The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The TV thread

Post by beantownbubba »

Watched the first episode of Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix and loved it. Looking forward to watching more.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Three episodes into the latest season of Letterkenny and man has that show gone down hill. The first 6 or 7 seasons were absolutely hilarious, one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. But the slide that started last season as really turned into a slippery slope. Too bad.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

:|
Last edited by Clams on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Since I'm a true crime aficionado/degenerate, I have been watching the Alex Murdaugh trial wire-to-wire. It's another one of those southern crime stories that could be ripped from a DBT song or be the basis of a new one.

Was very excited to learn Hulu is doing a dramatized series based on the story since they've done some fantastic re-tellings of high profile crimes in the past few years.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

People rave about “The Last of Us”. Have seen the first three episodes. Some good moments, but not convinced yet.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:48 am
Watched the first episode of Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix and loved it. Looking forward to watching more.
I promise not to do an episode by episode recap but the second episode was merely enjoyable, nowhere near the quality of the first.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Your Honor on HBO. I find it difficult not to associate Bryan Cranston’s character with Walter White.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

RolanK wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:30 am
People rave about “The Last of Us”. Have seen the first three episodes. Some good moments, but not convinced yet.
I am in a place where I look forward to it each week and am generally in, but I also think it is somewhat overrated.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

brettac1 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:43 pm
Since I'm a true crime aficionado/degenerate, I have been watching the Alex Murdaugh trial wire-to-wire. It's another one of those southern crime stories that could be ripped from a DBT song or be the basis of a new one.

Was very excited to learn Hulu is doing a dramatized series based on the story since they've done some fantastic re-tellings of high profile crimes in the past few years.
So I successfully watched the entire trial and it was quite a spectacle.

In the meantime, I also watched the Netflix series on the case that was released last week and thought it was pretty good. I have listened to multiple podcasts, watched all the Datelines, 20/20's, 48 Hours, etc so it was a little too surface level as someone who has been obsessed with the story but I recommend it to people who are unfamiliar.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:35 pm
RolanK wrote:
I am in a place where I look forward to it each week and am generally in, but I also think it is somewhat overrated.
Finished the season yesterday. Entertaining but also overrated is my verdict. Will there be another season? Can’t really see where it will go from here storywise. More of the same?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Clams

Post by Clams »

RolanK wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:39 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
RolanK wrote:
Finished the season yesterday. Entertaining but also overrated is my verdict. Will there be another season? Can’t really see where it will go from here storywise. More of the same?
Watched the entire series and thought it was great. Yes I've read that there will be a season 2 and I'd bet that it will focus on how the BIG LIE affects Joel and Ellie going forward. That last episode, damn, a couple real hard choices had to be made.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Clams wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:38 am
RolanK wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:39 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

Watched the entire series and thought it was great. Yes I've read that there will be a season 2 and I'd bet that it will focus on how the BIG LIE affects Joel and Ellie going forward. That last episode, damn, a couple real hard choices had to be made.
I played the games, so I know exactly where it's going. My lips are sealed.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

I wasted 8 hours of my life watching The Night Agent on Netflix. :cry: You are hereby warned.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

In the current episode of Ted Lasso, Ted says "mercy buckets" instead of merci beaucoup instead of thank you. DBT ahead of the curve as always.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:05 am
In the current episode of Ted Lasso, Ted says "mercy buckets" instead of merci beaucoup instead of thank you. DBT ahead of the curve as always.
I have some catching up to do. For some reason I thought that show was finished after six episodes of season one, and I only realised a few weeks ago there were more to watch. Got no idea how and why technology failed to notify me I was not up to date here??
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
I mean, DBT hardly invented that
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:07 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
I mean, DBT hardly invented that
True but it's not something you hear a lot. At least i don't.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Speaking of familiar language, here's former pitcher Mark Gubicza talking about Bo Jackson in an article comparing Bo to Ohtani:

“Other guys were fast, believe me, but nobody looked and sounded as fast as Bo going down the line — it sounded like a freight train,”

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, ok, if it has Keri Russell in it I'm going to watch it. But even allowing for that bias, the first couple of episodes of The Diplomat were very good. Very much out of Madame Secretary by way of The West Wing it still had enough twists on the formula to be fresh and keep one's interest. But as I say, only 2 episodes in so far.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:29 am
Yeah, ok, if it has Keri Russell in it I'm going to watch it. But even allowing for that bias, the first couple of episodes of The Diplomat were very good. Very much out of Madame Secretary by way of The West Wing it still had enough twists on the formula to be fresh and keep one's interest. But as I say, only 2 episodes in so far.
Whoops. Two more episodes in and I'm having serious doubts about this one. The main plot lines and the main relationships among the principals are already pretty much out of control. Keri Russell is for sure the best thing about the show. We will probably continue to watch the remainder of the season but it's not a sure thing.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I thought this week's episode of Ted Lasso was the season's best by a large margin.

Also finished up this season's Perry Mason and was very disappointed. The season has been a mixed bag anyway but there was always a sense of quality and intention behind the product even if the results didn't always follow. But the denouement was anti-climactic and disappointing, including the "big reveal" of the nefarious plot behind the murder at the center of the case. :(

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:13 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:29 am
Whoops. Two more episodes in and I'm having serious doubts about this one. The main plot lines and the main relationships among the principals are already pretty much out of control. Keri Russell is for sure the best thing about the show. We will probably continue to watch the remainder of the season but it's not a sure thing.
Been binging this with my wife over the weekend. Finished all eight episodes and found it quite entertaining.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:18 pm
Finished all eight episodes and found it quite entertaining.
Can't argue with that in that we did watch the whole series, it moved along at a nice pace and it was not w/out its pleasures. But boy one had to suspend an overwhelming amount of disbelief.

Side note: The reference to Birnam Wood and Dunsinane brought to mind The Paranoid Style song (as well as Macbeth).

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:02 am
RolanK wrote:
Can't argue with that in that we did watch the whole series, it moved along at a nice pace and it was not w/out its pleasures. But boy one had to suspend an overwhelming amount of disbelief.

Side note: The reference to Birnam Wood and Dunsinane brought to mind The Paranoid Style song (as well as Macbeth).
Utterly unrealistic, so purely for entertainment. Maybe I was up for some fun having been watching The Good Mothers on Disney+, about the 'Ndrangheta. Dark, depressing and very good.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Finally finished Daisy Jones and the Six and I have to say, it's one of a kind. I almost always have an opinion on any subject I've been exposed to but I literally have no opinion on this one. There are good things about it, bad things about it and mediocre things about it but it all balances out right at "neutral."

The biggest weakness is that the music doesn't live up to its pre-debut billing and is definitely not meaty enough to convey "biggest band in the world" type success. Always a problem w/ music oriented shows, but in this case the build up was intensely "no, really, trust me, the music is aces." The best thing about the show is the character of Camila and I think the producers may have realized that part way through as her role and importance shifted (that could have been how it was scripted, it just didn't feel that way to me). I can't really recommend it but I'm definitely not warning you away, either. I guess you'll just have to see for yourselves. Or not.

If we're playing the "nepo game," Riley Keough carried off the lead role in a "she earned it" type of way. Not necessarily Emmy award quality but more than good enough.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We loved this one, and I thought the music was much better than one would expect. They said, there are so few series I can make past two episodes that give me Rock & Roll, competently done, and I'm in.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:02 am
RolanK wrote:

We’re five episodes in and the crisp, funny writing is my main takeaway.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Really enjoyed The Diplomat. Sharp writing. Excellent cast. No complaints.