The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

305 Engine

Re: The TV thread

Post by 305 Engine »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:47 pm
Yes, the ending is intense. But also, SPOILER ALERT, imo the "right way" to end the story. There was just no way there could be a happy ending. It was never "ment to be".
May not be the ending. They want to do another one.

But you're right. If it's the ending, its a good one and fits perfectly.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:37 pm
[quote=RolanK post_id=371472 time=<a href="tel:1602956865">1602956865</a> user_id=2795]
Yes, the ending is intense. But also, SPOILER ALERT, imo the "right way" to end the story. There was just no way there could be a happy ending. It was never "ment to be".
May not be the ending. They want to do another one.

But you're right. If it's the ending, its a good one and fits perfectly.
[/quote]

It definitely was not meant to be, no question about that. And while they could have achieved the same result in other ways please don’t think I was complaining about the ending. Intense and powerful are not bad things 😊
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A French Village - A multi season in-depth look at an occupied French village (duh!) on the border between occupied and Vichy France in WWII. The basic structure is that each season covers one year of the war. Overall it is excellent but it is long enough that it drags a bit in the middle when it gets a bit too "soap oper-y" and the last season feels tacked on, presumably "by popular demand' and does not measure up. But for the most part the characters are fully realized, well rounded, non-caricaturish human beings who are challenged and asked a whole lot of very difficult questions under trying circumstances and don't always have the answers. Very insightful and manages to keep to good TV drama while raising some of the hardest issues/questions any of us might expect to ever face. Highly recommended, but I'd draw the line on the watch fewer episodes over more days rather than binge it. Much of it is very intense, often 2 episodes would wipe me out.

The Queen's Gambit - When you look back on it, this actually follows a fairly frequently trod formula, but it absolutely masters it and the viewer doesn't mind at all. Great story, well told and the lead actress is an absolute powerhouse, a revelation. She's done a few things but I was not familiar with her before this and you can be sure I'll be following her career w/ interest. There's only so much one can do to make watching chess matches interesting but I'd say the show generally does it pretty well, mostly by giving a sense of the momentum and direction of play rather than trying to show individual moves.

Never Have I Ever - A Mindy Kaling comedy focusing on, what else?, an Indian teenager in HS. Another show that hits mostly typical notes but does it really, really well and is occasionally laugh out loud funny and nicely irreverent while both supporting and poking fun at various stereotypes. I won't spoil it but the narrator is surprising, really out of left field, but does a great job and is one of the real pluses on the show.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

idk when exactly i gave up on the season coming together as anything close to good but i kept watching anyway and now im so stoked to be done with this season of fargo. what a complete piece of shit. amazing how it managed to have at least half a dozen characters too many and yet remain an absolute bore.

spoilers ahead

ill grant that covid played a role but the finale being a solid 10 minutes shorter than any other episode, with several recap montages and quiet slow motion scenes, was ridiculous. i figured with so many characters they insisted on putting in the spotlight it would at least be a fast paced finale but not even close. none of the plot was surprising and none of the characters elicited enough of any sort of feeling to give a shit one way or the other what happened to them. the only thing i actually cared about going in was finding out how exactly satchel became mike milligan, but they did jack shit with that other than a post-credits bokeem woodbine cameo that felt like getting elbowed in the gut repeatedly. if they wanted that to be The Big Reveal they shouldnt have given satchels guardian the last name milligan to give it away from episode 1! and speaking of rabbi he was probably the most overall interesting character in the show and they wrote him out in nothing more than a tryhard coen brothers/wizard of oz easter egg. there really werent many good characters this time around but the writers seemed to have no clue what to do with what they did have. the screentime devoted to nobodies and characters that were actively irritating in a way that did nothing for the story (unlike david thewlis in season 3, who was repulsive and magnetic at the same time) boggled the mind.

might also be as simple as this season was doomed from the start because they gambled on chris rock and jason schwartzman as the leads and neither came remotely close to selling their roles.

this was the first season i watched as it aired and from reading comments around the internet im surprised season 3 is viewed so harshly by so many. i thought it definitely slipped from what made the show so special (the global conspiracy angles were very cringey) but was still really good with some top notch performances. this season was just such an all-in trip down all its worst tendencies (good god the extended monologues were painful) i can only hope its the last one. seeing articles talking about this season as some powerful commentary on race in america is just laughable. it did have potential to be exactly that but then the black side is just as power hungry and inept and full of infighting as the white side but gets predictably screwed in the end and theres just nothing there

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:30 pm
The Queen's Gambit - When you look back on it, this actually follows a fairly frequently trod formula, but it absolutely masters it and the viewer doesn't mind at all. Great story, well told and the lead actress is an absolute powerhouse, a revelation. She's done a few things but I was not familiar with her before this and you can be sure I'll be following her career w/ interest. There's only so much one can do to make watching chess matches interesting but I'd say the show generally does it pretty well, mostly by giving a sense of the momentum and direction of play rather than trying to show individual moves.
I finished this a few weeks ago. Enjoyed it. Talented actor. Pretty good story and character development. I was wondering about the chess content (or lack thereof) though. I am not into Chess other than the basics, playing it as a kid and the realization it would give me a headache if I was to learn to play it the way it is supposed to be played (like many things in my life). I assume someone who is into the game would be able say to what extent the show succeeded in presenting the real suspense of the game the way chess players understand it?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Anybody watching Damnation? Just finished the first season and can't wait for the second. :)
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The new Netflix series Lupin is very enjoyable in a "light entertainment" kind of way. But beware: What they don't tell you is that the show abruptly ends in midseason. Seriously annoying and frustrating. Apparently the rest of the season is coming at some point but I really don't get this manner of presentation.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Been watching Scorsese's Fran Lebowitz show on Netflix and enjoyed it.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

RolanK wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:56 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:30 pm
I finished this a few weeks ago. Enjoyed it. Talented actor. Pretty good story and character development. I was wondering about the chess content (or lack thereof) though. I am not into Chess other than the basics, playing it as a kid and the realization it would give me a headache if I was to learn to play it the way it is supposed to be played (like many things in my life). I assume someone who is into the game would be able say to what extent the show succeeded in presenting the real suspense of the game the way chess players understand it?
Al from Sleep/Om is a chess player (and i think at one time was a coach) and i asked him about it. he said it was very accurate and used historical references truthfully, with various moves and strategies. i think he said Kasparov might have been a consultant for the show?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

9 seasons? damn. i tihnk i am just into the 2nd

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

RolanK wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:04 pm
Been watching Scorsese's Fran Lebowitz show on Netflix and enjoyed it.
She was on Fresh Air with Terry Gross recently discussing her new Netflix special. Sounds intriguing.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:02 pm
9 seasons? damn. i tihnk i am just into the 2nd
Episodes and seasons are all pretty short so it'll fly by.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Babylon Berlin - Interesting sometimes compelling but very uneven. Sometimes the "confusion adds to the air of menace and dread" thing gets carried way too far into wtf? land. Overall well worth watching especially the first couple of seasons. Both leads are fantastic.

The Morning Show - Heard a ton about this before getting access to apple tv to be able to watch it. The acting is terrific throughout. The early episodes move between fresh, puncy & original on the one hand and too cliched on the other but way more of the former. Really great tv. Unfortunately the last 3 or so episodes slide fairly quickly into formula tv and the last episode is roll your eyes territory. If you go in forewarned I'd still highly recommend it.

Occupied - On the last season now and it unfortunately does not look like it will live up to the rest. The first 2 seasons are highly recommended. Serious, taut drama raising lots of big questions some of which are directly applicable to our current political situation even though it's set in Norway. The acting is mostly very good w/ a couple of exceptions and the switching languages can be equal parts fun and confusing but Bente (sp?) (the restaurant owner) steals every scene she's in, in whatever language she's speaking. Seriously talented, amazingly beautiful.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Hud wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 pm
Any fans of Steve Conrad’s Perpetual Grace or Patriot?
2 of the best series ever!
Did a search to see if anyone had brought up these shows. They are so good and unlike anything else I've ever seen on television. Can't recommend highly enough.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:51 am
beantownbubba wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:Image
very much, most excellent.
Title sounds like a thriller/adventure thing, but the pic sort of makes it look comedic. Can you spare us a few descriptive words, dime?
dark comedy thriller about a depressed folk singing assassin who must gain employment (for NOC reasons) at a milwaukee based manufacturer of industrial piping. his real father is his cia boss and his younger brother is a track suit wearing, beastie boy loving helper of his assassin deeds. top notch. great cast. snappy nonsense "piping" dialogue. amazing to look at and listen to. sad man in a suit.

highly recommended.
have not seen perpetual grace yet.

so bummed patriot not coming back.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I was thrilled to learn that Ed Burns has a new TV series, called Bridge and Tunnel. Perhaps you can imagine my disappointment when the first episode was just slightly above totally awful. I suppose I'll give it another episode or 2 before giving up on it, but I will really have to talk myself into watching.

Berlin Station is a very good example of our recent TV watching. A lot of quality in front and behind the camera, some wonderful episodes, some challenging themes and issues explored pretty well for TV, at its best pretty intense and absorbing and overall good enough to keep our interest, but too many boring episodes that feel like filler just to stretch the season. Also a couple of mystifying important plot developments which they don't even try to explain; I guess they just expect the viewer to accept that strange, inexplicable things happen, especially when needed to advance the plot, Worth watching, and very au courant on some important international political issues, but not as good as it should be. Created and partially written by Olen Steinaur, one of the better spy thriller writers currently working.

Flea

Post by Flea »

I just finished the first season of "Barry" with Bill Hader. Damn fine show.
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Flea wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:52 pm

It's great. Can't wait for the next season (whenever that happens)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:14 pm
Flea wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:52 pm

It's great. Can't wait for the next season (whenever that happens)
This guy steals the show.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

We recently started rewatching Justified. I knew that I liked the show the first go round, but it is amazing.

When I try to describe the show to people who aren’t familiar with it, I say that it’s like Walker Texas Ranger with really good acting!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Irony...I posted this on3DD then watched an episode before bed, and it happened to be the one with Boyd listening to “I Do Believe”!
Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 pm
We recently started rewatching Justified. I knew that I liked the show the first go round, but it is amazing.

When I try to describe the show to people who aren’t familiar with it, I say that it’s like Walker Texas Ranger with really good acting!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 pm

Great series. Fine adaptation of Elmore Leonard, maybe best since Jackie Brown.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:32 pm
I was thrilled to learn that Ed Burns has a new TV series, called Bridge and Tunnel. Perhaps you can imagine my disappointment when the first episode was just slightly above totally awful. I suppose I'll give it another episode or 2 before giving up on it, but I will really have to talk myself into watching.

Berlin Station is a very good example of our recent TV watching. A lot of quality in front and behind the camera, some wonderful episodes, some challenging themes and issues explored pretty well for TV, at its best pretty intense and absorbing and overall good enough to keep our interest, but too many boring episodes that feel like filler just to stretch the season. Also a couple of mystifying important plot developments which they don't even try to explain; I guess they just expect the viewer to accept that strange, inexplicable things happen, especially when needed to advance the plot, Worth watching, and very au courant on some important international political issues, but not as good as it should be. Created and partially written by Olen Steinaur, one of the better spy thriller writers currently working.
Have you noticed how popular Berlin is as a setting for books, movies and tv series? Even beyond classic war and spy stories set during WWII or the Cold War. It seems like writers can't get enough of the Berlin of the 20's, 30's and post Cold War period. It's understandable; those are fascinating periods. I only mention because it seems like we've been watching an unusual number of shows w/ Berlin in the title.

So we watched the second episode of Bridge and Tunnel. It was worse than the first and is probably the last one we'll watch. Very disappointing. I will say that the cast is almost uniformly gorgeous, so that's something I guess.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:14 pm
Have you noticed how popular Berlin is as a setting for books, movies and tv series? Even beyond classic war and spy stories set during WWII or the Cold War. It seems like writers can't get enough of the Berlin of the 20's, 30's and post Cold War period. It's understandable; those are fascinating periods. I only mention because it seems like we've been watching an unusual number of shows w/ Berlin in the title.
and bowie.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:11 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:14 pm
and bowie.
Yes! Bowie's influence and presence seems to be everywhere in the post-Cold War stuff. I may be imagining it and there's a bit of a chicken & egg question about it, but I also feel like his influence is pervasive even in the shows based in the early 20th century in terms of costumes, sets, androgyny and so forth.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Anyone watching "Dark"? Very enjoyable and well done, but I'll be damned if I can follow what 's going on.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Pick hit: Only 3 episodes in, but I'm loving Ginny & Georgia, a new series on Netflix. It no doubt helps that the series is largely set in a fictional town that is clearly supposed to be the town next to mine and that my city got a shout out in one of the episodes. It is yet another teen high school dramedy with mother-daughter conflict but to me it seems at a much higher than typical level and while I can only guess at its accuracy, it seems pretty on point to me, at least as to up scale white suburbs. Also the "love/hate/exasperation thing between mother and daughter is really well done and the "single mother at 15 trying to survive" angle on the Mom works really well. The 2 central title characters are daughter and mom and are terrific, though the Mom at times overdoes the Julia Roberts thing in general and the Julia Roberts of Pretty Woman in particular. The supporting actors tend to the more stereotypical, especially the adults, but they're mostly there to play assigned roles for the main characters to play off of and at least so far it all works for me. Hopefully they can keep up the high energy and the excellent writing.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

WARNING SPOILER ALERT THE AMERICANS WARNING SPOILER ALERT THE AMERICANS

So it turns out that the half life of "too emotionally associated with Bryan to watch" is 5.5 years and my wife and I have started (in my case, re-started) the classic spy drama The Americans. It is as good as I remembered and Keri Russell. But a question that has me totally confused:

The Soviets have a mole w/in the American anti missile defense bureaucracy and he's melting down. Unfortunately for the Soviets, the meltdown is occurring at a time when American counterintelligence is putting on a full court press and the Soviets can't risk contact w/ their asset. Vasili & Arkady representing the old guard and new guard of the Soviet spy world spend much time deciding what to do. Eventually despite the risks Vasili sets up a meet w/ the asset the net result of which is that Elizabeth kills the asset. Two questions: Are Vasili and Arkady agreed on this plan? (I think yes). Why do they kill the asset? I can't figure that out - I suppose he risks exposing the rest of the network but the asset is clearly the linchpin of that network and it seems unlikely to survive his murder. Otherwise this would seem to be a net loss based on all the motivations and concerns expressed by both old and new guard.

Related: Why do TV and movie spies always wear fancy clothes even when they set out on a totally physical, dirty assignment (i.e. they aren't forced into it while spending the day at the office)? This happens all the time but Stan sneaking into the Jennings's garage late at night during non work hours in his suit reminded me of how annoying i find this. :)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:05 pm
Pick hit: Only 3 episodes in, but I'm loving Ginny & Georgia, a new series on Netflix. It no doubt helps that the series is largely set in a fictional town that is clearly supposed to be the town next to mine and that my city got a shout out in one of the episodes. It is yet another teen high school dramedy with mother-daughter conflict but to me it seems at a much higher than typical level and while I can only guess at its accuracy, it seems pretty on point to me, at least as to up scale white suburbs. Also the "love/hate/exasperation thing between mother and daughter is really well done and the "single mother at 15 trying to survive" angle on the Mom works really well. The 2 central title characters are daughter and mom and are terrific, though the Mom at times overdoes the Julia Roberts thing in general and the Julia Roberts of Pretty Woman in particular. The supporting actors tend to the more stereotypical, especially the adults, but they're mostly there to play assigned roles for the main characters to play off of and at least so far it all works for me. Hopefully they can keep up the high energy and the excellent writing.
It turns out, perhaps not coincidentally that the creator of Ginny & Georgia went to my kids' high school and was a freshman when my younger son was a senior. Since she was apparently big into theater my son presumably knew her at least somewhat.