a 1.93 GPA, and was told he does not have what it takes to be a lawyer, so move on and rethink your career!!!! NO Shit Sherlock (ok so I am 12 again on that one) Seriously if you can not run with the big dogs, get the F off the road!!!! Go lay in a ditch, dig a ditch, move on to new territory!!!!

Watching RHWNJ can and does make my blood boil!!!! And the other brother with the car washes and the sister the hairdresser. OMG these kids have everything handed to them, to make something out of their lives and they just fall flat of reaching for any thing of any value. Yes I know there is nothing wrong with car washes and hairdressed.

But when you have the opportunity to get a good education without 100K in student loans hanging over you for the next 10-20 years, your an FRKN' IDIOT!!!! to not take advantage of it!!!! UGH These Jersey people just make my skin crawl!!!!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

The Black Canary wrote:Penny,

Albie came clean last night on RHWNJ!!!! boo whooo!!!! poor baby!!!! He should have been working and not partying and playing poker if he was already on academic probation !!!! DUH!!!! OMG he has a 1.93 GPA, and was told he does not have what it takes to be a lawyer, so move on and rethink your career!!!! NO Shit Sherlock (ok so I am 12 again on that one) Seriously if you can not run with the big dogs, get the F off the road!!!! Go lay in a ditch, dig a ditch, move on to new territory!!!!

Watching RHWNJ can and does make my blood boil!!!! And the other brother with the car washes and the sister the hairdresser. OMG these kids have everything handed to them, to make something out of their lives and they just fall flat of reaching for any thing of any value. Yes I know there is nothing wrong with car washes and hairdressed.

But when you have the opportunity to get a good education without 100K in student loans hanging over you for the next 10-20 years, your an FRKN' IDIOT!!!! to not take advantage of it!!!! UGH These Jersey people just make my skin crawl!!!!

ohhhh i always forget which night it's on....

i knew it was a lie because at Seton Hall, if you get 2 Ds your first semester, they put you on probation...and then they only let you take a few classes at one time..this kid was full time so he had all his days free to study. i got a D my first semester (my only D ever) because i had no idea how to take a law school exam, and i missed the review because My Morning Jacket played (either Hammerstein or Bowery Ballroom) that night and I couldn't miss it (fall/winter of 2006)...the funny thing was..I had seen my Contracts Professor at a Yo La Tengo concert the 3rd week of school and i really liked him and his class, and he's the guy who gave me a D (digression)...so I KNOW If Albie flunked out, it wasn't due to a learning disability, it was because he jacked around.

yeah most of these privileged reality tv show kids make me want to puke....my parents never had anything to give me and i never expected anything ..and i'm better for it. i'm as well-rounded as they come and it's because i've worked for everything i have..these kids are worthless.....i'm glad all those women lost their houses in the OC and also that Theresa from HWNJ had to declare bankruptcy...did you think paying $150,000 in cash for furniture on television when your husband's in CONSTRUCTION is not gonna get you audited? i almost hope the NJ show ends...NY is great, those are some hardworking women on there and i dig that....the rest of those Real Housewife shows are terrible.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Actually, he was played by Sebastian Cabot. Yes, I am deeply saddened that I knew that.

Jeez, I'm geezin'. I'd like to say Sebastian & Burl looked alike, but I can't even remember that for sure. In a sordid smug sorta way, I'm kinda glad I've been able to let some of that minutiae go. Frenchy was cool, though, and that was even before I found out he partnered w/ Dylan. Who'da thunk it?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Top Shot.
Reality marksmanship.
This is crazy that I like this show.
NSFW

Clams

Post by Clams »

Anyone watch Royal Pains on USA?