The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

njMark

Re: The TV thread

Post by njMark »

I've read it and her other two novels and after seeing the movie adaptation of Dark Places ( my fav of the 3 ) I'm a little apprehensive of seeing her work poorly translated into a movie/TV show again. I'm going to watch the show once I have time but considering the themes in the book, I'm curious how they portray her um, habit.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Anyone watch(ing) The Tunnel? Binged the first 4 episodes last nite and am definitely hooked.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:Anyone watch(ing) The Tunnel? Binged the first 4 episodes last nite and am definitely hooked.
May have spoken a little too soon. Finished season 1. Definitely enjoyed and will watch more but it fell short of the greatness that it seemed to be heading towards in the first few episodes. OTOH, watched all 10 episodes in 2 sittings so you might want to look at what I did rather than what I'm saying.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bosch season 4. Excellent. Absorbing. Interesting in many sophisticated ways (character development, motivations, complex plot that makes sense). Probably the best season so far. But w/ one huge problem - the way they handled the KTK subplot was mystifying and inexplicable (except for my speculation that they must have figured out part way through that they'd never be able to explore that plot line in the time allotted).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm beginning to think it must be me. It seems like so many things I watch and read start out great but end up disappointing me by the end. We can add Jack Ryan to the list. The first 5 or so episodes were excellent but the last couple were real duds that imho did not live up to the promise of the early episodes and ended w/ a very standard and boring chase scene w/ remarkably accurate shooting by the good guys. <SNORE>. Oh well. Definitely worth watching for the early episodes which are pretty true to the Ryan and Greer characters and the very subtle and insightful way they portray the Arab characters.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Scott & Bailey - About halfway through this BBC cop show and I can't recommend it highly enough. There have been plenty of other cop series featuring femaie leads and female partnerships but I can't think of any that is so captivating because of the quality of the depiction of the lead and supporting women. This show could only have been written by women (and it is) and it is much the better for it. The crime solving is fine, sometimes compelling, but it's the professional and personal relationships that ring so true and so interestingly. The 2 leads plus "the boss" are all terrific characters terrifically well acted. And Suranne Jones and Amelia Bullmore are both very beautiful in unconventional ways that fit perfectly w/ their characters. Yes, ok, I'm a little bit in love w/ Suranne Jones (who I'd never heard of before but who has apparently been quite busy in British TV) but all of the above is still true. But when did Brits start calling the loo/WC/toilet the "bathroom?"

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

is anybody watching kidding on showtime? i was extremely excited for this based on jim carrey and michel gondry, who have done things i love on their own and together. so far its got a lot of what i hoped for (carrey in particular is great. always nice to be reminded that stars at his level, especially comedic ones, can still be brilliant) but its a bit slow and neither episode has felt particularly self contained, so im not sure if the traditional weekly tv series format was the right fit for the story.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I finally got to see most of the first season of The Good Place, and it is delightful! I'm going to figure out a way to see the rest.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I finally got to see most of the first season of The Good Place, and it is delightful! I'm going to figure out a way to see the rest.
Forkin’ delightful! Powered through at least half of season 2 last night
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

The post above reminded me of what I would consider the best night of TV ever: CBS Saturday lineup in the mid 70s. All In The Family @ 8 PM, them MASH, MTM, The Bob Newhart Show, and ending with Carol Burnett at 10.
Now it's dark.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

From the same writer as 'Line of Duty'. Excellent series on the BBC.

Also

Think this will be on netflix soon for US viewers. Highly recommended. It's about a Russian assassin being tracked by the British secret service. It's well written, very funny, quite violent and the acting is top notch. Based on Luke Jennings's Codename Villanelle novella series, which might mean something to some of you.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

whatwouldcooleydo?

Season 2 of American Vandal (Netflix) is pretty entertaining, we like it

I wonder if I am the only one who has never (and likely will never) seen Doctor Who

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

OK, watching The Degenerates on Netflix... looking for some Joey Diaz standup, but that's another story. Opening episode intro music is "Where The Devil Don't Stay" ...Winner already
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Season 2 of American Vandal (Netflix) is pretty entertaining, we like it

I wonder if I am the only one who has never (and likely will never) seen Doctor Who
You're not alone
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

drommel56 wrote:OK, watching The Degenerates on Netflix... looking for some Joey Diaz standup, but that's another story. Opening episode intro music is "Where The Devil Don't Stay" ...Winner already
Joey did not disappoint.
And, "Degenerates" is as advertised.
Right in my wheelhouse.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Started watching this a week ago or so. More or less been bingeing first three season, and now at season 4.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So the wife tells me that there's this Brit comedy, Fleabag, that's getting raves everywhere from Rotten Tomatoes (100%!) to the New Yorker. So we say why not? Well, maybe because the show (based on one episode and I won't be watching any more) is simply not funny on any level. I could barely make it through the half hour. I fully understand that it could well be us, that we are not only not the target market but are so far out of the market as to be irrelevant, but I'm sorry, I really think it's them. Any fans out there?

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

beantownbubba wrote:So the wife tells me that there's this Brit comedy, Fleabag, that's getting raves everywhere from Rotten Tomatoes (100%!) to the New Yorker. So we say why not? Well, maybe because the show (based on one episode and I won't be watching any more) is simply not funny on any level. I could barely make it through the half hour. I fully understand that it could well be us, that we are not only not the target market but are so far out of the market as to be irrelevant, but I'm sorry, I really think it's them. Any fans out there?
Whaaaaaat? I love that show. So much. I think it's super smart and hysterical on every level. I watched it a few years ago and have kept a keen eye on Phoebe Waller-Bridge ever since. I think she's a comedy genius and that her work evokes significant pathos.

I think you should persevere. Even if you hate it. Broaden your horizons. It's very short (mercifully for you, but sadly for me).

Either way, you aren't irrelevant.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

Flea

Post by Flea »

PonyGirl wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:So the wife tells me that there's this Brit comedy, Fleabag, that's getting raves everywhere from Rotten Tomatoes (100%!) to the New Yorker. So we say why not? Well, maybe because the show (based on one episode and I won't be watching any more) is simply not funny on any level. I could barely make it through the half hour. I fully understand that it could well be us, that we are not only not the target market but are so far out of the market as to be irrelevant, but I'm sorry, I really think it's them. Any fans out there?
Whaaaaaat? I love that show. So much. I think it's super smart and hysterical on every level. I watched it a few years ago and have kept a keen eye on Phoebe Waller-Bridge ever since. I think she's a comedy genius and that her work evokes significant pathos.

I think you should persevere. Even if you hate it. Broaden your horizons. It's very short (mercifully for you, but sadly for me).

I really liked that show too. Phoebe Waller Bridge is both damn funny and smokin'!
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Does anybody watch "The Guest Book" from "My Name is Earl" creator Greg Garcia? It's in its second season but having just discovered it a few weeks ago we're just several episodes in. To me it's not for binge watching, it's more for a quick burst of laughter and I'm not a binge watcher anyway, but it's funny as shit. I haven't liked a sitcom in years but this one is some nice absurdist humor.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PonyGirl wrote:

That you (and flea, of course, just consider the name) love this show is the world absolutely as it should be and is no surprise. That I disliked it so much really bothers me. I will give it more of a shot, just not right away, lol.

whatwouldcooleydo?

It’s been a while since I watched Fleabag but I recall enjoying it. Also, Phoebe is immensely appealing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Season 3 of The Tunnel: The intensity was there; the wonderfully drawn great characters where there; the sophisticated storytelling was mostly there; but in the end, it was pretty clear why this was the last season and why it wasn't even a full season (6 episodes as opposed to the previous 8). I guess they just ran out of gas 'cause this plot was convoluted for no reason, some of the tangential plot lines never got fully resolved and even the main story was far from compelling. The bad guys just didn't make sense to me. So, a bit of a letdown, but damn I'm gonna miss those folks. Truly memorable characters.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

dogstar wrote:Image

Think this will be on netflix soon for US viewers. Highly recommended. It's about a Russian assassin being tracked by the British secret service. It's well written, very funny, quite violent and the acting is top notch. Based on Luke Jennings's Codename Villanelle novella series, which might mean something to some of you.
Phoebe Waller-Bridge also wrote this - she's not in it though.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I recently binged on the first 3/4 or so of season 2 of Jessica Jones and the first episode of season 2 of Mrs. Maisel.

JJ is not at all what I expected; it's going off in a lot of directions most of them interesting and challenging and all of it incredibly intense. I was exhausted after my last viewing session. Trish moves from babe to skank and back again w/ alarming ease. Jessica is great in pretty much all ways. Malcolm is finally getting to be a 3d human.

Alas, I have nothing good to say about Mrs. Maisel. The season 2 debut didn't quite suck, but it didn't have much going for it. Cliches and lazy writing everywhere you looked, loving stereotypes stretched to ridiculous and annoying caricatures, and for the most part just not funny. Plus the husband is still around and she still claims to be in love w/ him which I find annoying as hell and absurd, respectively. I will give it more of a chance but boy that was disappointing.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I watched Godless and thought it was great. It's a 7 episode Western miniseries. Highly recommended.

I'm now watching Frontier which is set in the late 1700s in the vicinity of Hudson Bay, Canada. The plot is centered around one character's desire for revenge and also the machinations surrounding the fur trade at the time. I've watched all of Season 1 and have started Season 2. It's an enjoyable watch so far.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:I recently binged on the first 3/4 or so of season 2 of Jessica Jones and the first episode of season 2 of Mrs. Maisel.

JJ is not at all what I expected; it's going off in a lot of directions most of them interesting and challenging and all of it incredibly intense. I was exhausted after my last viewing session. Trish moves from babe to skank and back again w/ alarming ease. Jessica is great in pretty much all ways. Malcolm is finally getting to be a 3d human.

Alas, I have nothing good to say about Mrs. Maisel. The season 2 debut didn't quite suck, but it didn't have much going for it. Cliches and lazy writing everywhere you looked, loving stereotypes stretched to ridiculous and annoying caricatures, and for the most part just not funny. Plus the husband is still around and she still claims to be in love w/ him which I find annoying as hell and absurd, respectively. I will give it more of a chance but boy that was disappointing.
Jessica Jones finished strong; I thought season 2 was better than the first season and I liked the first season. The "network" confirmed at the end of season 2 that there will be a season 3 and I was very glad to hear that. Something to look forward to. Alas, spinoff Luke Cage is, judging on 3 episodes nowhere near up to snuff. Had to stop watching because despite really liking the main character I found the show as a whole to be boring and ridiculous. I do give them points for grappling w/ the experience of young black and hispanic men in today's urban jungle, but it's not nearly enough, especially given all the stereotyped characters and absurd plot.

Watched a couple more episodes of Mrs Maisel which were thankfully better than the first one but still not up to the season one standard. Haven't been in a hurry to watch more but I will eventually catch up with it and am hoping for the best.

I really liked the relatively brief series Bodyguard. I thought that the plot got a little too convoluted for its own good for a while but overall it was very enjoyable and kept me glued to my seat and the main characters were very likeable and mostly very real.

Watched the first season of Goliath and enjoyed it very much, too. Billy Bob is immensely likeable and very right for the main part and he obviously carries the show. I guess it's a good test of a show's quality if it remains enjoyable/watchable even if the plot is preposterous, which this one certainly is. Essentially, the show's momentum carries it past the huge holes in the plot and while I wouldn't want every show I watch to be like that, as an occasional thing it's fine. So I'm on to season 2 and we'll see how that goes.

Clams

Post by Clams »

just watched season 1 episode 1 of Mrs Maisel last night.

Also I recently watched all 4 seasons of Narcos and really enjoyed it. Big crush on Tata Escobar.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

We're enjoying this. Set in England, looks like the Breakfast Club, is all over the place time wise, very funny and quite rude (there's a clue in the title). And Gillian Anderson is still ridiculously hot.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

dogstar wrote:Image

We're enjoying this. Set in England, looks like the Breakfast Club, is all over the place time wise, very funny and quite rude (there's a clue in the title). And Gillian Anderson is still ridiculously hot.
I tried. Got a couple of episodes in, then stopped. Felt this wasn't directed at my age group. Maybe I need to give it another try.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa